Hunan (South)

1 view

Steve Wertz

Oct 12, 2002, 1:23:08 AM10/12/02
Went to Hunan at Manchaca and William Cannon tonight for takeout. Not
bad at all.

Ordered Crab Puffs, Jalepeno Chicken, Shrimp in Lobster Sauce and
Pork Fried Rice.

The Jalapeno Chicken was nice and spicy, without having to ask.
Probably 2 jalapenos thinlysliced with a pound of thin sliced
chicken, water chestnuts, snow peas and carrots in a rich brown
sauce, not sweet and goopey. I'd rate it an 8 ($7.75)

Shrimp w/Lobster Sauce was a mild clear sauce with not a lot of
lobster flavor, mild but good. Shrimp were slightly overcooked,
but with the button mushrooms, diced carrots, water chestnuts
and peas was still very good, a 7 (for $8.25).

The pork fried rice was slightly marinated stir-fried pork strips
in about 2lbs of fried rice. Generous portion, I'd rate it an 8
($5.25).

Pros: Generous portions, decent value, not sweet and gloopey sauces,
all alike - each dish had a distinct flavor.

Cons: Didn't relize there weren't any crab puffs (6/$3.75) until I
got home. Called them and they made a note of it for next time I'm
in the area. Also, they served their dinners with huge mounds of
rice. For dine-in diners, the entrees were over rice, rather than
on the side. Rice should be served, and ordered seperately. Still,
the portions were almost as big as Din Ho's at about the same price.

The MSG was noticable, people who have MSG-phobia should ask for
their food without. Personally, I don't mind MSG - would rather
have a little than none at all.

Overall I wouldn't rate it as good as Din Ho, but it's the best
Chinese south of the river I've tried. Slightly better than Hao
Hao across the street, but I haven't tried everything ... yet.
Big fishtank in the lobby filled with exotic fish and eel - got
to watch them eat shrimp while I waited.

-sw

gruber

Oct 12, 2002, 10:12:47 PM10/12/02
"Steve Wertz" <swe...@texas.net> wrote in message

Ate there last week. Used to eat there with some frequency, but moved
further west and usually do take out from Fu Lai now. I'd rate them about
even, and probably a little closer to average than your review, but tasty
enough. Dining in, I don't think we've ever had food served over rice, but
entrees served on platters along with a large bowl of rice.

That is a great fish tank though. The kids spend half their time over
there, watching the fish

Stephen

Oct 12, 2002, 11:49:09 PM10/12/02
My wife & I have eaten here 3 times and have only had mild
disappointment on one item. We'd definitely rate it above average--quite
good in fact. Last time we went, she had a HUGE bowl of their
house-specialty noodle-soup. It had shrimp that were very fresh tasting,
not like they were revived from the freezer and dumped into the soup.
Very good. The dish I had -- scallops in garlic sauce-- was a bit
sweetish. While we try other oriental restaurants around, we keep this
one on the list as a regular place. It's always been our experience that
the portions are large, so even if you think it's average, the quantity
should make it a good deal.
Stephen

Steve Wertz

Oct 13, 2002, 12:44:07 AM10/13/02
Steve Wertz wrote:

> Shrimp w/Lobster Sauce was a mild clear sauce with not a lot of
> lobster flavor, mild but good.

I was testing everyone again, and y'all failed miserably!

It has come to my attention that Lobster Sauce is not *supposed* to
have any lobster or lobster flavor, but rather is a sauce *for*
lobster, which explains why it wouldn't taste like lobster and
be a fairly mild sauce.

Doh!

So now ya know ;-)

-sw

Spicoli

Oct 13, 2002, 1:11:27 AM10/13/02

"Steve Wertz" <swe...@texas.net> wrote in message

Boy, do I feel dumb.

Ron M.

Oct 24, 2002, 3:53:25 PM10/24/02
I've GOT to get back there. Back when I lived in town, I used to eat
supper there (I lived about 5 blocks from it) about once a week. Great
place. My favorite dish was the Chicken with Walnuts.

Yeah, they're famous for that aquarium. It's one of the premier marine
aquariums in town.

Ron M.

Steve Wertz

Oct 24, 2002, 6:20:22 PM10/24/02
Karen Kay wrote:

> rmor...@austin.rr.com (Ron M.) wrote in

> > Yeah, they're famous for that aquarium. It's one of the premier
> > marine aquariums in town.
>
> Where are some others?

Buffet Palance North and South have pretty decent aquariums,
but I don't think the fish are as spectacular as at Hunan South.

I don't remember remember what BP has in the way of fish, come
to think of it - I don't remember looking at them that long since
I wasn't waiting for takout ;-)

-sw

Ron M.

Oct 24, 2002, 10:40:23 PM10/24/02
Steve Wertz <swe...@texas.net> wrote in message news:<3DB87226...@texas.net>...

It's not just the fish - and no, I'm not into aquariums, although I
know something about them. It's the overall quality and
professionalism of the installation. Some of the anemones, sponges,
etc. they have growing in there are *extremely* delicate and difficult
to take care of. People who are seriously into marine aquariums drool
over Hunan's tank. Not that it has anything to do with their food...
(-;

Ron M.