EFF-Austin WORD, Issue 1

Ed Cavazos

Sep 29, 1992, 4:08:15 PM9/29/92
=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+

AUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFF
AUST NEFF
AUST NEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUST NEFF
AUST NEFF TIN AUS EFFA AUST TINEF FAUST NEFF
AUST NEFF TIN AUS EFF TINE UST FFAU NEF STIN AUST NEFF
AUST NEFF TIN AUS EFF TINE UST FFAU NEF STIN AUST NEFF
AUST NEFF TIN AUS EFF TINE UST NEF STIN AUST NEFF
AUST NEFF TIN AUS EFF TINE UST FFAU NEF STIN AUST NEFF
AUST NEFF TIN AUS EFF TINE UST FFAU NEF STIN AUST NEFF
AUST NEFFN NEFFA AUST FFAU NEF FAUST NEFF
AUST NEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUST NEFF
AUST NEFF
AUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFFAUSTINEFF

September 1992 Issue 1

=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+

This document is the official newsletter of EFF-Austin, the local Austin
chapter of the Electronic Frontier Foundation. Unless specifically marked
otherwise, all opinions expressed within belong to the individual and should
not be considered the opinion of the organization.

Permission granted to re-distribute this file electronically.
Othwerwise, all rights reserved. (c) 1992.

Contact information:

EFF-Austin Word Editor : David Smith
PO Box 18957 PO Box 4510
Austin, TX 78760 Austin, TX 78763

Internet : eff-a...@tic.com bla...@cactus.wixer.org
Newsgroup: austin.eff The Bamboo Gardens (512) 385-2941
BBS : -- forthcoming -- (WWIV : 46@5285)

=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Welcome editorial.................................... David Smith
Background information of EFF-Austin.................
Sources of Agitprop..................................
August Cyberdawg..................................... David Smith
"Sneakers"........................................... Ed Cavazos
The Underground Scene................................ Max Cray
Next EFF-Austin function: Public Forum on "The Net".. John Quarterman
Line Noise...........................................
Calendar of Austin cyber-events......................
Final Word...........................................

=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+

"Each sysop a lord; each BBS a fiefdom; each network a kingdom: Community?"

EDITORIAL

by David Smith

People toss the phrase "electronic community" with impunity in cyberspace.
Without debate and without dissent we mutually understand and automatically
assume an electronic community exists. It is unthinkable to believe
otherwise.

My observation of Austin is that, at best, what we have instead of a
community are "ghettos of like-minded individuals" <1>. Instead of
providing a common ground for the display of a divergence of ideas,
cyberspace voluntarily sub-divides and self-segregates. If you have an IBM
you call an IBM BBS; if you have a Macintosh you call a Mac BBS; if you have
access to Internet you don't call BBS systems at all. Little-to-accidental
amount of communication crosses the boundaries of these domains.

If EFF-Austin does nothing else than provide a common space to meet, instead
of inside our usual virtual ghettos, then my vision of what the organization
can -- or should --accomplish will be satisfied.

The few events EFF-Austin have already sponsored (1 general meeting, 2
informal mixers (Cyberdawgs)) witnessed an incredibly diverse mix of people.
Artists, writers, and musicians. Students in high school to students
chasing Ph.D's. UT faculty members. Sysops & users. System
administrators. People without computers. People with mainframes. Hackers
from the computer underground. Hackers from the Internet. Plus dozens of
people for whom I can't create categories.

_Word_ will reflect the same diversity of opinion and sub-cultures that
contribute to EFF-Austin. Since this is the first issue, it's filled to the
brim with information which doubles as an EFF-Austin-FAQ: who we are, where
you can find us, some of what we want to do, etc. While the primary focus
will be on the activities of EFF-Austin, we always have room for articles
that explore Texas cyberspace. If you are reading this now, you can
contribute to _Word_.

If you are reading this now, you should join EFF-Austin.

The rest of the issue will provide some reasons why......

* * *

Footnotes --

<1> Phrase completely ripped off from Eric Utne, "The Tribal Salon",
July/August 1992 _Utne Reader_, p. 57.

=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+

Background Information on EFF-Austin

WHAT IS EFF-AUSTIN?

We are a group of local computer and network users, programmers, and
others. We are the first (and only) local chapter of the Electronic
Frontier Foundation, the national organization founded by Mitch Kapor, John
Barlow, John Gilmore, and Steve Wozniak.

The goals of EFF-Austin:

* to engage in and support educational activities that increase
understanding of the opportunities and challenges posed by computing
and telecommunications and related civil liberties issues;

* to foster a clearer social understanding of the issues underlying free
and open telecommunications;

* to facilitate and encourage communication between individuals
interested in computer and telecommunication technology and related
social and legal issues.

WHO IS EFF-AUSTIN?

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

President : John S. Quarterman <j...@tic.com>, author of _The Matrix_,
editor of Matrix News (paper and electronic, monthly),
and a partner in Texas Internet Consulting.

Vice-Pres : Ed Cavazos <pol...@tic.com>, WWIVnet <1@5285>, sysop of
The Bamboo Gardens North BBS - (512) 385-2941, and
UT law student.

Treasurer : Smoot Carl-Mitchell <sm...@tic.com>, former city council
member, partner in Texas Internet Consulting, and co-author
(with John Quarterman) of _Practical Internetworking with
TCP/IP and UNIX_, forthcoming from Addison-Wesley.

Secretary : Steve Jackson <sjac...@tic.com>, game publisher (Steve
Jackson Games) and litigator against the Secret Service for
actions undertaken during Operation Sundevil.

Other Board Members

Matt Lawrence <ma...@tic.com>, software developer.

Vacant
Vacant
Vacant
Vacant

Note: The EFF-Austin charter calls for 9 positions.

OTHER MEMBERS OF THE EFF-AUSTIN ORGANIZATION

Susan Cisco <susan...@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu>, organizer for Bruce
Sterling's October book signing, recent Ph.D graduate from the
University of Texas in library science and information technology.

Jon Lebkowsky <jo...@well.sf.ca.us>, organizer for an EFF-Austin
meeting/presence at the Government and Technology Conference in
February of 1993, moderator of the Mondo 2000 conference at the
WELL, editor of Unshaved Truths, and contributing editor to bOING-
bOING.

Donna McLaughlin <do...@wixer.cactus.org>, Volunteer Co-ordinator for
the general membership, marketing director for Sudona software.

Prentiss Riddle <rid...@rice.edu>, moderator of the austin.eff
newsgroup and mailing list.

David Smith <bla...@wixer.cactus.org>, Chair of the BBS Liaison
Committee, Newsletter Editor, editor/publisher of Scream N *me*me.

directionally gated. (What shows up on one shows up on the other.)
Information and announcements about upcoming EFF-Austin events will be
posted here regularly, as well as debate and discussion about "the
issues"

Note: While the newsgroup is currently only accessible via USENET,
consider this a public forum open to all. We are working on gating this
newsgroup to private networks such as FIDO or WWIV.

FTP site

TIC has donated space on their system to store information about EFF-
Austin. Bylaws, membership forms, minutes, agendas, a copy of the
Info Disk, and some related textfiles can be found at tic.com.
Use anonymous FTP to tic.com, and look in the directory eff-austin.

Info Disk

EFF-Austin has created an introductory "Information Disk". This is a
collection of text files that provide a general overview. Version 1.0
includes issues of the Computer Underground Digest, the August Retsof
list of Austin BBS systems, Crime & Puzzlement by John Barlow,
EFFectors, the EFF-National newsletter, copies of the laws and statutes
affecting computer users, ways to protect rights, as well as information
about EFF-Austin (minutes of meetings, bylaws, membership forms,
articles of incorporation, etc.)

Available at the FTP site, the InfoDisk can also be purchased at public
meetings for $2.

Brochures/literature/t-shirts/flyers/bumper-stickers/magazines

In the music industry we call this "swag" : promotional items with
corporate logos handed out voraciously. While we have not yet advanced
to EFF-Austin plastic pocket protectors, EFF-National has sent us
literature that we've been distributing at public meetings: brochures
that excerpt articles from Scientific American and Forbes; t-shirts with
the EFF-National logo (only a few left, though); bumper stickers that
say "Cybernaut" and "I'd rather be Telecommuting"; and much, much
more. Some is free to members, some is free to all, some of it is
available for a small charge. Whatever the situation, we sure have a
lot to distribute.

=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+

AUGUST CYBERDAWG

by David Smith

On August 22nd, EFF-Austin sponsored it's second Cyberdawg at Europa
Books. Cyberdawgs are informal networking mixers designed for the general
membership to meet face-to-face with others members, as well as the Board of
Directors.

[Keith Goolsbey] : No! Not a mixer! That means that all the boys will
stand at one end of the room and all the girls at the
other while Dan Fogleberg music plays plaintively
through the cafeteria P.A. system.

You should've told the Statesman it was a Toga Party.

Uh....that didn't happen.

What did happen was 60-70 people (total throughout the evening) met to talk
and swap information, both about EFF-Austin and events concerning cyberspace
in general. A central table distributed information about EFF-Austin,
brochures and literature given to us by EFF-National, membership forms (we
ran out and couldn't find an open copier nearby), Info Disks, and name tags.
These were a great success, since people placed not only their names, but
electronic mailing addresses and any identifying information about
themselves as well. This helped tremendously in "breaking the ice" and
sparking conversation.

Who was there?

At the inaugural EFF-Austin general meeting in May, about 75% of the people
present were from the UNIX / Internet subculture. In contrast, the August
Cyberdawg was attended by a well-mixed blend of sysops, artists, students
(from high school to college to Ph.D candidates), members of UT academia,
musicians, and authors and journalists of both print and electronic
publications. Almost a dozen people followed World View publisher Scott
Davis from Houston to attend, as well.

SOME PRODUCTIVE STUFF HAPPENED.....

John Quarterman was seen handing out copies of Matrix News and asking
people to submit articles; at least two people approached Paco Nathan about
submitting artwork to bOING-bOING; Max Cray volunteered to head the
crime/legal section of the EFF-Austin newsletter; invitations to the
Radiance Rave were handed out; (which I reviewed for the next issue of Jon
Lebkowsky's zine, _Unshaved Truths_); Nervousboy spoke with the staff of Dr.
Joe Guy Pan Presents about scanning images to create an electronic comic
book; flyers were distributed by the sysops of Pair-O-Dice and real/time
communications; EFF-Austin sold enough copies of the Info Disk to break even
(actually, we made a .40 cent profit); and this is all that I personally
noticed.

Keep in mind that I probably missed about 80% of the conversations, so you
can only imagine the full effect of the Cyberdawg.

SOME WEIRD STUFF HAPPENED.....

One of *my* friends handed me two one-dollar-bills for the Infodisk, both of
which were stamped with a cartoon balloon saying "I Grew Hemp" coming out of
George Washington's mouth. People liked this idea so much that he was asked
to stamp their dollar bills as well. Which he did.

John Foster, maintainer of the Austin Retsof BBS list, consented to
including the latest file on the Infodisk, but requested that we save the
backing sheets of any labels we might use. Why? So that he and his wife
may store items from their Chiquita banana sticker collection. These are
stickers that banana companies place on their bananas. People collect them.
Honest.

While standing outside of Europa, two of Ed Cavazos' friend walked up with a
plastic styrofoam cup. Inside was a fruit bat which had been found crawling
on the sidewalk. They wanted to know what should be done with it.

"uh...set it free?"

Speaking of Ed, have him tell you sometime the story of the mysterious &
beautiful blonde woman who took him aside, muttered only a few words, and
now has his head spinning in conspiracy theories....even *before* we
discovered she was one of the many stars of Slacker......

SOME "JUST STUFF" HAPPENED......

But more than being fun, the Cyberdawg provided an opportunity for
conversation and information-swapping not normally found any place else.
David Shapiro (Dr. Cat) had just returned from One BBS Con, and talked about
the parallels between the professional BBS industry and the gaming industry,
essentially being a decade behind. Bruce Sterling held "center court" : at
any event he seems to be constantly surrounded by a semi-circle of six to
ten people listening closely to the expression of his views. Having it at
Europa helped as well. Jon Wiley (Hagbard) was surprised to learn that "the
future of cyberspace is architecture", as he bought a copy of Michael
Benidikt's book, _Cyberspace: The First Steps_. The latest issue of Mondo
2000 and 2600 were also popular sellers.

To summarize, Cyberdawgs are designed to be fun, informative, and
productive. If you missed this one, simply make a point to attend the next
one, currently slated for November.

* * *

Organizer's notes: Thanks to Lyn, owner of Europa Books for the wine,
cheese, table, and venue. [Btw, he's asked for feedback on what type of
books and magazines, etc., the members of EFF-Austin are interested in
buying. Let him know]; Troy Gonzales for the graphic illustration of the
"Cyberdawg"; Robert Anderson and Mike Monteiro (Nervousboy) for the layout
and design of the flyers; and Ed "are you writing any of this down" Cavazos
for the Info Disks, labels, cash, and excellent driving skills.

And, of course, all the people who showed up.

=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+

SNEAKERS

Reviewed by Ed Cavazos

On September 3, EFF-Austin members (and lots of non-members who follow
our newsgroup) were given a chance to see a special screening of "Sneakers,"
a new film by Universal Studios. Sneakers is written and produced by Walter
Parkes and Lawrence Lasker, who movie buffs will remember for their work
with "Wargames." Director Phil Robinson is best known for writing the
screenplay for "Field of Dreams."

Like "Wargames," Sneakers is set in the world of high-tech hackers and
crackers. The plot finds Robert Redford's character (a former renegade
hacker turned legitimate) leading his group of eccentric computer security
experts on a suspenseful "mission-impossible" type adventure to recapture a
dangerous black box which has fallen into the wrong hands. The box has the
capability to decrypt all known codes. The wrong hands into which the box
has fallen belong to Redford's evil counterpart -- a former comrade from his
golden days of 1960's mainframe hacking. Redford's group face countless
technical obstacles as they physically and electronically infiltrate the
enemy facilities in their attempt to recover the decryption device.

Featuring a proverbial star-studded cast (including Redford, Sidney
Potier, Dan Akroyd, David Straitham, River Phoenix, Ben Kingsley, and Mary
McDonald), the movie is worth watching simply because it will draw many
people who will be receiving their first exposure to themes that EFF-Austin
members discuss and debate regularly.

One such theme is that "information is power." This idea underlies much
of the early movie, and is later expressed explicitly by Redford's nemesis,
an evil mafia controlled hacker. Although few of the people reading this
will argue with what seems like an obvious idea, many people have yet to
realize its profundity. This causes problems when people who are responsible
for writing, enforcing, and interpreting social policies take blind stabs at
issues they have not properly reasoned through. To have the idea verbalized
by the raving criminal maniac of the film does it some injustice.
"Information is power" is not an ideology. It is not something that "bad
guys" or "good guys" can take credit for. It is simply an increasingly
accurate statement of the state of our society. How that knowledge is
used depends on the individual.

To make matters worse, in the same diatribe, the villain uses the
"information is power" notion as a premise for his personal criminal threat.
He tells Redford's character that he could "crash the system" with the magic
box, and he's not talking about Compuserve when he refers to "the
system." He's talking about our social order. This is just more fodder for
the hacker phobia created by "War Games" and fueled by the countless media
perversions of events like the Internet worm and Operation Sundevil. The
"system" is so extensive and diverse that short of a massive global electro-
magnetic pulse (which still arguably might not do the trick) it is not
vulnerable to a maniacal evil hacker -- especially one armed with a device
about the size of a Sony Walkman.

A second theme worth mentioning is that the proper use of technical
prowess involves stealing from rich conservative institutions and giving to
angelic left-wing organizations. Redford's character is seen doing this at
the beginning of the movie, in the context of his early hacking mischief,
and again at the end (as he steals from the Republican Party to give to
Green Peace, Amnesty International and others).

As amusing as the idea might be to some of us, the bottom line is that
digital Robin Hoods paint a bad picture about the proper use of a hacker's
skills. Like the "information is power" theme, portraying the protagonist
as a radical-supporting thief will push the wrong buttons in those who are
not cognizant of the fact that the technology is but a neutral tool, which
can be used by different individuals in different ways.

These criticisms aside, the movie was ultimately entertaining. A
notable local cyberpunk has pointed out that everyone who has ever played a
good espionage/tech role playing game wishes their campaign would be like
"Sneakers". Non-computer people seem to enjoy the film, too. This was made
clear to me while sitting at a local restaurant with some infamous Austin
electronic personalities. A perfect stranger, who had overheard some of our
"computer talk" (and had seen Loyd Blankenship a.k.a The Mentor hauling
around some software) approached our table to let us know that we should all
see "Sneakers", because it was really "neat." She then proceeded to tell us
that, even though she was not a computer geek ("I have trouble with Lotus!")
she enjoyed the film immensely. Obviously, Redford and company will bring
the ideas in "Sneakers" to a wide range of people.

Although the more technically-oriented audience members will undoubtedly
grumble about some of the seemingly implausible electronic gadgetry, or the
out and out inaccurate depictions of computer and telecommunication
equipment, most of us will happily let these fly right over our head and
enjoy the movie. Let's face it: given the horrible treatment computers and
telecommunications have historically been subject to at the hands of the
media, "Sneakers" could have been a nightmare. Instead, it's a fun way to
spend a couple of hours living vicariously through the lives of exciting
fictional hackers.

* * *

Note: Special thanks go to Universal Picture for providing the 175 free
passes to the show, and to Steve Jackson and his staff at Steve Jackson
Games for facilitating and organizing the event.

=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+

The Underground Scene

by Max Cray

Hi. I have been nominated to write a column dealing with the computer
underground scene for the EFF Austin electronic newsletter. I am also the
editor of an underground tech journal called Digital Free Press. Back
issues of DFP, as well as many other underground journals can be found at
the cud archives at ftp.eff.org. If you do not have ftp access to the
Internet, you might try sending mail to archive...@eff.org. I will do
my best to provide you with interesting information and news. If you have
anything you think should be included please feel free to mail it to me at:

max%und...@uunet.uu.net

or you may leave me e-mail on the Pair of Dice BBS (451-7117).

Since this is the newsletter of the local chapter of the EFF, I am
particularly interested in covering the local computer underground scene,
but unfortunately I just moved into the area, and do not know much about it.

I hope to be providing more info about this area in the future.

[Ed. note: So that Max doesn't look nearly as foolish, let me add that Max
submitted some information with this introduction that had to be cut because
of size limitations and appropriateness of material]

=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+

[Note: By the time you read this newsletter, the Public Forum will already
have taken place. A full(er) account will be given in the October
newsletter. This is included now to provide a taste of what EFF-Austin
sponsors.]

Meeting notice EFF-Austin Please redistribute
Public Forum

Monday, 28 September, 6-9PM
Location: MCC (NW corner of Mopac and Braker)

The Net
What is it, Where is it, Who uses it, and for What
UUCP, FidoNet, BITNET, USENET
NSFNET, ANSNet, CO+RE; PSINet, Alternet, CERFNET, CIX
NREN and the Internet
the Matrix
John Quarterman and Smoot Carl-Mitchell, TIC and MIDS, Austin
Anna Couey, art networker, San Francisco

Do you need FTP to do USENET? If you can send mail, are you on the
Internet? How many users are there, on which nets and where? What can they
do with their networks (mail, lists, and news; remote login, file transfer,
and databases; archie, WAIS, and gopher; technical collaboration, social and
political activism, and art)? How can non-institutional or non-technical
users get access? Where do the WELL, TMN, IGC, CompuServe, and Prodigy fit
in?

Bring your own questions; we will try to answer them. We will show
network maps. We will demonstrate some Internet services online, thanks to
MCC.

All are welcome. Here is an opportunity for all the different types and
levels of computer users to meet, mingle, and learn. Non-members are
encouraged to attend. EFF-Austin officers and others will speak briefly at
the beginning.

=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+

LINE NOISE

Consider this the "grab bag" section of the newsletter.

Any EFF-Austin member can place a notice or announcement in this section,
whether it refers to a EFF-Austin or not.

For example, there is a large horde of publishers/writers/editors in the
ranks of EFF-Austin. Jon Lebkwosky might want to publish a call for
submissions to his print zine, _Unshaved Truths_. Paco Xander Nathan has
been circulating surveys to gather information for an article in bOING-
bOING. They both might want to place an announcement concerning the latest
issue of bOING-bOING. (Which contains an excellent parody of Mondo 2000,
btw).

Perhaps a "community bulletin board" of the old-fashion peg and cork board
definition is a more appropriate analogy, but the point remains: this space
is for the members of EFF-Austin to use as they please.

The small print: These notices must be of interest to the electronic
community, "of interest" being defined by the editor. They should be about
a paragraph in length. They should be "one-time" deals, no running BBS
advertisements, for example.

Deadline for submission is the second Tuesday of each month, to be included
in that month.

=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+=+-+

EFF-AUSTIN CALENDAR OF EVENTS
SEPTEMBER - DECEMBER, 1992

This is a calendar of events for official EFF-Austin events as well as
events considered to be of interest to members and the general electronic
community. If you are in charge of publicity for your organization, then
please contact me about an entry. Send updates and new information to
bla...@wixer.cactus.org, or via snailmail to PO Box 4510, Austin TX 78763.
Deadline for submission will be the second Tuesday of each month, to be
included in that month's issue.

SEPTEMBER

[Note: These two September events have already gone past, but will be
reviewed in next month's issue of _Word_]

September 27th (Sunday -- 7:00 p.m.)

"Textures in Cyberspace: a verbal jam session"

Panel discussion of the artistic exploration of cyberspace, featuring
Bob Anderson, artist, lecturer UT Art Dept., Austin sysop; Anna Couey,
San Francisco-based telecommunications artist, Network Co-ordinator for
Arts Wire; Marcos Novak, Director, Advanced Design Research of the
School of Architecture at UT; Vernon Reed, cybernetic jeweler, artist,
lecturer; Allucquere Roseanne Stone, director of the Interactive
Multimedia Laboratory of the Radio/TV/Film Dept. at UT, organizer of the
1991 Second International Conference on Cyberspace. Held at High Times
Tea Bar and Brain Gym, 314 Congress Avenue.

Contact: Jon Lebkowsky (jo...@sf.well.ca.us).

September 28th (Monday -- 6:00 p.m.)

EFF-Austin Public Forum: "The Net: What is it, Where is it, Who Uses it,
and for What?"

Led by John S. Quarterman and Smoot Carl-Mitchell (Texas Internet
Consulting), Anna S. Couey, art networker, San Francisco. Held at MCC,
NW Corner of Braker and Mopac.

OCTOBER

October 9th - 11th

Armadillo Science Fiction convention.

I have very little solid information; this entry has been pieced
together from different conversations. Mike Godwin, who handles most of
the legal work for EFF-National, is in charge of some of the content,
and will be attending. Mike hopes to meet with members of EFF-Austin as
well, though the logistics have not been worked out yet. EFF-Austin is
attempting to secure an information table at the convention as well.
Location and convention content : unknown.

October 13th - 14th

Frontiers in High-Performance Computing Symposium

"Parallel high performance computers are now capable of performing
billions of floating point operations per second, allowing researchers
to develop algorithms for solving physical problems that require
computational capabilities well beyond those of conventional
supercomputers. To successfully solve such problems, teams consisting
of members from different disciplines must collaborate to advance
hardware, software, and education in the field of scientific computing.

At The University of Texas at Austin, several departments in the
College of Natural Sciences and in the College of Engineering are
aggressively pursuing interdisciplinary research and education in the
field and have agreed on the creation of an interdisciplinary
Computational Applied Mathematics (CAM) Ph.D. program.

The 1992 Frontiers in High-Performance Computing Symposium will
explore these and related topics on Tuesday, October 13, and Wednesday,
October 14. The Frontiers Symposium is an annual event designed to
bring together university faculty and students with industry leaders to
discuss areas of common interest.

Registration is free for academics and employees of high-tech computing
industry (there's an approved list), $95 for everyone else. For full
program information, contact contact ca...@cs.texas.edu.

October 29th (Thursday -- 7:30 p.m.)

EFF-Austin Public Forum with Bruce Sterling

Noted science fiction writer and techno-journalist Bruce Sterling will
discuss his latest nonfiction work, _The Hacker Crackdown: Law and
Disorder on the Electronic Frontier_. This is a journalistic
investigation of Operation Sun Devil and related threats to electronic
freedoms. Copies will be available for sale and Bruce has promised
to sign each book sold at the meeting. The Public Forum will be held in
the Al Kiva Room (EDB-104) in the Education Building at The University
of Texas at Austin. (Speedway at MLK). After 5:00 pm, visitors may
park in UT parking spaces that are not marked F-99 or handicapped, and
in adjacent State of Texas parking lots.

Contact : susan...@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu

NOVEMBER

EFF-Austin Cyberdawg

This informal networking mixer will be organized by Willard Uncaphur
<wil...@well.sf.ca.us>, though none of the decisions concerning
date/location/place have been determined yet. Tracey LaQuay Parker is
scheduled, however, to sign copies of her latest book.

DECEMBER

December 18 through December 20

The Third Annual Xmascon (aka h0h0con)

Hosted by dfx International as well as Cult of the Dead Cow, this is a
computer underground conference for "all hackers, journalists, security
personnel, federal agents, lawyers, authors, and other interested
parties." The location was previously announced at the Howard Johnson's
- - Hobby Airport in Houston, but if you've read the account in Issue
4.45 of the Computer Underground Digest, that site has fallen through.
A new site is expected to be announced shortly.

Contact d...@nuchat.sccsi.com for more information.

JANUARY

EFF-Austin Public Forum : Sysop Liability

This will be a panel discussion on the legal implications of being a
sysop. Contact: pol...@tic.com or WWIVnet: 1@5285

REGULARLY SCHEDULED MEETINGS AND EVENTS

Austin Macintosh Developers Association meets the third Monday of each
month (7 pm at MCC, 3500 W. Balcones Center Drive).

Austin Robot Group meets every Thursday at Ted's Greek Restaurant, from 5:30
to 7:30 pm.

CACTUS meets the third Thursday of each month (7 pm at Dell Computer
Building in the Arboretum).

EFF-Austin
Board of Director meetings : 2nd Tuesday of each month
General membership meetings : alternate monthly between informal
mixers (Cyberdawgs) and more presentation-oriented meetings.

High Times Tea Bar and Brain Gym presents The Underground Coffeehouse
every Thursday from 8 pm to 2 am.
+ FINAL WORD =
- +
+ Slogan on Cyberdawg flyer: "If you don't have a computer, go get one" -