some functional followup from the Strange Loop conference

Sukant Hajra

Oct 17, 2010, 8:45:04 PM10/17/10
to aust...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

This is mostly a followup to something I said to Cody at the Strange Loop
conference we attended (there's links to the presentations [1]).

Daniel Spiewak gave a replay of his "High Wizardry in Scala" talk. There's a
Vimeo link to a previous delivery of that talk [2]. After that talk I was
commenting to Cody that the continuations portion had some overlap with another
Vimeo video I'd seen by Chris League [3]; I liked Chris's delivery.

That's the followup that prompted this post. Here's a little more about the
conference.

Chris Houser's presentation on "Clojure's Solutions to the Expression Problem"
has some overlap with our discussions about type classes in Scala and Haskell.
It was interesting to see how Clojure addressed these problems (I believe Rich
Hickey looked at Scala's implicits before implementing Clojure's protocols).
Even without video, the PDF should be easy to follow [4].

Other than that, the key notes from this conference were pretty amazing,
especially Guy Steele's and Douglas Crockford's. However, the PDFs just can't
capture any of the awesomeness (sorry). Some people were commenting that key
notes at other conferences can be pretty bad, so it was nice that Strange Loop
went after some quality key note speakers. Some of the normal sessions were
duds, though. . . but oh well, that happens. Overall, I enjoyed myself and
will probably try to go again next year.

I'm not sure whether you guys met up this weekend. But I'll be back at Genuine
Joe's in about two weeks on October 30 at 2PM (it's on the calendar). The two
papers Larry posted gave me a /lot/ of food for thought, and I might have some
of the examples coded up to play around with on the projector if anyone's
interested.

-Sukant

[1] http://strangeloop2010.com/talk/presentations
[2] http://vimeo.com/13518456