We need a new grid ad

1 view

Sylvia Else

Mar 22, 2009, 9:14:39 PM3/22/09
Did anyone catch this ad on TV last night?

One of the claims made, if I heard it correctly, was that more than 50%
of power going into the grid never reaches a light bulb.

My immediate thought was "nonsense."

But, of course, it's true, because most of the power going into the grid
is used for purposes other than lighting.

Which left me wondering. Was this ad some greenie thing, using
deliberately misleading comments to deceive the public into thinking
that the power grid is much less efficient than it actually is?

Sylvia.

TG'sFM

Mar 22, 2009, 9:23:20 PM3/22/09

That's one of many ads that are purposely misleading. There was one
late last night that asked you to text your name and the name of your
partner and they'll text back with the name of your next child. So I
typed two boys names, and they texted back "Natasha". Everyone knows
that two boys can't produce a baby girl.

Horry

Mar 22, 2009, 10:19:45 PM3/22/09

Errr... test-tube babies???

TG'sFM

Mar 22, 2009, 10:20:42 PM3/22/09

Please explain how tow boys can produce a test tube baby girl?

DavidW

Mar 22, 2009, 11:14:25 PM3/22/09

I didn't see the ad, but from your description I'm wondering if they were
talking about the losses that occur along the way to your house, and only used
the light bulb example as a snappy line. There are transmission lines of around
1000 amps and a bunch of transformers between the power station and your light
bulbs. OTOH, if that's what they meant then their snappy line made it plain
wrong, so it's either very sloppy or very underhanded.

Mr.T

Mar 23, 2009, 12:11:12 AM3/23/09

"DavidW" <n...@email.provided> wrote in message

The generator to end user efficiency is more than 50%, so Sylvia's
explanation is the same one I would assume.
Why we would need an ad to tell us lighting usage is less than 50% of power
consumption is hard to fathom though.

MrT.

Sylvia Else

Mar 23, 2009, 12:31:56 AM3/23/09

There's nothing to prevent a woman from having a boy's name. It's a bit
unusual of course, but the service might reasonably assume that if you
are using the service, then you have a realistic expectation of having a
future child. Then again, the assumption of that level of intelligence
in a person using such a service has to be somewhat questionable.

Alternatively, one could take the view that it is not actually false to
assert that Natasha will be the name of the next child born to a couple
consisting of two men.

Sylvia.

TG'sFM

Mar 23, 2009, 1:31:07 AM3/23/09

So you are seriously trying to tell me that Barack Obama and Osama Bin
Ladin are going to have a child named Natasha?

Sylvia Else

Mar 23, 2009, 1:42:20 AM3/23/09

No, and from your description, that's not what the service is asserting
either. Indeed, it would be surprising if they ever asserted that a
particular couple would have a child, because some couples don't.

What the service appears to be asserting is that *if* Barack and Osama
get it together, and manage to produce a child, *then* then child will
be named Natasha.

This is an example of the statement in boolean logic: A false
proposition implies any proposition.

Sylvia.

TG'sFM

Mar 23, 2009, 1:45:46 AM3/23/09

OK, so I've just sms'd the names Peter Brock and Steve Irwin, and the
message received was "Christine". How can two dead guys produce a
baby girl?

Sylvia Else

Mar 23, 2009, 1:57:20 AM3/23/09

That's essentially the same as the previous situation. In the
circumstances, the fact that they're dead doesn't really change anything.

Sylvia.

Mr.T

Mar 23, 2009, 2:24:25 AM3/23/09

"Sylvia Else" <syl...@not.at.this.address> wrote in message

> TG'sFM wrote:
> > OK, so I've just sms'd the names Peter Brock and Steve Irwin, and the
> > message received was "Christine". How can two dead guys produce a
> > baby girl?
>
> That's essentially the same as the previous situation. In the
> circumstances, the fact that they're dead doesn't really change anything.

I bet TG's texted the IQ line as well, and received the answer "zero". :-)

MrT.

TG'sFM

Mar 23, 2009, 2:47:28 AM3/23/09

Why do you insist on replying to me AFTER you have claimed to have me
killfiled? What OTHER bodily functions can't you control?

Hawkman

Mar 23, 2009, 2:59:47 AM3/23/09

Er, what is it with your concern of other men's bodily functions, pray
tell, TG'sFM? The NG knows you are a homosexual who likes little boys,
what else are you hiding from the Group?

TG'sFM

Mar 23, 2009, 3:16:06 AM3/23/09

If, as you suggest, that the whole newsgroup is aware that I am a
homosexual who likes little boys, then how is that "hiding"? You
really didn't think that one through before asking your mummy to
press the "send" key, did you moron?

Big LN

Mar 23, 2009, 3:27:46 AM3/23/09
"Sylvia Else" <syl...@not.at.this.address> wrote in message

How could you find a true claim misleading? I would've thought that
comprehension was one of your stronger points.

'Onya

Big LN

Mar 23, 2009, 3:40:58 AM3/23/09
"TG'sFM" <suv...@yahoo.fr> wrote in message

>If, as you suggest, that the whole newsgroup is aware that I am a
>homosexual who likes little boys, then how is that "hiding"? You
>really didn't think that one through before asking your mummy to
>press the "send" key, did you moron?

I wasn't aware of this. That's sick.

No 'onyas for Sickos

TG'sFM

Mar 23, 2009, 3:48:11 AM3/23/09

Yes, he really does have to ask his mummy to press the send key for
him. What a sicko.

Hawkman

Mar 23, 2009, 4:09:22 AM3/23/09

Er, Moron, at least I don't need to ask my mummy whether I can goto the
toilet or not, and when I do, I have to get to her wipe my arse, like
yours does.

IRHTHAI

Sylvia Else

Mar 23, 2009, 4:10:16 AM3/23/09

Claims that are designed to be misconstrued seem common enough in
advertisements.

It's unlikely that anyone really felt the need to tell us that less than
50% of generated power is used for lighting. The take home message was
meant to be that more than 50% of generated power is lost in the grid.
But they can't just come out and say that, because it's not true. So
they say something that's likely to be construed that way by anyone who
doesn't pay close attention. Even I construed it that way initially. It
was only a rare manifestation of scepticism on my part that caused me to
think more about exactly what had been said.

Sylvia.

TG'sFM

Mar 23, 2009, 4:27:41 AM3/23/09

Hang on- first you say you DON'T have to ask your mummy, and then you
say "and when I do". I think you just made a Freudian slip there. It
must be embarrassing being you right now.

Big LN

Mar 23, 2009, 6:41:54 AM3/23/09
"TG'sFM" <suv...@yahoo.fr> wrote in message

Well comprehended.

'Onya

Horry

Mar 23, 2009, 6:45:30 AM3/23/09

You think THAT'S sick?

There's a lot sicker where that came from.

Have you sorted out the problems with your Angel Status yet?

Big LN

Mar 23, 2009, 6:50:10 AM3/23/09
"Horry" <horace...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I'm no angel.

Still can't understand why anyone would pay money to play a Facebook game
that they can play for free? LOL. Being a VIP or Angel member just means
they can create races - big deal - who cares - the fun part (free) is the
gambling and watching the horses race.

'Onya

Horry

Mar 23, 2009, 7:01:49 AM3/23/09
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 21:50:10 +1100, Big LN wrote:

> "Horry" <horace...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 18:40:58 +1100, Big LN wrote:
>>
>>> "TG'sFM" <suv...@yahoo.fr> wrote in message

>>> news:18b2665a-7327-46f4-921b-
c35ee9...@d2g2000pra.googlegroups.com...

>>> I wasn't aware of this. That's sick.
>>
>> You think THAT'S sick?
>>
>> There's a lot sicker where that came from.
>>
>> Have you sorted out the problems with your Angel Status yet?
>
> I'm no angel.
>
> Still can't understand why anyone would pay money to play a Facebook
> game that they can play for free? LOL. Being a VIP or Angel member just
> means they can create races - big deal - who cares - the fun part (free)
> is the gambling and watching the horses race.

How much does Angel Status cost?

^Tems^

Mar 23, 2009, 8:52:15 AM3/23/09

I was bored on there and had a look around, he has a few payment
sections put into it, if you are into the gambling side you can buy more
coin, I think it is us$1 for $1000 HR dollars.

That Bridges woman is a fruit cake, Has a heap of horse with names like
I am leaving and No one join but she is on top of the tree with 1.7
trillion $$

Hahahah I wonder how much of her real money she put into that.

I was up to 6 horses and figured to keep them fit and off the roids and
put two in each race and get 1st and 2nd to build up the cash.
Got home drunk saturday night saw a fake neddy at 4-1 so put all my
$300k on it and lost.

Glad I wasn't Jean Bridges and spent $300k of my real money

Trevor Wilson

Mar 23, 2009, 1:21:26 PM3/23/09

"Mr.T" <MrT@home> wrote in message

**I've not seen the ad, so I can't comment on it directly. However, it is,
IMO, VERY important to explain to people that using CFLs and turning off
VCRs will only make a small difference in power consumption. Space heating,
hot water heating, air conditioning and pool filtration have far larger
impacts. For domestic situations.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Big LN

Mar 23, 2009, 7:04:56 PM3/23/09

LOL. What HR server are you on? I was on 30 something earlier this year for
a week or so but my horse (Bondi Brawler) died from steroid abuse. Won a coupla
races but blew me dough on other races. I might join your HR server.

'Onya

^Tems^

Mar 23, 2009, 8:22:12 PM3/23/09

HR13

TG'sFM

Mar 23, 2009, 8:31:06 PM3/23/09
On Mar 24, 10:22 am, ^Tems^ <stevebrook...@live.com> wrote:
> Big LN wrote:
> > ^Tems^<stevebrook...@live.com>  wrote:

Will you two (2) get a room. Your conversation has nothing whatsoever
to do with australian television.

^Tems^

Mar 23, 2009, 8:38:05 PM3/23/09

It does actually, we are discussing an application on Facebook, David
Spade was on Letterman last night on Channel 10 and said his mother
(Judy) was now using Facebook.

TG'sFM

Mar 23, 2009, 9:01:09 PM3/23/09

Fair enuf then.

Big LN

Mar 23, 2009, 9:22:19 PM3/23/09

"TG'sFM" <suv...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

>On Mar 24, 10:38=A0am, ^Tems^ <stevebrook...@live.com> wrote:
>> TG'sFM wrote:

>com...
>to press
>a Faceboo=

>member
>part
>can buy

>names
>of the =

>tree with
>roids
>all my
>this ye=

>ar for
>abuse. Wo=

>n a coupla
>server.
>>
>> > Will you two (2) get a room. =A0Your conversation has nothing
>whatsoeve=

>> > to do with australian television.
>>
>> It does actually, we are discussing an application on Facebook,
>David
>> Spade was on Letterman last night on Channel 10 and said his mother
>> (Judy) was now using Facebook.
>
>Fair enuf then.

I'll head over to HR13 at 7.30 tonight and create a horse to race against Tems
Way.

'Onya

DavidW

Mar 23, 2009, 9:23:30 PM3/23/09
Mr.T wrote:
> "DavidW" <n...@email.provided> wrote in message
>> Sylvia Else wrote:
>>> Did anyone catch this ad on TV last night?
>>>
>>> One of the claims made, if I heard it correctly, was that more than
>>> 50% of power going into the grid never reaches a light bulb.
>>>
>>> My immediate thought was "nonsense."
>>>
>>> But, of course, it's true, because most of the power going into the
>>> grid is used for purposes other than lighting.
>>>
>>> Which left me wondering. Was this ad some greenie thing, using
>>> deliberately misleading comments to deceive the public into thinking
>>> that the power grid is much less efficient than it actually is?
>>
>> I didn't see the ad, but from your description I'm wondering if they
>> were talking about the losses that occur along the way to your
>> house, and only used the light bulb example as a snappy line. There
>> are transmission lines of around 1000 amps and a bunch of
>> transformers between the power station and your light bulbs. OTOH,
>> if that's what they meant then their snappy line made it plain
>> wrong, so it's either very sloppy or very underhanded.
>

> The generator to end user efficiency is more than 50%, so Sylvia's
> explanation is the same one I would assume.

Apparently, the losses on the US grid are only 7-8%. That looks very, very
impressive to me.

^Tems^

Mar 23, 2009, 9:29:57 PM3/23/09

Do you mean Tems Lad?
Tems Way passed away last week

1st Tems Lad [1-1] [0-1] [0-1]

Mr.T

Mar 23, 2009, 9:45:52 PM3/23/09

"Trevor Wilson" <trevor@_SPAMBLOCK_rageaudio.com.au> wrote in message

> **I've not seen the ad, so I can't comment on it directly. However, it is,
> IMO, VERY important to explain to people that using CFLs and turning off
> VCRs will only make a small difference in power consumption. Space
heating,
> hot water heating, air conditioning and pool filtration have far larger
> impacts. For domestic situations.

So why don't the ads say that?
What the morons really need IMO is ads telling them that halogen downlights
do not use less electricity for the same overall room illumination, but
their fridge probably uses more power in any case.

MrT.

Big LN

Mar 23, 2009, 9:47:03 PM3/23/09

OK. I was just looking at my Facebook page and there was a message there that
said "Tems Way has been born. Give a treat to Tems Way". Must've been an old
message. Never mind, I'll give Tems Lad a run for its money instead. A few
roids should do the trick!

'Onya

Trevor Wilson

Mar 23, 2009, 10:10:07 PM3/23/09

> "Trevor Wilson" <trevor@_SPAMBLOCK_rageaudio.com.au> wrote in message
>> **I've not seen the ad, so I can't comment on it directly. However, it
>> is,
>> IMO, VERY important to explain to people that using CFLs and turning off
>> VCRs will only make a small difference in power consumption. Space
> heating,
>> hot water heating, air conditioning and pool filtration have far larger
>> impacts. For domestic situations.
>
> So why don't the ads say that?

**You're asking the wrong person. I have not even seen the ad.

> What the morons really need IMO is ads telling them that halogen
> downlights
> do not use less electricity for the same overall room illumination, but
> their fridge probably uses more power in any case.

**And the pool filter blows that away.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Mr.T

Mar 23, 2009, 10:17:03 PM3/23/09

> **And the pool filter blows that away.

Thankfully not everyone has a pool (especially considering the water they
use as well)
However very few don't have a fridge.

MrT.

Trevor Wilson

Mar 23, 2009, 10:41:50 PM3/23/09

"Mr.T" <MrT@home> wrote in message

**Indeed. Nor a hot water system. Through some nifty choices and some good
luck, I've managed to reduce my hot water bill (off peak) to around
$17.00/quarter (two person household). This is down from around
$70.00/quarter with the old off-peak system. My water consumption (which
includes a garden) is less than the average one person household for Sydney.
I'm still building my rainwater storage tank (8,000 Litres), so, when that
is completed, I expect that consumption to fall substantially.

Talk about fridges: I visited the in-laws a few weeks back. For two people,
they have three fridges and one large chest freezer. All are old and
probably have crap insulation and poor seals. I suspect they're not alone. I
just shake my head. Then again I just replaced the brushes, re-greased the
gearbox and lubricated the bearings on the father in-law's old Black &
Decker drill. The 'waste not, want not' generation. The job was probably
worth about $100.00. All for a $30.00 drill.

Still, I scored some serious brownie points.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

^Tems^

Mar 24, 2009, 1:21:22 AM3/24/09

That poor bugger has died too

Your horse Tems Lad has died at the age of 10 days.

(Horses usually die from either old age or Roid rage)

May have to race Horry's Gone

Horry

Mar 24, 2009, 1:54:28 AM3/24/09
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:41:50 +1100, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>> Thankfully not everyone has a pool (especially considering the water
>> they use as well)
>> However very few don't have a fridge.
>
> **Indeed. Nor a hot water system. Through some nifty choices and some
> good luck, I've managed to reduce my hot water bill (off peak) to around
> $17.00/quarter (two person household). This is down from around
> $70.00/quarter with the old off-peak system. My water consumption (which
> includes a garden) is less than the average one person household for
> Sydney. I'm still building my rainwater storage tank (8,000 Litres), so,
> when that is completed, I expect that consumption to fall substantially.
>
> Talk about fridges: I visited the in-laws a few weeks back.

lol... You're married? How did you scam that?

Mr.T

Mar 24, 2009, 3:01:03 AM3/24/09

> > However very few don't have a fridge.
>
> **Indeed. Nor a hot water system.

Ah but few people have a gas fridge, many have gas hot water.

> Talk about fridges: I visited the in-laws a few weeks back. For two
people,
> they have three fridges and one large chest freezer. All are old and
> probably have crap insulation and poor seals. I suspect they're not alone.
> just shake my head.

Yes, some people are reconsidering the old "beer fridge" in the garage
though.

>Then again I just replaced the brushes, re-greased the
> gearbox and lubricated the bearings on the father in-law's old Black &
> Decker drill. The 'waste not, want not' generation. The job was probably
> worth about $100.00. All for a $30.00 drill.

But it cost him nothing, rather than $30 right?
And if the bearings needed lubrication, it wasn't a $30 drill anyway, which
almost invariably use bushes.

MrT.

Big LN

Mar 24, 2009, 3:12:36 AM3/24/09
"^Tems^" <steveb...@live.com> wrote in message

10 days? WTF? Did you feed and care for it or something? Mine die after 3
days of roids and neglect. Heading there now to create some new ones. What
are some good names to call them?

'Onya

Trevor Wilson

Mar 25, 2009, 9:05:02 PM3/25/09

> "Trevor Wilson" <trevor@_SPAMBLOCK_rageaudio.com.au> wrote in message
>> > However very few don't have a fridge.
>>
>> **Indeed. Nor a hot water system.
>
> Ah but few people have a gas fridge, many have gas hot water.
>
>> Talk about fridges: I visited the in-laws a few weeks back. For two
> people,
>> they have three fridges and one large chest freezer. All are old and
>> probably have crap insulation and poor seals. I suspect they're not
>> alone.
>> just shake my head.
>
> Yes, some people are reconsidering the old "beer fridge" in the garage
> though.

**As well they should.

>>Then again I just replaced the brushes, re-greased the
>> gearbox and lubricated the bearings on the father in-law's old Black &
>> Decker drill. The 'waste not, want not' generation. The job was probably
>> worth about $100.00. All for a $30.00 drill.
>
> But it cost him nothing, rather than $30 right?

**Well, no. It cost him a reasonable chunk of money 30 years ago. The repair
cost him nothing.

> And if the bearings needed lubrication, it wasn't a $30 drill anyway,
> which
> almost invariably use bushes.

**Bushes then. Is it incorrect terminology to refer to bush types bearings
as bearings? And yes, the drill, being made in the US, probably cost a whole
lot more than $30.00 when he purchased it.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Mr.T

Mar 25, 2009, 9:41:35 PM3/25/09

> > But it cost him nothing, rather than $30 right?
>
> **Well, no. It cost him a reasonable chunk of money 30 years ago. The
repair
> cost him nothing.

As I said, nothing for the repair Vs $30 for a cheap new one. He chose
wisely :-)

> > And if the bearings needed lubrication, it wasn't a $30 drill anyway,
> > which almost invariably use bushes.
>
> **Bushes then. Is it incorrect terminology to refer to bush types bearings
> as bearings?

Yes, bushes do not require lubrication as you stated.

>And yes, the drill, being made in the US, probably cost a whole
> lot more than $30.00 when he purchased it.

Dead right, my old B&D industrial (with bearings rather than the handyman
one with bushes) cost ~$100, 30 years ago. A fair amount of money then for a
small 2 speed drill, but it still works though. However that was in the days
when tools were made in Australia, USA, Germany, UK etc. and wages were more
than in China today.

MrT.

Horry

Mar 25, 2009, 11:25:54 PM3/25/09

So where did the $30 figure come from? Did you make it up?

Caught out by Mr.T (of all people). How embarrassing.

Trevor Wilson

Mar 26, 2009, 12:39:02 AM3/26/09

"Horry" <horace...@gmail.com> wrote in message

**Do TRY to keep up. $30.00 is what one would expect to pay for an
approximately equivalent drill to the ancient B&D I repaired.

Did you make it up?

**No. Are you stupid, or are you being deliberately obtuse?

> Caught out by Mr.T (of all people). How embarrassing.

**Nope. Caught out by your feeble troll.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Trevor Wilson

Mar 26, 2009, 12:50:36 AM3/26/09

> "Trevor Wilson" <trevor@_SPAMBLOCK_rageaudio.com.au> wrote in message
>> > But it cost him nothing, rather than $30 right?
>>
>> **Well, no. It cost him a reasonable chunk of money 30 years ago. The
> repair
>> cost him nothing.
>
> As I said, nothing for the repair Vs $30 for a cheap new one. He chose
> wisely :-)

**OUCH! The sneaky old bugger DID choose wisely. He reckons he'll show me
the purchase reciept next week.

>> > And if the bearings needed lubrication, it wasn't a $30 drill anyway,
>> > which almost invariably use bushes.
>>
>> **Bushes then. Is it incorrect terminology to refer to bush types
>> bearings
>> as bearings?
>
> Yes, bushes do not require lubrication as you stated.

**These bushes required lubrication.

>>And yes, the drill, being made in the US, probably cost a whole
>> lot more than $30.00 when he purchased it.
>
> Dead right, my old B&D industrial (with bearings rather than the handyman
> one with bushes) cost ~$100, 30 years ago. A fair amount of money then for
> small 2 speed drill, but it still works though. However that was in the
> days
> when tools were made in Australia, USA, Germany, UK etc. and wages were
> more
> than in China today.

**Indeed. This one is a two speed jobbie, but uses 'electronic' control,
rather than a two speed gearbox. I didn't take a close look, but I assume
they just used a diode for 'speed control'.

Further and for the record: My old Bosch is about 30 years old. Made in
Switzerland. One of the first drills to appear with proper trigger operated
speed control. Two speed gearbox, with hammer function. The keyed chuck
finally refused to grip properly and the guy at the tool shop informed me
that it could not be serviced. A careful examination and a $30.00 keyless
chuck later, my drill is perfectly functional. I've been a Bosch guy ever
since. Of course, just the Swiss made stuff.

I acquired a nice 13" bench planer in a similar way a couple of years back.
A mate gave it to me, when his tool supplier told him it was unrepairable.
When I noted the cross-threaded screw holding it together, I realised that
the tool guy had never even examined the unit. My mate told me I could keep
it. Not so sure I trust those tool shop guys any more.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Horry

Mar 26, 2009, 4:01:40 AM3/26/09

And the back-pedalling begins...

Trevor Wilson

Mar 26, 2009, 4:45:18 AM3/26/09

"Horry" <horace...@gmail.com> wrote in message

**I asked you a direct question. Please answer it.

Are you stupid, or are you being deliberately obtuse?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Horry

Mar 26, 2009, 5:02:36 AM3/26/09

And now the blustering begins...

(Oh, and FYI, Black & Decker haven't manufactured "drills" since 1976
when they sold that division to Ryobi. So you either fabricated your
entire story, or you unwittingly repaired your mother in-law's
DustBuster.)

Trevor Wilson

Mar 26, 2009, 4:17:42 PM3/26/09

"Horry" <horace...@gmail.com> wrote in message

**OK. I'm going with stupid, since you refuse to answer a direct question.

> (Oh, and FYI, Black & Decker haven't manufactured "drills" since 1976
> when they sold that division to Ryobi. So you either fabricated your
> entire story, or you unwittingly repaired your mother in-law's
> DustBuster.)

**OK, so the drill is 33 years old. Happy?

Sheesh! What a moron.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au