TNG book: Q-In-Law

1 view

Rhys Weatherley

Nov 12, 1992, 9:16:53 PM11/12/92
It's great to see season 3!! Thanks Channel 9. Just keep those ratings up
everyone, and hopefully we'll get to see the lot eventually. :-)

OK ... the point of this article:

Normally, you understand, I just look at the TNG books in the stores and don't
buy them, because I know that if I buy one and read it, I won't be able to
stop until I've read them all, at great cost to my wallet. A definite
character flaw. :)

Anyway, yesterday I noticed the latest one in the store. And lo and behold,
Q was on the cover! So, against my better judgement, and the above-mentioned
policy, I just had to have it and payed out the money.

Well, what can I say? "Q-In-Law" by Peter David is a riot! I was laughing
my head off all the way through. 4 hours after purchasing the book, I turned
the last page very impressed (I'm a speed reader - another character flaw :) .

Basically the plot of the story is "Q meets Lwaxana Troi". Need I say more? :)
In the background is a wedding linking two alien factions, which Q manages
to stuff up (of course). The climax is particularly hilarious. But, I'll
shut up now or I'll ruin it for you. :)

Buy or borrow this book if you are a Q fan - I'm sure you'll love it as I did.

Now all I have to do is restrain myself from buying all the rest of the books
in the next 2 weeks. Maybe if I limit myself to 1 a week? Yeah, that's the
ticket - 1 a week. :)

Has anyone else read any of the other TNG books? If so, post your impressions
here.

Cheers,

Rhys.
--
Rhys Weatherley, University of Queensland, Australia.
rh...@cs.uq.oz.au "I'm a FAQ nut - what's your problem?"

Richard A. Muirden [GA]

Nov 13, 1992, 3:06:57 AM11/13/92
sorry to disappoint you but this book has been around for about
a year or so!!! great book though!!! :) :) :)

-richard

--
Richard Muirden, System Administator, RMIT.Aero. Engineering.. Office: 10.12.26
rae...@kittyhawk.aero.rmit.OZ.AU, s89...@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU 'phone: 660-3142

s33...@emu.insted.unimelb.edu.au

Nov 16, 1992, 8:09:45 AM11/16/92

I've read all of TNG books - Q-In-Law is definitely the best.
I would recommend any of the Peter David books - expecially IMZADI, which
is brilliant. But it is only out in hardback at the moment.
Jean Lorrah (sp?) is also brilliant - read Survivors if you are a Tasha fan.
I also recommend "A Rock and a Hard Place". Most of the latest TNG books
aren't that good - you may be better off buying a few here and there.
I've fallen into the trap of buying every TNG book that comes out - it is
rather expensive!

Katharine Shade.

Kathryn Andersen

Nov 15, 1992, 5:59:57 PM11/15/92
In <11...@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> rh...@cs.uq.oz.au (Rhys Weatherley) writes:
>Anyway, yesterday I noticed the latest one in the store. And lo and behold,
>Q was on the cover! So, against my better judgement, and the above-mentioned
>policy, I just had to have it and payed out the money.

>Well, what can I say? "Q-In-Law" by Peter David is a riot! I was laughing
>my head off all the way through. 4 hours after purchasing the book, I turned
>the last page very impressed (I'm a speed reader - another character flaw :) .

>Basically the plot of the story is "Q meets Lwaxana Troi". Need I say more? :)
>In the background is a wedding linking two alien factions, which Q manages
>to stuff up (of course). The climax is particularly hilarious. But, I'll
>shut up now or I'll ruin it for you. :)

>Buy or borrow this book if you are a Q fan - I'm sure you'll love it as I did.

Odd, I have heard the totally opposite report of this book - that it is
absolutely terrible. This from a person who is a Q fan too! Since my
friend is usually on the mark, I decided against getting the book.
Not that I normally purchase Trek books, but since I like Q (almost the
only really interesting character apart from Data and Ensign Ro(*)) I
actually considered buying it. Now I don't know what to think.

The only ST:TNG novel I have is Metamorphosis by Jean Lorrah, which is
*the* Data novel. Have your cake and eat it too.

(*) Ensign Ro Laren joins the crew in the 5th season.

BTW, if you like Q, check out QAS, the Q Appreciation Society, in
Queensland. They put out a fanzine, Quizine, which is hilarious!
Let's see, oh, darn, I left my address book at home!
I'll post the address later.

Kathryn Andersen
"That box, Orac, that's what we came for."
-- Servalan (to Blake) (Blake's 7: Orac [A13])
--
_--_|\ Kathryn Andersen
/ \ Home: <k...@werple.apana.org.au>