Grain/Tank wagons

Chris Stratton

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

Yesterday I saw an NR freight at Cringila and it had a couple of what
looked like grain wagons fitted with tank wagon hatches on top. I couldn't
see the code on them as I was on the other side of the road and the stupid
jersey median gets in the way. Does anyone know what theyv are?
Regards
--
Chris Stratton
Wollongong, NSW, Australia

Matthew Geier

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

Chris Stratton wrote:

> Yesterday I saw an NR freight at Cringila and it had a couple of what
> looked like grain wagons fitted with tank wagon hatches on top. I couldn't

I think the Manildra wagons have tank hatches - as they were designed
to carry starch and flour as well as grain. Manildra however tend to
have their name in big letters on the side.

The wheat wagons converted to carry sugar had their hopper lids
replaced with small 'tank hatches' didnt they ?

--
Matthew Geier, mat...@law.usyd.edu.au
Computer Systems Manager, +61 2 9351 0240

TM

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

On 11 Dec 1997 20:44:18 GMT, "Chris Stratton"
<stratton...@bhp.com.au> wrote:

>Yesterday I saw an NR freight at Cringila and it had a couple of what
>looked like grain wagons fitted with tank wagon hatches on top. I couldn't

>see the code on them as I was on the other side of the road and the stupid
>jersey median gets in the way. Does anyone know what theyv are?
>Regards

NGGF wagons, these are NGTY wagons converted to carry sugar from the
NSW north coast.

Regards
Tony

Gary Marshall

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

G'day Chris,

The wagons you saw sound to me like the SRA NGTY type grain hoppers that
were converted to carry sugar from Grafton to various destinations, this
sugar traffic is conveyed to and from Melbourne on NR's "Steelink" services.

Regards

Gary

Chris Stratton wrote in message
<01bd0675$91c52a80$38471286@fpdwol_pc4210.itwol.bhp.com.au>...

>Yesterday I saw an NR freight at Cringila and it had a couple of what
>looked like grain wagons fitted with tank wagon hatches on top. I couldn't
>see the code on them as I was on the other side of the road and the stupid
>jersey median gets in the way. Does anyone know what theyv are?
>Regards

Rod Young

Dec 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/14/97
to Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton wrote:

> Yesterday I saw an NR freight at Cringila and it had a couple of what
> looked like grain wagons fitted with tank wagon hatches on top. I couldn't
> see the code on them as I was on the other side of the road and the stupid
> jersey median gets in the way. Does anyone know what theyv are?
> Regards
> --
> Chris Stratton
> Wollongong, NSW, Australia
> stratton...@bhp.com.au
Yep! been around for about 15 years and we see them at Dynon over near
South Kensington Station [Manildra?]. They were specially modified to
move bulk sugar to Victoria. I would like to know if it is in crystal
form as they appear to overflow sometimes, which suggests liquid, but
surely not in a wheat hopper??? They were arriving at the rate of about
15 units a train in the early days, but they almost stopped running,
untill the NRC managed to rescue part of the contract recently, Good job
fellas
Rod
--
Please change my E mail address to ber...@bigpond.com

Robbie O'Regan

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

>Chris Stratton wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday I saw an NR freight at Cringila and it had a couple of what
>> looked like grain wagons fitted with tank wagon hatches on top.

Rod Young then replied

>Yep! been around for about 15 years and we see them at Dynon over near
>South Kensington Station [Manildra?].

If they are the sugar hopper wagons the code is NGGF and the numbers
are in the group 35701 to 35783.
Built as WTY hoppers, recoded to NGTY during early 1980 or there-
abouts, recoded to NGGF starting 1989.

--
Regards, Robbie,
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.