[Vic] Brunswick Sidings

Brad McArthur

Nov 18, 2005, 3:33:00 AM11/18/05
I was recently reading some history regarding Hoffman's brickworks in
Dawson Street, Brunswick. In that it was stated that a railway
line bisected the brickworks. I assume that a siding ran off at Dawson
Street next to the Vic Police Traffic Complex and then took a route
parallel to and north of Phoenix Street. I searched for more
information on this, but to no avail. Does anybody have any suggestions
where to look?

Brad.

den...@hotmail.com

Nov 18, 2005, 4:10:40 AM11/18/05
Somersault Feb 95, had an article covering Jewell (South Brunswick).
The Hoffman's brickworks siding was known as the Pottery Siding, and
headed off from Siding A at Jewell, just after Dawson Street and turned
through a right angle and ran west on the south side of Phoenix Street.
The siding was lifted around Easter 1972 by the TMSV. Unfortunately
there's no sign of the line in the 1st edition Melways.
The 1953 GA under the heading South Brunswick states that engines are
not permitted to run over Hoffman's Siding.
This aerial photo quite clearly shows the siding heading off the line
and running south of Phoenix Street:
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/home/hoffmans/web/book_cd/Pic_03.jpg

John Dennis

Brad McArthur

Nov 18, 2005, 9:48:56 PM11/18/05

Thanks John,

Is there somewhere that has a repository of 'Somersault' Journals - I
suppose the State Library would have them (answering my own question).

Brad.

William Pearce

Nov 19, 2005, 1:32:36 AM11/19/05
V.R. Curves and Gradients book, 1927, shows at what was then South
Brunswick, Hoffman Brick & Potteries Co. and Cornwalls siding.
Regards,
Bill.

"Brad McArthur" <bgm...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

den...@hotmail.com

Nov 19, 2005, 6:15:07 AM11/19/05
Brad McArthur wrote:

> Is there somewhere that has a repository of 'Somersault' Journals - I
> suppose the State Library would have them (answering my own question).

Brad,

I don't know whether Somersault is available from the State Library. I
am a member of the SRSV, and obtained a CD conaining all the old
issues. Very useful...

I will try and find the answer to that question for you...

John Dennis