AUS ——> Aborigine Nuclear Waste Disaster & Protests \ Muckaty

Pu'u Moaulanui

Apr 11, 2012, 3:55:37 AM4/11/12
Australia:

No nuclear waste \ Muckaty
http://www.lnc.nc/article/australie/non-aux-dechets-nucleaires

Monday, the traditional owners of Muckaty, a sacred site, cut traffic on a
highway near Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory, to protest against the
proposed site of radioactive waste on their land.

Traditional owners of Muckaty demonstrated Monday at the Northern Land
Council.

Aboriginal women, their bodies painted with traditional motifs, protesting
against the proposed site of radioactive waste on their land Muckaty.
The federal government prefers this site very isolated, 120 kilometers from
Tennant Creek from Alice Springs and Darwin, to store waste from research
and medical applications of uranium, mainly for the Australian single
nuclear reactor, one Lucas Heights, a suburb of Sydney. The waste is stored
at La Hague in France, and should be theirs by 2014/2015.
That why they accelerate the process for imposing the storage site. Gold is
a sacred site Muckaty male initiation for Aborigines. To defend it, they
sued the federal government and the Northern Land Council, a sort of
regional council of the northern half of the Northern Territory, where
Muckaty. The last hearing was held last week in Federal Court in Melbourne.
Following this, the trial was adjourned until May

Pressure. Tessa Dowdell, one of the activists against the storage site,
explains that we must continue to pressure the government to ensure
protection of this sacred site.
For if the federal government has declared two weeks ago, he put aside all
other sites studied, it has not officially said he would choose to put its
radioactive waste Muckaty, "But Muckaty is the last chance" Tessa Dowdell
noted. "When the Howard Government has started looking for a place to store
nuclear waste in 2006, he planned to take shape in 2011. Now we are in 2012
and the project has not even started, the site has not even yet been
formally identified. It shows that our campaign against this site has worked
very well so far, we just need a nudge to continue to put pressure on the
government. "
And for that, Tessa Dowdell had the idea to alert many artists throughout
Australia. Everything April, fifty-six of them, mostly from Melbourne and
Sydney, exposing their collective work. Everyone has painted the back of a
game of cards The result is exhibited in a gallery in Sydney. And these
cards will be auctioned to continue funding the campaign against the site of
storage of nuclear waste at Muckaty.

Ras Mikaere Enoch Mc Carty
Maangai Kaawanatanga - Tainui Kiingitanga - Te Aotearoa
http://www.exorcist.org.nz

* P.M. John Key's Gold-Plated Roadways
http://www.exorcist.org.nz/futurama.wav

Pu'u Moaulanui