Health Minister blames Coalition policies for teenage binge drinking

1 view

ex_liberal_voter

Apr 27, 2008, 12:04:15 PM4/27/08
Federal Health Minister Nicola Roxon has blamed the former Howard
government for the rise in teenage binge drinking.

Ms Roxon said the decision to cut taxes on premixed alcoholic drinks
eight years ago helped fuel the surge in excessive drinking by young
people, particularly teenage girls.

[...]

"We can track the change in the way that young women have been
drinking these products from the time that the Howard government
changed the excise in 2000," Ms Roxon told the Nine Network.

"We've seen patterns where it's gone from about 14 per cent of young
girls drinking these products up to about 60 per cent.

Sydney Morning Herald, 27 April 2008

--> story continues

ex_liberal_voter

Apr 27, 2008, 12:06:58 PM4/27/08

frilly.nec...@live.com.au

Apr 27, 2008, 5:47:29 PM4/27/08
On Apr 28, 2:06 am, ex_liberal_voter <ex_liberal_vo...@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:
> http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/binge-drinking-howards-fault-roxo...- Hide quoted text -

Yeah!

Their upbringing or behaviour set by their guardians has got nothing
to do with their drinking.

Liz

Polly the Parrot

Apr 27, 2008, 6:03:48 PM4/27/08
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:06:58 -0700 (PDT) ex_liberal_voter
<ex_liber...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> > Ms Roxon said the decision to cut taxes on premixed alcoholic drinks
> > eight years ago helped fuel the surge in excessive drinking by young
> > people, particularly teenage girls.

Probably did, but ultimately everyone is responsible for their own
actions.

Oh, sorry, forgot that the lefty turds are in power at present.

Green Lantern

Apr 27, 2008, 6:32:59 PM4/27/08

"Polly the Parrot" <flatula...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

Nicola Rocks Off completely failed on the health insurance premiums so she
figures she has to do something.

H.D.

Apr 27, 2008, 8:03:32 PM4/27/08

<frilly.nec...@live.com.au> wrote in message

Yeah!

Liz

It has got everything to do with their drinking.
The problem is, parents have to work long hours and after spending
the first years in Child care,young teenagers without supervision
get their education from friends and gangs that have replaced the Family.
You only have to watch how many mothers drop off their kids at
shopping Malls during school holidays. Especially kids from Single mothers
who must work.

frilly.nec...@live.com.au

Apr 28, 2008, 1:42:45 AM4/28/08
On Apr 28, 10:03 am, "H.D." <her...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> <frilly.necked.liz...@live.com.au> wrote in message

> On Apr 28, 2:06 am, ex_liberal_voter <ex_liberal_vo...@yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 28, 2:04 am, ex_liberal_voter <ex_liberal_vo...@yahoo.com.au>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Federal Health Minister Nicola Roxon has blamed the former Howard
> > > government for the rise in teenage binge drinking.
>
> > > Ms Roxon said the decision to cut taxes on premixed alcoholic drinks
> > > eight years ago helped fuel the surge in excessive drinking by young
> > > people, particularly teenage girls.
>
> > > [...]
>
> > > "We can track the change in the way that young women have been
> > > drinking these products from the time that the Howard government
> > > changed the excise in 2000," Ms Roxon told the Nine Network.
>
> > > "We've seen patterns where it's gone from about 14 per cent of young
> > > girls drinking these products up to about 60 per cent.
>
> > > Sydney Morning Herald, 27 April 2008
>
> > > --> story continues
>
> > Link to the opening story:
>
> >http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/binge-drinking-howards-fault-roxo...

> Yeah!
>
> Their upbringing or behaviour set by their guardians has got nothing
> to do with their drinking.
>
> Liz
>
>. Especially kids from Single mothers who must work.-

Single mothers work?

Not those who begin mothering while still in school uniform. 'These
work lying on their backs and let the taxpayers fund their lifestyle.

Some even have their boyfriends visiting in the dark of night. They're
called: "my old man".

Liz

H.D.

Apr 28, 2008, 3:28:19 AM4/28/08

<frilly.nec...@live.com.au> wrote in message

Single mothers work?

Liz

Parenting payment is only availavle until the youngest child enters school.
By the way, most single mothers are divorced. ( Single again)

frilly.nec...@live.com.au

Apr 28, 2008, 6:06:35 AM4/28/08

That's why they keep having babies -- six in some cases with different
fathers.

> By the way, most single mothers are divorced. ( Single again)- Hide quoted text -

I wasn't talking about divorced single mothers. I was one of these and
never got any handout from the government.

I wasn't aware that I was entitled -- believed in the saying "One
makes one's bed and has to sleep on it!"

Give up on me, H.D.! You aren't going to win.

Liz

H.D.

Apr 28, 2008, 7:24:39 AM4/28/08

<frilly.nec...@live.com.au> wrote in message

Liz

Of course I'm not going to win. How could I? You are typical right wing
believing in your own bullshit.
Do you know that, unlike America, there are relatively few single mothers in
Australia? Most single mothers are either divorced or seperated from
De-Facto relationships. Your idea of girls having babies, up to six from
different fathers is bullshit. There wouldn't be more than 20 of them in
Australia.
You are typical right wing believing that all men are no good drunks.
Everyone down on his or her luck must be lazy, a drunk, a dole bludger, a
woman sleeping around etc. etc.
Oh well, if everyone is so bad and everyone is a real bastard, then it
follows that you must be good and decent and that makes you feel good.

frilly.nec...@live.com.au

Apr 28, 2008, 8:34:09 AM4/28/08
On Apr 28, 9:24 pm, "H.D." <her...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> <frilly.necked.liz...@live.com.au> wrote in message

> On Apr 28, 5:28 pm, "H.D." <her...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Of course I'm not going to win. How could I? You are typical right wing
> believing in your own bullshit.
> Do you know that, unlike America, there are relatively few single mothers in
> Australia? Most single mothers are either divorced or seperated from
> De-Facto relationships.

De-Facto: phonetically-appropriate-sounding word for those who can't
cement their union but bring children into this insecurity.

Ask them why they don't get married and they'll answer,
'We can't afford it'!

Can't afford a simple ceremony at a registry ofice but can afford a
large family? Not quite, because the taxpayers support these children.

I don't get around that much, but I hear a lot and know one woman
who's had six daughters and is still sexually active. One of her
daughters, who practically ruined a nephew's life, is pregnant with
her third - all from different fathers. . .

This girl is still in her teens. DOCs have taken the first toddlers
and placed them in the foster care of a relative.
What will be the fate of the yet unborn?

>Your idea of girls having babies, up to six from
> different fathers is bullshit. There wouldn't be more than 20 of them in Australia.

Lift your head out of the sand, H.D.!.

> You are typical right wing believing that all men are no good drunks.
> Everyone down on his or her luck must be lazy, a drunk, a dole bludger, a
> woman sleeping around etc. etc.
> Oh well, if everyone is so bad and everyone is a real bastard, then it

> follows that you must be good and decent and that makes you feel good.-

I'm no angel but actually, quite an easy touch for a hard luck story
and don't expect heaven to reward me.

Liz

H.D.

Apr 28, 2008, 3:27:31 PM4/28/08

On Apr 28, 9:24 pm, "H.D." <her...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> <frilly.necked.liz...@live.com.au> wrote in message

> On Apr 28, 5:28 pm, "H.D." <her...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Of course I'm not going to win. How could I? You are typical right wing
> believing in your own bullshit.
> Do you know that, unlike America, there are relatively few single mothers
> in
> Australia? Most single mothers are either divorced or seperated from
> De-Facto relationships.

De-Facto: phonetically-appropriate-sounding word for those who can't
cement their union but bring children into this insecurity.

Ask them why they don't get married and they'll answer,
'We can't afford it'!

Can't afford a simple ceremony at a registry ofice but can afford a
large family? Not quite, because the taxpayers support these children.

There you go again. Why should it cost more to support children from defacto
relationships than from married couples?
Was your own marriage more secure because you had a piece of Paper?
I'm a Catholic and certainly do not support de-facto marriages, but in
todays society marriages break down just as easily as relationships. Just
because we don't agree with something doesn't give us the right to falsy
condemn people and situations.

DM

Apr 28, 2008, 8:48:54 PM4/28/08
On Apr 28, 2:04 am, ex_liberal_voter <ex_liberal_vo...@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

Roxon trying to blame the previous government is just political spin.

The real story is how the alcohol industry recognised a market niche
for premixed spirits and deliberately targeted young females.

Around 2001 or 2002 I did a marketing assignment for Uni and chose a
premix alcoholic beverage as my product. I got over 95% for the
assignment, but it came back with rather a lot of red pen that pointed
out how unethical it was to target underage females in this way,
particularly as I provided research material that showed these
premixes were a gateway to high lifelong use of alcohol.

Nowadays, in 2008, it seems I deserved the near perfect result for the
assignment.

DM