INFORMATION CANON DIGITAL SLR - SECOND

Michael

Jul 12, 2003, 7:07:19 AM7/12/03
Hi
Looking for a Canon Digital SLR

I am in Brisbane

Lokiing for a price guide to give me some idea of comparisions

Michael

Ubiquitous

Jul 12, 2003, 8:26:07 AM7/12/03
Do a bit of research :P Information isnt hard to find!

www.dpreview.com.au

give that a go.. you've really got a fairly limited range to choose from in
Canon Digital SLRs...

1Ds (~$14k)
1D (~10k)
10D (~$3500)

"Michael" <mic...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

Obake

Jul 12, 2003, 8:39:44 AM7/12/03

http://canon.com.au/products/cameras/digital_slr.html

theres only 3 to choose from. the EOS-1Ds, 1D and 10D. AU$17K, $10K and
$3.5K.

for *detailed* reviews i suggest
http://www.dpreview.com

for hands on look try "photo continentals" in mt gravatt. they have all the
models mentioned above and are willing to let you play with them (after
waiting an hour to actually get serviced). their prices are also the highest
in brisbane so when you've had a good play at PC go to the city and try
rainer's or ted's for better prices.

OT, has anyone tried PC to price match ted's or rainer's?

Miro

Jul 12, 2003, 10:58:45 AM7/12/03

> http://canon.com.au/products/cameras/digital_slr.html
>
> theres only 3 to choose from. the EOS-1Ds, 1D and 10D. AU$17K, $10K and
> $3.5K.

What's wrong with a used body ?

Ubiquitous

Jul 12, 2003, 11:48:18 AM7/12/03
Ahhh shuddup, you're always attacking people regarding their information.
Why don't you reply directly to Michael and give HIM the advice on used
digital SLR bodies instead? He needs the advise, we don't need your shit :P

" Miro" <mir...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Obake

Jul 12, 2003, 5:59:33 PM7/12/03

you want me to search ebay and list prices for him?! he can do his own bloody
homework :)

Warren Prasek

Jul 12, 2003, 8:15:03 PM7/12/03
rainers and teds better prices? are you serious???

in my experience, photo continental, whilst not *cheap*, is almost always
less expensive than either of those ripoff chains... alternately, try
www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au who tend to have amongst the best prices- but of
course it's not as easy or cheap if you have to exchange an imperfect lens
than if you buy locally

and BTW when i bought my D60 + 3 lenses and extras, PC actually beat the DCC
prices by a couple of points... which made them approximately 20 to 25% LESS
than either rainers or teds.

"Obake" <ob...@gehenna.com> wrote in message

Obake

Jul 12, 2003, 8:50:53 PM7/12/03
In article <3f10a4dc$0$26533$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>, "Warren Prasek" <newsgroupspam at deletethisbit dot wprasek dotcom> wrote:
>rainers and teds better prices? are you serious???
>
>in my experience, photo continental, whilst not *cheap*, is almost always
>less expensive than either of those ripoff chains... alternately, try
>www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au who tend to have amongst the best prices- but of
>course it's not as easy or cheap if you have to exchange an imperfect lens
>than if you buy locally
>
>and BTW when i bought my D60 + 3 lenses and extras, PC actually beat the DCC
>prices by a couple of points... which made them approximately 20 to 25% LESS
>than either rainers or teds.

i don't know about other cameras or accesories, but when i was quoted 10D pro
kit prices rainers had the best price, followered by teds then PC. i'll just
say rainers' was cheaper then DCC even before postage. Ted's was about the
same if you included postage costs, but i'd rather get local for IF anything
goes wrong.

Miro

Jul 12, 2003, 10:10:13 PM7/12/03

> you want me to search ebay and list prices for him?! he can do his own
bloody
> homework :)

Do what you please ........

Miro

Jul 12, 2003, 10:10:42 PM7/12/03

"Ubiquitous" <dil...@iinet.net.au> wrote in message

> Ahhh shuddup, you're always attacking people regarding their information.
> Why don't you reply directly to Michael and give HIM the advice on used
> digital SLR bodies instead? He needs the advise, we don't need your shit
:P

Try oral rehydration therapy for that condition.

auspics

Jul 13, 2003, 2:31:38 AM7/13/03
I bought a 10D (Propack) at Teds last month for $3500.00.
They have a used D30 (Propack) for sale at about $2250.00 right now. Photo
Continetal are not interested in talking about price matching, Rainers
didn't have a clue as to when they would have stock and Dirt Cheap Cameras
don't sell Professional Canon (so it would seem)... They server you off to
somewhere else and the price is over the top.
JT

Ubiquitous

Jul 13, 2003, 3:34:16 AM7/13/03
Try answering my question.

" Miro" <mir...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Ubiquitous

Jul 13, 2003, 3:37:28 AM7/13/03
Dirt Cheap Cameras do sell Pro Canon. Have a look at the range on the
website. The link you're referring to (at least I'm assuming) is actually a
different site run by the owners of Dirt Cheap Cameras. They're the same
people with the same prices - i'm not sure why they've chosen to do it that
way but I assure you its the same company.

"auspics" <ju...@the.groups.please> wrote in message

Miro

Jul 13, 2003, 6:15:47 AM7/13/03

> Try answering my question.

There was no question just doubt on your part.

Ubiquitous

Jul 13, 2003, 6:49:24 AM7/13/03
No, there was quite clearly a question. Here it is:

Why don't you reply directly to Michael and give HIM the advice on used
digital SLR bodies instead?

And don't use your psychobabble to avoid the question. Give me an answer.

" Miro" <mir...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

auspics

Jul 13, 2003, 7:06:18 AM7/13/03
It matters not.
DC's prices are no cheaper and most higher more than talking to a local
camera store.
All this negative stuff about not doing business with Teds because of some
minor problem someone experienced at some time in the past is clouding the
fact that if you push Teds (in Brisbane at any rate) they'll give you a
really good price on the spot.

If you're like many people who "shop around" you'll get dusted off. Hold
your credit card in your hand and they'll be just as serious to sell you a
camera as you are to buy one. The best price I had from Photo Continental
was $3900 and from Dirt cheap, $3650. I called Teds and asked for their best
price on that day. They asked when I was buying and I said right now. They
replied "$3500 if you pick it up today"... And I did. I'm still waiting for
Dirt Cheap's e-mail!
JT

"Ubiquitous" <dil...@iinet.net.au> wrote in message

Ubiquitous

Jul 13, 2003, 7:23:38 AM7/13/03
I had the exact opposite experience. I had a 10D in my hand via Dirt Cheap
Cameras before any of the brick and mortar stores had even had shipment of
them. I asked for quotes and made it quite clear I was a keen buyer to
Camera House, Teds, etc and got dusted off, told to come back in a couple of
weeks, or even worse, they had only heard of the 10D a couple of days ago,
didn't know when it was expected and didn't really want to find out, either.

And I have asked for quotes on various Canon pro lenses and have not found a
single quote that was within 10% of Dirt Cheap Camera's quotes. A quote is a
quote, I don't see how having a credit card in hand is going to give you a
better deal on an item that isn't in high demand (ie Canon pro lenses). If
they wanted the sale, they'd give me their best price up front so I wouldn't
laugh and walk off.

"auspics" <ju...@the.groups.please> wrote in message

Miro

Jul 13, 2003, 9:26:28 AM7/13/03

> No, there was quite clearly a question. Here it is:
>
> Why don't you reply directly to Michael and give HIM the advice on used
> digital SLR bodies instead?
>
> And don't use your psychobabble to avoid the question. Give me an answer.

Well you seem to know the answer. Why dont you tell everyone.

Ubiquitous

Jul 13, 2003, 10:27:00 AM7/13/03
No, I'd like you to answer the question.

" Miro" <mir...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Miro

Jul 13, 2003, 11:28:37 AM7/13/03

> No, I'd like you to answer the question.

:P

Tony Rae

Jul 13, 2003, 1:06:44 PM7/13/03
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:26:07 +1000, "Ubiquitous" <dil...@iinet.net.au>
wrote:

>give that a go.. you've really got a fairly limited range to choose from in
>Canon Digital SLRs...
>
>1Ds (~$14k)
>1D (~10k)
>10D (~$3500)

I have not used this store so can't vouch for them but their 10D price
seems pretty good at $2699 including GST.
http://camera.centre.net.au/Canon_000642.html

auspics

Jul 13, 2003, 5:11:39 PM7/13/03
How can you expect someone to give you a price on something they don't have?
To give you a price on a Pro Lens, they would need to contact Canon and get
the days price. To quote on a 10D they have to have the invoice to protect
themselves from price fluctuation.

You give DC the chance to do that yet expect to walk into a store and have
them wave their magic wand. Sure you're not being lopsided here and
expecting the impossible from one while promoting the other?
JT

"Ubiquitous" <dil...@iinet.net.au> wrote in message

Ubiquitous

Jul 13, 2003, 6:10:11 PM7/13/03
The difference is that DC have done their homework in advance - in the end,
what the customer wants is a quick, simple and cheap transaction - if thats
too hard for a store to manage, they won't compete.

"auspics" <ju...@the.groups.please> wrote in message

Warren Prasek

Jul 13, 2003, 7:11:53 PM7/13/03
in my experience, DCC have *always* been the priceleaders, with local stores
struggling to come even close to their prices. often the local shops won't
even attempt to match them, or even come close.

that said, i bought my D60 and multiple lenses etc from PC because at that
time they matched DCC's prices on the whole kit, and i do prefer to buy
locally as long as i'm not getting royally shafted.

since then, i have bought my 10D from DCC as the other places could not give
me an ETA and were $300+ more expensive. teds' and rainers seem to have no
idea whatsoever about new gear, and their shelf prices are absurd. i've
never personally been able to get them down to a realistic price but YMMV i
guess

> The difference is that DC have done their homework in advance - in the
end,
> what the customer wants is a quick, simple and cheap transaction - if
thats
> too hard for a store to manage, they won't compete.

=======================
http://www.wprasek.com
web design | interactive media | photography
Brisbane, Australia

auspics

Jul 14, 2003, 4:54:53 AM7/14/03
The 10D has a recommended retail price of $3599.
You said in another post that you paid $3195 for yours.
Now you say Teds are $300 more expensive than DCC.
Take off the $400 propack from my purchase and what you say doesn't add up
because I paid $3500 WITH the propack.$3100.00 just the body.
If your price comparrison is to be believed, You paid $95 more for your
camera from DCC than I did from Teds and now expect us to believe DCC are
the price leaders? ...Yeah, right on there, Warren.
JT

"Warren Prasek" <newsgroupspam at deletethisbit dot wprasek dotcom> wrote in
message news:3f11e73d$0$26532$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au...

Ubiquitous

Jul 14, 2003, 6:41:34 AM7/14/03
At the time that Warren and I bought the 10D, Teds would not come anywhere
near $3500. I was quoted $4000 or so, basically no less than retail. And
they didn't have any and didn't know when they would get it, nor would they
comment on whether they could guarantee giving me one from their first
shipment because they didn't know how big the shipment would be. They were
floundering, they had no idea about the 10D. Admittedly this was in the
immediate rush during the first delivery of Australian 10D's and prices have
since settled, but I had no problem at all with DCC's service.

Just because you got a good deal from Ted's, doesn't mean the rest of us
did.

"auspics" <ju...@the.groups.please> wrote in message

Warren Prasek

Jul 14, 2003, 5:31:23 PM7/14/03
thanks, that's exactly right. as I said in my post, that was *my experience*
with DCC versus rainers, teds, etc... if they are now more competitive,
that's really fantastic, but in the past, for me and for many others i have
spoken to, they were very inflexible and downright expensive.

plus i said at the end of my post "YMMV"- your mileage may vary, ie it could
be different now, or for you.

"Ubiquitous" <dil...@iinet.net.au> wrote in message

Danny Smith

Jul 14, 2003, 10:05:22 PM7/14/03
Same here, exactly - and I dealt with Teds and Rainers etc. a fair bit
after Warren... Both times I've tried to buy things from Teds in
particular, I've been put off by their 'quote RRP and suggest they
might do better if I put in an order' tactics. Forget that.

I'm becoming a fan of Photo Continental, even if I'm inclined to think
they should give me a bit of a loyal customer discount! They let me
play with stuff before buying, have reasonable pricing, and do a quite
respectable job of customer service.

Cheers,

Danny

auspics

Jul 15, 2003, 12:33:48 AM7/15/03
Just ask them (PC) for a D1 body on 7 day Approval, Danny...
You're a loyal customer aren't you?
They wouldn't even let me hold one, for Christ Sake. Teds are the way to go
but like I said in my first response... Don't jerk 'em around with "I'm only
looking" stuff or you'll never discover what it's like to have a warm and
fuzzy relationship with your supplier!! Perhaps if PC could provide "new" in
their more exotic range I might think differently of them. They DO give SOME
customers goods on approval...

Perhaps it might be timely to point out that no retailer can exist on a
straight 10% profit margin. Loss leader's like $2700 10Ds need to be
fortified with 30 and even 50% profit margins on other goods so the bottom
line looks like 18.6%. Which co-incidently is the sustainable profit margin
a retailer needs to provide cuntomers with what they expect. DCC only exists
because they make considerably more profit on EVERYTHING they can get away
with. You don't seriously believe everything DCC advertise on the 'net is on
their shelf, do you?

JT

"Danny Smith" <dsm...@siroccoresources.com.au> wrote in message

Danny Smith

Jul 15, 2003, 5:05:06 AM7/15/03
Probably true enough - I've only dealt with them from an amateur point
of view, and have never really been chasing anything exotic!

To their credit they've let me play with a D60, D100, SD9, and 10D and
a variety of lenses - slightly different to a pro body and the more
exy pro lenses, admittedly :).

I can only speak from my experiences, and from those, Ted's are a
right pain to deal with and overprice almost everything - PC, while
the knowledge level of *some* of their staff is, ahem, regrettable,
are usually OK to deal with, and price fairly well.

Maybe I've just spoken to the wrong people at Ted's, or maybe their
pro folks are much better than their average retail staff!

Cheers,

Danny

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 04:33:48 GMT, "auspics" <ju...@the.groups.please>