Frontline or Advantage for fleas?

schae

Oct 29, 2002, 6:16:31 AM10/29/02

<Nicky niccy...@noemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:1pv9qukjnghob6725...@4ax.com...
> Which would people recommend for a Maltese/Shitzu cross with persistant
fleas?

> Not sure what the difference in the products is but I hear Frontline
mentioned
> more.
>
> And which place in Melbourne would you recommend to buy one of these from?
>
> thanks
> Nicole

Hi Nicole,

I have no comments based on personal use regarding Frontline, as I have
never used it, but I have been told it is good. I do know that the pack
details state that each dose of Frontline is suppose to last 5 weeks verses
Advantages 4 weeks.

I have on the other had used Advantage for the last three years (almost
four) on my cats and for the last year on my dog.

The kitties came to us flea ridden beyond belief and it was only five days
from their first application of Advantage that they were completely flea
free. Regardless of how many 'locals' they befriend they have never brought
home any fleas since then.

Since puppy has only just turned one year old I have been using Advantage
Duo on him to deal with the Heart Worm side of things too, but I'll go back
to normal Advantage when he gets his annual shots in Feb (I'll be asking
them to include the annual heart worm injection that is around now for dogs
12 months and over).

We buy our Avantage from The Australian Animal Protection Society at 10
Homeleigh Road, Keysborough. Their phone number is 03 9798 8415 . They sell
the products both at the Vet counter and the Shelter counter, which are side
by side. Their pricing is decent, from memory it is approx.$45 for a four
month pack (I think it is only the Duo pack that comes in a three or six
pack, but don't quote me!) of standard Advantage for Large dogs (ie: the big
dogs like Sheperds & St. Bernards), which may not seem applicable to you but
should hopefully mean that the appropriate pack for your Maltese/Shitzu
cross will cost you less. If the Vet clinic is not too busy they should be
happy to weigh your pup if you are unsure of his/her weight and have of
course, taken him/her along. Calling to confirm the price before you go
would probably be best.

<insert friendly coaxing>
Hey, while you're their you could even find a little furball to accompany
they two of you home again :o)
</insert friendly coaxing>

~schae

Dianne van Dulken

Oct 29, 2002, 6:45:02 PM10/29/02
We are just about to try Advantage for our pooch, having just about given up
on Frontline. I am sure it is good for some dogs, but perhaps we have
particularly resistant fleas. We've been treating him every 2 weeks with
it, all through winter, and STILL find fleas regularly on him, or flea
bites. Since we have polished floorboards, it is unlikely they are hiding
around the house to pounce on him too.

Hoping Advantage will be somewhat better.

Cheers

Di

Cobi Slater

Oct 29, 2002, 7:59:29 PM10/29/02
I have two pups - One 2 1/2 year old shih tzu and a 4 month old silky cross.
I also have polished floor boards but have found that the fleas breed under
the house and come up through the floor. My poor dogs have no relief as
nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to kill fleas
under a house and in a back yard??

"Dianne van Dulken" <dia...@dogmac.com> wrote in message

Augie

Oct 29, 2002, 11:02:16 PM10/29/02
Way down yonder in the pawpaw patch, Cobi Slater was heard to sing:

|| I have two pups - One 2 1/2 year old shih tzu and a 4 month old silky cross.
|| I also have polished floor boards but have found that the fleas breed under
|| the house and come up through the floor. My poor dogs have no relief as
|| nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to kill fleas
|| under a house and in a back yard??

When we moved here, the people before had dogs, complete with crawling
carpet and jumping lino. When we ripped up all the carpet and lino prior
to moving in, we also bought half a dozen flea bombs, and bombed UNDER
the house. We front lined the animals at the same time, and spayed the
whole lawn and garden (read dustbowl) with a general purpose pesticide.
We have had no problems since. Good luck.

--

Augie

Doing up your house?
Australian house renovaters - meet here!