RFD: aus.sport.rugby-league

Rick Eyre

Jan 22, 1995, 4:18:58 AM1/22/95
REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION - Proposed newsgroup - aus.sport.rugby-league

PURPOSE

This newsgroup would be used for discussion of the sport of rugby league,
the games, results, players, administrators, politics, media coverage and
so forth. While its main focus would be on the Winfield Cup competition
in Australia and New Zealand, all rugby league, mens and womens, at all
levels would be open for discussion.

Participants from all over the world would be welcome to discuss rugby
league as it is played in their countries, with special encouragement to
discussion of the game in England and France.

The following should be discouraged from inclusion in this newsgroup:

* rugby league v rugby union flame wars (likewise for RL v Australian
rules);
* RL tipping competitions, which could promoted in the newsgroup, but
should be conducted via email;
* posting of binary files of graphics, sound samples, games, etc.

DISCUSSION

Rugby league is one of the two most popular winter spectator sports in
Australia, however it does not have its own newsgroup on Usenet, unlike
its rival Australian rules. Rugby league is growing in international
popularity, with the expansion of the Winfield Cup competition to Western
Australia and New Zealand in 1995, and with the annual seven-a-side
tournament attracting teams from all over the world, including the USA,
Russia and even Morocco!

Currently rugby league shares the newsgroup rec.sport.rugby with rugby
union, however these two sports are increasingly dissimilar in style and
culture (it's a bit like having American Football and Canadian Football
in the same newsgroup). Rugby league is unable to assert its identity
within r.s.r and consequently development of any discussion of the sport
is somewhat restricted.

The establishment of a separate newsgroup for rugby league can only help
promote the discussion of the sport within Usenet. I have chosen not to
make a proposal for a newsgroup in the rec.* hierarchy at this stage, as
informal discussions within rec.sport.rugby would indicate that such a
proposal would be unlikely to pass a vote at this time. Eventually, if
aus.sport.rugby-league succeeds, I would expect a rec.sport.rugby.league
to be viable, but not yet.

NEWSGROUP NAME

I have chosen the name aus.sport.rugby-league as this would be placed
within the existing aus.sport.* hierarchy, and is consistent in style with
existing names such as aus.sport.aussie-rules.

ESTABLISHING THE NEWSGROUP

This is where I need assistance, as I am not in a position to create this
newsgroup myself :-) If the response to this RFD is favourable, anyone
who is willing to assist me with its creation should email me at the
address below.

QUERIES

I can be contacted at either of the following email addresses:

ri...@gloop.megalink.com.au (preferred)
re...@ozemail.com.au

I can also be contacted on Fidonet at 3:622/425.

A copy of this RFD is available on the WWW at
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~reyre/rfdasrl.html and feedback can be left
for me at that page.

| Rick Eyre ri...@gloop.megalink.com.au |
| Lake Macquarie NSW Australia re...@ozemail.com.au |
| Now on the World Wide Web! http://www.ozemail.com.au/~reyre |
| |
| Fidonet 3:622/425 TriNet 42:6220/2 Globalnet 54:6101/12 |

Nick Zografos

Jan 24, 1995, 10:46:06 PM1/24/95
In article <rick...@gloop.megalink.com.au>, ri...@gloop.megalink.com.au (Rick Eyre) says:

>REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION - Proposed newsgroup - aus.sport.rugby-league

>Participants from all over the world would be welcome to discuss rugby

>league as it is played in their countries, with special encouragement to
>discussion of the game in England and France.

Great Idea. I'm sure there is plenty of support out there for this

Michael Jennings

Jan 25, 1995, 11:09:47 AM1/25/95
In article <3g4hhu$l...@mirv.unsw.edu.au>,

Make it rec.sport.rugby-league, rather than putting it in aus.
The game is played in other places, and (more importantly) many expatriate
Australians such as myself use the net to keep in touch with what is happening
at home, sports wise. I would hate to lose the Australian RL discussion
in rec.sport.rugby, which is what I fear would happen if this group was
created.
On the other hand, a RL group is a good idea. RL discussion tends
to drown amongst the union discussion in r.s.r.

--
Michael Jennings
Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics

'Condense fact from the vapor of nuance'. Hiro has never
forgotten the sound of her speaking those words, the feeling that came
over him as he realised for the first time how smart Juanita was.
- Neal Stephenson. Snow Crash.

Pete Lambert

Jan 25, 1995, 5:49:15 PM1/25/95

I'm all for it Rick. I'm living here in Seattle, and look forward to any
news from home. I too, am from Lake Macquarie, I grew up in Valentine
and Warners Bay. I'm very interested in the expansion in the NSWRL, and
would love to gain converts from RU teams over here.

Good Luck...

PEte

Anthony Andrews

Jan 25, 1995, 3:13:04 PM1/25/95
In article <3g4hhu$l...@mirv.unsw.edu.au>, n.zog...@unsw.edu.au (Nick Zografos) writes:

>In article <rick...@gloop.megalink.com.au>, ri...@gloop.megalink.com.au (Rick Eyre) says:
>>
>>REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION - Proposed newsgroup - aus.sport.rugby-league
>

>>Participants from all over the world would be welcome to discuss rugby
>>league as it is played in their countries, with special encouragement to
>>discussion of the game in England and France.
>

>Great Idea. I'm sure there is plenty of support out there for this

Personally I like having just one group for RL/RU stuff. It will be a pain to have separate groups,
a minor one maybe, but a pain. So I am against it.

Anthony

Luke Brennan

Jan 26, 1995, 12:31:24 AM1/26/95
>>REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION - Proposed newsgroup - aus.sport.rugby-league

Place it the REC groups and (of course!) seperate from thugby.

It's an international sport and deserves a place.

Luke.

Frank Savaglio

Jan 26, 1995, 6:51:31 AM1/26/95

Agreed. Make it rec.sport.rugby-league .

Cheers
Frank

--
Frank P. Savaglio ----- *
Electrical & Computer Engineering |_|_| * *

Graham Jenkin

Jan 26, 1995, 8:36:06 PM1/26/95
Frank Savaglio (ee...@jcu.edu.au) wrote:

> > Place it the REC groups and (of course!) seperate from thugby.

> > It's an international sport and deserves a place.

> Agreed. Make it rec.sport.rugby-league .

> Cheers
> Frank

Yeah I think I'll have to go with rec.sport.rugby-league as well,
although I'm not so sure about it being an international sport ;-)
Besides .. aussie rules gets its own rec newsgroup and its about as
international as league is (maybe less).

--
____ ____
/ ___|_ __ __ _ / ___|_ __ __ _
| | _| '__/ _` | | _| '__/ _` | Graham Jenkin
| |_| | | | (_| | |_| | | | (_| | University of Queensland
\____|_| \__,_|\____|_| \__,_| G.Je...@mailbox.uq.oz.au

Keith Rand

Jan 30, 1995, 9:30:38 AM1/30/95

> > Agreed. Make it rec.sport.rugby-league .
>
> > Cheers
> > Frank
>
> Yeah I think I'll have to go with rec.sport.rugby-league as well,
> although I'm not so sure about it being an international sport ;-)
> Besides .. aussie rules gets its own rec newsgroup and its about as
> international as league is (maybe less).

I think a reasonable case can be made out for it being an international
sport, as I seem to remember a similar type of game being played in the
north of England when I used to live there. It was played on muddy fields
at a much slower pace than out here.

Having said that, England will probably win the 7s competition this week!
I went last year and was pleased to see Manly run in countless tries
against St George in the final. I wonder who the favourites are this year?

Yes, let's go for rec.sport.rugby-league, although I've no idea how you
set up these groups. O.k, it's a slight inconvenience to those who prefer
Union, but like to read a few RLeague posts. But what about people who
only want to read league, and have to wade through all of the hundreds of
Union posts? And how many potential League subscribers have presumed that
this newsgroup is for rugby union, as it is often called simply 'rugby'.
And if they look at a page of posts, they may well go away believing this
for evermore, as many of us don't put the 'RL' bit at the start.

I predict that the amount of discussion of Rleague will increase if it's
in a different newsgroup. (Just like I predict that rugby league will
become enormously popular in NZ with the Warriors entering the competion.)

--
Keith Rand, Sydney Australia

Gary Broughton

Jan 30, 1995, 5:19:46 PM1/30/95
There is little enough discussion in the aus.sport group as it is. There is no
need to split it. Count 1 vote against.
Gary

Dr J.B. Hearnshaw

Jan 30, 1995, 8:02:37 PM1/30/95
Keith Rand (ra...@pelican.dbe.csiro.au) wrote:

: (Just like I predict that rugby league will become enormously popular

: in NZ with the Warriors entering the competion.)

So everyone keeps telling us but let's look at the crowds for their first
three games:

Christchurch - 12,000 for their first ever game.
Palmerston North - 6,000 OK so Palmerston North isn't that big a centre.
Auckland (home turf here and NZs biggest city) - 6,000.

6,000 people in Auckland - that's pathetic. I really think the Warriors
have underestimated the apathy of the Auckland spectator. Sure they'll
get TV audiences but they ain't gonna attract anywhere near the support
the Brisbane Broncos do.

Alan

Rick Eyre

Jan 31, 1995, 6:40:53 AM1/31/95
Thanks to those who have replied to my RFD over the past ten days. From
the response I have received it is apparent that there is a need for a
newsgroup devoted specifically to rugby league, certainly among Australian
followers of the game. I have received only one reply in opposition, and
it should be noted that this was from a country where rugby league is not
a major sport.

The main debate has been whether this newsgroup should reside in the aus.*
hierarchy, as I proposed, or go straight into the rec.* hierarchy. My
reasons for going with the aus.* hierarchy at this stage are simply this:

- I can arrange for an aus.sport.rugby-league to be established almost
straight away without any vote;
- To establish a rec.sport.rugby.league would require nearly two months
of discussion and voting. The vote would then require both a 2/3rd
majority AND an absolute majority of 100 votes. If the vote is defeated
then the proposal cannot be resubmitted for another six months. From
discussion in r.s.r in recent weeks, I doubt whether a vote for r.s.r.l
under these rules would succeed at this point in time.

I intend to organise now for aus.sport.rugby-league to be established as
soon as possible. If this proves as successful in Australia and New
Zealand as I believe it will be, then in a few months time I will proceed
with an RFD for r.s.r.l (unless someone else wants to do it first).

For those who can't access the aus.* newsgroups, rec.sport.rugby would, of
course, continue to be the forum for rugby league for the time being.

Rick Eyre
ri...@gloop.megalink.com.au