New Battlax to support the old Battle-axe...

1 view

Dave Ello

Oct 20, 2003, 2:51:03 AM10/20/03
To those of you who (and there a a few) who got up me yesterday at Mt White
for being a slack-arse and not replacing the rear tyre on the 'Bird, I can
now state for the record that she's shod with a brand new 020. No worries
mate. :)

Thanks to Peter and Cam for getting the ball rolling, to Greg and the boys
at MAW for a sterling job while I waited and to Glenn for helping me scrub
her in today. I would also like to thank my mum....

Damned thing only lasted 6000 kms, and that includes the run-in. Those who
know me also know how gently and sparingly I apply throttle... so it's a bit
of a surprise. I hope we won't be up for a new rear every 8 weeks.
Sheeet-a-brick.

Cheese,
Dave ZZR600 => ST2 (stolen) => '03 XX
(Lisa would keeeel me of course...).

Kevin Gleeson

Oct 20, 2003, 2:57:18 AM10/20/03
"Dave Ello" <deldridg_s...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>To those of you who (and there a a few) who got up me yesterday at Mt White
>for being a slack-arse and not replacing the rear tyre on the 'Bird, I can
>now state for the record that she's shod with a brand new 020. No worries
>mate. :)
>
>Thanks to Peter and Cam for getting the ball rolling, to Greg and the boys
>at MAW for a sterling job while I waited and to Glenn for helping me scrub
>her in today. I would also like to thank my mum....
>
>Damned thing only lasted 6000 kms, and that includes the run-in. Those who
>know me also know how gently and sparingly I apply throttle... so it's a bit
>of a surprise. I hope we won't be up for a new rear every 8 weeks.
>Sheeet-a-brick.

I usually aimed for a new rear on the XX every 6000k and a front every
12000k - that way they arrived on the service interval. I did tear up
a BT57 (BT58? whichever was the softer) in 2000k once. Couldn't afford
to keep doing that :-)

Cheers

-------------
Kevin Gleeson
Technical Director
Blue Rocket Productions
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
www.blue-rocket.com.au

Zebee Johnstone

Oct 20, 2003, 3:30:26 AM10/20/03
In aus.motorcycles on Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:57:18 +1100

Kevin Gleeson <keving...@imagine-it.com.au> wrote:

> I usually aimed for a new rear on the XX every 6000k and a front every
> 12000k - that way they arrived on the service interval. I did tear up
> a BT57 (BT58? whichever was the softer) in 2000k once. Couldn't afford
> to keep doing that :-)

I was dismayed to find that the front on the T didn't last twice as long
as the rear. I suppose wanting 30k is a bit much....

Zebee

Gary Woodman

Oct 20, 2003, 3:55:45 AM10/20/03
Zebee Johnstone <ze...@zip.com.au> wrote in

Not for me! It is a bit bike-sensitive; I do at least 32-34k on a front
(R65; ME33) before I get too nervous.

Gary

--
Don't have a local servo any more :-/

alx

Oct 20, 2003, 4:31:25 AM10/20/03

"Dave Ello" <deldridg_s...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message news:bn00n2$r4lp6$1...@ID-196758.news.uni-berlin.de...

<snip>

> Damned thing only lasted 6000 kms, and that includes the run-in. Those who
> know me also know how gently and sparingly I apply throttle... so it's a bit
> of a surprise. I hope we won't be up for a new rear every 8 weeks.
> Sheeet-a-brick.

I guess Lisa's gonna kill you (yet again) if you let slip the extra substantial weight on the back caused premature wear.

FuTAnT

Oct 20, 2003, 4:39:02 AM10/20/03
Shit eh, I got more out of my BT012 on the ZX6R! Then again, not quite as
much power, but I do feed plenty in (why not?). I had 8k on it when I got
it replaced.

Cam
'00 ZX6R

Aaron & Kylie

Oct 20, 2003, 4:48:41 AM10/20/03
I've got 8k on the D207 on the rear of my ZX6R and it's just about shagged.
I'm trying to get some more life out of it now. Front is almost fucked too.
Only noticed that the other day. Seems the sides of it have taken a caning
somewhat...

Aaron
ZX6R

"FuTAnT" <cameronm@[student].unsw.edu.au> wrote in message

FuTAnT

Oct 20, 2003, 5:07:56 AM10/20/03
I'm surprised you even accepted the D207's new! I bet you can't wait to get
rid of them and put something decent on. BT012's are great, or I hear the
Metzeler Sportec M1's are rather great too!

Cam
'00 ZX6R

FuTAnT

Oct 20, 2003, 5:09:55 AM10/20/03
Oh yeah, you want the L-brackets? can probably post for free too. See my
other post. Should have a piccy if you like this weekend.

Cam
'00 ZX6R

Aaron & Kylie

Oct 20, 2003, 5:41:41 AM10/20/03
If they're free I'll have them. Else I'm not sure what I'd do with them.
:-)

Well when I get the thing I didn't really do much research into tyres on the
thing. Figured nothing OE would be too shithouse. WRONG! Rennsports will be
next I think. Depending on price.
I'm a little concerned about what I did to the front tho. I've be
semi-trying to kill the rear sliding it about but it doesn't seem to be
working. I'll have to try harder.

Aaron
ZX6R

"FuTAnT" <cameronm@[student].unsw.edu.au> wrote in message

Dave Ello

Oct 20, 2003, 9:30:30 AM10/20/03
<snippety clip>

> I guess Lisa's gonna kill you (yet again) if you let slip the extra
substantial weight on the back caused premature wear.

We'll keep that bit between ourselves now, eh? After all, he mouth is wired
directly into my ears, in stereo I might add whilst being chartered around
on our black beast. I'd never hear the end of it. Thank the good Lord she
hasn't discovered the joys of singing on the bike yet. :)

Cheers,

Dave ZZR600 => ST2 (stolen) => '03 XX

(Bring back that ol' warble-drowning Ducati soundtrack....)

P.S. I promise not to pass on the "substantial" bit... Maaate - she'd nail
you and then go for your bike, your family and your collection of pussies!
(And no, I'm not being naughty.)

Baron Von Rotter

Oct 20, 2003, 7:04:32 PM10/20/03
Hi Dave,

Even with just panniers on for a 3000km trip my dunlop rear tyre was shagged
after it. The XX is a big machine with a lot of torque - add on the
delicately sprung weight of Lisa's bottom and you will get a quicker wear
rate. Nothing you can do about it except maybe put an old skool no grip type
thing on it.

BVR

PS: for conehead et al - no I didnt make love to my rear tyre after the
tour :P

Baron Von Rotter

Oct 20, 2003, 7:06:39 PM10/20/03
Try the pirelli diablos, good grip, reasonable wear rate - especially on a
600. You wont be dissapointed and if you want better grip go for the
corsa's. Of course rennsport are a divsion of pirelli Ive heard :P

"Aaron & Kylie" <nos...@site.com.au> wrote in message

Dave Ello

Oct 20, 2003, 7:11:23 PM10/20/03
<munch>

> Even with just panniers on for a 3000km trip my dunlop rear tyre was
shagged
> after it. The XX is a big machine with a lot of torque - add on the
> delicately sprung weight of Lisa's bottom and you will get a quicker wear
> rate. Nothing you can do about it except maybe put an old skool no grip
type
> thing on it.

Hey Joe,

How's it going? You'll get on - "delicate" bottom indeed! Hehe. I'll be
sure to pass that on to the missus. She is a slim chick but I'll put the
tyre wear down to her in entirety of course. Perhaps she should be forking
out for it too. After all I did buy the bike for her.... :)

No chance of dodgy tyres going on that little black beast. I don't really
care that they wear out quickly and expected it on this bike to be honest.
It loves a decent feed every now and then and that's going to chew rubber
quickly.

Anyway, keep smiling and hope to catch you out there soon mate - especially
with comments like that about the wife's 'delicate' behind... :)

Cheers,

Wocka

Oct 20, 2003, 11:23:11 PM10/20/03
Dave,

Make Lisa leave all the shoes at home. Sorry, ask politely if she would
leave all the non-essentials at home for this ride.

--

Wocka
( '99 CBR600 F4 )

"Dave Ello" <deldridg_s...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

Dave Ello

Oct 21, 2003, 12:22:28 AM10/21/03
"Wocka" <warwick.fergus...@ambition.com.au> threw a few grey
cells together and came up with the following:

> Dave,
>
> Make Lisa leave all the shoes at home. Sorry, ask politely if she would
> leave all the non-essentials at home for this ride.

Yes mate - it's a tough call indeed and it would take a brave man. I did
once suggest that we could travel in more comfort if she shaved back her
shoe requirements to 15 pairs, but as she said, we were at the time heading
out for a whole afternoon and a night so there was nothing she could do. I
understood completely.

Cheers - and see you at the Wocka Ribbon Ride on Sunday - or be square,
Dave ZZR600 => ST2 (stolen) => '03 XX shoe transporter

sharkey

Oct 21, 2003, 1:36:13 AM10/21/03
Sayeth Dave Ello <deldridg_s...@ozemail.com.au>:

> Yes mate - it's a tough call indeed and it would take a brave man. I did
> once suggest that we could travel in more comfort if she shaved

Lisa's going to kill you!

> shoe requirements to 15 pairs,

oh, right.

-----sharks
--
Nick 'Sharkey' Moore | Everyone complains about the laws of physics
<sha...@zoic.org> | but nobody ever does anything about them!

Dave Ello

Oct 21, 2003, 2:05:00 AM10/21/03
<snip>

> Lisa's going to kill you!

Hi Nick,

Hehe - I've painted quite a picture of her, poor little lambikins. She's
not at all the ogre I've portayed - if only she knew I'd be dead by now. :)

> > shoe requirements to 15 pairs,
>
> oh, right.

Yep - Imelda worked at DJs in the ladies shoe department for 7 years while
in high school and uni, so was there ever likely to be another outcome? I
now firmly believe that it's my great priviledge to work 25 mins of every
hour in my workday just to keep her feet shod in the finest vinyls.

In all truth, she's not really an Imelda, but there have been times... oh
Lord, help me! A mate of mine once came up with an important financial
statistic for his wife. He called it the "Hair products to earnings ratio"
and was able to successfully apply it to the acquisition of permission to
take flying lessons. I would compute that for us but am not certain my
cardio system is up to it...

Cheers,

sharkey

Oct 21, 2003, 4:00:20 AM10/21/03
Sayeth Dave Ello <deldridg_s...@ozemail.com.au>:

> <snip>
>
> > Lisa's going to kill you!
>
> Hehe - I've painted quite a picture of her, poor little lambikins. She's
> not at all the ogre I've portayed - if only she knew I'd be dead by now. :)

I'd say you deserve it, Mr. Ello!

-----sharko (poor snipped lambikins!)

Baron Von Rotter

Oct 21, 2003, 9:00:33 AM10/21/03
lol

youd have to come down to melbourne to do catch up with me

Rik Steenwinkel

Oct 23, 2003, 5:30:52 PM10/23/03
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:30:26 UTC, Zebee Johnstone <ze...@zip.com.au>
wrote:

It's currently 32k km ago that I put Avon AM21/22's on the K. And
they're still showing legal amounts of thread.

Wet-weather behaviour is getting a tad worrisome.

--
// Rik Steenwinkel '85 R80ST Skippy bike
// Enschede '91 R100GS/PD The Great Unwashed