V-Strom Comparo 650_1000_biased :)

glitch1

Nov 22, 2004, 1:42:37 AM11/22/04
It finally happened.
There's a 650K4 trade-in at Stevo's in Ringwood with only 2900km on the
clock and this morning was showtime after hmming and ahhing for the last few
months of wanting to take out a 650 for a spin on some "real" roads.

Both, the better half and I wanted to have a go and the sales guys were
good, no pressure, all smiles.
Rocked up on the Aprilia Pegaso 650 single and the 2003 DL1000, leaving the
1000 behind at the shop, since Goodie isn't too keen on riding it.

I had the first stint, later we swapped bikes.
First through some city and suburb-traffic and the 650 feels way lighter and
easier to manoeuvre than it should (seeing that nearly everything
looks/feels the same as my 1000). Then up the usual "test-stretch" of
Mountain Hwy, tight and twisty for 10km.
At the last red light on the bottom the visor goes up and I inform Goodie
that I'll take it easy, just having signed a $1500 excess-agreement in case
of damage.
300 meters further and all is forgotten...the first bend is approached with
caution, taking it just about upright, the next 2 are taken at "usual
cruising speed"...and then the wraps are off, this is way too much fun to
hold back any further.
The dreaded-on-the-1000 OEM-Bridgestones work well on the 650.
This thing is smooooth, ohhh so smooth. That SV650 mill is a sweet one,
punch from 4000-8000rpm, when it's just not worth spinning the engine for
more, better use the next gear. The clutch is also way smoother (cable) than
the hydraulic clutch of the 1000, easier to feather in carpark/traffic
situations, not as touchy.

Zipping through the bends just feeling the bike, I'm sure that corner-speed
is higher than with the 1000, the thing is just sooo flickable, so
nimble...deliberately taking an off-line entry, consequently running wide at
the exit, it's incredibly easy to load the front, shift the weight, and pull
her back into line, double-apexing the bend.
The extra-weight of the 1000 would've been a wrestle, this is a joy.

Since the frame is off the 1000, there is no question about the thing
knotting itself up when pushed; same goes for the other item off the
1000...the brakes. Where as braided-lines are a welcome addition on the
1000, the 650 doesn't need them.

The only glaring difference is the missing engine braking on the 650, kick
down the gears and there's not much coming..
At the start it was a bit upsetting since I'm used to it and even more so
with the big-single Pegaso...which can bite quite easily with vicious
compression-lockups.
The 650 just keeps rolling and needs a little nip-on-the-brakes.
Engine?
Oh so smooth, nearly vibration-free even if spun hard. Suzuki taking a few
horsepower off-the-top of the SV650 engine and adding it to the midrange has
produced an engine that suits the 650 brilliantly...tootling along in high
gears at 2500rpm or making the baby sing, whatever is asked, it delivers
without any side-effects.

Compared to the 1000:
Lighter, easier to flick/handle. More forgiving if off-line. Good
brakes/chassis. Way smoother in nearly all aspects than the 1000.
Seemingly quicker through bends due to less bulk. Plenty of zip and usable
power from 2500rpm to about 8k, running out of breath beyond that. Best
range 4000-7500rpm. OEM tyres seem to suit the bike.
Negatives? Should have a bashplate/ guard, the whole engine-front is
exposed. Handguards missing (shame the guards from the 1000 don't fit). Due
to the slightly lower seat the knee-angle is a touch more sharpish, quickly
forgotten though, once things are underway.

Compared to the Pegaso 650/ BMW F650 models.
Most obvious is the lack of engine-braking. The singles nearly dive into the
front-end when going off the throttle, not so the DL650.
Engine is way smoother than the singles, vibrations are virtually non-exist
in comparison. Due to it's size/length/chassis-geometry the DL650 is less
like a chookie than the singles, it rides more like a roadbike, seating
position is less "balls-to-the-tank" (weight forward) than the shorter
Aprilia/BMW. Corner-entries are not quite as "deep" as the singles can go
before going off-the-gas, but "back-on-the-twister" is at nearly the same
spot.with the same head-splitting-grin as on the singles.
The "Baby-Strom" is way more relaxed, rides smoother, is better suited to
touring and 2-up or lugging gear than the singles. Half the gearshifts are
required to do the same work.

Conclusion:
The "little Strom" is ONE SWEET BIKE (despite it's genetically hideous
looks) and one capable performer when it comes to the real world.
Curb-hopping, dirt-roads (which should also be easier than on the bulky
1000), good ergonomics and the on-demand lazy-to-quite-aggro
performance-spread make it a hell of an allrounder.
Ahhh.and more FUN than one can poke a stick at. In just about any mode.

We both liked it. A LOT. After only a few minutes, Goodie started to get
comfy with it, after the first break she [quote] "got on, as if I'd always
ridden the bike, it's so easy.ahhh..and FUN".

And at the current pricing of RRP $10k (some rumours abound that this could
be ride-away if haggling hard enough) it's an absolute BARGAIN.
More practical than the SV650, more versatile than most other bikes on
offer, it does a lot of things well in a nice/smooth mix.no surprise that so
far each imported lot has sold out well before the next lot is due to come
into the country.
Earlier in the year there was even a 3 months waiting time.
Goodonya, Suzuki !!

Then again...the sheer grunt of the 1000 is something else, the endless rush
of more and more is bloody addictive and the tyre-squirming bite out of
bends is glorious.
Had I been given the choice back in 2003...no, this is just too hard.
I really couldn't tell but there's a good part of me poiting to the 650.And
then again...? But...!!
1 each would be just perfect :)))
Cheers
pete

Peter Cremasco

Nov 22, 2004, 4:26:56 AM11/22/04
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:42:37 +1000, "glitch1" <glit...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>It finally happened.

Nice little review, Pete. Sounds like you had a ball doing it too. :)
---
Cheers

PeterC [aka MildThing]
'81 Suzuki GS450-s
'87 BMW K100RT

www.dmcsc.org.au

glitch1

Nov 22, 2004, 6:04:18 AM11/22/04

"Peter Cremasco" <crumpe...@irc.com.au>

> Nice little review, Pete. Sounds like you had a ball doing it too. :)
> ---
> Cheers

Was it that obvious? :))
cheers
pete

Conehead

Nov 22, 2004, 5:06:05 AM11/22/04

Peter Cremasco <crumpe...@irc.com.au> wrote in message

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:42:37 +1000, "glitch1" <glit...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >It finally happened.
>

> Nice little review, Pete. Sounds like you had a ball doing it too. :)
> ---
> Cheers
>
> PeterC [aka MildThing]

Yeah, but I'll wait for an expert's opinion. What do you reckon, Hatz?

--
Conehead
"Well.... I never said that I'd thought it all the way through........."