Music

1 view

Rossco

Jul 25, 2003, 8:06:11 AM7/25/03
I have just got home from a concert recital by some local strings
students.

Absolutely magnificent! (with the notable exception of the Myopic
chinaman weeping over stuffing up a beautiful table duet)

I never even once considered the depth of the sound stage or acuracy
of instrument placement. I certainly never wondered whether a better
amp would give more grunt to the piano lower registers, or if going
back to the MIT IC's would give that top end more of a roll off as
opposed to the Tara's.
No one abused me for enjoying Pachabellos Canon over handel's water
music. Nobody abused me about any of my listening preferences for
that matter...

I really need to get out more.
_____________

Thanx
Rossco

TT

Jul 25, 2003, 8:39:07 AM7/25/03

"Rossco" <te...@NOSPAMsscit.com> wrote in message
: I have just got home from a concert recital by some local

Ahhhhh yes and the rather fat lady sitting behind you with too
much perfume rustling her lolly packets during the quiet bits or
some other over exuberant mother telling all and sundry how good
little Johnnie is that is playing or the feedback squeals or the
50Hz hum through the cheap JBL speakers so the people up the back
can be just as pissed off as you are.

Mmmmmmmm! Been there.................... It helps me if I have
been to the bar first and indulged in some internal lubrication
though :-)

Live is good *but* do other people really have to be there too?

Regards TT

Rossco

Jul 25, 2003, 9:01:44 AM7/25/03

It was the proud grandfather with the sinus complaint to the left,
that actually got me thinking about my new CD player.

But boy it was good to hear a cello live again. Nothing quite like
that sound.

But I gotta agree. Why do they have to let all those other people in
there? And where was the wine and cheese. For a gold coin entry fee
we could of at least expected some coon and a cask of something
nasty!!!
_____________

Thanx
Rossco

Phil

Jul 26, 2003, 1:38:24 AM7/26/03

"TT" <sw...@swat.com.au> wrote in message

> or the feedback squeals or the
> 50Hz hum through the cheap JBL speakers so the people up the back
> can be just as pissed off as you are.

Which JBL speakers are cheap? :-)

Phil.

TT

Jul 26, 2003, 4:10:50 AM7/26/03

"Phil" <Ph...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
:
: "TT" <sw...@swat.com.au> wrote in message
:
:
The small monitors that seam to inundate every 2 bit tavern,
brothel, school stage and small entertainment centre or concert
hall.

Regards TT

PS About the brothel it is only from what I was told - by others
;-)

Phil Allison

Jul 26, 2003, 9:27:07 AM7/26/03

> "Phil" <Ph...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> :
> : "TT" <sw...@swat.com.au> wrote in message
> : news:3f2124e9$0$95049$c30e...@lon-reader.news.telstra.net...
> : > or the feedback squeals or the
> : > 50Hz hum through the cheap JBL speakers so the people up the
> back
> : > can be just as pissed off as you are.
> :
> : Which JBL speakers are cheap? :-)
> :
> : Phil.
> :
> :
> The small monitors that seam to inundate every 2 bit tavern,
> brothel, school stage and small entertainment centre or concert
> hall.

** Sounds like the "Control" series - junk made in China.

Their pro speaker systems and components are only for the well
heeled.

.............. Phil

MDHJWH

Jul 26, 2003, 8:56:42 PM7/26/03
"TT" <sw...@swat.com.au> wrote in message news:<3f223789$0$95045$c30e...@lon-reader.news.telstra.net>...

> PS About the brothel it is only from what I was told - by others
> ;-)
Hmm! How many of your audiophool mates pay attention to the sound gear
when being 'pleasured'? Strange priorities! Now if you want to really
enjoy yourself both ways I can recommend an establishment that runs a
modified pair of Jim Rogers ancient cylindrical thingies ( Leak 20/20
amp) either side of the bed in the 'Paris' room. etc $170 hr.$60 half
hour. BYO CD's if you want.
($300 hour if you want something really kinky like vinyl.)

Ayn Marx

PS. In case the 'moral dealership police' are monitoring this post -
please be assured I no longer have any commercial interest in the
establishment.

TT

Jul 26, 2003, 9:41:45 PM7/26/03

"MDHJWH" <mdh...@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
: "TT" <sw...@swat.com.au> wrote in message

Isn't that a bit expensive to have a lie down and listen to some
LPs :-))

ROTFLMAO

TT

roughplanet

Jul 26, 2003, 10:02:44 PM7/26/03

"MDHJWH" <mdh...@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message

> : > PS About the brothel it is only from what I was told - by others
> : > ;-)

> : Hmm! How many of your audiophool mates pay attention to the
> : sound gear when being 'pleasured'? Strange priorities! Now if you want
> : really enjoy yourself both ways I can recommend an establishment that
> : runs a modified pair of Jim Rogers ancient cylindrical thingies ( Leak
20/20

> : amp) either side of the bed in the 'Paris' room. etc $170 hr. $60 half

hour.
> : BYO CD's if you want.
> : ($300 hour if you want something really kinky like vinyl.)

> : PS. In case the 'moral dealership police' are monitoring this
> : post - please be assured I no longer have any commercial interest in
> : the establishment.

> "($300 hour if you want something really kinky like vinyl.)"
> Isn't that a bit expensive to have a lie down and listen to some
> LPs :-))
> ROTFLMAO

More like ROTFRMAO eh?

ruff

bassett

Jul 27, 2003, 11:57:28 PM7/27/03
>>Which JBL speakers are cheap? :-)

>>Phil.

The one's that fall of the back of a truck, or are sold by people in White
vans.

Jeremy

Jul 28, 2003, 11:59:54 PM7/28/03
"TT" <sw...@swat.com.au> wrote in message news:<3f2124e9$0$95049$c30e...@lon-reader.news.telstra.net>...

> : I never even once considered the depth of the sound stage or
> acuracy
> : of instrument placement. I certainly never wondered whether a
> better
> : amp would give more grunt to the piano lower registers, or if
> going
> : back to the MIT IC's would give that top end more of a roll off
> as
> : opposed to the Tara's.

But did you wonder how another ensemble would play the pieces? How the
hall affected the sound? Whether the soloist would be better playing a
Strad? There's just as much live music "geekery". And just as bitter
fights on usenet. When we turn our critical faculties off we can relax
into the experience.

> : No one abused me for enjoying Pachabellos Canon over handel's
> water
> : music.

rec.arts.music.classical

> Ahhhhh yes and the rather fat lady sitting behind you with too
> much perfume rustling her lolly packets during the quiet bits or
> some other over exuberant mother telling all and sundry how good
> little Johnnie is that is playing or the feedback squeals or the
> 50Hz hum through the cheap JBL speakers so the people up the back
> can be just as pissed off as you are.
>
> Mmmmmmmm! Been there.................... It helps me if I have
> been to the bar first and indulged in some internal lubrication
> though :-)
>
> Live is good *but* do other people really have to be there too?

I agree with everything TT just posted. Also, with amplified music,
the sound and performance live may be nothing like the studio album
which is, to me, disappointing. (99 times out of 100) And while I
could pop out and hear Bach or Beethoven's works performed fairly
easily I can't hear Miles, Bird, Throbbing Gristle or Alison Krauss.
This is something some live music advocates forget.

Having said that, we should ALL get out more to hear live music of
whatever style if only to realize how different live music sounds to
studio music and how differently it affects us.

Jeremy

Tony Pearce

Jul 29, 2003, 12:44:32 AM7/29/03

"bassett" <bas...@bassettskennel.com> wrote in message

> >>Which JBL speakers are cheap? :-)

> The one's that fall of the back of a truck, or are sold by people in White
> vans.

White van guys don't sell real JBL speakers, or anything else of quality.
But I guess they may sell the crappy chinese speakers that JBL put their
name on these days :-)

TonyP.

TT

Jul 29, 2003, 2:31:46 AM7/29/03

"Jeremy" <everyone...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

Whooohooo;-) Big head time here. Not often I hear that in this group or
actually anywhere. But seriously now......

Also, with amplified music,
> the sound and performance live may be nothing like the studio album
> which is, to me, disappointing. (99 times out of 100) And while I
> could pop out and hear Bach or Beethoven's works performed fairly
> easily I can't hear Miles, Bird, Throbbing Gristle or Alison Krauss.
> This is something some live music advocates forget.
>
> Having said that, we should ALL get out more to hear live music of
> whatever style if only to realize how different live music sounds to
> studio music and how differently it affects us.
>
> Jeremy

What "studio" music lacks is the live interaction between the performers and
the instruments. When track after track of separate instruments are laid
down it sounds very artificial. This is opposed to a studio recording of a
live ensemble where they do interact and of course sound a lot better.

What I hate (as mentioned) about live performances is the audience of which
more liberalised gun laws would solve ;-)

Regards TT

Rossco

Jul 29, 2003, 4:00:05 AM7/29/03

Yep no arguments what so ever. My point was purely what a joy it was
to have muso's to interact with as opposed to valves for a change..
(and for all you who are tempted I couldn't vare less whether you like
valves or transistors)
Not suggesting for a moment that I am about to abandon my Miles
collection for a myopic adolesent chinese vituoso.

_____________

Thanx
Rossco

Jeremy

Jul 30, 2003, 12:54:24 AM7/30/03
> What I hate (as mentioned) about live performances is the audience of which
> more liberalised gun laws would solve ;-)

Single-ended or push-pull silencer?

Jeremy

MDHJWH

Jul 30, 2003, 4:13:12 AM7/30/03
Rossco <te...@NOSPAMsscit.com> wrote in message news:<44acivsv765cdh1vi...@4ax.com>...

>. My point was purely what a joy it was
> to have muso's to interact with as opposed to valves for a change..
How do you ineract with your valves? (if it's not a rude question pet)
> (and for all you who are tempted I couldn't care less whether you like
> valves or transistors)
Neither could I .

> Not suggesting for a moment that I am about to abandon my Miles
> collection for a myopic adolesent chinese vituoso.

Dont' know anything about myopic chinese virtuosi but an evening with
Miles
via the big bottles could be very cosy.
You have any Miles recommendations for me? I fell in love with his
stuff only a few
years ago so still have lots to look forward to-still playing Sketches
of Spain over & over
& hearing something new each time.

Ayn Marx . . . . . . ........ .. . .waddling off to interact with
her bi-polars.

TT

Jul 30, 2003, 4:50:46 AM7/30/03

"Jeremy" <everyone...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

Sawn-off pump action 12 gauge ;-) Everyone else would get the message after
the first shot.

And then there's road-rage as well ..................

TT

Francis Xavier Holden

Jul 30, 2003, 7:38:03 AM7/30/03
On 30 Jul 2003 01:13:12 -0700, mdh...@iprimus.com.au (MDHJWH) wrote:

>Dont' know anything about myopic chinese virtuosi but an evening with
>Miles
>via the big bottles could be very cosy.
>You have any Miles recommendations for me? I fell in love with his
>stuff only a few
>years ago so still have lots to look forward to-still playing Sketches
>of Spain over & over
>& hearing something new each time.

I know you didn't ask me but I dont always need an invite.

I doubt you'll ever get tired of Sketches - its one of those rare
masterpieces that transcends genres and is truly radical. Dont forget
KIND OF BLUE - there seems to be shitloads of remasters around of it
these days. All of them get better each time. I forget just when it
happened but some of the remasters have altered the speed either up or
down to the alleged *correct* speed if you are interested in
trainspotting listening.

I like 'ROUND ABOUT MIDNIGHT and generally most stuff he did with
Coltrane. MILESTONES is good.

I'm not keen on the later electric / fusion/ rockist phase but then
maybe I'm just getting old. Although I never liked it back then. No
doubt if you were around in the hippy daze you'll have an old
scratched vinyl copy of BITCHES BREW somewhere. IN A SILENT WAY is an
easier listen, and a better album imo, if you want to sample his
electronic stuff

I love his PORGY AND BESS but then I'm an old romantic. MILES AHEAD
because its cool and its got Gil Evans. MILES SMILES has Wayne Shorter
who is still playing around live and Herbie Hancock. A bit less
easier to get into but rewarding serious jazz by serious jazz musos.

Surprisingly in general most of the various collections of Miles Best
of etc, are good listening and a good way to sample what you might
like.
..
F X Holden

Rossco

Jul 30, 2003, 8:17:53 AM7/30/03
On 30 Jul 2003 01:13:12 -0700, mdh...@iprimus.com.au (MDHJWH) wrote:

Sketches is one of those listen a 100 times and hear something new
each time. Wonderful!
" Kind of blue" is a must have Absolutely his best IMHO
Miles from nowhere is pretty good
Porgy and Bess is some nice turns of some old tunes. Pretty creative.
Can't stand most of the newer electronic era.
Pretty much anything pre '84 is good IMO.

I bought most of mine as vinyl off ebay. Very cheap and so far
haven't been to badly burned with quality.
(Still searching for a good way to clean the vinyl though.)

BTW Thanks for the AT-OC9 rebuild by tiviloi tip. That is the option
I will take I think. Must pick your brain re Phono stages sometime as
you seem to have a pretty good grasp on how it all works.

>Ayn Marx . . . . . . ........ .. . .waddling off to interact with
>her bi-polars.

Does this refer to the manic depressives in ths NG or your speakers?

_____________

Thanx
Rossco

AudioEnz

Jul 30, 2003, 4:33:02 PM7/30/03
in article t9afiv8s9gc7rplau...@4ax.com, Francis Xavier Holden
at fjho...@softhome.net wrote on 30/7/03 11:38 PM:

> I doubt you'll ever get tired of Sketches - its one of those rare
> masterpieces that transcends genres and is truly radical. Dont forget
> KIND OF BLUE - there seems to be shitloads of remasters around of it
> these days. All of them get better each time. I forget just when it
> happened but some of the remasters have altered the speed either up or
> down to the alleged *correct* speed if you are interested in
> trainspotting listening.

Kind of Blue is one of those albums that make you glad you have ears. It's
definitely one of my desert island discs.

For a change, the current CD is the best - great sound, correct speed,
excellent packaging.

> I'm not keen on the later electric / fusion/ rockist phase but then
> maybe I'm just getting old.

I've never got into it either. I know that this stage of Miles' career was
influential and all that, but it does nothing for me.

Michael Jones
Editor, AudioEnz

---------------------
16 years of New Zealand's hi-fi and home theatre resource
http://www.audioenz.co.nz
Have your say on our forum at http://www.audioenz.co.nz/forums
email: info at audioenz dot co dot nz

MDHJWH

Jul 31, 2003, 4:00:04 AM7/31/03
Francis Xavier Holden <fjho...@softhome.net> wrote in message news:<t9afiv8s9gc7rplau...@4ax.com>...
Thanks for the clues. I've started shopping......And I am a geriatric
hippy whose early vinyl collection sadly was stolen in the early 80's
.
Think I'll start with Kind of Blue & Work backwards for now.

Thanks again FX.

Ayn Marx

MDHJWH

Jul 31, 2003, 4:11:28 AM7/31/03
Rossco <te...@NOSPAMsscit.com> wrote in message news:<9hcfivshcnouoefo8...@4ax.com>...

>> BTW Thanks for the AT-OC9 rebuild by tiviloi tip. That is the
option
> I will take I think. Must pick your brain re Phono stages sometime as
> you seem to have a pretty good grasp on how it all works.
No , I know very little of how phono pre-amps 'work' All I know is
what I enjoy listening to
on my system and most of that had been with gear modified by Tony
McKay.
Others here can tell you a great deal more than me about phono-pre's.
Be warned not to discuss any of this with the sales staff at Tivoli,
They will attempt to flog you
an Electrocompaniet phono-pre at a hidiously inflated price. Wouldn't
be a bad move at one quater of what they are asking though.
If I was in the market for a phono pre at the moment I'd have Patrick
Turner put together one tailored especially to the OC9. > >By the way
OC9's like two gobs of blue tack (half the size of a match head) stuck
to the side of the cartridge body up front.

> >Ayn Marx . . . . . . ........ .. . .waddling off to interact with
> >her bi-polars.
>
> Does this refer to the manic depressives in this NG or your speakers?
Neither ducks--I was thinking of trannies.

Rossco

Jul 31, 2003, 5:18:10 PM7/31/03
On 31 Jul 2003 01:11:28 -0700, mdh...@iprimus.com.au (MDHJWH) wrote:

>Rossco <te...@NOSPAMsscit.com> wrote in message news:<9hcfivshcnouoefo8...@4ax.com>...
>>> BTW Thanks for the AT-OC9 rebuild by tiviloi tip. That is the
>option
>> I will take I think. Must pick your brain re Phono stages sometime as
>> you seem to have a pretty good grasp on how it all works.
>No , I know very little of how phono pre-amps 'work' All I know is
>what I enjoy listening to on my system

Is there any other way?

>and most of that had been with gear modified by Tony McKay.

Who is he?

>If I was in the market for a phono pre at the moment I'd have Patrick
>Turner put together one tailored especially to the OC9.

Hmmmmm... Pat?

> >By the way
>OC9's like two gobs of blue tack (half the size of a match head) stuck
>to the side of the cartridge body up front.

OK I'll give it a try. Ta.