Lousy Milk

Boggler

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
What's this crappy Pura milk that Woolworths is now selling to their
customers?
Who are they trying to kid?
Is this just another example of the 'benefits' of privatisation and
deregulation?

Tom Davies

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98

Boggler wrote in message <35cb9053...@news.bigpond.com>...

Yeah, I hate it when I have to decide which brand I like best. I wish the
government would only allow one type of each thing.

Tom

Scott Steel

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
On Sat, 8 Aug 1998 13:24:18 +1000, "Tom Davies" <t...@netspace.net.au>
wrote:

Ho ho 8^)

But to be fair, It is pretty foul milk Tom.Watery as shit and tastes
like Cowpow or some other, similar biomass crop.Maybe the grass down
in Victoria just sucks, who knows :-)

The Norco milk that was supplying the stores over here was a magnitude
of order more superior in terms of taste and consistency.But the bit
that really pisses me off is that the new Pura milk bottle-tops are
blue! We dont have blue milk bottle-tops here because of the danger it
poses to Satin Bowerbirds, they seem to have a fetish with blue tops
even though it strangles them.The milk producers here all have changed
their top colour to clear or white or yellow, but now , with the
information void that is so often deregulation, there will probably be
blue bottle-tops for many moons to come :-(

Cheers!
Scott Steel

"Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick
themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
-Winston Churchill-

Email: managemen...@omcs.com.au
Remove "management." for successful communication.

Tom Davies

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98

Scott Steel wrote in message <35cdd500...@loomi.telstra.net>...

>We dont have blue milk bottle-tops here because of the danger it
>poses to Satin Bowerbirds, they seem to have a fetish with blue tops
>even though it strangles them.

Avian Hutchences?

Tom

Scott Steel

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
On Sat, 8 Aug 1998 15:59:42 +1000, "Tom Davies" <t...@netspace.net.au>
wrote:

8^)

Where the bowerbird is in a position where it is inappropriately
choked, Hutchence just choked in an inappropriate position 8^)

Boggler

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
"Tom Davies" <t...@netspace.net.au> wrote:

>Boggler wrote in message <35cb9053...@news.bigpond.com>...
>>What's this crappy Pura milk that Woolworths is now selling to their
>>customers?
>>Who are they trying to kid?
>>Is this just another example of the 'benefits' of privatisation and
>>deregulation?
>
>Yeah, I hate it when I have to decide which brand I like best. I wish the
>government would only allow one type of each thing.
>

>Tom

Clear proof that indoctrination deadens the brain.

Even the most ardent fan of free enterprise should be able to observe
that deregulation has resulted in a lot of piss-filled milk cartons.

Stick to something stronger, Tom, and you'll be OK!

BrainBlower

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
managemen...@omcs.com.au (Scott Steel) wrote:

>On Sat, 8 Aug 1998 13:24:18 +1000, "Tom Davies" <t...@netspace.net.au>

>wrote:
>

>>Boggler wrote in message <35cb9053...@news.bigpond.com>...
>>>What's this crappy Pura milk that Woolworths is now selling to their
>>>customers?
>>>Who are they trying to kid?
>>>Is this just another example of the 'benefits' of privatisation and
>>>deregulation?
>>
>>Yeah, I hate it when I have to decide which brand I like best. I wish the
>>government would only allow one type of each thing.
>

>Ho ho 8^)
>
>But to be fair, It is pretty foul milk Tom.Watery as shit and tastes
>like Cowpow or some other, similar biomass crop.Maybe the grass down
>in Victoria just sucks, who knows :-)
>
>The Norco milk that was supplying the stores over here was a magnitude
>of order more superior in terms of taste and consistency.But the bit
>that really pisses me off is that the new Pura milk bottle-tops are

>blue! We dont have blue milk bottle-tops here because of the danger it

>poses to Satin Bowerbirds, they seem to have a fetish with blue tops

>even though it strangles them.The milk producers here all have changed
>their top colour to clear or white or yellow, but now , with the
>information void that is so often deregulation, there will probably be
>blue bottle-tops for many moons to come :-(
>

>Cheers!
>Scott Steel

I cut the rings in half before giving them to the bower birds on my
property. They love them.
The environment movement now has to go to all the trouble of
re-educating the manufacturers, thanks to this latest LIBLAB comedy
act.

Deadly

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
On Fri, 07 Aug 1998 23:46:56 GMT, Boggler wrote:

>What's this crappy Pura milk that Woolworths is now selling to their
>customers?
>Who are they trying to kid?
>Is this just another example of the 'benefits' of privatisation and
>deregulation?

G'day,

Regulation of an industry just means that you get only
one standard of product, regardless of brand names,
and you have to take that regulated standard product
regardless of personal preference. Deregulation means
that anyone can sell any brand and you can exercise
your consumer rights by buying the brand that you
prefer and not buying the ones you don't. If the companies
do not sell enough of a product they stop carrying it and it
stops being made.

By the way Pura brand milk has been around for about
10 years o more, but not always available everywhere
because of who owned which milk processing plant
etc. Its availablity in your area recently is more likely
to be that a nearby processing plant has been recently
taken over by the organisation that owns Pura milk.

Deadly

Bruce Lloyd

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
Deadly wrote in message <35d60f0f...@dnews.tpgi.com.au>...

>By the way Pura brand milk has been around for about
>10 years o more, but not always available everywhere
>because of who owned which milk processing plant
>etc. Its availablity in your area recently is more likely
>to be that a nearby processing plant has been recently
>taken over by the organisation that owns Pura milk.

I think he was talking about the appearance of this milk in Woolworths.
It is due to deregulation and Woolies can now buy their milk for the
wholesaler direct rather than the milk vender as previously.

So now someone's income has been severely reduced but have you noticed
any difference in the price? Nope, Woollies has pocketed the vendors
profit margin.

So much for deregulation leading to better prices (again).

BTW did you know Woollies petrol is imported? It is not refined in
Australia.

--
Regards
Bruce

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~bcl
Delightful Dapto - Gateway to the south.
_________________________________

Remove underwear. for personal replies

Tom Davies

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98

Boggler wrote in message <35ce2553...@news.bigpond.com>...

>Clear proof that indoctrination deadens the brain.
>
>Even the most ardent fan of free enterprise should be able to observe
>that deregulation has resulted in a lot of piss-filled milk cartons.

A small price to pay, although I suppose it may make things difficult for
the illiterate.

>Stick to something stronger, Tom, and you'll be OK!

I buy milk at random in NSW and haven't yet found a (full-cream) brand I
don't like.

Tom

BrainBlower

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
dea...@tpgi.com.au (Deadly) wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Aug 1998 23:46:56 GMT, Boggler wrote:
>
>>What's this crappy Pura milk that Woolworths is now selling to their
>>customers?
>>Who are they trying to kid?
>>Is this just another example of the 'benefits' of privatisation and
>>deregulation?
>
>G'day,
>
>Regulation of an industry just means that you get only
>one standard of product, regardless of brand names,
>and you have to take that regulated standard product
>regardless of personal preference. Deregulation means
>that anyone can sell any brand and you can exercise
>your consumer rights by buying the brand that you
>prefer and not buying the ones you don't. If the companies
>do not sell enough of a product they stop carrying it and it
>stops being made.
>

>By the way Pura brand milk has been around for about
>10 years o more, but not always available everywhere
>because of who owned which milk processing plant
>etc. Its availablity in your area recently is more likely
>to be that a nearby processing plant has been recently
>taken over by the organisation that owns Pura milk.
>

>Deadly

I suspect the Jeff Kennett has just played a king size joke on NSW. He
has watered down Victorian milk and flogged it off cheap, over the
border, mainly to Woolworths.
Well, I was pleased to discover that I can still buy full cream milk
at other outlets.
I think Woollies has backed a real loser in this one. Noone will buy
the stuff.

Seagrass

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98
BrainBlower wrote:

> dea...@tpgi.com.au (Deadly) wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 07 Aug 1998 23:46:56 GMT, Boggler wrote:
> >
> >>What's this crappy Pura milk that Woolworths is now selling to their
> >>customers?
> >>Who are they trying to kid?
> >>Is this just another example of the 'benefits' of privatisation and
> >>deregulation?
>
> I suspect the Jeff Kennett has just played a king size joke on NSW. He
> has watered down Victorian milk and flogged it off cheap, over the
> border, mainly to Woolworths.
>
> I think Woollies has backed a real loser in this one. Noone will buy
> the stuff.

Actually, having been denied the right to employment in my chosen
occupation, makin' chemicals, and being now a milko, i can give you the
inside information on this story.

NSW milk industry has been regulated for the last 50 years. As of july
1, most of the regulation has gone.

Woolworths refused to deal with Dairy Farmers (at first) because they
like to go through central warehousing of all their stocks, which would
conflict with the "vendor system" of milk distribution which Dairy
Farmers, and also National Foods, the other major NSW processor, has
stuck with.

Pura is a National Foods brand, and is imported directly from National
Foods to the Woolies warehouse at Fairfield, bypassing the vendors. It
sits there for a day before it gets put onto your local Woolies shelves.

Those are the basic facts. However, milk ain't milk, as we say, and you
might care to know a little more about Pura.

Pura is feedlot milk. The cows are fed on feed produced on irrigated
paddocks out west They stand in the sun until their udders are
adequately distended (just like Pammie Anderson) and then their contents
are disgorged into the industrial food stream.

As far as I am concerned, growing pasture by irrigating to feed cows is
just a high tech version of slash and burn agriculture. You pour water
onto the Australian inland and you raise the water table, bringing salt
to the surface, and poisoning the soil for the next generation.
However, it is cheap. Which is a virtue, in Woolies' book.

Furthermore, feed additives, like chicken manure, are added to the poor
bloody bovines' diets, which gives you that faintly tainted taste that
Pura has.

Contrast that with your average Dairy Farmers supplier's farm, brackeny
coastal naturally watered paddocks where naturally good grass grows and
the cows know enough about their job to wander up to the milking shed
'round about dawn and again in the evening. Beatifully bucolic, isn't
it?
Man and animal taking care of each udder in a minimally exploitative
relationship. And not a hint of salt finding its way into the soil, or
shit into the Jerseys' feed.

Anyway, this cosy corporate relationship has sidelined many of your
smaller dairy cooperatives and caused a revolt among the consuming
public, which started this thread.

All I can suggest to you esteemed readers is that you insist on
receiving the milk that you prefer, 'specially considering the
environmental consequences of buying the Pura crap, and demand that
Woolies go back to stocking Dairy Farmers brands, and all of them, not
just the Lite White and Shape that they've been forced to by consumer
demand so far.
--
PEDLAR

Given their freedom to do so,
most men choose to imitate each other.

Annette

Aug 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/17/98
On Sat, 15 Aug 1998 21:59:12 +1000, Seagrass <seag...@easy.com.au>
wrote:

<snip>

>Actually, having been denied the right to employment in my chosen
>occupation, makin' chemicals, and being now a milko, i can give you the
>inside information on this story.

<snip>

>Furthermore, feed additives, like chicken manure, are added to the poor
>bloody bovines' diets, which gives you that faintly tainted taste that
>Pura has.

<snip>

> Man and animal taking care of each udder in a minimally exploitative
>relationship. And not a hint of salt finding its way into the soil, or
>shit into the Jerseys' feed.

hmmm.
wasnt that sort of thing suspect in the 'mad cow' disease, at first?
I found out there was an outbreak of scrapie (disease of sheep) in
Freo many years ago.
It is said that if those sheep had been fed to the cattle as 'feed
additives' that we may well have seen 'mad cow' disease here.

Still.... antibiotics, chemicals, waste products,and who knows what
else ... all go into our food one way or another.
It kind of makes you wonder how much we are contributing to our own
ill health, and whether or not continued ingestion will um,... turn us
into something often seen in earlier screenings of the X-files.