1st day of kindy

1 view

A&G&K&H

Feb 1, 2006, 7:26:39 PM2/1/06
K started kindergarten this morning.
Wonderful teachers, wonderful Kindy / Preschool , and I'm so glad she's
going but at the same time I'm so sad she's growing up so fast :(
She was in her element as soon as she went in the door ... she had been
walked through the "morning procedure" once on the day we first went and
remembered where to put her morning tea, her bag and was concerned that I
hadn't brought her sheets and pillow ... until I reminded her that on her
first two days, I was coming to get her at lunch time and not afternoon-tea
time so she didn't have to have a rest.
She was straight over to the playground, and I coaxed her over to do some
painting and to have a bit more of a look around.
She was quite happy to wave us goodbye when the piano started to play (the
signal for kids to sit on the mat, and Mum's to say goodbyes and leave.

I asked her what she thought her first day would be like:
"Well, I might do some jumping ... its a 'jumping kindy'" ???
What else:
"Oh probably some painting and drawing and I might do a dance for Mrs X".

I can't wait for the conversation and details of the day when I pick her up
;).....
Amanda

PS - hope all the other kids starting school / kindy / preschool / prep have
a wonderful first week.

sm

Feb 1, 2006, 7:36:59 PM2/1/06
A&G&K&H wrote:

> K started kindergarten this morning.
> Wonderful teachers, wonderful Kindy / Preschool , and I'm so glad she's
> going but at the same time I'm so sad she's growing up so fast :(

I think preschool was more of a 'thing' for me than C starting school.
They seem so little at preschool.

> I asked her what she thought her first day would be like:
> "Well, I might do some jumping ... its a 'jumping kindy'" ???
> What else:
> "Oh probably some painting and drawing and I might do a dance for Mrs X".

What a cutie.

> I can't wait for the conversation and details of the day when I pick her up
> ;).....
> Amanda

I hope you get some details. Only my 13yr old gives me a run down of
his day, 12 yr old mumbles "I dunno" if I ask him about his day and 5 yr
old used to give barely any details about pre-school "I can't remember"
but did have a few stories to tell about his first day of school yesterday.

Message has been deleted

meee

Feb 2, 2006, 12:16:34 AM2/2/06

"A&G&K&H" <corymbia200...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
sorry to butt in here but I have a question...last year I tried to book Ds1
(turning 4 this year) into kindy for this year. I was told he couldn't start
til 07 as he is born in the second half of the year. He is sooo ready for
kindy it's not funny. This is very annoying as by the time he gets to kindy
he will be ready for preschool/prep which really concerns me, and he will be
turning 7 when he hits grade1 !! I am teaching him to read and write this
year, as he has been ready for it for some time, but I've been too run down
to do anything spectacular about it. Does anyone else have any experience
with this, and is there anything I can do about it? I was told it was the
governments fault.

A&G&K&H

Feb 2, 2006, 1:11:06 AM2/2/06

"meee" <pleasea...@meee.com> wrote in message

> "A&G&K&H" <corymbia200...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> >
> sorry to butt in here but I have a question...last year I tried to book
Ds1
> (turning 4 this year) into kindy for this year. I was told he couldn't
start
> til 07 as he is born in the second half of the year. He is sooo ready for
> kindy it's not funny. This is very annoying as by the time he gets to
kindy
> he will be ready for preschool/prep which really concerns me, and he will
be
> turning 7 when he hits grade1 !! I am teaching him to read and write this
> year, as he has been ready for it for some time, but I've been too run
down
> to do anything spectacular about it. Does anyone else have any experience
> with this, and is there anything I can do about it? I was told it was the
> governments fault.

Depends on the kindy.
C&K centres are still taking kindy classes this year, but H won't get to
start the year he turns 4 (like K) as the C&K centres are transitioning over
to do prep years as well as the govt schools (basically because the govt
already knows it isn't going to have the facilities to cope with the extra
kids).

I think our C&K are offering a kindy year next year, but H will have to wait
until the year he turns 5 to start "kindy" (they can't call that year
"preschool" anymore as that is seen to compete with "prep"???? .... that's
what the guy from Ed Q told me anyway).

A&G&K&H

Feb 2, 2006, 1:12:05 AM2/2/06

"Ms Leebee" <leebeeNOTHI...@ozdebate.com> wrote in message

> that's lovely :)
:) I think so

> Have you been reading all the Weekend Mags from the papers that
interviewed
> little kids (a) starting school, and (b) advice from the sage crew that
> began last year. Some real classics like "you can't go to school
naked"...
> hmm .. good advice ;)

Hehe ... they come up with some beaudys don't they?

A&G&K&H

Feb 2, 2006, 1:13:40 AM2/2/06

"sm" <beyond....@REMOVEgmail.com> wrote in message

She had a great time .... I got to peek on her last 5 minutes of singing and
dancing time and she was having a great time ... until she saw me. She came
and told me she missed me and then told me about the day and made sure I got
every single one of her paintings and collages to take home.

Leanne

Feb 2, 2006, 1:18:32 AM2/2/06

>K started kindergarten this morning.

how did she like it?

A&G&K&H

Feb 2, 2006, 1:30:13 AM2/2/06

"Leanne" <lstac...@spamyspamhotmail.com> wrote in message

> >K started kindergarten this morning.
>
> how did she like it?

Had a great time and is happy to be going back tomorrow :)
The teachers stagger the start of kindy classes so that they only have 10
kids in the first two weeks ... I nearly remembered all their names this
arvo so its a great idea :)

meee

Feb 2, 2006, 2:27:55 AM2/2/06

"A&G&K&H" <corymbia200...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
Yeah, sounds pretty much like what I was told. I'm just hoping that if he is
massively bored they will have enough sense to let him go up a grade.

The Purple Monster

Feb 2, 2006, 3:52:14 AM2/2/06
meee wrote:

Is this of any help?

http://education.qld.gov.au/etrf/faq-prep1.html

TPM (and welcome back!)

Chookie

Feb 2, 2006, 4:59:40 AM2/2/06
In article <SAgEf.233507$V7.2...@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
"meee" <pleasea...@meee.com> wrote:

> sorry to butt in here but I have a question...last year I tried to book Ds1
> (turning 4 this year) into kindy for this year. I was told he couldn't start
> til 07 as he is born in the second half of the year. He is sooo ready for
> kindy it's not funny. This is very annoying as by the time he gets to kindy
> he will be ready for preschool/prep which really concerns me, and he will be
> turning 7 when he hits grade1 !! I am teaching him to read and write this
> year, as he has been ready for it for some time, but I've been too run down
> to do anything spectacular about it. Does anyone else have any experience
> with this, and is there anything I can do about it? I was told it was the
> governments fault.

They may be bulling you. Check the education dept website in your state, as
there should be information about early entry. You might have to jump through
a few hoops in terms of assessment, but it's certainly doable in NSW.

In NSW:

Specific criteria to guide student placement for early entry to primary
school

School principals should use these guidelines when determining suitability
for early entry to school.

1. When a student is being considered for early entry, the school
should carry out a comprehensive psychological evaluation of intellectual
functioning, academic skills and social-emotional adjustment. This should be
undertaken by a school counsellor or a registered psychologist.
2. Academically, students should demonstrate levels of skill which
are well above the average of the class they desire to enter.
3. Judgments about the student's emotional maturity should include
input from the student's parents and the school counsellor or psychologist.
Some gifted and talented students may have social or emotional problems due to
the lack of a compatible peer group. It is important that teachers do not
confuse the absence of close peer relationships with social immaturity. Early
entry may alleviate such a problem.
4. Ideally, early enrolment should occur at natural entry points,
such as the beginning of the school year. However, placement at other times
may be desirable where the student' s previous teacher and the receiving
teacher may more easily confer about the best way to help the student to make
a smooth transition.
5. A student's physical size, physical or sensory disability should
not prohibit early entry to school.
6. Advanced placement should be reviewed after one term. At this time
the committee who made the initial decision for early entry should reconvene
to evaluate the placement.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

meee

Feb 2, 2006, 4:30:54 PM2/2/06

"The Purple Monster" <purplemonster...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Thanks for that, that was very helpful. Oh well, at least some of their
reasoning is logical. I don't mind having him at home for another year, it
means I get to keep my baby for a bit longer :)and it won't be as if he's
the only child in that age group, as about half the other children will be
in the same boat. Thanks for the welcome back too :)

meee

Feb 2, 2006, 4:33:40 PM2/2/06

"Chookie" <ehreb...@fowlspambegone.com.au> wrote in message
I might ring around a few kindys then...might be a bit late, but it's worth
a try. The one I did ring just said straight out that they 'weren't allowed'
to do anything...hmmm. The government website The Purple Monster gave me
seemed to say that it would be 'optional' this year.

Jake Mysterio

Feb 2, 2006, 7:10:59 PM2/2/06

is there anything I can do about it? I was told it was the
>>> governments fault.

You can at (least in victoria), have your child Assessed ( I think it is
either human services or the education department who does it) to decide if
they are ready or not. My son is not even 4 yet, but is able to be in
kinder this year. But Monash who did his IQ test wanted us to get him
Assessed so that he could Start Prep this year instead but I refused I just
couldnt possibly send my 3 year old to school!!! The same assessment can be
done for kinder, but from what I understand, unless the child was born may,
june, july it is unlikely they would approve it. Or if there is a reason
like high IQ which is my sons case (at 3years 9months he reads over 50words,
writes and reads the alphabet and numbers to 15 etc) He definately could
cope with the prep work but not the social aspects. I personally would
probably focus in on the reading and writing at home and just give your
child a head start for when they do go. Once in school if they are miles
ahead surely the school would have to assess where your child fits in. By
the way for teaching reading at home, check out www.starfall.com it is an
american site and does have the word mommy in there a couple of times but
other than that it is really quite good.

Cheri

meee

Feb 2, 2006, 7:26:22 PM2/2/06

"Jake Mysterio" <cre...@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
Thanks for that Cheri!! I'm definitely teaching him (and possibly DS2) to
read this year, there's no way I'm letting him get held back by the school
system. Mum taught me to read at 3, and I was able to skip a grade because
of it, and DH is extremely bright and they seem to be taking after him in
that way. the main problem is that, like DH, if bored DS1 gets naughty. So
reading and writing would give him something constructive to do. He spends a
lot of time playing piano, which saves my sanity, but he seems to be trying
to 'write' lately...he 'draws' long lines of swirls and shapes. So I'd
better get cracking!! That website looks great, he is looking at it with me
now, and very keen. Oh, and the wiggles website has some great educational
simple games, including an alphabet one that is good, so get your
Wiggleophiles onto it!!

Message has been deleted

Cheryl

Feb 3, 2006, 5:36:34 PM2/3/06

My K aka Mischief started preschool a day late this week due to being
sick her first day (which should have been Thurs). She had been
telling me for months that when she started in the Bluebirds she was
going to paint me a painting and then play with playdoh and then play
in the sandpit. It turned out exactly like she'd planned I think, she
was painting before I left and the director introduced her to two
little girls playing playdoh when I said goodbye to her. Then I came
home and Chickie and I basically slept for the rest of the day.

Next week will be better for all of us I'm sure, once we all get into
our routines and it becomes a bit more second nature.

Cheryl