GAF clothes in Melbourne

1 view

snorkel

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
miss alexandra <diam...@mindless.com> wrote:

>Many moons ago at what used to be the fleamarkets in the city at the
>flinders end of swanston there was a very lovely lady who used to make
>the most amazing GAF clothing. Does anyone know what happened to her?
>Is that now Arachne? The stuff doesnt look similar, but it could be the
>same people. There's the chance it could be Phantazeum, but I am almost
>positive that it wasn't them, either (i think they were still at Peril
>at the time... but thats from memory).

Well, I can't say for certain what happened to her, but I /do/ know
that most of the clothing from that place wound up in the Mystic East
in Box Hill (gods I love that shop!)... Also try Sally's Hats on Smith
Street, the clothing she makes there is verra similar if I remember
correctly, and of lovely quality.

Janie, retail therapist.

snorkel

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
ne...@vurt.net (Neef) wrote:

>ok..which peril was it?
>Was it when Peril was on Swanston street? If so I think it was
>Phantazeum,

<blink> There's a Peril on Swanston Street?

Janie.

Neef

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 02:33:08 GMT, fe...@nospam.ains.net.au (snorkel)
wrote:

>miss alexandra <diam...@mindless.com> wrote:
>
>>Many moons ago at what used to be the fleamarkets in the city at the
>>flinders end of swanston there was a very lovely lady who used to make
>>the most amazing GAF clothing. Does anyone know what happened to her?
>>Is that now Arachne? The stuff doesnt look similar, but it could be the
>>same people. There's the chance it could be Phantazeum, but I am almost
>>positive that it wasn't them, either (i think they were still at Peril
>>at the time... but thats from memory).

ok..which peril was it?
Was it when Peril was on Swanston street? If so I think it was

Phantazeum, If it was peril Underground, downstairs then its always
Been Arachne.
I dont know whats happened to Phantazeum, But last time I checked
Arachne was still a going concern...

*shrug*...beyond that, cant help..sorry....

Neef (blah...work....I cant believe Im at work)

While true love can conquer death, it takes the purity of lust to overcome a shattering hangover.

Benno Rice

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:06:46 GMT, Neef <ne...@vurt.net> wrote:
>ok..which peril was it?
>Was it when Peril was on Swanston street? If so I think it was
>Phantazeum, If it was peril Underground, downstairs then its always
>Been Arachne.
>I dont know whats happened to Phantazeum, But last time I checked
>Arachne was still a going concern...

Phantazeum's moved to Chapel Street. Might be able to hunt up the exact
address if people are interested. They existed at Peril Underground for a
while but got pissed off at the-guy-wot-owns-Peril-whose-name-I-can't-recall.

--
Benno Rice "Diamonds are forever... but
XNFP Aries Dark Subculture- oranges are for half-time."

Neef

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99

><blink> There's a Peril on Swanston Street?

There *was*
Peril a few years back used to be up the top end where slowglass Books
now is..
this was about 2 years back now....

Neef (at least my work sig isnt on this post)

Gerard

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
>ok..which peril was it?
>Was it when Peril was on Swanston street? If so I think it was
>Phantazeum, If it was peril Underground, downstairs then its always
>Been Arachne.
>I dont know whats happened to Phantazeum, But last time I checked
>Arachne was still a going concern...

Phantazeum is still in existence, on Chapel Street (the more pov end,
not the yuppy end) ... and Phantazeum downstairs was at Peril Underground
at one stage, a year or two ago ... but they fell into problems with the
landlords ... it hasn't always been Arachne ... but other than that, I can't
say I know the location of this mysterious tailor - maybe a description
of her or her clothing may give me more direction, but hmm

~Gerard

snorkel

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
be...@hiro.netizen.com.au (Benno Rice) wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:06:46 GMT, Neef <ne...@vurt.net> wrote:

>>ok..which peril was it?
>>Was it when Peril was on Swanston street? If so I think it was
>>Phantazeum, If it was peril Underground, downstairs then its always
>>Been Arachne.
>>I dont know whats happened to Phantazeum, But last time I checked
>>Arachne was still a going concern...
>

>Phantazeum's moved to Chapel Street. Might be able to hunt up the exact
>address if people are interested. They existed at Peril Underground for a
>while but got pissed off at the-guy-wot-owns-Peril-whose-name-I-can't-recall.

Yesyes! Would be /very/ interested in getting the address, or at
least vague directions...

I needs new clothes.

Janie.

Cosey Mo

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99

Benno Rice wrote in message ...

>On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:06:46 GMT, Neef <ne...@vurt.net> wrote:
>>ok..which peril was it?
>>Was it when Peril was on Swanston street? If so I think it was
>>Phantazeum, If it was peril Underground, downstairs then its always
>>Been Arachne.
>>I dont know whats happened to Phantazeum, But last time I checked
>>Arachne was still a going concern...
>
>Phantazeum's moved to Chapel Street. Might be able to hunt up the exact
>address if people are interested. They existed at Peril Underground for a
>while but got pissed off at
the-guy-wot-owns-Peril-whose-name-I-can't-recall.

Walked past there yesterday morning. It was closed but from what I could see
it was rather raver-dominated in style!

CM
CM
---------------
"Every time I say something they find hard to hear,
they chalk it up to my anger, and never to their own fear."
Ani DiFranco

Benno Rice

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:41:22 GMT, snorkel <fe...@nospam.ains.net.au> wrote:
>be...@hiro.netizen.com.au (Benno Rice) wrote:
>
>>Phantazeum's moved to Chapel Street. Might be able to hunt up the exact
>>address if people are interested. They existed at Peril Underground for a
>>while but got pissed off at the-guy-wot-owns-Peril-whose-name-I-can't-recall.
>
>Yesyes! Would be /very/ interested in getting the address, or at
>least vague directions...
>
>I needs new clothes.

127 Chapel Street, Windsor.

_.-* Vămpire§s*-._

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
Its on Capel Street, in Windsor... not sure of the number but thats where
she is (phantazeum)

Vămpire§s
--
.
(My work sig isnt on here either)

Gerard

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
I'm sure its at 137 Chapel St, not 127, but that really wouldn't
make much difference ... but yes, if you do go, you will notice
that there is quite a lot of colour and raver type material throughout,
I think that Jo's, but maybe Cassandra has some input as well.
In any case, its impressive nonetheless, and there is still a lot of
other great goth stuff in there from other tailors, Tragedy and
Asylum Couture to mention a few brands ...

~G

Morgan Jaffit

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
In article <37C77051...@mindless.com>, miss alexandra wrote:
>snorkel wrote:

>> ne...@vurt.net (Neef) wrote:
>>
>> >ok..which peril was it?
>> >Was it when Peril was on Swanston street? If so I think it was
>> >Phantazeum,
>>
>> <blink> There's a Peril on Swanston Street?
>
>there *was* a peril on swanston street, before the blessed business
>cherubs at slow glass gave peter *one weeks* notice to get out. this was
>years ago... late 96, from memory. this is the story i heard anyway...

I'd say you need to watch who you hear stories from, then.

entrippy (who knows the real story, and no, I'm not telling)