[delurk][long] will the real goth please stand up

n4cat

Mar 25, 2001, 8:58:30 PM3/25/01
Never one not to jump on a bandwagon.
Well actually if there is a bandwagon going past I usually
try and stick something in the spokes and watch it crash
in a cacophony of musicians.
I thought I would delurk myself and make myself open to
ridicule and flaming.
Truth to tell I have no idea what the hell I'm doing on this newsgroup.
I don't go to Goth clubs, nor do I dress in black (much)
I have never heard Bauhaus or Sisters of Mercy (but would like to)
I grew up as a teen in the 80's living in Darwin
Ah Darwin, where the term culture usually has to do with the type of beer
you drink, and subculture is drinking in a basement.
While my peers where listening to Duran Duran I was listening to Elvis
Costelo,
Madness, and Billy Bragg but mostly listening to Gregorian chants, Vivaldi,
Handel etc.
In the late 80's in Adelaide I hung out with blokes with names like 'Herb',
'Mad Mick' and 'Crusher ( I may not be bright but I can lift eavy weights)
McGee (ok. I made that one up, but you get my drift) and listened to Ry
Cooder (sp) and Johnny Lee Hooker.
When friends ran around graveyards being spooky I quietly read the head
stones.
While peers bought Jag clothing I wore flannelette cause it was cheap and
lasted.
ppl would point me out as the strange biker looking dude that listened to
Beethoven.
So now I'm in my early 30's married with 3 kids. OK so I know what a flying
buttress is, I can discuss art and music and wear my facial growth in a
style last popular 100 years ago. I love the Adams family, think style died
in 1899 and never feel more alive than when melancholia blankets my mind
like fog.
but am I Goth? Am I NotaGoth? Am I a Closet Goth? Is there a 12 step
program? Am I welcome? Didn't I stop worrying about this shit when I was a
teenager? What is angst anyway? ;)
Yours in anticipation
n4cat

Barbarella

Mar 25, 2001, 9:17:40 PM3/25/01
n4cat wrote:

> Never one not to jump on a bandwagon.
> Well actually if there is a bandwagon going past I usually
> try and stick something in the spokes and watch it crash
> in a cacophony of musicians.
> I thought I would delurk myself and make myself open to
> ridicule and flaming.

Well, seeing as I appear to have the Welcome (Shaggin') Wagon revving in
the driveway at the moment, I may as well throw another madeira cake at
a newbie and say "Howdy neighbour! Welcome to our nightmare!".

Or something. :)

But hey - don't think you can fool a Barbarella that easily, n4cat! You
delurked at least a week ago! In fact, I'm _fairly_ sure that I've even
replied to one of your posts before this.... sneaky. :)

> Truth to tell I have no idea what the hell I'm doing on this newsgroup.

I sometimes feel like that... It passes...

[snip]

> ppl would point me out as the strange biker looking dude that listened to
> Beethoven.
> So now I'm in my early 30's married with 3 kids. OK so I know what a flying
> buttress is, I can discuss art and music and wear my facial growth in a
> style last popular 100 years ago. I love the Adams family, think style died
> in 1899 and never feel more alive than when melancholia blankets my mind
> like fog.

THAT'S what the hell you're doing on this newsgroup. :)

> but am I Goth? Am I NotaGoth? Am I a Closet Goth? Is there a 12 step
> program? Am I welcome? Didn't I stop worrying about this shit when I was a
> teenager? What is angst anyway? ;)

A German word that comes in very handy. HTH.

Barbarella - so many new people!

--
TheUnfaithfulWriter: http://www.internettrash.com/users/barbarella.
Several hundred miles of snaking tarmac,

TxxxPxx

Mar 25, 2001, 6:08:38 PM3/25/01

"Barbarella" <barba...@internettrash.com> wrote in message

> n4cat wrote:
> >
> > Never one not to jump on a bandwagon.
> > Well actually if there is a bandwagon going past I usually
> > try and stick something in the spokes and watch it crash
> > in a cacophony of musicians.
> > I thought I would delurk myself and make myself open to
> > ridicule and flaming.
>
> Well, seeing as I appear to have the Welcome (Shaggin') Wagon revving in
> the driveway at the moment, I may as well throw another madeira cake at
> a newbie and say "Howdy neighbour! Welcome to our nightmare!".

You? On the Shaggin Wagon? Never...

> Or something. :)
>
> But hey - don't think you can fool a Barbarella that easily, n4cat! You
> delurked at least a week ago! In fact, I'm _fairly_ sure that I've even
> replied to one of your posts before this.... sneaky. :)

You've heard of a premature delurkation? This is a postmature delukation.

> > Truth to tell I have no idea what the hell I'm doing on this newsgroup.
>
> I sometimes feel like that... It passes...

We're kinda like wind that way.

> [snip]
[and again]

> Barbarella - so many new people!

Excellent - now I don't feel like such a newbie. Welcome to you n4cat!

TxxxPop

Sandro

Mar 26, 2001, 8:28:13 PM3/26/01

"n4cat" <n4...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Never one not to jump on a bandwagon.

Jump on or get run over.

>Well actually if there is a bandwagon going past I usually
>try and stick something in the spokes and watch it crash
>in a cacophony of musicians.

The less musoes in the world the better, I say.

>I thought I would delurk myself and make myself open to
>ridicule and flaming.

Noted. That's two in two days. Where do you get off... :)

>Truth to tell I have no idea what the hell I'm doing on this
>newsgroup.

Neither do we. You tell us.

>I don't go to Goth clubs, nor do I dress in black (much)
>I have never heard Bauhaus or Sisters of Mercy (but would like
>to)

It's not obligatory. Those are just the trappings of the
subculture. It's far broader than many people give it credit for.

>I grew up as a teen in the 80's living in Darwin.

I hope the therapy is goes well.

>Ah Darwin, where the term culture usually has to do with the
>type of beer you drink, and subculture is drinking in a
>basement.

You're a funny one, I'll have to keep my eye on you.

>While my peers where listening to Duran Duran I was listening
>to Elvis Costelo, Madness, and Billy Bragg but mostly listening
>to Gregorian chants, Vivaldi, Handel etc.

So Darwin had TWO radio stations?

>In the late 80's in Adelaide I hung out with blokes with names
>like 'Herb', 'Mad Mick' and 'Crusher ( I may not be bright but

>I can lift heavy weights) McGee (ok. I made that one up, but
>you get my drift) and listened to Ry Cooder (sp) and John Lee
>Hooker.

>When friends ran around graveyards being spooky I quietly read
>the head stones.

Oh so you're better than us are you, all hoity toity and
superior, just because you read names instead of flounced about
making "ooooaaehh" sounds at the local necropolis? Feh.

>While peers bought Jag clothing I wore flannelette cause it was
>cheap and lasted.

That's the excuse I used for two years. Except I stole it all
from my poor daddy, who was proto-grunge before his time.

>ppl would point me out as the strange biker looking dude that
>listened to Beethoven.

It might have been the fact that you had your todger hanging out
of the pantaloons:

"See that strange biker looking dude over there that looks like
he listens to Beethoven?"
"No."
"Just over there. See him?"
"You mean the one with his chopper hang out of his keks?"
"That's the one."
"Oh yeah. What about him?"
"Nothing. There's just something strange about him, can't put my
finger on it."

>So now I'm in my early 30's married with 3 kids. OK so I know
>what a flying buttress is

Same to you, buddy, you can take a flying buttress yourself, I've
never been so insulted in all my last five minutes.

>I can discuss art and music

"It was really, really good."

>and wear my facial growth in a style last popular 100 years

>ago. I love the Addams family,

I hate the Addams family. One of their offspring, Brother Addams
made my life absolute hell for two years at my junior high
school, so I'm not a fan of any of their progeny.

>think style died in 1899

it's just napping

>and never feel more alive than when melancholia blankets my mind
>like fog

masochist

>but am I Goth?

No one knows but you. "Being" a goth is irrelevant, surprisingly
even here. If you're attracted to particular aesthetics, then all
well and good.

<pretentious voice>
But if you hear the call of the Dark, then you must stay. Stay
a while. Stay FOREVER.
*diabolical laugh*
</pretentious voice>

>Am I NotaGoth?

Maybe.

>Am I a Closet Goth?

A real goth wouldn't be able to stay in their closet because they
wouldn't have enough room due to all the crap clothing therein.

>Is there a 12 step program? Am I welcome?

Of course you are welcome. What you contribute is of great
importance. This is a meritocracy after all.

>Didn't I stop worrying about this shit when I was a teenager?

Don't be shy. We don't bite unless we're really thirsty.

>What is angst anyway? ;)

Whatever it is, a good course of antibiotics should clear it up
in no time.

>Yours in anticipation

And I, too, am trembling in anticipation of your next
contribution.

>n4cat

Sandro

--
"I am so fucking embarrassed" - Marge Simpson

Trayce

Mar 26, 2001, 9:29:26 PM3/26/01
On 27 Mar 2001 11:28:13 +1000, "Sandro" <cein...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>"See that strange biker looking dude over there that looks like
>he listens to Beethoven?"
>"No."
>"Just over there. See him?"
>"You mean the one with his chopper hang out of his keks?"
>"That's the one."
>"Oh yeah. What about him?"
>"Nothing. There's just something strange about him, can't put my
>finger on it."

Well I should hope you wouldnt put your finger on it, that kind of
thing is illegal, you know ;)

Trayce (what???)

--
faith in chaos
trace @ connect.net.au

Mr Q. Z. Diablo

Mar 26, 2001, 9:53:43 PM3/26/01
In article <3abfecad$1...@nexus.comcen.com.au>, "Sandro"
<cein...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> The less musoes in the world the better, I say.

Erm, what is your delightful phrase, Sandro? "Fuck you very much", I
think it goes.

Without musos, there would be no music and without music, IMHO, there
wouldn't be much to live for [1].

Mr Q. Z. D.

[1] - Mind you, I could very well live without the badly-programmed rave and trance music with guitars pasted over the top that seems to pass for "industrial" these days. Sheesh.
----
Drinker, systems administrator, wannabe writer, musician and all-round bastard.
"Alright brain, I don't like you and you don't like me... so let's just do this
and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

Sandro

Mar 26, 2001, 10:27:22 PM3/26/01

"Mr Q. Z. Diablo" <dia...@prometheus.humsoc.utas.edu.au> wrote:
>In article <3abfecad$1...@nexus.comcen.com.au>, "Sandro"
><cein...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>>The less musoes in the world the better, I say.

>Erm, what is your delightful phrase, Sandro? "Fuck you very
>much", I think it goes.

That would be it.

>Without musos, there would be no music and without music, IMHO,
>there wouldn't be much to live for [1].

I didn't say "drop the bomb, exterminate all the brutes" and kill
ALL the musos. A regular "thinning of the herd" wouldn't be a
terrible thing. Imagine how much harder all the applicants would
apply themselves to their singing, musicianship etc. on those
Popstars shows if they knew that failure meant two bullets to
the back of their empty heads. Eh?

>Mr Q. Z. D.

>[1] - Mind you, I could very well live without the badly-
>programmed rave and trance music with guitars pasted over the
>top that seems to pass for "industrial" these days. Sheesh.

Thems the ones I meant. But don't think we'll ignore the
Taswegian contingent, oh no, we haven't forgotten you lot, unlike
the rest of humanity, progress and personal hygeine, we haven't
forgotten you people at all. No.

Sandro

--
"You have a morbid aversion to dying. You probably resent the
fact that you're at war and you might get your head blown off any

Mr Q. Z. Diablo

Mar 27, 2001, 12:31:30 AM3/27/01
In article <3ac0089a$1...@nexus.comcen.com.au>, "Sandro"
<cein...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> "Mr Q. Z. Diablo" <dia...@prometheus.humsoc.utas.edu.au> wrote:
> >In article <3abfecad$1...@nexus.comcen.com.au>, "Sandro"
> ><cein...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> >>The less musoes in the world the better, I say.
>
> >Erm, what is your delightful phrase, Sandro? "Fuck you very
> >much", I think it goes.
>
> That would be it.

Good. Wouldn't want to think that I was misquoting anyone.

> >Without musos, there would be no music and without music, IMHO,
> >there wouldn't be much to live for [1].
>
> I didn't say "drop the bomb, exterminate all the brutes" and kill
> ALL the musos. A regular "thinning of the herd" wouldn't be a
> terrible thing.

Don't blame the musos. Blame the marketers, A&R men and record company
execs. You don't imagine for a moment that musos sought to inflict
Bardot, Britney and Christina on an unsuspecting public. Even the
producers are only guilty of trying to feed themselves by attempting to
write and execute popular songs that appeal to the LCD.

> Imagine how much harder all the applicants would
> apply themselves to their singing, musicianship etc. on those
> Popstars shows if they knew that failure meant two bullets to
> the back of their empty heads. Eh?

Imagine what would happen to the quality of recorded music if we simply
shot all the marketers, A&R men and record company execs.

> >[1] - Mind you, I could very well live without the badly-
> >programmed rave and trance music with guitars pasted over the
> >top that seems to pass for "industrial" these days. Sheesh.
>
> Thems the ones I meant.

Refreshing in small doses but even the goths seem to clear the floor
when they are played. This is in stark contrast to an 80s classic being
trotted out. Ritual was an experience for me - 60% of the music was
absolute garbage and the crowd seemed to know it. Why play it, then?

My rant on music will occur when I'm not struggling with building
strange contraptions so that I can talk to inanimate objects.

> But don't think we'll ignore the
> Taswegian contingent, oh no, we haven't forgotten you lot, unlike
> the rest of humanity, progress and personal hygeine,

I had a shower no less than 3 months ago, thank you kindly.

> we haven't
> forgotten you people at all. No.

We don't forget a slight on our character(s), either. Count on it,
Sandro, you'll be the first agains the wall when the revolution comes.

Mr Q. Z. D., NotaRealGoth.