Domain Name Renewals

terryc

May 2, 2008, 5:44:34 PM5/2/08
Any Recommendations?

Krusty

May 2, 2008, 5:54:48 PM5/2/08

"terryc" <newssixs...@woa.com.au> wrote in message
news:pan.2008.05.02....@woa.com.au...
> Any Recommendations?

http://www.mydomain.com/

Used them for several years (with several domains) excellent. Cheap,
reliable & mail re-routing included.

Rod Speed

May 2, 2008, 7:32:39 PM5/2/08
terryc <newssixs...@woa.com.au> wrote:

> Any Recommendations?

I use godaddy.

The spam is a bit of a nuisance tho.

Fred

May 2, 2008, 7:48:17 PM5/2/08

> On Sat, 03 May 2008 07:44:34 +1000, terryc wrote:
> Forgot to mention that is was a .com.au
>
>> Any Recommendations?

I've been using http://www.namescout.com.au/ for a few years. They used to
be the cheapest (currently $45.95 for two years and note that they don't
charge GST as they are overseas). Their service has been trouble free with
no problems managing my domains.
I did notice recently when I registered a new domain that their are a few
cheaper .auDA Accredited Registrars as shown by the Domain Name Price
Comparison site.
http://whatsinaname.com.au/
I elected to go with NameScout again for the new domain as it's convenient
to manage my domains at the one site.

Don McKenzie

May 2, 2008, 10:40:06 PM5/2/08
terryc wrote:
> Any Recommendations?

oz domains
http://www.intaserve.com/
$27.95AUD for 2 years.

US domains, any number at under $9USD

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Intelligent 2.83" AMOLED with touch screen for micros:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16699

Phred

May 3, 2008, 6:04:50 AM5/3/08
In article <681ni2F...@mid.individual.net>, "Fred" <blu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"terryc" <newssixs...@woa.com.au> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 03 May 2008 07:44:34 +1000, terryc wrote:
>> Forgot to mention that is was a .com.au
>>
>>> Any Recommendations?
>
>I've been using http://www.namescout.com.au/ for a few years. They used to
>be the cheapest (currently $45.95 for two years and note that they don't
>charge GST as they are overseas). Their service has been trouble free with
>no problems managing my domains.
>I did notice recently when I registered a new domain that their are a few
>cheaper .auDA Accredited Registrars as shown by the Domain Name Price
>Comparison site.
>http://whatsinaname.com.au/

That site hasn't been updated since July 2006; but, disregarding that,
is there any rational explanation for the huge range of prices
charged by the retail registrars? (And the resellers come to that, but
it's not so extreme in that case.)

>I elected to go with NameScout again for the new domain as it's convenient
>to manage my domains at the one site.

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerk...@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

terryc

May 2, 2008, 6:11:58 PM5/2/08

Fred

May 4, 2008, 5:14:40 AM5/4/08
Phred wrote:
> In article <681ni2F...@mid.individual.net>, "Fred"
> <blu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> "terryc" <newssixs...@woa.com.au> wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 03 May 2008 07:44:34 +1000, terryc wrote:
>>> Forgot to mention that is was a .com.au

>> I've been using http://www.namescout.com.au/ for a few years. They
>> used to be the cheapest (currently $45.95 for two years and note
>> that they don't charge GST as they are overseas). Their service has
>> been trouble free with no problems managing my domains.
>> I did notice recently when I registered a new domain that their are
>> a few cheaper .auDA Accredited Registrars as shown by the Domain
>> Name Price Comparison site.
>> http://whatsinaname.com.au/
>
> That site hasn't been updated since July 2006;

True there are a 2 or 3 registrants missing but the price of those listed
seem to be accurate

> but, disregarding that,
> is there any rational explanation for the huge range of prices
> charged by the retail registrars? (And the resellers come to that, but
> it's not so extreme in that case.)

I don't know. I do remember that when I first registered an au domain,
Melbourne IT held a monopoly and they were quite strict with their
requirements.
Back in 2001 they charged $140.00 for two years the same amount that they
charge now.
Perhaps they rely on people renewing and not bothering to change registrars
because they don't know you can get it cheaper. Or maybe the $100 difference
over two years seems inconsequential relative to other expenditures.
Some history about MelbourneIT at the Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_IT
As far as the other companies go I have no idea if by paying more you get
better value for money. All I know is that the company I use has been easy
to deal with and reliable.

Phred

May 4, 2008, 9:49:52 AM5/4/08

I seem to recall that a decade or two ago a bloke called Robert(?) Elz
was *the* Mr Internet in Oz (largely just AARNET originally). (I
always seemed to get him confused in my mind with "Rev Doc" Phil
Herring for some reason.) Elz later handed things over to Melbourne
IT -- he may have had a gun at his head at the time though. :-)

>As far as the other companies go I have no idea if by paying more you get
>better value for money. All I know is that the company I use has been easy
>to deal with and reliable.

What do you get from them other than just domain name rego?
(I'm a novice in this stuff, but a paranoid mate has been hinting to
me to organise a web site for his large database of stuff -- the
bugger is so paranoid about malware damaging his system that he
refuses to connect his own gear!)

>>> I elected to go with NameScout again for the new domain as it's
>>> convenient to manage my domains at the one site.

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerk...@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

David

May 4, 2008, 6:23:04 PM5/4/08
In article <pan.2008.05.02....@woa.com.au>,
terryc <newssixs...@woa.com.au> wrote:

> Any Recommendations?

Jumba seem to do a good job - $20 for two years

David