Odd behaviour UPLOAD

Addinall

Jan 21, 2012, 1:05:33 AM1/21/12
I have never seen this problem before.

Just installed Ubuntu 11.10 on a Toshiba laptop. 4 core CPU,
6 MB DRAM, 500MB disk, all empty and vanilla.

Tied into the network via a Belkin wireless router, then into
the net.

Downloads work fine, I am having unusual problems with uploads
under certain circumstances.

ftp() works just fine.
posting to Google groups is fine.
email is OK.
general web surfing is OK.
mail works....

uploading stuff via selected forms, like uploading a Word document
onto SEEK, uploading a file using CPANEL, responding through a form
like The Australian blogs ALWAYS times out.

This has me a little stumped. Anyone else seen this behaviour on any
*NIX
machines?

I thought it might be iptables screwing around.... Can't see it.

Cheers,
Mark.

atec77

Jan 21, 2012, 4:18:56 AM1/21/12
MTU ?

Addinall

Jan 21, 2012, 4:29:12 AM1/21/12
Ta. I'll look. Can't see it as being other than vanilla, although my
confidence in Ubuntu is getting thinner and thinner with each
release.

I might try and losing the wireless router and just plug in direct.

Never been a problem before under various *NIXs, same router...

Dunno.

Nothing in the logs either.

But thanks,
Mark.

atec77

Jan 21, 2012, 5:38:20 AM1/21/12
I had a similar in mephis , set mtu to 1492 and better , fiddled more
and fixed , common winblows problem

Ned Latham

Feb 19, 2012, 11:43:04 AM2/19/12

----snip----

> > > Downloads work fine, I am having unusual problems with uploads
> > > under certain circumstances.
> > >
> > > ftp() works just fine.
> > > posting to Google groups is fine.
> > > email is OK.
> > > general web surfing is OK.
> > > mail works....
> > >
> > > uploading stuff via selected forms, like uploading a Word document
> > > onto SEEK, uploading a file using CPANEL, responding through a form
> > > like The Australian blogs ALWAYS times out.
> > >
> > > This has me a little stumped.Anyone else seen this behaviour on
> > > any *NIX machines?
> > >
> > > I thought it might be iptables screwing around.... Can't see it.

G'day, Muck.

Sometimes we overlook the obvious. Have you looked in /var/log/syslog?

> > > Cheers,
> > > Mark.
> >
> > MTU ?
>
> Ta. I'll look. Can't see it as being other than vanilla, although
> my confidence in Ubuntu is getting thinner and thinner with each
> release.

Dunno why you'd have confidence in it anyway. I know it comes with
good drivers, but in other areas it sucks.

My Toshiba Satellite (now a couple of years old) is running Vista
and Slackware 13.37. Had to rescue winblows last year (thank fuck
for Linux). No problems at all with Slack, though I don't use SEEK
or CPANEL or blogs or chat ...

It doesn't compare with your situation, but why not give Slack a go?
(Well, okay, in due course). You'd have to get under the hood a bit,
but one of Slack's virtues is that it's the most Unix-like of the
Linuces (well that's its rep. anyway), which should suit you down
to the ground.

> I might try and losing the wireless router and just plug in direct.

Speaking of wireless, I'm looking at getting a mobile 'phone. So far
the best buy looks to me to be the Samsung Galaxy S 2. What's your
take on the current crop?

Ciao,

Ned

Zebee Johnstone

Feb 19, 2012, 2:36:42 PM2/19/12
In aus.computers.linux on Sat, 21 Jan 2012 01:29:12 -0800 (PST)
Addinall <addi...@addinall.net> wrote:
> I might try and losing the wireless router and just plug in direct.

If uploads are timing out I suspect iptables myself.

When things like this happen, turn off the firewall and see if they
still do.

Zebee

addinall

Feb 29, 2012, 11:18:53 PM2/29/12
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:43:04 -0600, Ned Latham wrote:

> Addinall wrote:
>> atec77 wrote:
>> > Addinall wrote:
>
> ----snip----

> G'day, Muck.

Heya Noddy.

> Sometimes we overlook the obvious. Have you looked in /var/log/syslog?

Nothing in /val/log/messages

syslog doesn't exist anymore.

I scrapped Ubuntu and went back to RedHat (Fedora 16).

>> > MTU ?
>>
>> Ta. I'll look. Can't see it as being other than vanilla, although my
>> confidence in Ubuntu is getting thinner and thinner with each release.
>
> Dunno why you'd have confidence in it anyway. I know it comes with good
> drivers, but in other areas it sucks.

The latest 11.10 sure does suck. BEGONE!

> My Toshiba Satellite (now a couple of years old) is running Vista and
> Slackware 13.37. Had to rescue winblows last year (thank fuck for
> Linux). No problems at all with Slack, though I don't use SEEK or CPANEL
> or blogs or chat ...

I don't use chat. BLOGs only when yelling at someone in the Australian.
CPANEL is quite important. All of my clients use CPANEL on their hosted
machines. I don't want to run a data center, and CPANEL is an effective
way of managing their boxes, and allows them to do some self management,
mail accounts etc. So the file upload from the file manager is important.

> It doesn't compare with your situation, but why not give Slack a go?
> (Well, okay, in due course). You'd have to get under the hood a bit, but
> one of Slack's virtues is that it's the most Unix-like of the Linuces
> (well that's its rep. anyway), which should suit you down to the ground.

Slack was my fir linux. Loved it. Used to be BSDish through and
through! So falling of SCO into slack was easier than the move to Solaris
(when it gave up BSD and went AT&T).

>> I might try and losing the wireless router and just plug in direct.

Works direct. The Belkin Wireless router doesn't want to play the game
on uploads. Swapped the router, no probs. Here in South Bank we have
just been upgraded to 30/2 FTTH so the upward handshaking might have some
issues with the NAT on my wireless router.

> Speaking of wireless, I'm looking at getting a mobile 'phone. So far the
> best buy looks to me to be the Samsung Galaxy S 2. What's your take on
> the current crop?

Samsung looks OK to me. Although I am a very small user of the
technology on 'smart' phones. I find all the IOS and Android frappery
gets in the way of saying 'Ullo'. I bought an LG by Google coz it was
cheap and seemed to do the same amount of rubbish all the rest do.

Tried a bit of Android development. That sucks big time. Pretend
fucking Java.

Hope you are well Noddy, keep the shiny side up! ;-)

Mark.

> Ciao,
>
> Ned

addinall

Feb 29, 2012, 11:20:24 PM2/29/12
Killed Ubuntu and swapped out the Belkin for a DLink.

Dunno. But thanks.
Mark.

addinall

Feb 29, 2012, 11:21:21 PM2/29/12
Did all of that! Disabled iptables completely. No show.

But thanks.

Mark.

> Zebee

Archer

Jul 7, 2012, 12:57:13 AM7/7/12
Addinall wrote:
> Ned Latham wrote:
> > Addinall wrote:
> >
> > ----snip----

> > G'day, Muck.
>
> Heya Noddy.
>
> > Sometimes we overlook the obvious. Have you looked in /var/log/syslog?
>
> Nothing in /val/log/messages
>
> syslog doesn't exist anymore.

Is that an Ubuntu thing?

> I scrapped Ubuntu and went back to RedHat (Fedora 16).

This might seem a bit silly, but if the problem is limited to forms
uploads, it might be a browser problem. Did it emerge after an upgrade
or config change?

----snip----

> > > Ta. I'll look. Can't see it as being other than vanilla, although my
> > > confidence in Ubuntu is getting thinner and thinner with each release.
> >
> > Dunno why you'd have confidence in it anyway. I know it comes with good
> > drivers, but in other areas it sucks.
>
> The latest 11.10 sure does suck. BEGONE!

LOL. Why on earth did you change away from Slack?

> > My Toshiba Satellite (now a couple of years old) is running Vista and
> > Slackware 13.37. Had to rescue winblows last year (thank fuck for
> > Linux). No problems at all with Slack, though I don't use SEEK or CPANEL
> > or blogs or chat ...
>
> I don't use chat. BLOGs only when yelling at someone in the Australian.
> CPANEL is quite important. All of my clients use CPANEL on their hosted
> machines.

Ah. I don't have the problem of business clients. Just a personal website
hosted by my ISP. Thinking about going to static IP and hosting it myself.

> I don't want to run a data center, and CPANEL is an effective
> way of managing their boxes, and allows them to do some self management,
> mail accounts etc. So the file upload from the file manager is important.

I looked CPANEL up. The conditions for installation and (especially) removal
look a bit intimidating, and I get the feeling that administration of both
it and the machines running it might be a bit tricky. But then, if it does
the job ...

It's been a while; have you fixed the problem?

(Bit weird: I retired four years ago, and since then I've been so busy I
don't know which way is up.)

> > It doesn't compare with your situation, but why not give Slack a go?
> > (Well, okay, in due course). You'd have to get under the hood a bit, but
> > one of Slack's virtues is that it's the most Unix-like of the Linuces
> > (well that's its rep. anyway), which should suit you down to the ground.
>
> Slack was my first linux. Loved it. Used to be BSDish through and
> through! So falling of SCO into slack was easier than the move to Solaris
> (when it gave up BSD and went AT&T).

Red Hat 5.2 was my first. Didn't like it, but stayed with it for a while
because I couldn't get anything else to work. Eventually bit the bullet
and tried the fearsomely-reputed Slackware. Worked a treat. Its reputation
as a geeks-only system seems to me undeserved. Now have 13.37 on all my
computers (including the winblows boxes, for rescue purposes).

----snip----

> > Speaking of wireless, I'm looking at getting a mobile 'phone. So far the
> > best buy looks to me to be the Samsung Galaxy S 2. What's your take on
> > the current crop?
>
> Samsung looks OK to me. Although I am a very small user of the
> technology on 'smart' phones. I find all the IOS and Android frappery
> gets in the way of saying 'Ullo'. I bought an LG by Google coz it was
> cheap and seemed to do the same amount of rubbish all the rest do.

Ended up getting the Samsung. It's a very expensive mp3 player (well, okay,
video and FM radio as well). Hooked up with Vodaphone a month or so ago and
found that it has other capabilities too. So far all I've done is software
upgrades, including to Android 4.0.3, and install an RPN calculator.

Oh, and set up and synchronise a gmail account. I'm up to my eyeballs in
PINs and passwords now.

> Tried a bit of Android development. That sucks big time. Pretend
> fucking Java.

I intend to get into that, but I haven't even rooted it yet. Don't mind
Java (even pretend Java): very easy to work with. One thing I'll be
wanting to do is fiddle with its IP.

Um. Another thing. Can you believe this? It doesn't know its own fucking
number!!! Can't read the SIM, or something. Wanna fix that.

> Hope you are well Noddy, keep the shiny side up! ;-)

Stayin' alive, mate. You too, ay?

Cheers,

Ned