GT40 on ebay

Dan---

Mar 24, 2007, 12:58:28 AM3/24/07

atec 77

Mar 24, 2007, 1:25:10 AM3/24/07

Fraser Johnston

Mar 24, 2007, 2:57:04 AM3/24/07

"Dan---" <nos...@lsx-tuning.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2007.03.24....@lsx-tuning.com...

Want.

Fraser

Noddy

Mar 24, 2007, 3:35:04 AM3/24/07

"Fraser Johnston" <fra...@jcis.com.au> wrote in message
news:56k0hgF...@mid.individual.net...

> Want.

You're first behind me :)

Looks like it'd be a good project for the money.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

James

Mar 24, 2007, 5:45:06 AM3/24/07

"Dan---" <nos...@lsx-tuning.com> wrote in message

I recall a nice engine for that project....As a kid I used to love the sound
of the thing being revved up, or should I say the feel of it, bolted to two
big redgum bearers sitting on the concrete floor the earth literally moved.

Does the name Gurney Eagle mean anything to anyone?

Damn I wish the old man didn't sell that thing, and I'm jealous of the guy
that has it now.

James

Noddy

Mar 24, 2007, 6:56:58 AM3/24/07

"James" <dota...@tpigglet.com.au> wrote in message

> Does the name Gurney Eagle mean anything to anyone?

It does indeed.

> Damn I wish the old man didn't sell that thing, and I'm jealous of the guy
> that has it now.

What did he have?

Anything of that nature would be pretty rare in this part of the world.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

James

Mar 24, 2007, 7:33:11 AM3/24/07

"Noddy" <dg4163@(nospam)dodo.com.au> wrote in message

302 Windsor Gurney Eagle, Look for pics on the web of the GT40 MK1 LeMans
engine....good luck finding one though, I just had a quick look and came up
with bugger all. If you see a pic of a windsor with big velocity stacks,
spaghetti exhaust headers and Black alloy rocker covers with GURNEY EAGLE
cast into them...then thats one of them.

My old man sold it about 16 years ago for $15k and it was seen in the
trading post the next week for $25k. The guy that purchased it was going to
use it in a project car apparently. Guess you cant trust everyone 'eh?

My uncle had it in a hydroplane, but was killed in a circuit racing accident
in the early '80s. It was tuned by a renowned Melbourne engine builder and
was dyno'd in excess of 700 horses.

Even if only a replica, how sweet it would be to go back into something that
deserves it.

I did manage to find one online on a forum in the US, stating that one was
sold in Geelong on Ebay for $24k in a non running condition, presumably just
for the heads, and the history.

Rare in this part of the world....absolutely!

James

Noddy

Mar 24, 2007, 9:11:29 AM3/24/07

> 302 Windsor Gurney Eagle, Look for pics on the web of the GT40 MK1
> LeMans engine....good luck finding one though, I just had a quick look and
> came up with bugger all. If you see a pic of a windsor with big velocity
> stacks, spaghetti exhaust headers and Black alloy rocker covers with
> GURNEY EAGLE cast into them...then thats one of them.

I've seen one up close.

They ran what was called a "Tunnel port" head, which was basically a special
casting made for uber high horsepower Windsors to run Trans Am racing in the
US. The heads were basically a scaled down version of the larger FE series
big block head, and had huge round "tunnel" inlet ports that had the
pushrods running right through the middle of them.

Oddball looking thing that never worked well.

> My old man sold it about 16 years ago for $15k and it was seen in the
> trading post the next week for $25k. The guy that purchased it was going
> to use it in a project car apparently. Guess you cant trust everyone 'eh?

I've had that happen to me a few times, but who gives.

As long as I get what *I* want, the new owner is free to do as they like.

> My uncle had it in a hydroplane, but was killed in a circuit racing
> accident in the early '80s. It was tuned by a renowned Melbourne engine
> builder and was dyno'd in excess of 700 horses.

From a 302 Windsor?

No chance in hell, even if it was a Gurney Eagle engine. The only way you
can get those sort of neddies out of a 302 Windsor would be boost.

> Even if only a replica, how sweet it would be to go back into something
> that deserves it.

It would, but if it were my choice I'd much rather build a replica Boss 302
than a replica "anything else" 302, as the boss was simply the best engine
of the bunch by a mile. Same capacity & block as the tunnel port Gurney
Eagle, but a much better crank & rods and the 4V Cleveland heads flowed
*shitloads* more air and were worth an extra 50 horsepower all else being
equal.

The reason why Ford ditched the 302 Windsor and went to the big block 427 in
the GT40 is that they couldn't get the little windsor to make more than
around 420hp or so and stay together for very long. They had to rev the ring
out of the thing to crack 400hp, and at those revs (8000 odd) the things had
a very short life indeed.

The 427 would make 600 all day without being stressed at all, and that's
what made the GT40 such a successful race car.

What would have been *really* interesting would be to see what a Boss 302
would have been like in the GT40, but sadly the engine wasn't available
until 1969 after the GT40 had it's day in the sun. In Trans Am trim, the
things were "factory limited" to 9000rpm, and make close to 500hp with a set
of quad autolite carbs.

That's 75 more than a dual 4 barrel 426 Hemi :)

> I did manage to find one online on a forum in the US, stating that one was
> sold in Geelong on Ebay for $24k in a non running condition, presumably
> just for the heads, and the history.
>
> Rare in this part of the world....absolutely!

Indeed.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Fraser Johnston

Mar 24, 2007, 11:53:42 AM3/24/07

> "Fraser Johnston" <fra...@jcis.com.au> wrote in message
>
>> Want.
>
> You're first behind me :)
>
> Looks like it'd be a good project for the money.

It's closer to you by about 3000 ks but you already have one project car
clogging up your garage. : )

Fraser

James

Mar 24, 2007, 7:25:04 PM3/24/07

"Noddy" <dg4163@(nospam)dodo.com.au> wrote in message

Only repeating what I heard...bear in mind it was in a boat not a car.
Relability, durability and drivability are not a huge factor, no
restrictions on fuel used either. In a hydroplane they are running flatout
for a few races only a few minutes long, with plenty of time to rebuild
afterwards. Extreme compression ratios, radical cams and big reductions in
reciprocating masses are not a concern. Sure putting the engine as it was in
a car would be undrivable, if not for the lack of low down torque, then for
the amount of Avgas you would have to cart around with you, being dumped
into the thing through the primative injection system.

Noddy

Mar 24, 2007, 8:21:56 PM3/24/07

> It's closer to you by about 3000 ks but you already have one project car
> clogging up your garage. : )

One of mine, and two and a half of other people's. Can't fucking move at the
moment :)

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Noddy

Mar 24, 2007, 8:29:47 PM3/24/07

> Only repeating what I heard...bear in mind it was in a boat not a car.

Yeah, no problems, and I wan't having a go. Just that 700 horses from a 302
Windsor is an incredibly big ask.

> Relability, durability and drivability are not a huge factor, no
> restrictions on fuel used either. In a hydroplane they are running flatout
> for a few races only a few minutes long, with plenty of time to rebuild
> afterwards. Extreme compression ratios, radical cams and big reductions in
> reciprocating masses are not a concern. Sure putting the engine as it was
> in a car would be undrivable, if not for the lack of low down torque, then
> for the amount of Avgas you would have to cart around with you, being
> dumped into the thing through the primative injection system.

Indeed.

I was going to say that about the only way that you'd get close to that
would be with an old mechanical injector that was throwing methanol in by
the bucketload, but even then getting close to 2 and a half hp per cubic
inch is a big ask. Not impossible mind you, but you'd be living *way* out on
the ragged fringes and would need a pretty impressive stock of spare parts
on call :)

--
Regards,
Noddy.

James

Mar 24, 2007, 10:44:51 PM3/24/07

"Noddy" <dg4163@(nospam)dodo.com.au> wrote in message

Yep....and a spare engine that went everywhere the boat went....it was
powering the tow car, an XY ute. I dont know if it was ever used, but I dont
imagine it would be a quick process to change the heads, manifolds, injector
pump, cam, dry sump setup, marinised bits, & magneto, and actually setup the
whole thing to any sort of tolerences. Even at best it would only be a
compromise.

James

> --
> Regards,
> Noddy.

Fraser Johnston

Mar 25, 2007, 1:20:27 AM3/25/07

"Noddy" <dg4163@(nospam)dodo.com.au> wrote in message

So what you are saying is that I should buy it? ; )

Fraser

Noddy

Mar 25, 2007, 5:18:00 AM3/25/07

> So what you are saying is that I should buy it? ; )

You know you want to :)

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Daryl Walford

Mar 25, 2007, 5:27:40 AM3/25/07
Noddy wrote:
> "Fraser Johnston" <fra...@jcis.com.au> wrote in message
>
>> So what you are saying is that I should buy it? ; )
>
> You know you want to :)

I'd love to own a car like that but at the moment its more than I could
afford for a toy.
At least I've made some progress with SWMBO, I was going to built a
storage shed in the back yard and she suggested building it big enough
to store a car in because one day I might get a toy:-)

Daryl

Noddy

Mar 25, 2007, 5:56:35 AM3/25/07

"Daryl Walford" <us...@example.net> wrote in message

> I'd love to own a car like that but at the moment its more than I could
> afford for a toy.
> At least I've made some progress with SWMBO, I was going to built a
> storage shed in the back yard and she suggested building it big enough to
> store a car in because one day I might get a toy:-)

And in the distance I can hear thousands of men cheer like a winning goal
has just been kicked ten seconds before the final siren at a grand final :)

--
Regards,
Noddy.

atec 77

Mar 25, 2007, 7:01:42 AM3/25/07
swmbo ?
well bitch what ?
did you show here the parrot ?
first time I played it mates wife was looking over my shoulder , she
hit me :)

--
http:/www.danasoft.com/sig/Bz1a.jpg

Fraser Johnston

Mar 25, 2007, 8:32:31 AM3/25/07

> "Fraser Johnston" <fra...@jcis.com.au> wrote in message
>
>> So what you are saying is that I should buy it? ; )
>
> You know you want to :)

Unfortunately just bought a bike filling my toy quota for this year.

Fraser

Atheist Chaplain

Mar 25, 2007, 9:13:51 AM3/25/07
"Noddy" <dg4163@(nospam)dodo.com.au> wrote in message

Damn I wish I had the spare reddies :-(
I can just imagine it in white with 2 blue stripes running up the centre :-)

Don Hirschberg

Noddy

Mar 25, 2007, 9:46:03 AM3/25/07

"Atheist Chaplain" <rea...@home.net> wrote in message

> Damn I wish I had the spare reddies :-(
> I can just imagine it in white with 2 blue stripes running up the centre
> :-)

Orange & blue "Gulf" for me thanks :)

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Noddy

Mar 25, 2007, 9:45:09 AM3/25/07

> Unfortunately just bought a bike filling my toy quota for this year.

Don't tell me it's got foot operated pedals, or I'm coming over there to
slap the shit out of you :)

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Oz

Mar 25, 2007, 10:08:34 AM3/25/07

"Noddy" <dg4163@(nospam)dodo.com.au> wrote in message

Had a friend who ran a Cobra at Bathurst many years ago, it was Blue with
the White Stripes, the reverse of the Moffat cars.
It looked sweet sitting on the Dyno when he was tuning it.

He left town when he split with his wife, I wonder what ever happened to him
?

Oz

Fraser Johnston

Mar 25, 2007, 11:54:14 PM3/25/07

"Noddy" <dg4163@(nospam)dodo.com.au> wrote in message

Nah motorbike. Honda VTR250. On my L plates now and should have my licence in
May. Then a year and I can get a Hayabusa. : )

Fraser

Fraser Johnston

Mar 25, 2007, 11:54:47 PM3/25/07

"Noddy" <dg4163@(nospam)dodo.com.au> wrote in message

Stop reading my mind. I am shocked that anyone paints them in anything other
than the Gulf warpaint.

Fraser

Fraser Johnston

Mar 25, 2007, 11:55:34 PM3/25/07

"Oz" <o...@ozz.com> wrote in message news:130d0j4...@corp.supernews.com...

> Had a friend who ran a Cobra at Bathurst many years ago, it was Blue with the
> White Stripes, the reverse of the Moffat cars.
> It looked sweet sitting on the Dyno when he was tuning it.
>
> He left town when he split with his wife, I wonder what ever happened to him
> ?

Unless he remarried there is a good chance he lived happily ever after.

Fraser

Oz

Mar 26, 2007, 10:02:34 AM3/26/07

"Fraser Johnston" <fra...@jcis.com.au> wrote in message