Rolling Guards?

Nathan

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
Hi All,

A while back someone posted enquiring about a reputable place to go (in
Perth) to get your guards rolled. I'm wondering the same thing myself.
I've been told all you need is a fairly large piece of pipe - and to be
careful so as to not crease the whole panel!!

The reason I'm asking - Whenever I put some weight in the back of the
car (say - a passenger or two) the rear tyres can sometimes hit the
guards. I'm heading down to Bunbury on the weekend (200 km trip on some
reasonably undulating roads) I'm going to have a fair bit of weight in
the car and I'd like my tyres to survive the trip..

Thanks,

Nathan...

Dion Mikkelsen

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:19:35 +0800, Nathan <nat...@cadedit.com.au>
wrote, after nibbling Nobby's nuts for some time:

>The reason I'm asking - Whenever I put some weight in the back of the
>car (say - a passenger or two) the rear tyres can sometimes hit the
>guards. I'm heading down to Bunbury on the weekend (200 km trip on some
>reasonably undulating roads) I'm going to have a fair bit of weight in
>the car and I'd like my tyres to survive the trip..

Wouldn't a more suitable suspension be the better solution ?

--
Dion! -=DUH#12=- (Y1)
"If you chip your newsreader, you'll get a 10% increase in flaming."

Mangey

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
Nathan wrote in message <383A4006...@cadedit.com.au>...

>Hi All,
>
>A while back someone posted enquiring about a reputable place to go (in
>Perth) to get your guards rolled. I'm wondering the same thing myself.
>I've been told all you need is a fairly large piece of pipe - and to be
>careful so as to not crease the whole panel!!
>
>The reason I'm asking - Whenever I put some weight in the back of the
>car (say - a passenger or two) the rear tyres can sometimes hit the
>guards. I'm heading down to Bunbury on the weekend (200 km trip on some
>reasonably undulating roads) I'm going to have a fair bit of weight in
>the car and I'd like my tyres to survive the trip..
>
>Thanks,
>
>Nathan...

Try some flaring pliers instead :) (joking).

Pat,
Brisbane, Australia,

Live Harder, Die Upside Down!
It's a Range Rover Thing, I Don't Even Understand!
Suspension by Slinky.

Keeper of the Mangeysaurus Rex
http://www.powerup.com.au/~mangey/

Sean

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99

Depending on your vehicle it may only be one side thats touching (check this
out)

If you have a 4 link rear end with panhard rod it may be deflecting to much
as the suspension lowers with weight.

This causes one side to touch when fully loaded - adjustable rods are
available.

Theres a suspension and wheel shop in Subiaco (well known but I forget the
name) who has a proper rolling device.

It attaches to the hub (wheel removed) and a lever mechanism pushes a
urethane roller around the guard in a controlled arc. Will still split the
paint work but looks much neater than a hammered guard.

Nathan <nat...@cadedit.com.au> wrote in message

Phil L

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
Sean wrote:

> It attaches to the hub (wheel removed) and a lever mechanism pushes a
> urethane roller around the guard in a controlled arc. Will still split the
> paint work but looks much neater than a hammered guard.

The trick here, is to work very slowly, and apply heat at the same time...
If done right, the paint will not be damaged...

Phil

--
---
Phil L.

Photo's and Information from Wanneroo (Barbagallo) Raceway, including Sports
Sedans.

http://www.iinet.net.au/~hibeach/

NASCAR comes to Barbagallo's Feb 2000.

Kieron Murphy

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 10:46:09 +0800, "Sean"
<sean_...@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>Depending on your vehicle it may only be one side thats touching (check this
>out)
>
>If you have a 4 link rear end with panhard rod it may be deflecting to much
>as the suspension lowers with weight.
>
>This causes one side to touch when fully loaded - adjustable rods are
>available.
>
>Theres a suspension and wheel shop in Subiaco (well known but I forget the
>name) who has a proper rolling device.

Can't remember the name myself, but its just a few doors down from me
on Hay St, just passed Meads Fish Gallery but on the other side, i'll
take a wander if you want the name?

Kieron

Nathan

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
The springs and shocks are only 4 weeks old, the car is fine 99% of the time
- but with 3 people in the back of the car plus a boot load of gear - it's
almost certain to scrub no matter what set up I use (with the exception of
air risers I guess).

The tyres on the back are 215's & the rims are the correct offset. If I
could take ~3-4mm from the lip on the guard I'm sure it would alleviate the
problem.

I did a bit of enquiry over the phone yesterday, from what I could gather -
no matter how I do it I will crack the paint. :-(

Dion Mikkelsen wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:19:35 +0800, Nathan <nat...@cadedit.com.au>
> wrote, after nibbling Nobby's nuts for some time:
>

> >The reason I'm asking - Whenever I put some weight in the back of the
> >car (say - a passenger or two) the rear tyres can sometimes hit the
> >guards. I'm heading down to Bunbury on the weekend (200 km trip on some
> >reasonably undulating roads) I'm going to have a fair bit of weight in
> >the car and I'd like my tyres to survive the trip..

Phil L

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99

Nathan wrote:

> The springs and shocks are only 4 weeks old, the car is fine 99% of the time
> - but with 3 people in the back of the car plus a boot load of gear - it's
> almost certain to scrub no matter what set up I use (with the exception of
> air risers I guess).

What sort of car is it? and out of curiousity, what springs/shocks are in there?

> The tyres on the back are 215's & the rims are the correct offset. If I
> could take ~3-4mm from the lip on the guard I'm sure it would alleviate the
> problem.

Rolling guards should only be neccessary if you have oversized wheels and
tyres...

But I guess overloading could cause a problem... (I overload my cars a little
sometimes too... but havent had problems with tyres scrubbing yet...)

> I did a bit of enquiry over the phone yesterday, from what I could gather -
> no matter how I do it I will crack the paint. :-(

You should be able to avoid cracking the paint by being careful and applying
heat... tho I guess nothing's definate...

Nathan

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
I saw the guys at a panel shop where I get all the work done on my car. They told
me how to do the job. I think at this stage I may just leave it until I have the
time to get it done properly.

Nathan...

Nathan

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
My car is a VL Commodore (sedan), the springs are King's & the shocks are Monroe
(both of the lowered variety).

Nathan...
Phil L wrote:

> Nathan wrote:
>
> > The springs and shocks are only 4 weeks old, the car is fine 99% of the time
> > - but with 3 people in the back of the car plus a boot load of gear - it's
> > almost certain to scrub no matter what set up I use (with the exception of
> > air risers I guess).
> >

> What sort of car is it? and out of curiousity, what springs/shocks are in there?

<snip>

Nathan

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
The guards are definately scraping on both sides, I can tell by the marks in the
sidewall of the tyres... :-(

Nathan...

Sean wrote:

> Depending on your vehicle it may only be one side thats touching (check this
> out)
>
> If you have a 4 link rear end with panhard rod it may be deflecting to much
> as the suspension lowers with weight.
>
> This causes one side to touch when fully loaded - adjustable rods are
> available.
>
> Theres a suspension and wheel shop in Subiaco (well known but I forget the
> name) who has a proper rolling device.
>

> It attaches to the hub (wheel removed) and a lever mechanism pushes a
> urethane roller around the guard in a controlled arc. Will still split the
> paint work but looks much neater than a hammered guard.
>

> Nathan <nat...@cadedit.com.au> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > A while back someone posted enquiring about a reputable place to go (in
> > Perth) to get your guards rolled. I'm wondering the same thing myself.
> > I've been told all you need is a fairly large piece of pipe - and to be
> > careful so as to not crease the whole panel!!
> >

> > The reason I'm asking - Whenever I put some weight in the back of the
> > car (say - a passenger or two) the rear tyres can sometimes hit the
> > guards. I'm heading down to Bunbury on the weekend (200 km trip on some
> > reasonably undulating roads) I'm going to have a fair bit of weight in
> > the car and I'd like my tyres to survive the trip..
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Nathan...

Marty Hogan

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99