Remote Key Setting Off Store Alarms

David Springthorpe

Apr 17, 2005, 6:09:41 AM4/17/05
The remote key for my Holden Astra (had it 3+ years) has only lately started
setting off those store entry alarms, both on entry and exit. Any reason why
this should be so ?

Thanks,
DS.

oddie

Apr 17, 2005, 6:37:40 AM4/17/05
I have the same problem but it wasn't my Astra key it was a tag under the
insoles of my shoes.
The sales assistant didn't remove them when I bought them from Rebel Sports
so every shop I went to set off alarms.
It was very embarrassing until I went back to Rebel and used a few choice
words to the Manager.
Oddie

"David Springthorpe" <david.spri...@XXXidx.com.au> wrote in message

David Springthorpe

Apr 17, 2005, 6:43:00 AM4/17/05
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 10:37:40 GMT, "oddie" <nightt...@hotmail.com>
enlightened us all immeasurably with the following revelation:

>I have the same problem but it wasn't my Astra key it was a tag under the
>insoles of my shoes.
>The sales assistant didn't remove them when I bought them from Rebel Sports
>so every shop I went to set off alarms.
>It was very embarrassing until I went back to Rebel and used a few choice
>words to the Manager.
>Oddie

Yeah, but those tags are SUPPOSED to set of the alarms, whereas I venture to say
that my remote key is not.....

DS

Alan

Apr 17, 2005, 7:07:09 AM4/17/05

"oddie" <nightt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Why did you not Take the Sticker off your self....??

oddie

Apr 17, 2005, 7:30:25 AM4/17/05
the tag was under the insole (not visible).

The insole is normally glued into the shoe but was removed by staff to
shoplifting.

I just thought that it might not be your key but something on your clothing
that was hidden and then not removed.

"Alan" <n...@onehere.com> wrote in message

kevcat

Apr 17, 2005, 10:01:16 AM4/17/05

posibly a transister or crystal oscillator or other eletronic device
inside the unit has changed spec slightly from either heat (usually why
they go off spec) or vibration and is now reacting the the detectors by
acting as a transmitter when the signal from the detector is passed
through it

has the remote seemed to change in it's effectiveness, doesn't work as
far from the car as it used to?

Kev

Brad Hogan

Apr 17, 2005, 5:37:52 PM4/17/05
>I have the same problem but it wasn't my Astra key it was a tag under the
>insoles of my shoes.
> The sales assistant didn't remove them when I bought them from Rebel
> Sports so every shop I went to set off alarms.
> It was very embarrassing until I went back to Rebel and used a few choice
> words to the Manager.

IE "Oh sorry but excuse me , I have this little problem, my shoes are
alarmed, can you please disable my shoes ?".

That usually does the trick.

David Springthorpe

Apr 17, 2005, 10:09:23 PM4/17/05
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 11:30:25 GMT, "oddie" <nightt...@hotmail.com>

enlightened us all immeasurably with the following revelation:

>I just thought that it might not be your key but something on your clothing

>that was hidden and then not removed.

Nah, I've taken the key out and tested it through the alarms and it's definitely
it.....

DS

David Springthorpe

Apr 17, 2005, 10:09:33 PM4/17/05
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 14:01:16 GMT, kevcat <kev...@dodo.com.au> enlightened us all

immeasurably with the following revelation:

>posibly a transister or crystal oscillator or other eletronic device

>inside the unit has changed spec slightly from either heat (usually why
>they go off spec) or vibration and is now reacting the the detectors by
>acting as a transmitter when the signal from the detector is passed
>through it
>
>has the remote seemed to change in it's effectiveness, doesn't work as
>far from the car as it used to?

Not really, 'tho sometimes it doesn't work at all in supermarket car parks.....

The plug-in unit inside the key has come loose over the last couple of years and
I have taken to packing it slightly with some squares of that thin plastic stuff
(not bubble-wrap) that is used to pack all sorts of things inside boxes, but
I've been doing this for a while now and the key has only recently started to
set off alarms.....

DS

Clockmeister

Apr 17, 2005, 11:26:38 PM4/17/05

"kevcat" <kev...@dodo.com.au> wrote in message

> David Springthorpe wrote:
> >
> > The remote key for my Holden Astra (had it 3+ years) has only lately
started
> > setting off those store entry alarms, both on entry and exit. Any reason
why
> > this should be so ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > DS.
>

> posibly a transister or crystal oscillator or other eletronic device
> inside the unit has changed spec slightly from either heat (usually why
> they go off spec) or vibration and is now reacting the the detectors by
> acting as a transmitter when the signal from the detector is passed
> through it

Not possible on those.

> has the remote seemed to change in it's effectiveness, doesn't work as
> far from the car as it used to?

It wouldn't work at all.

Clockmeister

Apr 17, 2005, 11:28:10 PM4/17/05

"David Springthorpe" <david.spri...@XXXidx.com.au> wrote in message

Have you ever changed the battery?

If not, do so.

Also, try putting the key in the ignition and with the ignition on press the
unlock/lock buttons a few times.

David Springthorpe

Apr 18, 2005, 2:57:06 AM4/18/05
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:28:10 +0800, "Clockmeister" <no-...@nowhere.com>

enlightened us all immeasurably with the following revelation:

>Have you ever changed the battery?
>
>If not, do so.

Yes.....

>Also, try putting the key in the ignition and with the ignition on press the
>unlock/lock buttons a few times.

I know this is what you have do to re-program it, and did so after
before-mentioned padding of loose internal unit.....

DS

Clockmeister

Apr 18, 2005, 4:02:30 AM4/18/05

"David Springthorpe" <david.spri...@XXXidx.com.au> wrote in message

The frequency that the remote works at doesn't change, and the immobilizer
transponder is so small that it shouldn't set off alarms so either the shops
have changed something or it's not your keys setting alarms off.

budgie

Apr 18, 2005, 7:19:45 AM4/18/05

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth! If a piece of NutriGrain is worth >$A1000
this should be worth quite a bit on ebay to someone with a mischeivous mind.

Bushy Pete

Apr 18, 2005, 7:33:50 AM4/18/05
> > before-mentioned padding of loose internal unit.....

So we know there is something loose inside it.....

> The frequency that the remote works at doesn't change,

Unless there is a loose connection in some part of the rf circuit causing
the frequency to change every time it moves, or changes temperature, like
when you take it out of the ignition and put it in your warm packet......

> and the immobilizer
> transponder is so small that it shouldn't set off alarms so either the
shops
> have changed something or it's not your keys setting alarms off.

Have you seen how close those antennas are? RF energy drops off just as
light does with the inverse square law. You don't need much energy being
picked up and reradiated to pick up at short distances. Although I might use
100+ watts to talk to someone in Canada with a radio, to talk to the person
in the seat beside me, I don't need a really big radio set!

I'd probably listen to "budgie"! ;<)

Hope this helps,
Peter

atec

Apr 18, 2005, 7:40:06 AM4/18/05
Speaking of which just got given a 6 metre repeater for the club here...
might have to go steal some copper pipe and turn dsome cavities.. will
be on Mt Tamborine in a couple of months ... maybe we can chat then as I
doubt you would crack the .70 ?

Rainbow Warrior

Apr 18, 2005, 7:43:53 AM4/18/05
"David Springthorpe" <david.spri...@XXXidx.com.au> wrote in message

Try yelling "Look! It's the Pope!" and pointing towards the back of the
store. Then lift the Astra over your head as you slip past the sensors while
everyone looks :-)

David Springthorpe

Apr 18, 2005, 7:49:22 AM4/18/05
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:43:53 +1000, "Rainbow Warrior" <sl...@sbs.com.fr>

enlightened us all immeasurably with the following revelation:

>Try yelling "Look! It's the Pope!" and pointing towards the back of the
>store. Then lift the Astra over your head as you slip past the sensors while
>everyone looks :-)

I'll pay that one.....

I will restore key to standard (no packing) and see what happens....my spare key
has completely given up the ghost (i.e. not just flat batteries).....

DS

Scotty

Apr 18, 2005, 8:13:42 AM4/18/05
Yes, stop keeping that stolen wallet in your back pocket! or at least take
the security tag off it.

Scotty

Apr 18, 2005, 8:15:44 AM4/18/05

"oddie" <nightt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem but it wasn't my Astra key it was a tag under the
>insoles of my shoes.
> The sales assistant didn't remove them when I bought them from Rebel
> Sports so every shop I went to set off alarms.
> It was very embarrassing until I went back to Rebel and used a few choice
> words to the Manager.
> Oddie

You mean your shoes didnt come with an ARM/DISARM remote! What is the shoe
industry doing with R&D these days?

kevcat

Apr 18, 2005, 8:15:43 AM4/18/05
what freq atec?

I should be able to get that from here

Kev

Clockmeister

Apr 18, 2005, 6:57:25 PM4/18/05

"Bushy Pete" <ple...@reply.to.group> wrote in message

> > > before-mentioned padding of loose internal unit.....
> > >

> So we know there is something loose inside it.....
>
> > The frequency that the remote works at doesn't change,
>
> Unless there is a loose connection in some part of the rf circuit causing
> the frequency to change every time it moves, or changes temperature, like
> when you take it out of the ignition and put it in your warm packet......

Not possible, trust me. Even if it was it would not be the remote for the
doors setting it off unless you happen to be pressing the button.

> > and the immobilizer
> > transponder is so small that it shouldn't set off alarms so either the
> shops
> > have changed something or it's not your keys setting alarms off.
> >

> Have you seen how close those antennas are? RF energy drops off just as
> light does with the inverse square law. You don't need much energy being
> picked up and reradiated to pick up at short distances. Although I might
use
> 100+ watts to talk to someone in Canada with a radio, to talk to the
person
> in the seat beside me, I don't need a really big radio set!
>
> I'd probably listen to "budgie"! ;<)

The transponder doesn't send any signal because it has no power source
itself, but when it is turned in the ignition it is energised by the
transponder ring and it does. (completely seperate to the remote key
circuitry, not even physically connected)

Clearly walking through the field generated by the alarm system, it is
picking up on the transponder sending a signal.

The signal is fixed and can't possibly move as it's completely solid state,
infact it looks like a tiny bit of ferrite, and if it did the car wouldn't
start.