Macedonia Baptist Church was founded by God, built by Jesus Christ,
established by the Holy Spirit, and organized under the leadership of
the Reverend Forest D. Mills in the year of our Lord 1920. The first
worship service was held Sunday, January 25, 1920 in a small house
behind the home located at 5201 Yemans Street in the village of
Hamtramck, Michigan. This house served as a place of worship until
the small congregation purchased land on December 30, 1922, for $595
on a land contract. A small but adequate church was constructed at
5100 Evaline Street the following year.
Macedonia soon became an oasis to a community that was thirsty for
water of life. The preaching, teaching, and healing ministry of
Pastor Mills brought comfort to a community going through the
decline of the Great Depression of 1929 and early 1930s. In 1937,
Pastor Mills’ health prevented him from fulfilling his pastoral
duties. The church then called the Reverend Junius A. Watson, the
in-law of Pastor Mills, to serve as the second pastor of Macedonia
Baptist Church. In 1941, Pastor F. D. Mills was called home from
labor to reward.
Under the leadership of Pastor Watson, the church membership grew and
required more space. A mortgage was secured on May 31, 1946, to
extend the church’s sanctuary. This mortgage was discharged December
6, 1948. In 1948 and 1950, two parcels of land were purchased two
blocks away, on the corner of Belmont and Buffalo streets. On
Thanksgiving Day 1953, ground was broken for the construction of a
church facility at 5080 Belmont, Hamtramck, Michigan. This
undertaking was a strain on a congregation that was determined to pay
cash for every brick and block that went into the construction.
Although it would take 21 years to build the new edifice, the
congregation was led by a man of great faith and conviction who never
lost sight of his vision. On July 3, 1974, a mortgage of $8,000 was
secured to purchase used pews, furniture, and fixtures. On September
29, 1974, the church’s 54th anniversary, the church marched through
the streets to its new church home.
In a new building, the church quickly grew to about 100 members.
Pastor Watson became ill in early 1979, but came off of his sick bed
July 8, 1979, to ordain his grandson and associate minister, the
Reverend Charles D. Twymon. On September 9, 1979, with the mortgage
discharged and Macedonia debt-free, our beloved pastor of 42 years
went home from labor to reward. Reverend Twymon was elected to serve
Macedonia as its third pastor on November 7, 1979, and was officially
and formally installed on Sunday, January 13, 1980.
Pastor Twymon and a membership of about 125 wasted no time in
preparing for a harvest of souls. A second mortgage for $50,000 was
secured on July 21, 1980. With this loan, central air conditioning
was installed and ground was broken for a fellowship hall addition.
This construction was completed in 1982 and the mortgage was
discharged on November 5, 1986. During the remainder of the 1980s,
the sanctuary was remodeled, and a new library, kitchen, nursery, and
two restrooms were constructed. The membership tripled in size to
more than 400 members. It became clear that our membership was
from all over the Detroit metropolitan area and we had outgrown our
church facility. All efforts to remain in Hamtramck were overruled
God. The Lord spoke to Pastor Twymon and gave him a vision to
out into the deep and let down your net for a catch.”
Pastor Twymon revealed his vision to the congregation for a larger
worship facility and the search began in 1993. Our quest ended in
July of 1997 when we secured our present facility at 14221 Southfield
Road in Detroit, Michigan. After eight months of extensive
renovations and with a motorcade of 100 cars, we moved from Hamtramck
to Detroit into our new spacious 33,000 square foot church home on
April 5, 1998, by God’s grace, debt-free and without a mortgage.
God has continued to bless our church, both spiritually and
physically. Our membership has grown in the Word of God and new
ministries have been developed to enhance effective spiritual and
practical growth in the lives of individuals. Our membership has
grown to more than 700 and in 2002 an 8:00 a.m. Sunday worship
was added to accommodate our new growth. The Lord continues to add
to the church daily. We celebrate God's grace and goodness, for we
are assured it is the Lord who has built this house.