Focus to start at $23k!

Marco Spaccavento

Jun 1, 2002, 9:24:51 PM6/1/02
Sometimes I wonder if Ford isn't going out of its way to sell as few cars as
possible.

An article in today's paper says Ford thinks the Focus is "too good to sell
at $19,990" (where all its competitors are), and as such it will start at
$23,000 for a model with 85kW, central locking, one airbag and
pretensioners, and steering mounted audio controls - and apparently nothing
else. You'll have to pay more for a more upmarket model to get a passenger
bag, CD player, air-con and power stuff. To me, this looks like the worst
value for money car since the VW Polo. I hope for Ford's sake that people
are going to buy it on styling and handling alone, because I don't think it
will sell on power or equipment.

Marco Spaccavento
rbge...@iprimus.com.au

LS1Dan--

Jun 1, 2002, 9:51:55 PM6/1/02

$23K for the pov pack pretty lame really.

--
Regards
Dan

Marco Spaccavento

Jun 1, 2002, 9:50:13 PM6/1/02

"LS1Dan--" <webm...@chevpower.zzn.com> wrote in message

Especially considering the most pov Astra is $18,990 and $20k gets you a
fully loaded Pulsar...

LS1Dan--

Jun 1, 2002, 9:58:48 PM6/1/02
Marco Spaccavento wrote:

> > $23K for the pov pack pretty lame really.
>
> Especially considering the most pov Astra is $18,990 and $20k gets you a
> fully loaded Pulsar...

Agreed. I would hate to see how much they will be charging for the top
of the line Focus. And if its a hefty price for a small car they better
have a lot of luxuries installed. :-)

--
Regards
Dan

D Walford

Jun 2, 2002, 12:58:31 AM6/2/02

Holden must have significantly dropped their price in the last 12
months.
When we bought the Corolla in Jan 2001 an Astra was at least $2000 more.
The Focus must have something going for it if its sales figures OS are
anything to go by.

Daryl

Marco Spaccavento

Jun 2, 2002, 3:11:15 AM6/2/02

"D Walford" <wal...@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message

> Holden must have significantly dropped their price in the last 12
> months.
> When we bought the Corolla in Jan 2001 an Astra was at least $2000 more.

The $18,990 Astra is the City 3dr which wouldn't have been available when
you bought your Corolla.

> The Focus must have something going for it if its sales figures OS are
> anything to go by.

Yes, but in Europe it is priced comparably to its rivals - and people in
Europe are far more "fashion victom" prone than people here.

Forg

Jun 2, 2002, 4:39:15 AM6/2/02
Marco Spaccavento wrote:

> Yes, but in Europe it is priced comparably to its rivals - and people in
> Europe are far more "fashion victom" prone than people here.

Ford don't export as many cars, so they don't get
the import tax credits Holden do. The cars
therefore cost Ford more to land here.

Forg! -DUH#6=- (Y1)

"...
this crazy Forg surrounds me
..."
[Live - "When Dolphins Cry"]

D Walford

Jun 2, 2002, 5:57:49 AM6/2/02

Forg wrote:

> Marco Spaccavento wrote:

> > Yes, but in Europe it is priced comparably to its rivals - and people in
> > Europe are far more "fashion victom" prone than people here.
>
> Ford don't export as many cars, so they don't get
> the import tax credits Holden do. The cars
> therefore cost Ford more to land here.
>
> --
> --
> Forg! -DUH#6=- (Y1)

Very good point.
I doubt fashion is why the Focus sells so well but if it is
uncompetitively priced in Aus then it won't sell as well as it should.
One things for sure is that buyers of small cars have never had such a
good range of affordable cars to choose from.

Daryl

M@W8

Jun 2, 2002, 6:31:52 AM6/2/02
"Marco Spaccavento" <rbge...@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message

> Sometimes I wonder if Ford isn't going out of its way to sell as few cars
as
> possible.

It's all a conspiracy. That's the only explanation. :-)

> An article in today's paper says Ford thinks the Focus is "too good to
sell
> at $19,990" (where all its competitors are), and as such it will start at
> $23,000 for a model with 85kW, central locking, one airbag and
> pretensioners, and steering mounted audio controls - and apparently
nothing
> else. You'll have to pay more for a more upmarket model to get a
passenger
> bag, CD player, air-con and power stuff. To me, this looks like the worst
> value for money car since the VW Polo. I hope for Ford's sake that people
> are going to buy it on styling and handling alone, because I don't think
it
> will sell on power or equipment.

I think they've got rocks in their head. The Focus is a good car (from all
reports) but the average punter tends to buy on price. (Just look at the
the Hyundai's and Daewoo's on the road!!)

If they placed it line-ball with the Astra (it's natural competitor) it'd do
well. If they're going to price it like that they may as well just keep the
Laser!

Marco Spaccavento

Jun 2, 2002, 7:28:22 AM6/2/02

"Forg" <fo...@zip.com.au> wrote in message

> Marco Spaccavento wrote:

> > Yes, but in Europe it is priced comparably to its rivals - and people in
> > Europe are far more "fashion victom" prone than people here.
>

> Ford don't export as many cars, so they don't get
> the import tax credits Holden do. The cars
> therefore cost Ford more to land here.

I thought import tax credits had been done away with a couple of years ago?

Neil Gerace

Jun 2, 2002, 7:26:50 AM6/2/02
On ford.co.uk the cheapest price for a Focus CL (pov pack) I could find was
GBP 9680, which is about $25,000, so someone's being ripped off and it's
probably not us. That's the buy-online price, to but one from a dealer would
cost about GBP 800 more IIRC.

rgds
Neil

Skystar

Jun 2, 2002, 8:51:07 AM6/2/02

"Neil Gerace" <ger...@iinet.net.au> wrote in message

There aren't many cars in the UK that are cheaper these days. That's
why a few go over to the continent to buy their cars.

Stephen

Jun 2, 2002, 9:47:05 AM6/2/02
I drove one of these for a month in the US last year. It was very
roomy and comfortable but a bit gutless - although it was the auto
version.

Allan Jones

Jun 4, 2002, 2:13:54 AM6/4/02

I had two weeks in the 1.6 manual hatch, when in the UK last year, and
was very impressed. Excellent handling with easy 80 mph cruising. But
the thing that really surprised was the economy : 8 litres per 100
miles.
Of course at $A 2.40 per litre for regular ULP it would need to be
:-)

Allan Jones