Dunlop Volleys! Are they the go for bushwalking.

Les Oxford

Apr 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/14/00
Is it true that the go for bushwalking (creek walking, canyoning etc) the
best footwear to go for are Dunlop Volleys? Does other people agree to this
or would I turn up wearing them and have people stare at me strangely??

David Killick

Apr 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/14/00
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Alan Vidler

Apr 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/14/00
You will get some strange responses to this topic as its a regular and much
hated religious war topic- you are probably already experiencing hate mail,
threats etc :-)

In a nutshell, trying to be neutral:

In NSW and ACT they are standard fare used by most people for creek walking
and canyoning. Most(/many?) people elsewhere and some in ACT/NSW regard them
as unsuitable for anything. There are bigots on both sides of the argument,
but hopefully all are too tired/bored with topic to reply.....

Alan Vidler

Lyn & Roy

Apr 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/14/00
You don't know (poor soul) what you've started here.
But, the bells are ringing, I'll come into it.
No, if you're canyoning or creek walking and you wear Dunlop Volleys, it's
highly unlikely that anyone will look at you strangely.
Make sure, however, the Volleys don't have that "white, new" look about
them.
Smother them in something brown and awful before hand.
Good luck.

Roy

Les Oxford <les...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

Mark(un-MASK)Forsyth

Apr 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/14/00
On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 16:27:23 +1000, Les Oxford <les...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>Is it true that the go for bushwalking (creek walking, canyoning etc) the
>best footwear to go for are Dunlop Volleys? Does other people agree to this
>or would I turn up wearing them and have people stare at me strangely??

Ahhh bugger the Volleys. Personally I think that lime green patent leather
gumboots should be the go.

--
Mark F...
unMASK for e-mail

IR Client

Apr 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/15/00
There are a number of propper trecking footwear on the market. Ones you hurt
your food or toes, you will work out then, that there really are some
deficiencies with your Dunlops for the purpose of x-country bushwalking.

David Springthorpe

Apr 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/15/00
On Sat, 15 Apr 2000 13:29:58 +1000, Geoff <ge...@iws.com.au> wrote:

>With or without spurs?

Or the special NZ gumboots with the Velcro on the front......?

David Springthorpe

Apr 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/15/00
On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:14:39 GMT, Alan Vidler <avi...@pcug.org.au>
wrote:

>You will get some strange responses to this topic as its a regular and much
>hated religious war topic- you are probably already experiencing hate mail,
>threats etc :-)
>
>In a nutshell, trying to be neutral:
>
>In NSW and ACT they are standard fare used by most people for creek walking
>and canyoning. Most(/many?) people elsewhere and some in ACT/NSW regard them
>as unsuitable for anything. There are bigots on both sides of the argument,
>but hopefully all are too tired/bored with topic to reply.....
>
>Alan Vidler

Just as well as Geoff Wise is currently in Tasmania asnd not seeing
this.....

DV's still very suitable for creeks/canyons - just don't expect them
to last very long these days.....

-------------------------------
David Springthorpe
E-mail dspr...@one.net.au

Chris O'Neill

Apr 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/16/00
In article <38f8...@news.iprimus.com.au>, "IR Client"
<gaz...@hotkey.net.au> wrote:

I tried my Volleys for x-country skiing once (surfing style, i.e. without
doing up the bindings). Didn't work very well, the skis had a mind of
their own.

Chris O'Neill

Apr 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/16/00

I've noticed the soles crack before they wear out now. Usual failure
mode in the past was the holes in the canvas got too big. Now it's the
soles cracking through. But they last long enough for $15.

David Springthorpe

Apr 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/16/00
On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 03:58:18 +1100, con...@alphalink.com.au (Chris
O'Neill) wrote:

>I've noticed the soles crack before they wear out now. Usual failure
>mode in the past was the holes in the canvas got too big. Now it's the
>soles cracking through. But they last long enough for $15.

Canvas too thin, and rubber on soles too soft.....

Chris O'Neill

Apr 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/17/00

>On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 03:58:18 +1100, con...@alphalink.com.au (Chris
>O'Neill) wrote:
>
>>I've noticed the soles crack before they wear out now. Usual failure
>>mode in the past was the holes in the canvas got too big. Now it's the
>>soles cracking through. But they last long enough for $15.
>
>Canvas too thin, and rubber on soles too soft.....

I think the problem is that they are not engineered specifically for
bushwalking and the main objective now seems to be to make them as cheap
as absolutely possible. A bit like li-los became, i.e. thinner and
hence not as good for use on rivers. The product wasn't engineered
specifically for the application you want to use it for. It's up to
the user to decide whether it is suitable for his application.

Mitchell Isaacs

Apr 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/17/00
Volleys have sensational grip on wet slippery rocks(great for canyoning),
especially for the price (around $20). I also wear them bushwalking (I like
being able to feel what's under my feet).

However, as you've probably surmised by now, they don't last particularly
long, and on more than one occasion I've had to finish a walk with less than
2 shoes.

Mitchell

Roger Caffin

Apr 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/17/00
Les Oxford wrote:

> Is it true that the go for bushwalking (creek walking, canyoning etc) the
> best footwear to go for are Dunlop Volleys? Does other people agree to this
> or would I turn up wearing them and have people stare at me strangely??
Luverly..... again.

But seriously, while DVs have their ardent devotees, some
find them just a little light in cushioning at the heel. I
wear them in canyons, but prefer the more robust Dunlop
KT26s for walking. Very good tread for tricky country and
better heel cushioning.

In NSW you will find people will not pay any attention to
DVs or KTs at all. New Scarpas going down Blue Gum or
Federal Pass will get you a pitying look on the other hand.

But note: buy them at K-mart or similar: any price over $28
is TOO MUCH!

Cheers
Roger Caffin

David Duffy

Apr 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/19/00
Someone in the building trade said roofers had gone off Volleys and now
wore a similar shoe from Slazenger (sole like old DV). Does anyone know
which shoe this would be?

David Duffy.

John Atkinson

Apr 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/19/00

Dunno. I've recently been wearing Slazenger Top Spin. Uppers mostly
plastic, which last about as long as the soles -- maybe 10 times as long
as chinese volleys for 2-3 times the price. They are however
significantly heavier, the grip is marginally less good, and you can't
feel the ground through the soles as well (i.e., rather too much
cushioning for bushwalking, though excellent for trackbashing). My
current best compromise.

And they come in sexy black as well as virginal white.

J.

chopper

Apr 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/23/00
I wore out a pair of slazengers in 2 weeks doing a survey in Woko National
Park. The ones in question were the slazenger volley look a likes. They are
about $20 and are nice on tracks but couldnt manage the rocky scrub bashing
and wore through the sole in less than 200 kilometres of walking.

Bring back the adidas GRand Prix- I regularly got more than 2000km for a
pair of those!

DF

Ern Reeders

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
KT26s are also worth a look. I've had good results walking/swimming the Snowy
and Genoa rivers with them. They're cheap, have a bit of cushioning, and a
fairly agressive tread pattern.

Ern Reeders

Geoff Phillips

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
in article 38FAB9D7...@tpg.com.au, Roger Caffin at r.ca...@tpg.com.au
wrote on 17/4/00 5:14 PM:

> Les Oxford wrote:
>>
>> Is it true that the go for bushwalking (creek walking, canyoning etc) the
>> best footwear to go for are Dunlop Volleys? Does other people agree to this
>> or would I turn up wearing them and have people stare at me strangely??

> Luverly..... again.

> DVs or KTs at all. New Scarpas going down Blue Gum or
> Federal Pass will get you a pitying look on the other hand.
>
> But note: buy them at K-mart or similar: any price over $28
> is TOO MUCH!
>
> Cheers
> Roger Caffin

I was once cruising down some gorge somewhere with a party all decked out in
flash boots and brightly coloured packs when a bloke came the other way, on
his own, in bare feet.

Just walk. It doen't matter what you wear, form your own opinions as you go,
but both Volleys and K26 are very popular.

Geoff P

Glen Morris

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
Les

I'd recommend Adidas hemp sport shoes... look rather similar to the old style
Dunlop Volleys. They cost $49 at a shoe shop in Pitt Street, Sydney about three
years ago. They're still going strong despite having been down numerous
canyons, bush walks and general all round outdoor work shoe. Not much under
sole padding so they feel more like slippers to wear but the soles haven't
split and only the hemp uppers are starting to get holes...

Glen

ren hoek

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
I weigh 80Kg without a pack and about 20Kg more with a pack on.

DVs are comfortable enough but wittt the added weight of a pack I feel
evvery rock onder my feet. DVs in my experience a great for the water but
have bugger all foot protection value.

DVs also tear easily.

andrew barnes

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
Can you smoke them?

ren hoek

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00

David Springthorpe

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 06:55:39 +1000, Ern Reeders
<zi...@connexus.net.au> wrote:

>KT26s are also worth a look...... a
>fairly agressive tread pattern.

Give me a break.....

TheSnowBaron

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00

*I weigh 80Kg without a pack and about 20Kg more with a pack on.
*DVs are comfortable enough but wittt the added weight of a pack I feel
*evvery rock onder my feet. DVs in my experience a great for the water but
*have bugger all foot protection value.
*DVs also tear easily.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
In northern Nepal, about 1km from the Chinese border near Ziangmoo, (spelling) we met Sherpas
completely barefoot and carrying three wooden cases of apples each. I estimated the cases to be 20
kg each. Some carried them all in a sling supported by their head and some had one case under each
arm and one supported by the head.
No boots or DV's in sight,

Frank

No Man means all he says and yet very few say all they mean,
for words are slippery and thoughts are viscous.
Henry B. Adams

Roger Caffin

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Geoff Phillips wrote:
> Roger Caffin wrote on 17/4/00 5:14 PM:

> > Les Oxford wrote:
> >> Is it true that the go for bushwalking (creek walking, canyoning etc) the
> >> best footwear to go for are Dunlop Volleys? Does other people agree to this
> >> or would I turn up wearing them and have people stare at me strangely??
> > Luverly..... again.

> > DVs or KTs at all. New Scarpas going down Blue Gum or
> > Federal Pass will get you a pitying look on the other hand.
> I was once cruising down some gorge somewhere with a party all decked out in
> flash boots and brightly coloured packs when a bloke came the other way, on
> his own, in bare feet.
> Just walk. It doen't matter what you wear, form your own opinions as you go,
> but both Volleys and K26 are very popular.

OK, OK! I surrender! (and agree re "just walk")

Actually, on good rock in a canyon, bare feet do give
wonderful grip AND immediate feedback as to the friction (or
lack thereof...).
It's just that after several hours in very cold water I
cease to feel my toes, and they start to bounce off bits of
rock. Doesn't hurt then, but later when they warm up....
But what about the yabbies? Don't they worry you in bare
feet?

Cheers
Roger Caffin

Michael

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Anyone staring at you strangely for wearing volleys is a total gronk and
their opinion has no bearing. Volleys are fine. In VERY wet canyons think
about neoprene booties. I just did five days in the snowy mountains with
temperatures down to -7. volleys and explorer soxs did the job perfectly.

Glen Morris

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
Frank

I found your story of the sherpas so amazing I thought I'd try and see what
carrying 60kg barefoot felt like. Couldn't find anything heavy enough to put
in my pack so carried my wife (73kg) on my back around the house and up the
stairs... phew... I can only say I'm glad it wasn't 5,000m above sea level
and snowing.

Glen

David Springthorpe

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 17:19:06 +1000, Glen Morris
<gl...@arachnoid.net.au> wrote:

>Frank
>
>I found your story of the sherpas so amazing I thought I'd try and see what
>carrying 60kg barefoot felt like. Couldn't find anything heavy enough to put
>in my pack so carried my wife (73kg) on my back around the house and up the
>stairs... phew... I can only say I'm glad it wasn't 5,000m above sea level
>and snowing.

Suggest you don't get her used to it.....!

Jaf

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
I can't believe anyone wears dunlop volleys "Bushwalking". Canoeing and
canyoning etc is a different story. What do you people call bushwalking?! An
hours stroll down the local bike track? I either value my toes and ankles a
lot more than some, or some of you guys are pretty soft if Volleys get you
by.

Jaf.

Roger Caffin

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
Glen Morris wrote:
> I found your story of the sherpas so amazing I thought I'd try and see what
> carrying 60kg barefoot felt like. Couldn't find anything heavy enough to put
> in my pack so carried my wife (73kg) on my back around the house and up the
> stairs... phew... I can only say I'm glad it wasn't 5,000m above sea level
> and snowing.
> > In northern Nepal, about 1km from the Chinese border near Ziangmoo, (spelling)
> > we met Sherpas
> > completely barefoot and carrying three wooden cases of apples each. I
> > estimated the cases to be 20
> > kg each. Some carried them all in a sling supported by their head and some had
> > one case under each
> > arm and one supported by the head.

It's not the bare feet that feel it. It's the knees! They go
all sort of wobbly....
Yes, they are amazing.

Cheers
Roger Caffin

Roger Caffin

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00

"pretty soft"? Or pretty HARD? An odd suggestion, methinks.
Maybe our ankles and feet are a bit stronger or tougher?

Definition of bushwalking? Well, I'm not going to play "my
pack is bigger than yours".
Let's just say that most serious bushwalking clubs in NSW
would regard DVs and KTs as standard bush wear, while boots
are for novices.
But, wear what you like.

Cheers
Roger Caffin

Caroline

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
> It's not the bare feet that feel it. It's the knees! They go
> all sort of wobbly....
> Yes, they are amazing.
>
> Cheers
> Roger Caffin

Roger

Of course they go all wobbly when you have a woman on
you.................;-)

Caroline

David Killick

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
I reckon the Dunlop Volley Question is one of the imponderables of our
time; a matter of personal preference akin to discussions of religion
and politics. I enjoy the cut and thrust of the regular endless threads
on the subject. It brings warmth to my heart that some people get so
much enjoyment from a simple sandshoe. I have great respect for the
opinions of the various combatants and their fervour means I might one
day be tempted to step out in a pair of Volleys or KTs myself. But I do
have a some of questions to ask to help me understand the ongoing
debate.

Firstly, is it a fair observation that the DV phenomenon seems to be
confined to members, ex-members and fellow-travellers of a couple of
Sydney bushwalking clubs? Which clubs are these that have alone seen the
light?

If Dunlop Volleys are so popular, how come in I've only ever seen two
people wearing them in the bush? Maybe I go to different places to the
really "serious bushwalking clubs", but the people I run into who claim
to be from bushwalking clubs are usually wearing boots. Are they the
soft bastards?

Roger, the quote below was a tongue-in-cheek attempt to put more passion
into the debate, right?

> Let's just say that most serious bushwalking clubs in NSW would regard DVs and KTs as standard bush wear, >while boots are for novices.

cheers,

Dave.

Eric Ulevik

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
"David Killick" <dkil...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

> If Dunlop Volleys are so popular, how come in I've only ever seen two
> people wearing them in the bush? Maybe I go to different places to the
> really "serious bushwalking clubs", but the people I run into who claim
> to be from bushwalking clubs are usually wearing boots. Are they the
> soft bastards?

That's right. If you meet other people, you're not anywhere interesting
enough.

David Springthorpe

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 21:42:22 +1000, "Jaf"
<jaf...@SPAMoptusnet.com.PLEASE.au> wrote:

>I can't believe anyone wears dunlop volleys

Boy, you is playin' with fire.....

Jaf

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
To rephrase,
I don't want to walk into somewhere and cut my foot open by accidentally
kicking a rock and not be able to walk out. My feet are soft because I work
in an office and wear shoes everyday.
The best bits of bushwalking are climbing mountains, views and the
challenge. The really bad bits are great a couple of weeks later. The only
thing I think is "soft" is resting on one's laurels.

Jaf.

Tony

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
Persdonally I think that "Surfer Joe" thongs are the go for walking
in. Great and have plenty of area to tread lightly....

David Killick <dkil...@bigpond.com> wrote:

>I reckon the Dunlop Volley Question is one of the imponderables of our
>time; a matter of personal preference akin to discussions of religion
>and politics. I enjoy the cut and thrust of the regular endless threads
>on the subject. It brings warmth to my heart that some people get so
>much enjoyment from a simple sandshoe. I have great respect for the
>opinions of the various combatants and their fervour means I might one
>day be tempted to step out in a pair of Volleys or KTs myself. But I do
>have a some of questions to ask to help me understand the ongoing
>debate.
>
>Firstly, is it a fair observation that the DV phenomenon seems to be
>confined to members, ex-members and fellow-travellers of a couple of
>Sydney bushwalking clubs? Which clubs are these that have alone seen the
>light?
>

>If Dunlop Volleys are so popular, how come in I've only ever seen two
>people wearing them in the bush? Maybe I go to different places to the
>really "serious bushwalking clubs", but the people I run into who claim
>to be from bushwalking clubs are usually wearing boots. Are they the
>soft bastards?

John Wayman

Apr 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/29/00
> Firstly, is it a fair observation that the DV phenomenon seems to be
> confined to members, ex-members and fellow-travellers of a couple of
> Sydney bushwalking clubs? Which clubs are these that have alone seen the
> light?

I agree. DVs are a cultural thing in walking clubs in the sandstone areas,
mainly around Sydney.

In my own Melbourne based club, I have yet to see anyone attempt a serious
walk in DVs.

KT26s are in evidence, and I wear them myself for street walking, easy day
walks and the odd easy back pack. Many walkers also carry them as camp
slippers in addition to their heavy boots on a long back pack. They are
great as an emergency footwear in case your boots die on the track. A couple
of keen walkers with extremely strong feet that don't need ankle support
wear KT26s exclusively.

Cheers
John Wayman

Mitchell Isaacs

Apr 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/29/00
Actually I've found that on slippery rocks DV's have better grip than bare
feet - however, you can grip with your toes with bare feet.

Mitchell

"Roger Caffin" <r.ca...@tpg.com.au> wrote in message

> Geoff Phillips wrote:
> > Roger Caffin wrote on 17/4/00 5:14 PM:

the
strangely??

Geoff Phillips

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
It seems that at least one server has me as the original poster of this
thread, not true.

Volleys have a reputation for longevity and sound construction in relation
to their cost. A little further up the market and their more affluent
cousins, the K26 (or whatever it's called) is even more popular, and some
think, more ... dressy.

Given the cost of the above compared to a good leather boot, I'm not
surprised that the cheaper options have found a niche user group. One
wonders, howevr, whether the cost is a deciding factor and the DV and K26
users are really getting the best value.

Personally, I think that a lot of waffle is spoken about compositions,
treads, and whatever. As a scout I wore hob-nailed Water Hens, then I spent
about ten years in elastic sided T boots, then I had a rush of blood and
spent $180 on a yewbewdy pair and I hated them, I wear them to work now. I
am currently in a pair of cheap Blundstones which are adequate.

Tread? Have a look at your soles on your next muddy trip and try to reckon
how much work the tread is doing.

Composition? Yeah, I think composition counts, in rock hopping anyway, but
if you get too soft rubber they wear out too quick, and the tread goes
"blunt" quickly. Think about it.

Soles can be too rigid. I like to feel the shape of the ground. If I step on
a stick, I want to feel it, this is necessary for good rock hopping too.

I want the boot to flex at the ball of my foot the way it would if I were
barefoot, not like robot boots that have a stiff sole.

As I said in an earlier post that bloke in the gorge was going like a beauty
and he was barefoot. Come to think of it the aborigines did a few trips with
little in the way of boots. I think they had fairly light loads to carry
though.

Volleys and K26? Fine for some, others wouldn't be seen dead in them.

Geoff P

Roger Caffin

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
Caroline wrote:
> > It's not the bare feet that feel it. It's the knees! They go
> > all sort of wobbly....
> Of course they go all wobbly when you have a woman on
> you.................;-)

I pass! I concede! I surrender!
(I have never won a discussion with a member of the fair sex
anyhow :-) )

Cheers
Roger Caffin

Roger Caffin

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
David Killick wrote:
> I reckon the Dunlop Volley Question is one of the imponderables of our
> time; a matter of personal preference akin to discussions of religion
> and politics. I enjoy the cut and thrust of the regular endless threads
> on the subject. It brings warmth to my heart that some people get so
> much enjoyment from a simple sandshoe.
Cynic! True...

> Firstly, is it a fair observation that the DV phenomenon seems to be
> confined to members, ex-members and fellow-travellers of a couple of
> Sydney bushwalking clubs? Which clubs are these that have alone seen the
> light?

Not really. An awful lot of NSW walkers wear DVs and KTs and
a few reliable brands of joggers (but they are much dearer
and don't last much longer). It may have spread out from the
clubs, or it may have been a result of the earlier
Depression era. I don't know. It has been said that
Victorians wear boots instead. Another generalisation.
However, note two points: US Army research shows that 1 kg
on your feet is equivalent (in fatigue effect) to 7 kg on
your back; many people have worn DVs and KTs through Nepal,
including very high. I only put on boots when I had to wear
crampons. One well-known Sydney walker is reputed to have
climbed Mt Cook in crampons over joggers (or was it DVs?)

> If Dunlop Volleys are so popular, how come in I've only ever seen two
> people wearing them in the bush? Maybe I go to different places to the
> really "serious bushwalking clubs", but the people I run into who claim
> to be from bushwalking clubs are usually wearing boots. Are they the
> soft bastards?

Maybe different clubs.
But then, some people like large heavy boots.

> Roger, the quote below was a tongue-in-cheek attempt to put more passion
> into the debate, right?
> > Let's just say that most serious bushwalking clubs in NSW would regard DVs and KTs as standard
> > bush wear, while boots are for novices.

No, not really. The statement stands. (No following smiley.)

I prefer KTs for walking; other prefer DVs. Try a pair for
yourself and make up your own mind.
Note: if you find DVs a bit "thin" underneath, try KTs
instead.
Try a good pair of Thorlo socks inside them.

Cheers
Roger Caffin

Roger Caffin

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
Eric Ulevik wrote:

> "David Killick" wrote:
> > If Dunlop Volleys are so popular, how come in I've only ever seen two
> > people wearing them in the bush? Maybe I go to different places to the
> > really "serious bushwalking clubs", but the people I run into who claim
> > to be from bushwalking clubs are usually wearing boots. Are they the
> > soft bastards?
> That's right. If you meet other people, you're not anywhere interesting
> enough.
Like in a Kings Cross DV8s club? :-)

Cheers
Roger Caffin

Roger Caffin

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
Jaf wrote:
> To rephrase,
> I don't want to walk into somewhere and cut my foot open by accidentally
> kicking a rock and not be able to walk out. My feet are soft because I work
> in an office and wear shoes everyday.
Fair enough. But in all the years walkers have been wearing
DVs and KTs, I don't think there have been many cases of
that sort of injury. I've never heard of any. fwiiw.
Your feet won't be "soft" because you wear shoes every day.
Many very experienced walkers do just that. It's more a
matter of fitness, and experience.

> The best bits of bushwalking are climbing mountains, views and the
> challenge. The really bad bits are great a couple of weeks later.

Aha! Avoid "the really bad bits" by going walking the next
weekend, and the next, and the next...
(We do.)

Cheers
Roger Caffin

Roger Caffin

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
Mitchell Isaacs wrote:
> Actually I've found that on slippery rocks DV's have better grip than bare
> feet - however, you can grip with your toes with bare feet.
Toes?
I'm refering to the toe NAILS! :-)

Cheers
Roger Caffin

David Springthorpe

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
On Sun, 30 Apr 2000 21:09:09 +1000, Roger Caffin <r.ca...@tpg.com.au>
wrote:

> One well-known Sydney walker is reputed to have
>climbed Mt Cook in crampons over joggers (or was it DVs?)

Names.....we want names.....was it a a noble event.....?

David Springthorpe

Apr 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/30/00
On Sun, 30 Apr 2000 07:05:48 +1000, Geoff Phillips <1ge...@one.net.au>
wrote:

>Volleys have a reputation for longevity and sound construction in relation
>to their cost.

Not any more.....you obviously haven't worn them for several
years.....

John Atkinson

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
David Springthorpe wrote:

>Roger Caffin <r.ca...@tpg.com.au>> wrote:
>
> > One well-known Sydney walker is reputed to have
> >climbed Mt Cook in crampons over joggers (or was it DVs?)
>
> Names.....we want names.....was it a a noble event.....?

One-peak Noble??? You must be kidding.

David Killick

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
No cynicism intended, although I accept it does sound that way.

I actually broached the subject with my wife on the weekend. She's been
following this endless thread and sadly has tired of it (I must
perversely admit that I enjoy it immensely and look forward to each time
someone asks the dreaded question.)

Anyway, I told my dear wife I was going to buy a pair of Dunlop Volleys
to take bushwalking. She said she'd would not be seen with me if I was
wearing them. Since we always walk together, I guess I'll have to figure
out some way of becoming a closet DV wearer. Maybe I can wear them under
my boots.

cheers,

Dave.

Roger Caffin wrote:

> David Killick wrote:
> > I reckon the Dunlop Volley Question is one of the imponderables of our
> > time; a matter of personal preference akin to discussions of religion
> > and politics. I enjoy the cut and thrust of the regular endless threads
> > on the subject. It brings warmth to my heart that some people get so
> > much enjoyment from a simple sandshoe.
> Cynic! True...
>
> > Firstly, is it a fair observation that the DV phenomenon seems to be
> > confined to members, ex-members and fellow-travellers of a couple of
> > Sydney bushwalking clubs? Which clubs are these that have alone seen the
> > light?
> Not really. An awful lot of NSW walkers wear DVs and KTs and
> a few reliable brands of joggers (but they are much dearer
> and don't last much longer). It may have spread out from the
> clubs, or it may have been a result of the earlier
> Depression era. I don't know. It has been said that
> Victorians wear boots instead. Another generalisation.
> However, note two points: US Army research shows that 1 kg
> on your feet is equivalent (in fatigue effect) to 7 kg on
> your back; many people have worn DVs and KTs through Nepal,
> including very high. I only put on boots when I had to wear

> crampons. One well-known Sydney walker is reputed to have

> climbed Mt Cook in crampons over joggers (or was it DVs?)
>

> > If Dunlop Volleys are so popular, how come in I've only ever seen two
> > people wearing them in the bush? Maybe I go to different places to the
> > really "serious bushwalking clubs", but the people I run into who claim
> > to be from bushwalking clubs are usually wearing boots. Are they the
> > soft bastards?

Jaf

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
RG. I don't think there have been many cases of that sort of injury.

I think the only thing I've used out of my first aid kit is lip balm and
stingose type cream, but I still carry it. I sometimes ponder the cause of
holes in my gaiters and slashes to my boots that I don't remember happening.
My boots have done more for me than my first aid kit ever has.

Jaf.

Roger Caffin

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
David Killick wrote:
> Anyway, I told my dear wife I was going to buy a pair of Dunlop Volleys
> to take bushwalking. She said she'd would not be seen with me if I was
> wearing them. Since we always walk together, I guess I'll have to figure
> out some way of becoming a closet DV wearer. Maybe I can wear them under
> my boots.

Spats!

Cheers
Roger Caffin