[ The Fires ]

Ian S

Jan 23, 2003, 12:43:16 AM1/23/03
Of interest I hope....................................

All,

FYI - a report from one of the helo drivers in last Saturday's Canberra
fires - sobering stuff.

An item from one of the Helicopter Attack crews involved in the fire.

The 'Cranes' he refers to are the Erickson AirCranes Water Bombers.
Known
as "Elvis"

This gives an interesting insight into the fight.
------

Personal Title
posted 21st January 2003 06:08
--------

Black Sat Fires in Canberra (Air Ops)
For those that are interested just got back from spending the past
four
days working in one of the Air Attack ships on the massive bushfires
burning in the Australian Capital Territory. Below is a list of the
aircraft we had at the Helibase.

2 x S-64E Aircranes (Erickson)
1 x K-Max (Superior Helicopters)
1 x 204 (Heliquip)
1 x 205 (Helipro NZ)
1 x BK-117 (Lifeflight Melbourne)
1 x 500E (Marine Helicopters)
2 x 206L (Helicorp & G & A Helicopters)
1 x EC-120 (Canberra Helicopters) 3 x 206B (Southwest Helicopters,
Unknown)
3 x AS350s (Heli Aust, Rotor Lift)
1 x Seahawk (Royal Australian Navy)
1 x AS350 (Royal Australian Navy)
Basically we were airborne every day from the Friday I got there till
yesterday. The first day we were based at Eurialla Helibase but at
10.0am
on the Sat morning the McKinley fire we were working on got out of
control
and was headed back towards downtown Canberra. The helibase was
evacuated
and all equipment headed for the Nicholl oval which became the Helibase,
at
least so far anyway.
Sat was a day from ####. The fire was burning approx 20km away in the
morning and with the spotting and ferocity of it, caused by 38 deg
Celcius
temps and 50 MPH winds it got up a head of steam. With aircraft
stretched
thin we did what we could but by 2pm things were getting real bad. We
got a
call from one of the other air attacks saying they needed the Crane
around
at Weston Creek as fire was already in the houses (Weston is a suburb of
Canberra City). As we closed in the skies became black as night, the
only
way we could see anything was the brightness created by the burning
hills
and houses around us. It was like going through a tunnel of fire. Words
cant really explain what it was like.
As we took the crane in to find some targets it got even darker. We
were
about 1/4 mile in front of Mike and Jim in the Crane and all they could
see
was our flashing strobe on the tail of the Longranger. Out in the smoke
and
fire were two other aircraft and it was a case of all eyes out the
windows
keeping an eye out. At 2.30pm it was like it was midnight, pitch black
with
an erie red glow.

Fast forwarding and when we finally handed the crane over to Ashley
and
jim in the other air attack machines we took the Kmax and headed for
Duffy
(this was the worst affected suburb losing over 200 houses). We had Mike
in
tow, sitting between our 5 and 6o'clock, only a hundred feet or so above
the houses and at about 50 knots because viz sucked big time. We ended
up
going between tall building in downtown Woden as we inched our way to
Duffy.
Once there it was like a war movie. One out of every ten houses were
still there. It was impossible to work out where to start. Jayson and I
started looking for targets for the Kmax as well as water sources but
Mike
had already decided to pull water out of the swimming pools. Now the
Kmax
is one #### of a machine, with a 100ft long line he was pulling water
out
of a pool behind a house that was already well alight and dropping it on
the neighbours place to try and save that. It was an amazing and
sobering
sight. One old guy waved like mad at us to help as his house was just
starting to burn so we got Mike over pointed out what was needed and
after
about ten loads from the neighbours swimming pool, the house was saved.
Needless to say he was very greatful. >
This was a common scene that afternoon and evening. Again fast
forwarding. We had to bug out about 7.45pm and it was a very sombre mood
with all the crews that night. However the stories were amazing. Our
original helibase at Eurialla was over run by the fire and didnt exist
anymore, nor did the town, all forty houses were gone also.
During one fire front we worked on Rick dropped me off to try and pull
down a fence so that two horses could get out as they were cornered by
fire. Being stuck in the middle of a fireground and relying on the Kmax
and
Tony in the AS350 to keep the flames back with bucket loads of water,
while
trying to rip the fences down, was a very character building moment and
one
I wont forget. These pilots do a #### of a job and for once I am glad
that
I got to experience their handiwork first hand. And yes the horses did
survive.
Hope that gives you all an idea of whats going on with the Canberra
fires
and this is only one of the many fires burning in Australia. Am home
until
Friday and then back over to Canberra for the following four days.
AB
via Ian S...........

wgw...@ozforces.com.au

Jan 23, 2003, 2:08:45 AM1/23/03
Well, I'm stunned those guys were working during the worst of it.
I had no idea it was possible to operate in conditions like those.

I'm in Kambah 1k from where 20 odd homes were destroyed and
at it worst the vis was basically nil, and at my place the conditions were
nowhere near as bad as those areas that were hit hardest.

I've followed the aftermath faily closely and it's the first time I've heard anything
about the guys flying choppers during that time....it's absolutely incredible they
laid it on the line and did.

Whatever they're being paid aint nearly enough...not by a long shot.

Wayne Gill
wgw...@ozforces.com.au

David Elliston

Jan 23, 2003, 6:53:35 AM1/23/03
Ian S wrote:

> Of interest I hope....................................

Indeed.

> All,
>
> FYI - a report from one of the helo drivers in last Saturday's Canberra
> fires - sobering stuff.
>
> An item from one of the Helicopter Attack crews involved in the fire.
>
> The 'Cranes' he refers to are the Erickson AirCranes Water Bombers.
> Known as "Elvis"

Only one of these aircraft is known as "Elvis". Each of them has their own
name, such as "Georgia Peach" and " The Incredible Hulk" etc.

Glenn

Jan 23, 2003, 7:56:33 AM1/23/03
And Elvis was not in the Building. The 2 Skycranes in Canberra were "Georgia
Peach" and the "Incredible Hulk"

"David Elliston" <d...@air.net.au> wrote in message

Paul Blair

Jan 23, 2003, 8:00:16 PM1/23/03

I'll back up what this guy wrote. I was in Holder, next door to Duffy,
with fire everywhere, when a Crane suddenly appeared overhead - taking
a look at my neighbours pool, I think. He tried to take a drink, but
his nozzle was in danger of getting caught in the powerlines.

The helo was bucking and cavorting like a drunken sailor, and alto he
was maybe 200' up, it was hard to see him. What HE could see was
anybody's guess.

I've never seen such courage.

After the firefront passed and things lightened up a bit, all the
flying helos did a great job. There really was no-one else...

Paul Blair

-------------------------------
Paul Blair
pbl...@pcug.org.au

Bevan Noble

Jan 25, 2003, 12:37:17 AM1/25/03
Not long after I heard on ABC radio that all the helos had been
grounded due to the smoke, one of the air cranes came over us
(Stirling / Weston Creek) very slowly, with lights blazing etc.
Have no idea how they knew where they were.

A very impressive effort !!!

Bevan