Apparent death of bikely.com

Simon Naunton

Jul 1, 2011, 4:40:20 AM7/1/11
to auda...@googlegroups.com
Bikely seems to be pretty much dead nowadays and I noticed Bec has started moving to bikeroutetoaster.com...

In january I wrote a script that downloaded the gpx files for all the routes for a specified bikey user. I did this because bikely was flakey and I could almost guarantee it would be down when I needed to look at a route before a ride.

In other words, I have gpx files of the following bikely userid's public routes as they were on 26 Jan 2011, only northern sydney ride organisers I'm afraid:

aeroman
gwarm
ian.garity
lharvey
ramhkd
rickob
walshie

So, if you did not have backups and want to move to from bikely send me an email and I'll send them to you.

Also, if you are at all technically inclined, the script is a bash script which will run on OSX, linux, BSD, cygwin etc... so if you understand this and it might be of use let me know and I'll forward it to you. It will download the gpx files of all your public routes which is a lot quicker than doing it manually ;).

Cheers, Si.

Andrew Priest

Jul 1, 2011, 8:30:17 AM7/1/11
to Simon Naunton, auda...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Bikely servers went down in June but they have posted that new servers are going in, in July so hopefully all well be good in the near futre.

Andrew

On 1 July 2011 16:40, Simon Naunton <snau...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bikely seems to be pretty much dead nowadays and I noticed Bec has started moving to bikeroutetoaster.com...

In january I wrote a script that downloaded the gpx files for all the routes for a specified bikey user. I did this because bikely was flakey and I could almost guarantee it would be down when I needed to look at a route before a ride.

Glen Thompson

Jul 1, 2011, 8:45:24 AM7/1/11
to auda...@googlegroups.com

Bikely has caused me a problem in the last few days, not only being down so often but also failing to save routes (without saying why).  It has worked well in the past, at least as good as MapMyRide.

Glen

David Killick

Jul 3, 2011, 3:06:35 AM7/3/11
to Glen Thompson, auda...@googlegroups.com
Bikely hasn't worked real well for me for a while. Have been using ridewithgps.com, which does good elevation profiles and what appears to be halfway decent automatic cue sheets. I recommend it for a look.

David.

Andrew Priest

Jul 4, 2011, 10:57:29 PM7/4/11
to davidk...@gmail.com, Glen Thompson, auda...@googlegroups.com
Hi David

Thanks for the heads-up on Ride With GPS. Looks promising with the exception of the bike path sides of things which seems undeveloped for Perth at least/

Still it looks good and worth a play with for sure.

Thanks
Andrew

On 3 July 2011 15:06, David Killick <davidk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bikely hasn't worked real well for me for a while. Have been using ridewithgps.com, which does good elevation profiles and what appears to be halfway decent automatic cue sheets. I recommend it for a look.

Glen Thompson

Jul 4, 2011, 11:23:35 PM7/4/11
to auda...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andrew,

Bike paths around Adelaide are the same as for Bikely.  Note you need to click a button to include the bike (or walk) paths.  I found it noticeably different and haven’t quite got used to its quirks yet but at least it works and it saves routes.

Glen

Jul 4, 2011, 11:29:06 PM7/4/11
to Glen Thompson, auda...@googlegroups.com
Hi Glen

Yeah, I jumped the gun with my comments. I had uploaded a route and it was not as detailed re bicycle routes as the mapping part itself is.  Playing with it, it looks good as did autoroute at least some bike paths and the cue sheet looks good.

It does look like I might have to re-build routes previously established (GPX files) to get cue sheets unless there is a trick I am missing?

Andrew

Peter Mathews (Lib)

Jul 5, 2011, 12:01:22 AM7/5/11
to Andrew Priest, davidk...@gmail.com, Glen Thompson, auda...@googlegroups.com
I am a fan of RideWithGPS.  Recently had difficulty loading the whole of a 600 km ride on it and got in touch with them.  They responded quickly, noted that they were aware of the problem, what was causing it and their solution to be in the next release.  Flash has been giving them grief and they are moving away from it.

The cue sheets are not bad out of the box and you can add your own annotations quite easily.

They list recumbent riding as a tag as well.  Gets my vote.

Peter

Peter Mathews
Library Planning Executive
Office of the University Librarian