Re: Toco Hills Rabbi chokes the chicken

1 view
Message has been deleted

Joseph E. Johnston

Jul 12, 2005, 11:28:03 AM7/12/05
"Gary James" <gnja...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:nef7d11kufd86ou5t...@4ax.com...
> "...First, the Rabbi blessed the poor chicken, then kissed a sharp
> blade and clumsily slit the chicken's throat.."
>
> ....and all the kids squealed with delight.
>
> This is barbaric.
>
> Only at atl.general would I have ever learned about what goes on when
> a grocery store lets a Rabbi in the meat department with the live
> chickens. Thanks to kstahl's recent post "Rabbi to the dairy section"
>
> I have been monitoring the Atlanta obituaries in hopes of seeing one
> announce that a Toco Hills shopper has choked on a chicken bone.

I had quite an interesting dream last night. I dreamt that I logged onto
atl.general and saw a post from that one trick pony Gary James that wasn't
redolent with anti-Semitism!

Dreams are so foolish;-)

Joe

kstahl

Jul 12, 2005, 11:55:47 AM7/12/05
Gary James wrote:

> "...First, the Rabbi blessed the poor chicken, then kissed a sharp
> blade and clumsily slit the chicken's throat.."
>
> ....and all the kids squealed with delight.
>
> This is barbaric.
>
> Only at atl.general would I have ever learned about what goes on when
> a grocery store lets a Rabbi in the meat department with the live
> chickens. Thanks to kstahl's recent post "Rabbi to the dairy section"
>
> I have been monitoring the Atlanta obituaries in hopes of seeing one
> announce that a Toco Hills shopper has choked on a chicken bone.

I guess it is all relative. Have you seen how chickens are
kill in the plants where they kill thousands every day?

The chicken is strung up upside down and then as the
assembly line moves along the neck is caught in a device and
the head is then pulled from the neck.

The other method that seems to be popular is having the
assembly line plunge the live chicken into huge troughs of
boiling water with an electric charge running through it.

It should also be noted that chickens are exempt from the
Humane Methods of Livestock Slaughter 7USC 1901-1907

It should also be noted that much of the chicken that is
used for things like soup or other uses where whole chicken
parts are not used, the source is often laying hens who have
passed their usefulness in laying eggs. Many of these
chickens spend most of their lives in small cages that
restrict their movements.

So, perhaps the Jewish method is barbaric, but most of the
chicken one can buy in stores is the result of barbaric
practices.

--
Blogging at http://HexagonalPeg.blogspot.com

whit

Jul 12, 2005, 12:59:19 PM7/12/05
KennyKornholer likes putting live
chickens up his ass. When the chicken
runs into the gerbil it tickles him.

Message has been deleted

Joseph E. Johnston

Jul 12, 2005, 4:32:33 PM7/12/05

> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:28:03 -0400, "Joseph E. Johnston"
> <fightinjoe@rebnet> wrote:

> I also had a dream. I dreamed that I was going to learn the secret of
> why people with handles such as "Joseph E. Johnson" are so Pro-Semite.
> And it was also going to reveal to me the meaning of the expression
> "Anti-semite".

Your search is ended, pilgrim. In common usage in our culture,
"antisemitism" refers to hatred of or hostility toward Jews. Check here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Semitism

I'm not "pro-semite" as you say-- I have no special feelings about Jews one
way or the other. But I am struck by your incessant inappropriate diatribes
against Jews or anything Jewish. It seems to be the main theme you originate
posts on. And when you respond to other people's posts, most times you
manage to find a way to twist whatever the topic is into some anti-Jewish
comment.

You're a narrow minded, mean spirited bigot and your spew is offensive,
that's all;-)

Joe

Pooty Lizard

Jul 12, 2005, 5:33:49 PM7/12/05

"Joseph E. Johnston" <fightinjoe@rebnet> wrote in message

> You're a narrow minded, mean spirited bigot and your spew is offensive,
> that's all;-)
>
> Joe

That's the compassion the left possesses that the right doesn't have.

Valeria Palmer

Jul 12, 2005, 8:26:50 PM7/12/05
Besides, there is a rationale for a rabbi to teach the rudiments of
kosher slaughter - I believe that in the absence of an ordained rabbi
that any adult Jewish male can act as priest for his family. Although I
suspect many modern Jews would resort to vegetarianism first ....
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Rus...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2005, 9:20:53 AM7/16/05
Gary you call this process barbaric. I have to disagree. As a young boy
I spent many summers on my uncle's farm and saw first hand how animals
were slaughtered. Many times I witnessed my uncle select a chicken for
dinner. He would grab the chicken by the throat with his right hand,
then put one of the chicken's legs between his little finger and ring
finger and the other leg between his forefinger and ring finger of his
left hand. He would then bend the chicken's neck back with his thumb
until the bird was basically all balled up. He would then walk toward
the house with the bird still balled up and by time he got to the porch
the chicken was pretty much passed out. From there it was a simple
matter of releasing the chicken's head from his thumb and before the
bird had a chance of taking a good breath the butchering knife had done
it's trick. The bird was then dunked in a pot of boiling water so the
feathers could be removed easier and dinner was on its way.

It wasn't barbaric to me. Going hungry with a yard full of chickens is
much worse in my opinion.

Now if you want to talk brutal, lets talk about slaughering a hog.
There is just no easy way to accomplish that task, but then again,
Rabbis don't have to worry too much about that.

Valeria Palmer

Jul 16, 2005, 11:40:08 AM7/16/05
There's no issue of glorifying God when performing kosher slaughter.
The kosher laws require that God be thanked before the animal is
slaughtered, that the blood be drained, and various standards of
cleanliness be adhered to in the process. It has no comparison to your
example.
You're really a silly bigot, you know? I'm a WASP and and Episcopalian
who is keenly aware that my Savior was Jewish.

Gary James wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:26:50 GMT, Valeria Palmer
> <valeri...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>Besides, there is a rationale for a rabbi to teach the rudiments of
>>kosher slaughter - I believe that in the absence of an ordained rabbi
>>that any adult Jewish male can act as priest for his family. Although I
>>suspect many modern Jews would resort to vegetarianism first ....
>

> Back in the old days, a lazy redneck would walk outside his house in
> Fulton county and wring a chicken's neck. He'd watch the chicken
> thresh around the yard for an hour, and then when it finally died,
> he'd eat it for supper. But even he made no pretense that he was
> doing it to glorify g-d. He was simply mean as hell. As his kids
> grew up, got educated and started making a living wage, they refused
> to perpetuate such a barbaric and filthy custom.
>
> I wonder why other cultures don't mature with time ?

Valeria Palmer

Jul 16, 2005, 11:41:32 AM7/16/05
No one is slaughtering chickens in Atlanta grocery stores, you idjit -
for starters, no live animals are permitted in grocery stores by state
regulation

Gary James wrote:

> .
> When chicks are killed in slaughter houses, they aren't tormented
> just a few feet from innocent Southern children, as they are in
> Atlanta super markets. I have no problem with people practicing their
> heathen rituals either on the Levant or in NYC.

dj

Jul 16, 2005, 12:08:21 PM7/16/05

"Valeria Palmer" <valeri...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> No one is slaughtering chickens in Atlanta grocery stores, you idjit - for
> starters, no live animals are permitted in grocery stores by state
> regulation

Errrrr, there is a law which permits seeing-eye dogs to go virtually
anywhere. Not intended to impugn you, as it was probably just an
simple oversight on your part.

dj

dj

Jul 16, 2005, 12:13:36 PM7/16/05

> You're really a silly bigot, you know? I'm a WASP and and Episcopalian
> who is keenly aware that my Savior was Jewish.

Don't see many Episcopalians here in the deep South. What is the status
on the Episcopalian schism, concerning female priests and homosexual
marriage? Last I heard, everyone had caved to the liberal wackos and
political correctness? Uncharacteristically, the liberal media seems to
have lost interest in the matter.

dj

Andy Walton

Jul 16, 2005, 12:53:10 PM7/16/05
In article <dbbbfr$kls$0...@pita.alt.net>, dj <d...@djspamdjss.com> wrote:

> "Valeria Palmer" <valeri...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >
> > You're really a silly bigot, you know? I'm a WASP and and Episcopalian
> > who is keenly aware that my Savior was Jewish.
> >

> Don't see many Episcopalians here in the deep South.

I know of four large congregations in Atlanta -- St. Luke's on
Peachtree, All Saints on Spring over near the Tech campus, Church of
the Epiphany at Ponce and East Lake, and St. Philip's at Peachtree and
E. Andrews. The last of those is the big cathedral that gave that
intersection the nickname "Jesus Junction." I'm sure there are other
smaller ones.

Episcopalians don't have the numbers that Baptists, Presbyterians and
Methodists do, but there are a fair few. If you want a real challenge,
try finding a Lutheran in the South. There are so few that Atlanta is
part of the Missouri synod because it didn't make sense to set up shop
in the Southeast.

> What is the status
> on the Episcopalian schism, concerning female priests and homosexual
> marriage?

St. Philip's is the most conservative of the Atlanta congregations, but
it's still pretty liberal. I wouldn't expect any of the large Atlanta
churches to weigh in with the conservatives.

--
"I think the development of an artificial intellect could have a tremendous
impact on society. It may also help me sell more of my roll-up plastic

Message has been deleted

kstahl

Jul 16, 2005, 3:35:08 PM7/16/05
Valeria Palmer wrote:
> There's no issue of glorifying God when performing kosher slaughter. The
> kosher laws require that God be thanked before the animal is
> slaughtered, that the blood be drained, and various standards of
> cleanliness be adhered to in the process. It has no comparison to your
> example.
> You're really a silly bigot, you know? I'm a WASP and and Episcopalian
> who is keenly aware that my Savior was Jewish.

In eastern religious thought the person doing the slaughter
must ask forgiveness of the animal before killing it. I'm
guessing that the animal would probably rather forgo the
honor, but that's another story.

kstahl

Jul 16, 2005, 3:37:05 PM7/16/05
Valeria Palmer wrote:

> No one is slaughtering chickens in Atlanta grocery stores, you idjit -
> for starters, no live animals are permitted in grocery stores by state
> regulation

But wouldn't that effectively eliminate most people who
frequent Buckhead in the evenings?

Valeria Palmer

Jul 16, 2005, 4:50:19 PM7/16/05
OK, true enough. Service animals are permitted to go anywhere, but
there are certainly no grocery stores where slaughtering of any sort is
taking place - except perhaps those places where they will steam your
lobster for you ....

Valeria Palmer

Jul 16, 2005, 5:00:21 PM7/16/05
You don't think there's a lot of us down here in the South? Heh. Keep
your eyes open. One cathedral, at least 20 largish congregations in the
greater metro and 93 in North GA ..... we're not as thin on the ground
as Unitarians or Quakers or the various Orthodox sects by any means.

The female priest stuff wore off a long time ago. There's little or no
hoorah about homosexual marriage, but the gay bish is a fairly divisive
issue that - fortunately - hasn't caused any huge ruptures yet.

Valeria Palmer

Jul 16, 2005, 5:05:23 PM7/16/05
those are just a very few. There's also:

Absalom Jones Center
807 Fair St., Atlanta, GA 30314

Church of the Atonement
4945 High Point Road, Atlanta, GA 30342

Emmaus House
1017 Hank Aaron Drive, Atlanta, GA 30315

Emory Episcopal Center
1227 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30307

Georgia Tech / Georgia State University Center
634 West Peachtree St., Atlanta, GA 30308

Church of the Holy Comforter
737 Woodland Ave., Atlanta, GA 30316

Holy Innocents' Church
805 Mt. Vernon Highway, Atlanta, GA 30327

Church of the Incarnation
2407 Cascade Road, Atlanta, GA 30311

Church of Our Saviour
1068 North Highland Ave., Atlanta, GA 30306

St. Anne's Church
3098 St. Anne's Lane (at Moore's Mill Road), Atlanta, GA 30327

St. Bartholomew's Church
1790 LaVista Road, Atlanta, GA 30329

St. Bede's Church
2601 Henderson Mill Road, Atlanta, GA 30345

St. Dunstan's Church
4393 Garmon Road, Atlanta, GA 30327

St. Martin in the Fields Church
3110 Ashford Dunwoody Road, Atlanta, GA 30319

St. Patrick's Church
4755 North Peachtree Road, Atlanta, GA 30338

St. Paul's Church
306 Peyton Road, Atlanta, GA 30311

and that's just the basic city and inner 'burbs. Pleant in the suburbs
and exurbs.

Rus...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2005, 7:37:50 PM7/16/05
>> If you want a real challenge,
try finding a Lutheran in the South. There are so few that Atlanta is
part of the Missouri synod because it didn't make sense to set up shop
in the Southeast. <<

Andy you missed out on this one.There are plenty of Lutherans in the
south and the organizing body is the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church
of America) with it's headquarters in downtown Atlanta. The Missouri
Synod has a few chuches in the area but they aren't growing because
they don't believe women should have a leadership role in the church.

Lutheran churches don't get a lot of attention because most of them
prefer to remain small with about 300 members in start contrast to the
mega churches a lot of people are accustomed to.

If you haven't guessed yet I am a Lutheran and I would invite you to
visit a Lutheran church to see what they are all about. I would bet you
will realize that you have never met a congregation of more unassuming
people in your life. You will find a group of people that feel a need
to be close to Christ but do not want a church dictating how they live
their life.

/end preaching

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jim

Jul 16, 2005, 7:30:09 AM7/16/05
If he choked the chicken that's one thing, but if he had flogged his log,
that would have been unforgivable.
Message has been deleted

kstahl

Jul 18, 2005, 8:06:03 AM7/18/05
Jim wrote:

> If he choked the chicken that's one thing, but if he had flogged his log,
> that would have been unforgivable.

But what if he only spanked the monkey!

Joseph E. Johnston

Jul 18, 2005, 10:51:43 AM7/18/05
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:32:33 -0400, "Joseph E. Johnston"

> <fightinjoe@rebnet> wrote:
>

>>"Gary James" <gnja...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:28:03 -0400, "Joseph E. Johnston"
>>> <fightinjoe@rebnet> wrote:
>>
>>> I also had a dream. I dreamed that I was going to learn the secret of
>>> why people with handles such as "Joseph E. Johnson" are so Pro-Semite.
>>> And it was also going to reveal to me the meaning of the expression
>>> "Anti-semite".
>>

>>Your search is ended, pilgrim. In common usage in our culture,
>>"antisemitism" refers to hatred of or hostility toward Jews. Check here:
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Semitism
>>
>>I'm not "pro-semite" as you say-- I have no special feelings about Jews
>>one
>>way or the other. But I am struck by your incessant inappropriate
>>diatribes
>>against Jews or anything Jewish. It seems to be the main theme you
>>originate
>>posts on. And when you respond to other people's posts, most times you
>>manage to find a way to twist whatever the topic is into some anti-Jewish
>>comment.
>>
>>You're a narrow minded, mean spirited bigot and your spew is offensive,
>>that's all;-)
>>
>>Joe
>
> Whatever you say, Joe. Like most superior people, you are all love
> and light. So I'll yield to you because you are a *good* person.
>
> I have found that the world is divided into two kinds of humans: Good
> people and bad people. It's the job of the "good people" to decide
> who is who. And y'all seem to stay pretty busy.

Heh heh, not surprisingly, you got that all wrong too sweetie. I'm a mean,
bad ass MF-- a trained hunter/killer, courtesy of the United States
Government.

I had my share of candy ass bully-boy wannabees like you in the company I
commanded-- make believe tough guys who liked to gang up and pick on others.
It always did my heart good to make sure that they learned some respect for
other people-- though it usually took tearing them a new one before they got
the message and changed their behavior.

It would be a real eye opener for you to spend some time around one group of
Jews--- Israeli soldiers. They're the toughest people I've ever served with
(especially the women). I wonder if you'd make your school boy pissy-ass
anti Semitic remarks around them;-)

Joe

Message has been deleted

KStahl

Jul 18, 2005, 6:08:37 PM7/18/05
Gary James wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 08:06:03 -0400, kstahl <kts...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Jim wrote:
>>

>>>If he choked the chicken that's one thing, but if he had flogged his log,
>>>that would have been unforgivable.
>>
>>But what if he only spanked the monkey!
>

> I wonder if "spank the monkey" is Hebrew ? Couldn't be Yiddish
> because yiddish is low German and Germans wouldn't know a monkey from
> a zebra.
>
> Except, of course, for Governor Schwartzeneggers friends.

Except Schwartzenegger is Austrian. Haven't you noticed that
he sounds just like the male lead (i.e. the father) in the
movie "The Sound of Music"?

In any case, I think "spank the monkey" is pure american.
Goodness knows, there are enough people doing it.

Message has been deleted

KStahl

Jul 18, 2005, 10:19:41 PM7/18/05
Gary James wrote:

>>In any case, I think "spank the monkey" is pure american.
>>Goodness knows, there are enough people doing it.
>

> You speak as one divorced :-)

Well, it is far cheaper, that's for sure.

kstahl

Jul 16, 2005, 10:24:12 AM7/16/05
Rus...@gmail.com wrote:

But, did you get the wish-bone?