How to type with a mouse.

1 view

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jan 16, 2004, 2:09:30 AM1/16/04
Keyboard is a no show?

This is rare and this is the answer. Open a file, or a file name with
the mouse. Copy command lines or any text one desperately has to have.
Highlight, cut/copy, paste.

You can access the a: drive and type what is needed on another PC to
copy and paste via the mouse. An extremely rare disease of the PC,
which is why I'm putting the word out.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER
(Just try fixing anything w/out a keyboard. ONE time. Just once. You
learn the incredible value of this tip. That one other person this year
is welcome -It's all easy when you see the answers :-)

kstahl

Jan 16, 2004, 8:24:29 AM1/16/04
TheNIGHTCRAWLER wrote:

> Keyboard is a no show?
>
> This is rare and this is the answer. Open a file, or a file name with
> the mouse. Copy command lines or any text one desperately has to have.
> Highlight, cut/copy, paste.
>
> You can access the a: drive and type what is needed on another PC to
> copy and paste via the mouse. An extremely rare disease of the PC,
> which is why I'm putting the word out.

Why not just open the text document and then use the charmap
utility to copy one character at a time to the clipboard and then
into the document? Tedious, but it gets the job done.

TV Slug

Jan 16, 2004, 12:48:10 PM1/16/04

"TheNIGHTCRAWLER" <sirn...@flash.net> wrote in message

Or click CHARMAP.EXE in your Windows directory. It gives you a virtual
keyboard to "mouse type" whatever you need, then copy and paste as above.

LarryLamb

Jan 16, 2004, 2:44:45 PM1/16/04

"TheNIGHTCRAWLER" <sirn...@flash.net> wrote in message

> Keyboard is a no show?
>
> This is rare and this is the answer. Open a file, or a file name with
> the mouse. Copy command lines or any text one desperately has to have.
> Highlight, cut/copy, paste.
>
> You can access the a: drive and type what is needed on another PC to
> copy and paste via the mouse. An extremely rare disease of the PC,
> which is why I'm putting the word out.

Just one of XP's hidden features... Type "osk" and up pops a virtual
on-screen keyboard. It is remarkably functional with three typing modes.

By default, you can use the mouse to pointer and button to select
characters but, if you go to the keyboard's Setting menu and click Typing
Mode, you can choose the "Hover" method, whereby characters are selected
simply by pointing at them with the mouse, or you can use a joystick or
"hot keys" to type.

DeMoN LaG

Jan 16, 2004, 4:28:42 PM1/16/04
sirn...@flash.net (TheNIGHTCRAWLER) wrote in news:40078937.396690
@news.prodigy.net:

> TheNIGHTCRAWLER
> (Just try fixing anything w/out a keyboard. ONE time. Just once. You
> learn the incredible value of this tip. That one other person this year
> is welcome -It's all easy when you see the answers :-)

This is the most cumbersome and annoying idea to fix a machine. Have you
ever clicked Start, Programs, Accessories, Accessibility, OnScreen
Keyboard? Way way easier.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

kstahl

Jan 16, 2004, 8:05:22 PM1/16/04
LarryLamb wrote:

Ah, but if osk is not on the start menu and the keyboard is dead,
the only way to invoke it is to either navigate to the executable
using explorer.

DeMoN LaG

Jan 16, 2004, 11:57:34 PM1/16/04
kstahl <kts...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:MJSdnbjKg9j...@comcast.com:

> Ah, but if osk is not on the start menu and the keyboard is dead,
> the only way to invoke it is to either navigate to the executable
> using explorer.

Which would still be easier to do than to continue moving a floppy disk
back and forth between machines changing the file name or writing the
commands into the text file to copy and paste line by line, IMHO

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jan 17, 2004, 4:00:27 AM1/17/04
kstahl <kts...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Just type it into the run... command line, right :-)

While I've seen it before, never heard anything about it. I just
verified the existence of charmap.exe on the system though.

*sigh* just typed it in on the command line. Real easy if you've got a
keyboard!

NONoNOnoNOOOOOOO.... anythingggg, but the keyboard!!!!! :-)

Of notable interest is that a USB keyboard works on modern systems
without the operating system. If the boot is interrupted before the OS
loads... the keyboard works. This is of extreme interest when the
current OS has a corrupted USB Hub, deciding to ignore the USB ports on
said system.

I do love to hate Windows.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jan 17, 2004, 4:49:43 AM1/17/04
DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>kstahl <kts...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:MJSdnbjKg9j...@comcast.com:
>
>> Ah, but if osk is not on the start menu and the keyboard is dead,
>> the only way to invoke it is to either navigate to the executable
>> using explorer.
>>

>Which would still be easier to do than to continue moving a floppy disk
>back and forth between machines changing the file name or writing the
>commands into the text file to copy and paste line by line, IMHO

Must admit, very cool features. Trust me. It's like being blind. I
don't know how many times I went for the keys when they weren't there in
what should have been a 5 minute fix.

All emergency access and hidden, forgotten by most... just not there.
No command line, nothing. Nothingness. DOS prompt, gone.

An eerie thing. Ghost keyboard syndrome :-)

Ended up copying a filename on top of the win.com file name in order to
allow a system overwrite that restored the USB and keyboard.

Troubleshooting a PC w/out a keyboard is the worst. I've noted the
locations of both executables mentioned in this post. My future thanks,
just in case.

NC
(For all the blind people in the world... I felt a long moment of your
grief. Renaming a single file. How do ya do that simplest of things
w/out a keyboard? -And no, delete doesn't work for win.com)

DeMoN LaG

Jan 17, 2004, 11:40:34 AM1/17/04
sirn...@flash.net (TheNIGHTCRAWLER) wrote in news:4008fe3b.1098960
@news.prodigy.net:

> (For all the blind people in the world... I felt a long moment of your
> grief. Renaming a single file. How do ya do that simplest of things
> w/out a keyboard? -And no, delete doesn't work for win.com)

Why do blind people not have keyboards?

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jan 18, 2004, 6:16:02 AM1/18/04
DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>sirn...@flash.net (TheNIGHTCRAWLER) wrote in news:4008fe3b.1098960
>@news.prodigy.net:
>
>> (For all the blind people in the world... I felt a long moment of your
>> grief. Renaming a single file. How do ya do that simplest of things
>> w/out a keyboard? -And no, delete doesn't work for win.com)
>>

>Why do blind people not have keyboards?

Problems setting them up?

NC
(A corporate keyboard driver on IRQ1. First we'll need a committee...)

http://www.blindprogramming.com/
No programs. Click here to learn more.

http://cgi.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9811/06/blindprog.idg/
newsie: A tiny field, Cure or adapt, tis the question.

http://www.temple.edu/instituteondisabilities/atlend/eval.html
This place gets my e-mail. Functional and useful, I could work there.