What is Christian about Santa?

ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com

<ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com>
Dec 20, 2010, 6:41:11 PM12/20/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Muslim immigrants get Santa appearance cancelled in St. Peter,
Minnesota.
http://gatewaypundit.rightnetwork.com/2010/12/muslim-immigrants-get-santa-cancelled-in-minnesota/

What does Santa say to indicate that he has anything to do with
Christianity? Is "ho ho ho" Christian? Is it possible for there to be
such a thing as a Holiday Santa rather than a Christian Santa?

Tracey Maddow

<tracey.maddow101@gmail.com>
Dec 20, 2010, 8:32:14 PM12/20/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Dec 20, 3:41 pm, "ranjit_math...@yahoo.com"
<ranjit_math...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Muslim immigrants get Santa appearance cancelled in St. Peter,
> Minnesota.http://gatewaypundit.rightnetwork.com/2010/12/muslim-immigrants-get-s...
>
> What does Santa say to indicate that he has anything to do with
> Christianity? Is "ho ho ho" Christian? Is it possible for there to be
> such a thing as a Holiday Santa rather than a Christian Santa?

I like what Dennis Jackson said as follows:

Jackson said he’s played Santa with children from other cultures
before and they were fully comfortable with him. He said it’s their
parents who are being unreasonable.

“They’re not respecting the majority,” he said. “My feeling is
(objecting parents) can take their kids out of class for half an hour
and let the other kids enjoy it. They should sacrifice, not rule.”

Brock

<brockorgan@gmail.com>
Dec 20, 2010, 10:54:24 PM12/20/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Dec 20, 6:41 pm, "ranjit_math...@yahoo.com"
<ranjit_math...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What is Christian about Santa?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

Regards,

Brock

ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com

<ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com>
Dec 20, 2010, 11:23:35 PM12/20/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Not the same as Santa since there's no Mrs. Klaas and SInterklaas
doesn't have a workshop staffed by elves or a sleigh drawn by
reindeer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus

ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com

<ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com>
Dec 20, 2010, 11:25:03 PM12/20/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

Brock Organ

<brockorgan@gmail.com>
Dec 21, 2010, 11:40:24 AM12/21/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:23 PM, ranjit_...@yahoo.com
<ranjit_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Dec 20, 10:54 pm, Brock <brockor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 20, 6:41 pm, "ranjit_math...@yahoo.com" <ranjit_math...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > What is Christian about Santa?
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas
>
> Not the same as Santa since there's no Mrs. Klaas and SInterklaas
> doesn't have a workshop staffed by elves or a sleigh drawn by
> reindeer.

The analysis seems simplistic and inadequate:

"Sinterklaas is the basis of the mythical holiday figure of Santa
Claus in the United States and Canada."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

Regards,

Brock

zencycle

<zencycle@bikerider.com>
Dec 21, 2010, 11:55:11 AM12/21/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
n Dec 21, 11:40 am, Brock Organ <brockor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:23 PM, ranjit_math...@yahoo.com
>
> > Not the same as Santa since there's no Mrs. Klaas and SInterklaas
> > doesn't have a workshop staffed by elves or a sleigh drawn by
> > reindeer.
>
> The analysis seems simplistic and inadequate:
>
> "Sinterklaas is the basis of the mythical holiday figure of Santa
> Claus in the United States and Canada."

and, as usual, brock's scope of reference extends no further than
christian dogma. From the wiki article he referenced:

"Since some elements of the Sinterklaas celebration are unrelated to
Christianity, there are theories regarding the pagan origins of
various customs of the holiday stemming from areas where the Germanic
peoples were Christianized and retained elements of their indigenous
traditions, surviving in various forms into modern depictions of
Sinterklaas. Non-Christian elements in Sinterklaas that arguably could
have been of pagan origin:

* Sinterklaas rides the roof tops with his white horse Amerigo;
Odin rides the sky with his gray horse Sleipnir.
* Sinterklaas and Odin are both depicted with a long beard.
* Sinterklaas has a staff and mischievous helpers with black
faces; Odin has a spear and black ravens as his attributes.[1]
* It has been also claimed that the tradition of children placing
their boots filled with carrots, straw or sugar near the chimney for
the White horse of Sinterklaas goes back to pre-Christian North
Western Europe, where children would place their boots near the
chimney for Odin's flying horse, Sleipnir, to eat."

Not to mention the celebrations were set to coincide with the pagan
celebration of the winter solstice, not the birth of christ.

Tracey Maddow

<tracey.maddow101@gmail.com>
Dec 21, 2010, 12:11:05 PM12/21/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Dec 20, 8:23 pm, "ranjit_math...@yahoo.com"
Here's the real and true story of the real Santa Claus.

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=38

zencycle

<zencycle@bikerider.com>
Dec 21, 2010, 12:27:44 PM12/21/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Dec 21, 12:11 pm, Tracey Maddow <tracey.maddow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's the real and true story of the real Santa Claus.
>
> http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=38

This one's better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmnFMNM1xMA&feature=related

unfortunately _not_ the original due to licensing issues

flying gorilla

<ryan.klemek@gmail.com>
Dec 21, 2010, 12:28:52 PM12/21/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Santa is white and obese. What could be more Christian than that?

<ranjit_math...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Muslim immigrants get Santa appearance cancelled in St. Peter,
> Minnesota.http://gatewaypundit.rightnetwork.com/2010/12/muslim-immigrants-get-s...

Brock Organ

<brockorgan@gmail.com>
Dec 21, 2010, 2:14:11 PM12/21/10
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM, zencycle <zenc...@bikerider.com> wrote:
> n Dec 21, 11:40 am, Brock Organ <brockor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:23 PM, ranjit_math...@yahoo.com
>>
>> > Not the same as Santa since there's no Mrs. Klaas and SInterklaas
>> > doesn't have a workshop staffed by elves or a sleigh drawn by
>> > reindeer.
>>
>> The analysis seems simplistic and inadequate:
>>
>> "Sinterklaas is the basis of the mythical holiday figure of Santa
>> Claus in the United States and Canada."
>
> and, as usual, brock's scope of reference extends no further than
> christian dogma.

Actually, the limitations of ranjit's simplistic analysis are
independent of my position. :)

Regards,

Brock

Answer_42

<ipu.believer@gmail.com>
Dec 21, 2010, 3:52:42 PM12/21/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

> > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas
>
> > Not the same as Santa since there's no Mrs. Klaas and SInterklaas
> > doesn't have a workshop staffed by elves or a sleigh drawn by
> > reindeer.
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus
>
> Here's the real and true story of the real Santa Claus.

Riiiiiiggggggghhhhttt... all true stuff...
____________________________________
Beliefs are what divide people. Doubt unites them.
-- Peter Ustinov

zencycle

<zencycle@bikerider.com>
Dec 21, 2010, 4:18:52 PM12/21/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Dec 21, 2:14 pm, Brock Organ <brockor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > and, as usual, brock's scope of reference extends no further than
> > christian dogma.
>
> Actually, the limitations of ranjit's simplistic analysis are
> independent of my position. :)

and it's a good thing, since your position is limited in it's scope by
the limitations of your knowledge (intentional exclusion of
information that doesn't fit your personal workld view). Ranjits
analysis is a wholly inclusive study compared to your narrow
veiwpoint.

Brock Organ

<brockorgan@gmail.com>
Dec 21, 2010, 6:15:30 PM12/21/10
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 4:18 PM, zencycle <zenc...@bikerider.com> wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2:14 pm, Brock Organ <brockor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > and, as usual, brock's scope of reference extends no further than
>> > christian dogma.
>>
>> Actually, the limitations of ranjit's simplistic analysis are
>> independent of my position. :)
>
> and it's a good thing, since your position is limited in it's scope by
> the limitations of your knowledge

Not true, the objective truth of the Bible is independent of my
beliefs/knowledge of it.

Regards,

Brock

Bob T.

<bob@synapse-cs.com>
Dec 21, 2010, 6:35:38 PM12/21/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Dec 21, 3:15 pm, Brock Organ <brockor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Actually, the limitations of ranjit's simplistic analysis are
> >> independent of my position. :)
>
> > and it's a good thing, since your position is limited in it's scope by
> > the limitations of your knowledge
>
> Not true, the objective truth of the Bible is independent of my
> beliefs/knowledge of it.

Indeed. Similarly, the objective truth of the Story of O is
independent of your beliefs/knowledge of it.

- Bob T

> Regards,
>
> Brock

ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com

<ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com>
Dec 21, 2010, 10:40:42 PM12/21/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Dec 21, 11:40 am, Brock Organ <brockor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:23 PM, ranjit_math...@yahoo.com
>
> <ranjit_math...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas
>
> > Not the same as Santa since there's no Mrs. Klaas and SInterklaas
> > doesn't have a workshop staffed by elves or a sleigh drawn by
> > reindeer.
>
> The analysis seems simplistic and inadequate:
>
> "Sinterklaas is the basis of the mythical holiday figure of Santa
> Claus in the United States and Canada."
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

By the same line of reasoning, the pagan god El with his 70 sons is
the basis for the monotheist God El.
http://www.google.com/search?q=pagan+ugarit+el&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

> Regards,
> Brock

Brock Organ

<brockorgan@gmail.com>
Dec 22, 2010, 11:34:08 AM12/22/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com

That wouldn't be my testimony; You asked titularly:

> What is Christian about Santa?

I was pleased to provide a link to specific information in response,
under the premise that you were possibly interested in the answer.

Regards,

Brock

ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com

<ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com>
Dec 22, 2010, 12:59:57 PM12/22/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Dec 22, 11:34 am, Brock Organ <brockor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 10:40 PM, ranjit_math...@yahoo.com <ranjit_math...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 21, 11:40 am, Brock Organ <brockor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The analysis seems simplistic and inadequate:
>
> >> "Sinterklaas is the basis of the mythical holiday figure of Santa
> >> Claus in the United States and Canada."
> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas
>
> > By the same line of reasoning, the pagan god El with his 70 sons is
> > the basis for the monotheist God El.
> >http://www.google.com/search?q=pagan+ugarit+el&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t...
>
> That wouldn't be my testimony;  You asked titularly:
>
> > What is Christian about Santa?
>
> I was pleased to provide a link to specific information in response,
> under the premise that you were possibly interested in the answer.

I provided you a link to a body of information similar to what you
provided, under the premise that you were possibly interested in it.

> Regards,
> Brock

Brock Organ

<brockorgan@gmail.com>
Dec 22, 2010, 3:38:55 PM12/22/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com

Consider your extrapolation isn't relevant to your titular topic.

Regards,

Brock

Joe

<jfg105@gmail.com>
Dec 22, 2010, 3:41:22 PM12/22/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Good going, Tracey!!! Happy Christmas!

On Dec 21, 12:11 pm, Tracey Maddow <tracey.maddow...@gmail.com> wrote:

zencycle

<zencycle@bikerider.com>
Dec 22, 2010, 3:43:54 PM12/22/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Dec 21, 6:15 pm, Brock Organ <brockor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > and it's a good thing, since your position is limited in it's scope by
> > the limitations of your knowledge
>
> Not true, the objective truth of the Bible is independent of my
> beliefs/knowledge of it.

And it logically follows that the knowledge contained in the bible is
purposefully narrow

Brock Organ

<brockorgan@gmail.com>
Dec 22, 2010, 4:29:21 PM12/22/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com

Or alternatively, that humankind is not the measure of all things.

Regards,

Brock

zencycle

<zencycle@bikerider.com>
Dec 22, 2010, 4:41:27 PM12/22/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Dec 22, 4:29 pm, Brock Organ <brockor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Not true, the objective truth of the Bible is independent of my
> >> beliefs/knowledge of it.
>
> > And it logically follows that the knowledge contained in the bible is
> > purposefully narrow
>
> Or alternatively, that humankind is not the measure of all things.

And, since man wrote the bible, the bible is not the measure of all
things

Brock Organ

<brockorgan@gmail.com>
Dec 22, 2010, 4:44:42 PM12/22/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com

I consider alternatively, as the Statement notes:

"We affirm that what Scripture says, God says. May He be glorified.
Amen and Amen."

http://www.bible-researcher.com/chicago1.html

Regards,

Brock

Bob T.

<bob@synapse-cs.com>
Dec 22, 2010, 5:39:35 PM12/22/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Dec 22, 1:44 pm, Brock Organ <brockor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 4:41 PM, zencycle <zency...@bikerider.com> wrote:

> >> Or alternatively, that humankind is not the measure of all things.
>
> > And, since man wrote the bible, the bible is not the measure of all
> > things
>
> I consider alternatively, as the Statement notes:

You consider unwisely.

- Bob T

> "We affirm that what Scripture says, God says. May He be glorified.
> Amen and Amen."
>
> http://www.bible-researcher.com/chicago1.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Brock- Hide quoted text -

ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com

<ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com>
Dec 23, 2010, 11:51:03 AM12/23/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Dec 22, 3:38 pm, Brock Organ <brockor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 12:59 PM, ranjit_math...@yahoo.com
True, but it is relevant to your extrapolation since it is similar to
your extrapolation.

Now, check this out:
If we’re all so serious about resisting the war on Christmas, perhaps
we should take a page from the Protestant reformers who banished the
Dutch deity Sinterklaas from England, replacing him with the Christ
Child (or “Christkindl,” which, when the pagans reinstated Santa much
later, explains the English corruption “Kris Kringle”).
http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/ReaderComments/?ContainerID=1125278

> Regards,
> Brock

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Dec 23, 2010, 12:18:05 PM12/23/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com
Maybe it would be even better if we realized that the baby we supposedly look at in a manger
is actually the Jesus who is sitting at the right hand of God Almighty, judging the quick
and the dead at this very hour.
Jesus is eternal, he only was man in order to complete God's work on earth of
redeeming mankind.

> Regards,
> Brock

zencycle

<zencycle@bikerider.com>
Dec 23, 2010, 2:31:57 PM12/23/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Dec 22, 5:39 pm, "Bob T." <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote:
> On Dec 22, 1:44 pm, Brock Organ <brockor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I consider alternatively, as the Statement notes:
>
> You consider unwisely.

And at his own peril!

ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com

<ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com>
Dec 23, 2010, 3:00:08 PM12/23/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Dec 23, 12:18 pm, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe it would be even better if we realized that the baby we supposedly
> look at in a manger is actually the Jesus who is sitting at the right hand
> of God Almighty, judging the quick and the dead at this very hour.

So, why do we build only models of mangers? Why not build models of
God with a right hand and Jesus sitting next to his right hand?

> Jesus is eternal,

If Jesus existed before he was born, why did no one worship him before
he was born? If Jesus didn't exist before he was born, then what do
you mean by calling him eternal?

Brock Organ

<brockorgan@gmail.com>
Dec 23, 2010, 4:55:55 PM12/23/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM, ranjit_...@yahoo.com
<ranjit_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > I provided you a link to a body of information similar to what you
>> > provided, under the premise that you were possibly interested in it.
>>
>> Consider your extrapolation isn't relevant to your titular topic.
>
> True, but it is relevant to your extrapolation since it is similar to
> your extrapolation.

Consider instead the difference between syntax and semantic.

Regards,

Brock

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Dec 24, 2010, 9:47:43 AM12/24/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com

They worshiped the father, God Almighty, Abraham, Isaac and Israel's God, and those
who saw Jesus saw the Father God Almighty.
God sent His Son from Eternity to earth, in order to redeem us from Adam's sin
in the Garden of Eden.
And, Praise Jesus forever, for making a way for us to have eternal life with HIM,
instead of having eternal life in *outer darkness*.

I am not a worshiper of Christmas.  In fact I abhor the commercialization of
this season of the year.  Everyone has bowed down, and all seem to go overboard
on their buying spree, which leaves them in credit card debt for months to come -
for what? - because we have been brainwashed that this is something to
celebrate.
However, we are told in Romans 14:5 that one man thinks one day
is better than another in the week, and another man thinks all days
are alike, and so we are to be persuaded in our own minds.
And, Christmas is one of those days.