Why is the christian god gender specific?

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 8, 2010, 5:39:43 AM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Who figured that the christian god is a fella? Wouldn't this
supernatural supervisor be a little more 'advanced' than that? No, not
a woman, but, you know, sexless.

Can the faithful fill me in please. Paint me a mental picture of this
god thing please. Or Allah or whatever. I'm not fussy.

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 5:59:16 AM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
why not paint your own mental picture after you have determined that
the biblical 'god' description was penned by man? and since men rule
the planet, they created a 'god' in their image. its really quite easy
to comprehend, although very hard to believe. i find it amusing that
many atheists attempt to hold up xtians to the words of the bible,
when many xtians realize that they should not be taken literally. yes,
fundamentalists take things more literally, but really, isnt it time
for both sides to move on from this archaic rendition of how it went
down?

TLC

<tlc.terence@googlemail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 5:52:40 AM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Difficult question. The god Sky Fairy made man in his image and the
god Sky Fairy made the woman later when man got lonely. But, the
bible doesn't say the god Sky Fairy stuck a penis on man after he
made women! If man's in the Sky Fairy's image what does god do with
his penis?????

TLC

<tlc.terence@googlemail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 7:55:16 AM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
If man is in the god Sky Fairy's image, why does god have a penis and
what does he do with it?

The god Sky Fairy doesn't like penis' to much, in that he demands that
all god Sky Fairy believers should cut a bit off!

17:11 And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall
be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.

OK, it's a contract, but what's wrong with a signature??

> > god thing please. Or Allah or whatever. I'm not fussy.- Hide quoted text -

TLC

<tlc.terence@googlemail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 7:00:05 AM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
If man is in the god Sky Fairy's image, why does god have a penis and
what does he do with it?

The god Sky Fairy doesn't like penis' much, in that he demands that

all god Sky Fairy believers should cut a bit off!

17:11 And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall
be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.

OK, it's a contract, but what's wrong with a signature??

On 8 Feb, 10:52, TLC <tlc.tere...@googlemail.com> wrote:

gousaphe

<peterdaol@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 10:33:50 AM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Our heavenly Father is in heaven.
We are on earth , you are on earth. You atheists have not made any
headway speculating heaven. Instead you should focus on here and now.
Christians have stated that there are evils in this world and that the
Devil is here and now on earth. If you want to disprove us, all you
have to do is to disprove that this Devil existence. It would be
easier wouldn't it?
On the other hand, if you are truly open minded and curious and would
like to do the world some good then by all means start finding out who
this fella is.

Trance Gemini

<trancegemini7@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 10:43:30 AM2/8/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com

"I believe in an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out."

Arthur Hays Sulzberger

-------------------------
"Belief shuts the mind and inquiry opens it." --Observer

Demagogue: "one who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots."  -- H.L. Mencken.

Imagination: "He who has imagination without learning has wings but no feet."  ~Joseph Joubert

Bob T.

<bob@synapse-cs.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 11:01:32 AM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Well, the boss sheepherder of the local tribes was always a man, so
obviously God must be a man, too. Who could imagine a woman in
charge? Not the ancient Israelites, for sure.

- Bob T

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 11:16:11 AM2/8/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com
I believe we have a *Heavenily Father* who send His Son, Jesus to take care of Adam's sin of the Garden of Eden fame.

My father was a wonderful man who loved me and taught me to love Jesus.
My father was someone I looked up to and enjoyed being around.  He was smart, articulate, and knew how to put a good sermon together.
He taught me how to think for myself and that I could do anything and everything I wanted to do.  He taught me to slow down and think about what I was doing.  He taught me to *are you sure that is the BEST IDEA*.
He loved me and provided for me.

And now that I am on my own -- I have a Saviour who is my Father in Heaven, and HE provides the way and the means to serve HIM with gladness.
For, all HE wants from me is to say, *Thank You, Jesus.*

Neil Kelsey

<neil_kelsey@hotmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 11:16:40 AM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 8, 7:33 am, gousaphe <peterd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our heavenly Father is in heaven.
> We are on earth , you are on earth. You atheists have not made any
> headway speculating heaven. Instead you should focus on here and now.
> Christians have stated that there are evils in this world and that the
> Devil is here and now on earth. If you want to disprove us, all you
> have to do is to disprove that this Devil existence. It would be
> easier wouldn't it?
> On the other hand, if you are truly open minded and curious and would
> like to do the world some good then by all means start finding out who
> this fella is.

He IS trying to find out "who this fella is" - he wants to know about
his gender.

> On Feb 8, 3:39 am, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
>

> > Who figured that the christian god is a fella? Wouldn't this
> > supernatural supervisor be a little more 'advanced' than that? No, not
> > a woman, but, you know, sexless.
>
> > Can the faithful fill me in please. Paint me a mental picture of this

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 11:18:28 AM2/8/10
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Neil Kelsey <neil_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

On Feb 8, 7:33 am, gousaphe <peterd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our heavenly Father is in heaven.
> We are on earth , you are on earth. You atheists have not made any
> headway speculating heaven. Instead you should focus on here and now.
> Christians have stated that there are evils in this world and that the
> Devil is here and now on earth. If you want to disprove us, all you
> have to do is to disprove that this Devil existence. It would be
> easier wouldn't it?
> On the other hand, if you are truly open minded and curious and would
> like to do the world some good then by all means start finding out who
> this fella is.

He IS trying to find out "who this fella is" - he wants to know about
his gender.

He is my Heavenily Father -- a MAN!
Jesus was a man just like you are!!

> On Feb 8, 3:39 am, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
>

> > Who figured that the christian god is a fella? Wouldn't this
> > supernatural supervisor be a little more 'advanced' than that? No, not
> > a woman, but, you know, sexless.
>
> > Can the faithful fill me in please. Paint me a mental picture of this
> > god thing please. Or Allah or whatever. I'm not fussy.- Hide quoted text -

Simon Ewins

<sjewins@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 11:27:36 AM2/8/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com
[gousaphe]

> Our heavenly Father is in heaven.
> We are on earth , you are on earth. You atheists have not made any
> headway speculating heaven. Instead you should focus on here and now.
> Christians have stated that there are evils in this world and that the
> Devil is here and now on earth. If you want to disprove us, all you
> have to do is to disprove that this Devil existence. It would be
> easier wouldn't it?

Best just to ignore you and let you carry on being wrong.

--
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not sure about the universe." - Einstein

"What deep wounds ever closed without a scar?"
[George Gordon, Lord Byron, Child Harold's Pilgrimage]

Bob T.

<bob@synapse-cs.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 11:32:27 AM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 8, 8:16 am, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe we have a *Heavenily Father* who send His Son, Jesus to take care
> of Adam's sin of the Garden of Eden fame.
>
> My father was a wonderful man who loved me and taught me to love Jesus.
> My father was someone I looked up to and enjoyed being around.  He was
> smart, articulate, and knew how to put a good sermon together.
> He taught me how to think for myself and that I could do anything and
> everything I wanted to do.  He taught me to slow down and think about what I
> was doing.  He taught me to *are you sure that is the BEST IDEA*.
> He loved me and provided for me.

Your father sounds like a wonderful man. It's no wonder you like to
think there is a Father like yours up in Heaven, taking care of all of
us. Sadly, other than wishful thinking, there is no reason to believe
that's really true.

- Bob T

> And now that I am on my own -- I have a Saviour who is my Father in Heaven,
> and HE provides the way and the means to serve HIM with gladness.
> For, all HE wants from me is to say, *Thank You, Jesus.*
>

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > "I believe in an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out."
>

> > — *Arthur Hays Sulzberger*

> > On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:33 AM, gousaphe <peterd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Our heavenly Father is in heaven.
> >> We are on earth , you are on earth. You atheists have not made any
> >> headway speculating heaven. Instead you should focus on here and now.
> >> Christians have stated that there are evils in this world and that the
> >> Devil is here and now on earth. If you want to disprove us, all you
> >> have to do is to disprove that this Devil existence. It would be
> >> easier wouldn't it?
> >> On the other hand, if you are truly open minded and curious and would
> >> like to do the world some good then by all means start finding out who
> >> this fella is.

> >> --

> >> atheism-vs-christ...@googlegroups.com<atheism-vs-christianit­y%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/atheism-vs-christianity?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > -------------------------
> > "Belief shuts the mind and inquiry opens it." --Observer
>
> > Demagogue: "one who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he
> > knows to be idiots."  -- H.L. Mencken.
>
> > Imagination: "He who has imagination without learning has wings but no
> > feet."  ~Joseph Joubert
>
> > --

> > atheism-vs-christ...@googlegroups.com<atheism-vs-christianit­y%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at

> >http://groups.google.com/group/atheism-vs-christianity?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

Neil Kelsey

<neil_kelsey@hotmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 11:37:35 AM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 8, 8:18 am, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Neil Kelsey <neil_kel...@hotmail.com>wrote:
>

> > On Feb 8, 7:33 am, gousaphe <peterd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Our heavenly Father is in heaven.
> > > We are on earth , you are on earth. You atheists have not made any
> > > headway speculating heaven. Instead you should focus on here and now.
> > > Christians have stated that there are evils in this world and that the
> > > Devil is here and now on earth. If you want to disprove us, all you
> > > have to do is to disprove that this Devil existence. It would be
> > > easier wouldn't it?
> > > On the other hand, if you are truly open minded and curious and would
> > > like to do the world some good then by all means start finding out who
> > > this fella is.
>
> > He IS trying to find out "who this fella is" - he wants to know about
> > his gender.
>
> He is my Heavenily Father -- a MAN!
> Jesus was a man just like you are!!

Don't tell me, tell Max. I'm still waiting for evidence that God even
exists, I'll begin caring about his genitals after that.

And I have no doubt that Jesus, if he existed at all, and was nothing
more (or less) than a man.

> > text -

> > --

> > atheism-vs-christ...@googlegroups.com<atheism-vs-christianit­y%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at

> >http://groups.google.com/group/atheism-vs-christianity?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 11:59:18 AM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
i had to tone down my article against the RC for not allowing female
priests before my local paper would publish it. its brutal ...
especially since there is some evidence that mary mag was intrumental
in the beginning of xtianity. typical male powertripping. brawn wins
out again ...

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 12:03:10 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
jesus said some things that people enjoyed listening to, so did and
have others. to consider the bible the one and only inspired word of
'god' is arrogant in origin, and astounding to me how much power those
with squatters rights have over others. dont get it myself ... quite
amazing really

On Feb 8, 11:18 am, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > atheism-vs-christ...@googlegroups.com<atheism-vs-christianit­y%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at

> >http://groups.google.com/group/atheism-vs-christianity?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

Brock

<brockorgan@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 12:13:17 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 8, 5:39 am, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
> Who figured that the christian god is a fella?

Jesus Christ, God's son, was born into this world as a male child.

Regards,

Brock

Bob T.

<bob@synapse-cs.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 12:27:16 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

Hey, Brock -

It's good to see you have time to post again. I look forward to your
response to the Age of the Earth thead that I created specifically for
us to continue our discussion about whether Genesis could possibly be
literally true.

- Bob T

> Regards,
>
> Brock

Brock Organ

<brockorgan@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 3:31:25 PM2/8/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Bob. I made my first response in the thread earlier today,
and hope to have more interesting discussion with you about the issue.
:)

Regards,

Brock

Bob T.

<bob@synapse-cs.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 3:35:00 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 8, 12:31 pm, Brock Organ <brockor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > It's good to see you have time to post again.  I look forward to your
> > response to the Age of the Earth thead that I created specifically for
> > us to continue our discussion about whether Genesis could possibly be
> > literally true.
>
> Thanks, Bob.  I made my first response in the thread earlier today,
> and hope to have more interesting discussion with you about the issue.
> :)

It's gotta be better than discussing God's genitalia ;-}

- Bob T

> Regards,
>
> Brock- Hide quoted text -

zencycle

<zencycle@bikerider.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 3:44:43 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
God is coming, close your eyes and open your mouth

JFG

<thelemiccatholic@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 4:23:46 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
First: no mental picture can possibly be adequate. God is infinite,
and every concept is finite by virtue of it being a concept.

But, after that, we can observe that God has revealed Himself as
Father, and ask, why? What is the difference between a Father and a
Mother? Why would God, in the first place, want to manifest as a
Parent?

The word "matter" is close to the word "Mater," which means mother.
We know there is both spirit and matter, and we know that the
characteristics of each are different, and we know that as human
beings, we are comprised of both. Historically, and conceptually, we
have always associated the feminine principle (Yin) with matter, and
the masculine principle (Yang) with spirit. Biologically, this
relates to the fact that it is the mother who bears children in her
womb and nurtures them physically with her milk. The traditional role
of the father is more to instruct and protect. To relate these
concepts to God, then, it is God who instructs us with His Word and
protects us by His Providence, whereas it is Nature that nurtures us
and provides for our physical needs. Thus we speak of "Mother
Nature," and also of "Mother Earth."

Lest anyone think these ideas are chauvinistic, we should note well
that any human being contains both, matter and spirit, Yin and Yang.
What we have called masculine and feminine attributes, any human male
and any human female possesses both. But if we seek to assign gender
to God, it is more natural to assign Him masculinity, since the
feminine aspects of the requirements of our lives tend to be fulfilled
by Nature, rather than by God directly. God, indeed, also contains
both, but towards His Creation, He is more properly a Father than a
Mother, having created Mother Nature (in an allegorical sense) as our
nurturer. It would be far less proper to neutralize God and call Him
"it" rather than "He" or "She," since that would make God impersonal,
and He is Personal. Since we are human beings, and the human race is
both male and female, we associate personhood with male or female, and
thus God, if He is Parent to us, must be either Father or Mother.
Since we have Nature for a Mother, we have God for a Father.

And finally, in the fullness of time, God came among us as Jesus, and
has Mary for a Mother, and subsequently gave us Mary for our Mother.
So now we have Mary for a Mother and God for a Father, just as God
Himself does, in Jesus.

On Feb 8, 5:39 am, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 8, 2010, 6:01:37 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Because I'm not making the claim. I mean I've seen pics of Jesus the
unemployed carpenter and he's got this 1960's hippie look. You know,
nicely trimmed beard, lovely locks and a decidedly western European
look about him.

Amazing how the faithful have this image in mind, when on all
accounts, there are no contemporary pictorial representations of the
man, (if he existed of course).

And if he (as thea attests) is the son of God, then it seems God (the
man, with doodle I assume) is this thing that looks much like a man
(with a doodle) and is floating about somewhere's.

How am I going so far?

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 8, 2010, 6:07:00 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
What's heaven? Have you been there? Who told you there's a heaven? How
did he/she know? Have they been there?

So many questions, so few answers!

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 8, 2010, 6:11:13 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
"He taught me how to think for myself"

Wrong! He taught you how to not think for yourself, by merely
parroting the writings of an ancient text.

Imagine that eh?

First Dad, then a fairy story to keep you safe from the worlds evils.

On Feb 9, 12:16 am, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe we have a *Heavenily Father* who send His Son, Jesus to take care
> of Adam's sin of the Garden of Eden fame.
>
> My father was a wonderful man who loved me and taught me to love Jesus.
> My father was someone I looked up to and enjoyed being around.  He was
> smart, articulate, and knew how to put a good sermon together.
> He taught me how to think for myself and that I could do anything and
> everything I wanted to do.  He taught me to slow down and think about what I
> was doing.  He taught me to *are you sure that is the BEST IDEA*.
> He loved me and provided for me.
>
> And now that I am on my own -- I have a Saviour who is my Father in Heaven,
> and HE provides the way and the means to serve HIM with gladness.
> For, all HE wants from me is to say, *Thank You, Jesus.*
>

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > "I believe in an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out."
>

> > — *Arthur Hays Sulzberger*

> > On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:33 AM, gousaphe <peterd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Our heavenly Father is in heaven.
> >> We are on earth , you are on earth. You atheists have not made any
> >> headway speculating heaven. Instead you should focus on here and now.
> >> Christians have stated that there are evils in this world and that the
> >> Devil is here and now on earth. If you want to disprove us, all you
> >> have to do is to disprove that this Devil existence. It would be
> >> easier wouldn't it?
> >> On the other hand, if you are truly open minded and curious and would
> >> like to do the world some good then by all means start finding out who
> >> this fella is.

> >> --

> >> atheism-vs-christ...@googlegroups.com<atheism-vs-christianity%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> >> .
> >> For more options, visit this group at
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/atheism-vs-christianity?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > -------------------------
> > "Belief shuts the mind and inquiry opens it." --Observer
>
> > Demagogue: "one who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he
> > knows to be idiots."  -- H.L. Mencken.
>
> > Imagination: "He who has imagination without learning has wings but no
> > feet."  ~Joseph Joubert
>
> > --

> > atheism-vs-christ...@googlegroups.com<atheism-vs-christianity%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 8, 2010, 6:16:07 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
If he existed, then yes he was JUST a man. No more, no less. Not
divine, just a man.

OMG, is that possible?

On Feb 9, 12:18 am, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > atheism-vs-christ...@googlegroups.com<atheism-vs-christianity%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 8, 2010, 6:20:32 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Oh, that's the part where Mary was raped by some divine thingy, yes? I
mean, I don't recall reading anywhere where she consented to anything
here.

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 8, 2010, 6:22:15 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Oh no, Mum.....Zen's got those rudey video thingys on his interwebby
thing again. Tell him to stop.

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 8, 2010, 6:29:13 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 9, 5:23 am, JFG <thelemiccatho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> First: no mental picture can possibly be adequate.

So why do the faithful persist in representations of same?

God is infinite,

How do you personally know that? If god is infinate and your
conception of god is finite, how can you even begin to understand such
a notion as being true? If it is simply a falsity, based on a human
conceptualisation and it's adherants subsequently decided to call it
infinite, well that's just so very coincidental isn't it?

What utter balderdash. You people make this up as you go along I'm
sure.

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 7:32:28 PM2/8/10
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Bob T. <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote:

On Feb 8, 8:16 am, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe we have a *Heavenily Father* who send His Son, Jesus to take care
> of Adam's sin of the Garden of Eden fame.
>
> My father was a wonderful man who loved me and taught me to love Jesus.
> My father was someone I looked up to and enjoyed being around.  He was
> smart, articulate, and knew how to put a good sermon together.
> He taught me how to think for myself and that I could do anything and
> everything I wanted to do.  He taught me to slow down and think about what I
> was doing.  He taught me to *are you sure that is the BEST IDEA*.
> He loved me and provided for me.

Your father sounds like a wonderful man.  It's no wonder you like to
think there is a Father like yours up in Heaven, taking care of all of
us.  Sadly, other than wishful thinking, there is no reason to believe
that's really true.

- Bob T

There are things written in the Bible that lead me to believe that I not only have a Heavenily Father who cares about me -- but one who is willing and able to take care of me in the here and now if I will only make the move toward HIM that HE wishes.
When I say, Thank you, Jesus, for everything you have sent my way - I realize that all the trials and tests were to make me *lean on Jesus* even more than I would have.
I cannot depend on myself - I must depend on the strong arm of Jesus to support me.
And, Jesus is the rewarder of them that diligently seek HIM!  And HE will be found by those who are willing to search for HIM!
And the promises that I like the best are the ones that say -- *all my sins are in the sea of God's forgetfulness* and that I have eternal life and a *down-payment* now that makes me have what is known as a *know-so* salvation.

You see, I believe that the first move toward finding Jesus depends on our opening our mouth and saying that we *believe that God raised Jesus from the dead*.
Jesus doesn't *work miracles* in our lives unless we are moving in HIS Direction.

When I see Jesus turning water into wine -- I see the servants going to the well and filling up the pots with water.  As far as the servants are concerned - the pots contain water.
But, because one servant obeyed Jesus and put his ladle into the pot and then filled the Governors cup - somewhere between the pot and the cup the water became wine -- and a human man was in the obeying mode and that is why it happened.

Since I am in the mode where I am willing to obey the Lord Jesus by saying, *Thank you* in all situations in my life - I realize that Jesus is taking care of me when I have enough to eat on my table, a roof over my head and am warm and comfortable - even though it is snowing outside and is cold and dreary.

Yes Jesus is alive and well.

Now - to the point that HE, GOD, is a man.  It is the man according to St. Thomas Aquinas that gives Life to his children, because the sperm moves of its own volition.
The man giving life to his children also explains how God needed the Virgin Mary to be the woman from which HE would have a child - Jesus.

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 7:33:46 PM2/8/10
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Neil Kelsey <neil_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

On Feb 8, 8:18 am, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Neil Kelsey <neil_kel...@hotmail.com>wrote:
>

> > On Feb 8, 7:33 am, gousaphe <peterd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Our heavenly Father is in heaven.
> > > We are on earth , you are on earth. You atheists have not made any
> > > headway speculating heaven. Instead you should focus on here and now.
> > > Christians have stated that there are evils in this world and that the
> > > Devil is here and now on earth. If you want to disprove us, all you
> > > have to do is to disprove that this Devil existence. It would be
> > > easier wouldn't it?
> > > On the other hand, if you are truly open minded and curious and would
> > > like to do the world some good then by all means start finding out who
> > > this fella is.
>
> > He IS trying to find out "who this fella is" - he wants to know about
> > his gender.
>
> He is my Heavenily Father -- a MAN!
> Jesus was a man just like you are!!

Don't tell me, tell Max. I'm still waiting for evidence that God even
exists, I'll begin caring about his genitals after that.

And I have no doubt that Jesus, if he existed at all, and was nothing
more (or less) than a man.

Ah - Jesus said that because they *saw* Him, that they had seen the *Father - God.*

> > text -

> > --

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 7:36:17 PM2/8/10
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 11:03 AM, e_space <espac...@gmail.com> wrote:
jesus said some things that people enjoyed listening to, so did and
have others. to consider the bible the one and only inspired word of
'god' is arrogant in origin, and astounding to me how much power those
with squatters rights have over others. dont get it myself  ... quite
amazing really

God has prepared the way for mankind to know HIM!
And, if we search through all the ages of wise men - we find God the Father of the Lord Jesus Christ in the Bible.
Every other religion claims to have prophets -- but only the Bible claims a God that sent His Son to redeem mankind from Adams' sin.

Neil Kelsey

<neil_kelsey@hotmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 7:37:32 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 8, 4:33 pm, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

Jesus, as depicted in fiction (aka "The Bible"), seems a lot like a
narcissistic schizophrenic to me.

> > not

> > this

Neil Kelsey

<neil_kelsey@hotmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 7:39:03 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 8, 9:03 am, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> jesus said some things that people enjoyed listening to, so did and
> have others. to consider the bible the one and only inspired word of
> 'god' is arrogant in origin, and astounding to me how much power those
> with squatters rights have over others. dont get it myself  ... quite
> amazing really

You're just jealous because Jesus has a following and you don't.

> > >http://groups.google.com/group/atheism-vs-christianity?hl=en.-Hide quoted text -

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 7:42:07 PM2/8/10
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
"He taught me how to think for myself"

Wrong! He taught you how to not think for yourself, by merely
parroting the writings of an ancient text.

Imagine that eh?

First Dad, then a fairy story to keep you safe from the worlds evils.

Nothing can keep you safe from the world's evils.  At the ripe old age of 5 years old a neighbor fellow offered me a sip of beer - and I was the preacher's kid on the corner and my parents didn't believe in drinking liquor.
I admit I was lucky in the fact that my father cared about me growing up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord Jesus Christ.
I can remember the time we went to hear several Christian quartets, and our local group was a bunch of show offs - but the quartet from the Cathedral of Tomorrow in Akron Ohio had something our group did not have.  The Holy Spirit - was felt when the Cathedral group was singing.
My father was glad I could tell the difference.

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 7:46:34 PM2/8/10
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
If he existed, then yes he was JUST a man. No more, no less. Not
divine, just a man.

OMG, is that possible?

This is one place where I will have to give some more explanation.
Jesus is our High Priest.  A High Priest in Israel had to be a man who was married and had children.  So Jesus in order to fulfill the Law and the Prophets like HE stated, had to have been a married man with child or children.
But Mary Mag -- I don't think so -- because Mary Mag only came around during HIS ministry, and Jesus would have been married at around the age of 13 - and HE didn't start HIS ministry until HE was 30 -- plenty of time to have a family and for the children to have children of their own.
St. Paul was also a married man -- because HE was a member of the Sanhedrin - and to be a member of the Sanhedrin you have to also be a married man with children.
So -
Jesus says HE was just like all men -- and therefore knows all about all the problems a true man faces.  And that includes all you HE's.

Bob T.

<bob@synapse-cs.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 7:47:27 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Thea -

I believe that all the benefits you derive from your faith are real,
but the supernatural entities you believe in are not real, outside of
peoples' minds.

- Bob T

> > he

> > quoted text -

> > --

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 7:50:01 PM2/8/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com
Ah, Neil, it is snowing here this evening -- real fine stuff - and starting to pile up --
reminds me to be Thanking Jesus for giving me a roof over my head and heat!!

Like I have stated in the past - I cannot save anyone -- I can only tell about the many many blessing that are received when we worship the God who made us.

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 7:51:33 PM2/8/10
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Bob T. <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote:
Thea -

I believe that all the benefits you derive from your faith are real,
but the supernatural entities you believe in are not real, outside of
peoples' minds.

- Bob T

Does your mind exist forever??
Is your Spirit part of your mind??

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 8, 2010, 6:15:08 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
No not particularly. I just figured that if the god guy is so whizz
bang, then surely, he wouldn't be burdened with such human conditions
such as a penis or vagina or frankly anything remotely sexual. (Surely
it's beyond that)

I just kinda figured that the god representation would be a whole more
esoteric than that.

And given that the faithful have this inner sanctum knowledge that I
(poor suffering atheist that I am) cannot know, then I was was asking
them what they reckoned.

On Feb 9, 12:16 am, Neil Kelsey <neil_kel...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 8, 7:33 am, gousaphe <peterd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Our heavenly Father is in heaven.
> > We are on earth , you are on earth. You atheists have not made any
> > headway speculating heaven. Instead you should focus on here and now.
> > Christians have stated that there are evils in this world and that the
> > Devil is here and now on earth. If you want to disprove us, all you
> > have to do is to disprove that this Devil existence. It would be
> > easier wouldn't it?
> > On the other hand, if you are truly open minded and curious and would
> > like to do the world some good then by all means start finding out who
> > this fella is.
>

> He IS trying to find out "who this fella is" - he wants to know about
> his gender.
>

> > On Feb 8, 3:39 am, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
>
> > > Who figured that the christian god is a fella? Wouldn't this
> > > supernatural supervisor be a little more 'advanced' than that? No, not
> > > a woman, but, you know, sexless.
>
> > > Can the faithful fill me in please. Paint me a mental picture of this

> > > god thing please. Or Allah or whatever. I'm not fussy.- Hide quoted text -

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 8, 2010, 6:04:32 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Yes, a conundrum. I assume he uses his penis to do wee wee's. If in
fact he is penis less, why does he then have to look like a man,
particularly when he never bothers to show up. I mean, why bother
looking like a middle eastern goat herder, when you won't show up at
any gigs anywhere? I mean, what's the point?

On Feb 8, 6:52 pm, TLC <tlc.tere...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Difficult question.   The god Sky Fairy made man in his image and the
> god Sky Fairy made the woman later when man got lonely.  But, the
> bible doesn't say  the god Sky Fairy stuck a penis on man after he
> made women!   If man's in the Sky Fairy's image what does god do with
> his penis?????

Neil Kelsey

<neil_kelsey@hotmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 8:09:27 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 8, 4:50 pm, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

It would be good if it did that here, considering the Olympics start
in one week and the cherry blossoms are already beginning to bloom.
This isn't going to be the Winter Olympics, it's going to be the
Spring Olympics.

> reminds me to be Thanking Jesus for giving me a roof over my head and heat!!

Your own hard work and carpenters provided a roof over your head, and
scientific progress provided you with heat. I see no reason for a
supernatural explanation when there is a perfectly obvious natural
explanation.

> Like I have stated in the past - I cannot save anyone --

You haven't convinced me that there is anything to save me from.

> I can only tell
> about the many many blessing that are received when we worship the God who
> made us.

I have a roof over my head, and heat - same as you - and I'm an
atheist.

> > No,

> > of
> > quoted

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 8:19:46 PM2/8/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com
I believe my brother told me he saw where they were bringing in snow --
and that the mountains had plenty of snow but it didn't contain as much water as usual?

> reminds me to be Thanking Jesus for giving me a roof over my head and heat!!

Your own hard work and carpenters provided a roof over your head, and
scientific progress provided you with heat. I see no reason for a
supernatural explanation when there is a perfectly obvious natural
explanation.

It's that *know-so* salvation - when we thank Jesus for everything, we become aware of the *down-payment* of our future inheritance.

> Like I have stated in the past - I cannot save anyone --

You haven't convinced me that there is anything to save me from.

ta da

> I can only tell
> about the many many blessing that are received when we worship the God who
> made us.

I have a roof over my head, and heat - same as you - and I'm an
atheist.

ta da
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to atheism-vs-christ...@googlegroups.com.

gousaphe

<peterdaol@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 9:12:28 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
The fella I was talking about was the Devil himself that is on Earth.
I don't think Max wants to find out about 'this father of murderers
and lusts' at all much less 'touching' his gender.

On Feb 8, 9:16 am, Neil Kelsey <neil_kel...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 8, 7:33 am, gousaphe <peterd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Our heavenly Father is in heaven.
> > We are on earth , you are on earth. You atheists have not made any
> > headway speculating heaven. Instead you should focus on here and now.
> > Christians have stated that there are evils in this world and that the
> > Devil is here and now on earth. If you want to disprove us, all you
> > have to do is to disprove that this Devil existence. It would be
> > easier wouldn't it?
> > On the other hand, if you are truly open minded and curious and would
> > like to do the world some good then by all means start finding out who
> > this fella is.
>
> He IS trying to find out "who this fella is" - he wants to know about
> his gender.

Neil Kelsey

<neil_kelsey@hotmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 9:27:34 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 8, 5:19 pm, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

The local skihills don't have much snow on the ski runs so they're
bring it down from higher elevations. Believe me, we are never short
of water. Whistler mountain, about 2 hours from here, has plenty.

> > > reminds me to be Thanking Jesus for giving me a roof over my head and
> > heat!!
>
> > Your own hard work and carpenters provided a roof over your head, and
> > scientific progress provided you with heat. I see no reason for a
> > supernatural explanation when there is a perfectly obvious natural
> > explanation.
>
> It's that *know-so* salvation - when we thank Jesus for everything, we
> become aware of the *down-payment* of our future inheritance.

Seems delusional to me.

> > > Like I have stated in the past - I cannot save anyone --
>
> > You haven't convinced me that there is anything to save me from.
>
> ta da

I don't get it.

> > > I can only tell
> > > about the many many blessing that are received when we worship the God
> > who
> > > made us.
>
> > I have a roof over my head, and heat - same as you - and I'm an
> > atheist.
>
> ta da

"Ta da" what?

Neil Kelsey

<neil_kelsey@hotmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 9:33:24 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Feb 8, 6:12 pm, gousaphe <peterd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The fella I was talking about was the Devil himself that is on Earth.

Max was asking about God, not the Devil.

> I don't think Max wants to find out about 'this father of murderers
> and lusts' at all much less 'touching' his gender.

I can see that no one will be getting a straight answer out of you.

> On Feb 8, 9:16 am, Neil Kelsey <neil_kel...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 8, 7:33 am, gousaphe <peterd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Our heavenly Father is in heaven.
> > > We are on earth , you are on earth. You atheists have not made any
> > > headway speculating heaven. Instead you should focus on here and now.
> > > Christians have stated that there are evils in this world and that the
> > > Devil is here and now on earth. If you want to disprove us, all you
> > > have to do is to disprove that this Devil existence. It would be
> > > easier wouldn't it?
> > > On the other hand, if you are truly open minded and curious and would
> > > like to do the world some good then by all means start finding out who
> > > this fella is.
>
> > He IS trying to find out "who this fella is" - he wants to know about
> > his gender.

gousaphe

<peterdaol@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 9:41:37 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
No, I rather think it is best that you atheists should avoid
discussing the Devil. Because he is a really mean fella who is filled
with murderous rage and insatiable primal lust therefore can not
possibly take it kindly to anyone who denies his very existence.

On Feb 8, 9:27 am, Simon Ewins <sjew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [gousaphe]

> > Our heavenly Father is in heaven.
> > We are on earth , you are on earth. You atheists have not made any
> > headway speculating heaven. Instead you should focus on here and now.
> > Christians have stated that there are evils in this world and that the
> > Devil is here and now on earth. If you want to disprove us, all you
> > have to do is to disprove that this Devil existence. It would be
> > easier wouldn't it?
>

> Best just to ignore you and let you carry on being wrong.
>
> --
> "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
>   and I'm not sure about the universe." - Einstein
>
> "What deep wounds ever closed without a scar?"
> [George Gordon, Lord Byron, Child Harold's Pilgrimage]

gousaphe

<peterdaol@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 9:48:17 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Well... didn't I suggest Max to shift focus to earth instead of
heaven?

Steve in Virginia

<chandler2368@hotmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 9:50:54 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Actually, I DO NOT have to prove that there is some brimstone-reeking
boogyman, with a pointy tail and a pitchfork. The onus falls on the
true believers to establish the fact that devils, demons and other
monsters are lurking in the closets of humankind. To loosely
paraphrase Carl Sagan, you make an extraordinary claim, you'd better
have extraordinary proof to back it up. And I don't mean a bunch of
ancient Middle Eastern campfire tales, or quasi-hysterical anecdotal
evidence painting a variety of mental disorders as "possession".

Cheers,

Steve

On Feb 8, 10:33 am, gousaphe <peterd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our heavenly Father is in heaven.
> We are on earth , you are on earth. You atheists have not made any
> headway speculating heaven. Instead you should focus on here and now.
> Christians have stated that there are evils in this world and that the
> Devil is here and now on earth. If you want to disprove us, all you
> have to do is to disprove that this Devil existence. It would be
> easier wouldn't it?
> On the other hand, if you are truly open minded and curious and would
> like to do the world some good then by all means start finding out who
> this fella is.

Neil Kelsey

<neil_kelsey@hotmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 9:59:16 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Feb 8, 6:48 pm, gousaphe <peterd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well... didn't I suggest Max to shift focus to earth instead of
> heaven?

Exactly my point.

gousaphe

<peterdaol@gmail.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 10:09:50 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
No Steve you do not have to but if you want to disprove us then this
is the easier way... but I certainly do not wish to be disproved nor
wishing you going up against the mean fella.

Bob T.

<bob@synapse-cs.com>
Feb 8, 2010, 10:56:00 PM2/8/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 8, 4:51 pm, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Bob T. <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote:
> > Thea -
>
> > I believe that all the benefits you derive from your faith are real,
> > but the supernatural entities you believe in are not real, outside of
> > peoples' minds.
>
> > - Bob T
>
> Does your mind exist forever??

No, when my body dies my mind will die, too.

> Is your Spirit part of your mind??

It's either part of my mind or non-existent, depending on how you
define "Spirit".

- Bob T

> > men

> > no

> > quoted text -

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 9, 2010, 4:32:44 AM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
No, you can thank the town planners and developers for developing the
land on which you reside, the builders for building your abode, the
electricians / plumbers for ensuring that your home is heated and lit
and you can also thank yours & our anticedents for the tireless work
over the years to invent, create, engineer, study, learn and master
many human endeavours, just to allow you to then say, the long
deceased unemployed carpenter is looking after you!

On Feb 9, 8:50 am, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > <atheism-vs-christianit­y%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<y%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

> > <atheism-vs-christianit­y%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<y%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

> > quoted text -

> > --

> > atheism-vs-christ...@googlegroups.com<atheism-vs-christianity%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

TLC

<tlc.terence@googlemail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 5:31:07 AM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Thea,

I think you're a good example of how consistent religious brain
washing through out childhood can damage the adult mind. You're a
slave to your superstitious belief and you can only answer fact with
your own version of a fallacy. You're the embodiment of religious
Ignorence.

I worry about maniacs like you. Because if the time were right, you'd
be out burning people at stakes, but only to save them, burning books,
etc, or strapping on bombs if you thought it would help your
superstitious Sky Fairy belief.

How do such idiotic and unthinking people like Thea, (who glory in the
stupid idea that most on Earth will be torched for ever when they're
dead, but Thea and her cronies won't because they've spread
ignorence), exist in todays world??

> > men

> > no

> > quoted text -

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 9:06:00 AM2/9/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com
Sounds like the right place to live.  Are you within 2 hours of the ski slopes.  When I was a child we lived within 30 minutes of the ski slopes - but where we lived we didn't get snow.
We were right at the edge of the mountains in Northern California.

> > > reminds me to be Thanking Jesus for giving me a roof over my head and
> > heat!!
>
> > Your own hard work and carpenters provided a roof over your head, and
> > scientific progress provided you with heat. I see no reason for a
> > supernatural explanation when there is a perfectly obvious natural
> > explanation.
>
> It's that *know-so* salvation - when we thank Jesus for everything, we
> become aware of the *down-payment* of our future inheritance.

Seems delusional to me.

Yes it does, until you decide to get your *feet wet* and find out that you can walk across on dry land because you took the first step.

> > > Like I have stated in the past - I cannot save anyone --
>
> > You haven't convinced me that there is anything to save me from.
>
> ta da

I don't get it.

Sorry, I thought you might.
You are saying that I will never be able to convince you of anything!  And so, *ta da* to me means, you said it - and you make it so.

> > > I can only tell
> > > about the many many blessing that are received when we worship the God
> > who
> > > made us.
>
> > I have a roof over my head, and heat - same as you - and I'm an
> > atheist.
>
> ta da

"Ta da" what?

Yes, Jesus said that the rain would be on the just and the unjust.  Just because you don't believe in the fellow that is handing you a silver platter and for free, at that, as it only costs you your delusional self, is ta da!!

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 9:10:09 AM2/9/10
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Bob T. <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote:

On Feb 8, 4:51 pm, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Bob T. <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote:
> > Thea -
>
> > I believe that all the benefits you derive from your faith are real,
> > but the supernatural entities you believe in are not real, outside of
> > peoples' minds.
>
> > - Bob T
>
> Does your mind exist forever??

No, when my body dies my mind will die, too.

Like I have explained elsewhere - Israel had two views of thinking about life or no life after death.  In the Bible they are called the Pharasees and the Saducees.  The Pharasees are the group that St. Paul was associated with and they believe in *far you see* as in life after death.  The Saducees *sad you see* are the ones who didn't believe in life after death.
This is probably why Israel as a whole did not accept their Messiah the Lord Jesus Christ.

> Is your Spirit part of your mind??

It's either part of my mind or non-existent, depending on how you
define "Spirit".

- Bob T

The Bible says there will be a divide between the soul and the spirit.  Interesting!

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 9:16:18 AM2/9/10
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:32 AM, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
No, you can thank the town planners and developers for developing the
land on which you reside, the builders for building your abode, the
electricians / plumbers for ensuring that your home is heated and lit
and you can also thank yours & our anticedents for the tireless work
over the years to invent, create, engineer, study, learn and master
many human endeavours, just to allow you to then say, the long
deceased unemployed carpenter is looking after you!

God gave the ingenuity to the fellows who invented and made our way of living possible.
Thanking Jesus for all of this means that I don't give human kind glory for being who they were with God's help.

Neil Kelsey

<neil_kelsey@hotmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 9:25:20 AM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 9, 6:06 am, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm within 5 minutes from 3 of them, and 2 hours from Whistler.

> When I was a child we lived within 30 minutes of the ski slopes -
> but where we lived we didn't get snow.

We got a quarter inch of snow once this winter and it only lasted for
about 4 hours.

> We were right at the edge of the mountains in Northern California.

> > > It's that *know-so* salvation - when we thank Jesus for everything, we
> > > become aware of the *down-payment* of our future inheritance.
>
> > Seems delusional to me.
>
> Yes it does, until you decide to get your *feet wet* and find out that you
> can walk across on dry land because you took the first step.

I doesn't take belief in God to walk on dry land. I do it all the
time, and I'm an atheist.

> > > ta da
>
> > I don't get it.
>
> Sorry, I thought you might.
> You are saying that I will never be able to convince you of anything!

No I'm not. I'm saying that if you come up with convincing evidence
that God exists, then I will cease being an atheist. Metaphors about
things that exist - like dry land - are not evidence that other things
exist, like God.

>  And
> so, *ta da* to me means, you said it - and you make it so.

I disagree that something is true just because someone says it. People
lie, people are delusionalp people are mentally ill, and people are
mistaken on a regular basis. People are wrong about a lot of things. I
see no evidence that any Christian is right about God.

> > God

> > > ta da
>
> > "Ta da" what?
>
> Yes, Jesus said that the rain would be on the just and the unjust.

The roof over my head that the carpenters built, and that the
architect designed, keeps the rain off.

> Just
> because you don't believe in the fellow that is handing you a silver platter
> and for free,

I'm not being handed anything for free. I have to earn money by going
to work to pay for the roof over my head. Where is this "fellow" who
is handing me a silver platter? Sounds delusional to me.

> at that, as it only costs you your delusional self, is ta da!!

How is believing that an invisible fellow is handing out metallic
plates despite all evidence that he isn't "giving up my delusional
self" (whatever that is)? Seems like I would be embracing a delusion
if I believed that. I prefer reality.

> read more »- Hide quoted text -

ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com

<ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 9:30:43 AM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 9, 9:10 am, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Bob T. <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote:

> > > Does your mind exist forever??
>
> > No, when my body dies my mind will die, too.
>
> Like I have explained elsewhere - Israel had two views of thinking about
> life or no life after death.  In the Bible they are called the Pharasees and
> the Saducees.  The Pharasees are the group that St. Paul was associated with
> and they believe in *far you see* as in life after death.  The Saducees *sad
> you see*

Saducees was Zadokim/ Tsedekim in Hebrew. Tsedekim had another
meaning; it also meant "righteous people".

> are the ones who didn't believe in life after death.
> This is probably why Israel as a whole did not accept their Messiah the Lord
> Jesus Christ.

Israel as a whole might not have heard of him. As for those who did
hear of him, especially those who heard him speak, a more likely
reason is that most of them heard him in sermons in which he didn't
mention that he was either Messiah or Lord, so his audiences in those
sermons had no way to conclude that he thought he was Messiah or Lord.

> > > Is your Spirit part of your mind??
>
> > It's either part of my mind or non-existent, depending on how you
> > define "Spirit".
> > - Bob T
>
> The Bible says there will be a divide between the soul and the spirit.

Joe can have fun explaining where this spirit came from (since thus
far, he has only explained that we have immortal souls that were
created for us).

> Interesting!

Yes, it would be interesting to know what the author who said that
thought he was talking about.

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 9:31:21 AM2/9/10
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 4:31 AM, TLC <tlc.t...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Thea,

I think you're a good example of how consistent religious brain
washing through out childhood can damage the adult mind.   You're a
slave to your superstitious belief and you can only answer fact with
your own version of a fallacy.   You're the embodiment of religious
Ignorence.

I worry about maniacs like you.  Because if the time were right, you'd
be out burning people at stakes, but only to save them, burning books,
etc, or strapping on bombs if you thought it would help your
superstitious Sky Fairy belief.

How do such idiotic and unthinking people like Thea, (who glory in the
stupid idea that most on Earth will be torched for ever when they're
dead, but Thea and her cronies won't because they've spread
ignorence), exist in todays world??

TLC:
Sorry to burst your bubble - but, I believe that all of mankind will be saved!! from eternal damnation if they will but remember (if it be possible) to call out to Jesus in their time of need.
Jesus does not think any more highly of me than of you.
Jesus through God raising Him from the dead, has made the way for all of humankind to be free from the damnation that Satan gave us in the garden of Eden.
And, knowledge is what Adam and Eve thought they were gaining.  They gained knowledge all right, but the knowledge they gained is warped and seen only through the eyes of a *god* called Satan - and HE is trying to make sure God Almighty will not destroy him.  So, if this scenario, (and I believe it to be true), is really happening, then that means that all we have invented could have been invented better if we had had the *mind of Christ* instead of the devils imput into our thinking.
And Jesus promises a New Heaven and a New Earth that does not have the imprint of Satan on all there is.  And the thorns on the roses will be gone forever.  Who would not like to have a rose without the thorn?

ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com

<ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 9:36:30 AM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Feb 9, 4:32 am, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
> No, you can thank the town planners and developers for developing the
> land on which you reside, the builders for building your abode, the
> electricians / plumbers for ensuring that your home is heated and lit
> and you can also thank yours & our anticedents for the tireless work
> over the years to invent, create, engineer, study, learn and master
> many human endeavours, just to allow you to then say, the long
> deceased unemployed carpenter is looking after you!

Ah, but whom can you thank for knowing that it's evil to kill children
like tomcats kill kittens? You can thank the snake of Genesis who
facilitated our knowledge of the difference between good and evil!:->

Bob T.

<bob@synapse-cs.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 9:40:20 AM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 9, 6:10 am, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Bob T. <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote:

> > > Does your mind exist forever??
>
> > No, when my body dies my mind will die, too.
>
> Like I have explained elsewhere - Israel had two views of thinking about
> life or no life after death.  In the Bible they are called the Pharasees and
> the Saducees.  The Pharasees are the group that St. Paul was associated with
> and they believe in *far you see* as in life after death.  The Saducees *sad
> you see* are the ones who didn't believe in life after death.
> This is probably why Israel as a whole did not accept their Messiah the Lord
> Jesus Christ.
>

> > > Is your Spirit part of your mind??
>
> > It's either part of my mind or non-existent, depending on how you
> > define "Spirit".
>
> > - Bob T
>
> The Bible says there will be a divide between the soul and the spirit.
> Interesting!

The Bible is an old book of fairy tales. Interesting, yes, but
fictional.

- Bob T

> read more »- Hide quoted text -

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 9:45:12 AM2/9/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com
Yep that is the way to live.  We have four inches on the ground from a storm that came through last night and it is suppose to stick around.  Nice being retired - so I can stay inside and not have to get out in it.  I always liked the way we would get a coating of ice and then the snow on top -- before you got to go home at 5 p.m. of course, so that you were on a skating rink road all the way home.

> We were right at the edge of the mountains in Northern California.

> > > It's that *know-so* salvation - when we thank Jesus for everything, we
> > > become aware of the *down-payment* of our future inheritance.
>
> > Seems delusional to me.
>
> Yes it does, until you decide to get your *feet wet* and find out that you
> can walk across on dry land because you took the first step.

I doesn't take belief in God to walk on dry land. I do it all the
time, and I'm an atheist.

Of course, tell me what river parted for you.

> > > ta da
>
> > I don't get it.
>
> Sorry, I thought you might.
> You are saying that I will never be able to convince you of anything!

No I'm not. I'm saying that if you come up with convincing evidence
that God exists, then I will cease being an atheist. Metaphors about
things that exist - like dry land - are not evidence that other things
exist, like God.

Seems to me we are now getting around to the nitty-gritty of the problem of how to convince a die-hard atheist thinker into believing that Jesus died in his place on Calvary.
Knowing that I cannot convince anyone of anything -- only Jesus can save us -- and HE convinces us when we feed on the Bible texts that tell of our freedom in Christ Jesus, this means that I will have to feed you the WORD of what Jesus says.
Jesus said that if we come to HIM, HE will reward us -- and Paul says one of the rewards that we get is peace that passeth understanding - and Jesus said we would love our neighbors as ourself.

>  And
> so, *ta da* to me means, you said it - and you make it so.

I disagree that something is true just because someone says it. People
lie, people are delusionalp people are mentally ill, and people are
mistaken on a regular basis. People are wrong about a lot of things. I
see no evidence that any Christian is right about God.

I have to agree with you for the most part.  Most Christians I know have been brainwashed to believe what their denominational church teaches - and they don't have an understanding that Jesus died for all of mankind.

> > God

> > > ta da
>
> > "Ta da" what?
>
> Yes, Jesus said that the rain would be on the just and the unjust.

The roof over my head that the carpenters built, and that the
architect designed, keeps the rain off.

Yep, and God gave them the strength - to put that roof on -- I am scared of heights and so would not make a good roofer!

> Just
> because you don't believe in the fellow that is handing you a silver platter
> and for free,

I'm not being handed anything for free. I have to earn money by going
to work to pay for the roof over my head. Where is this "fellow" who
is handing me a silver platter? Sounds delusional to me.

God says if you will but reach out HIS Way, HE will meet you at the place where you quit reaching for HIM!  And God said that HE came that all of mankind would have life eternal in heaven with HIM!
It is a platter being handed to us by God Himself - in which are all the promises of the Bible.  Paul says all the promises are ours.  And when we take those promises -- one I like is Romans 8:1 *There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.*  How do you walk after the Spirit -- by saying, *Thank You, Jesus* continuously - *in all things giving Thanks* as this pleases God the Father.

> at that, as it only costs you your delusional self, is ta da!!

How is believing that an invisible fellow is handing out metallic
plates despite all evidence that he isn't "giving up my delusional
self" (whatever that is)? Seems like I would be embracing a delusion
if I believed that. I prefer reality.

But reality becomes enlivened when we realize the whole truth of why we are *born again* to be pleasing to God the Father.  It is mental enhancement that we all want - that only Jesus gives - to where you love your *neighbor as yourself* - meaning that you are compassionate and want them to come to know abundance in their life.

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 9:49:34 AM2/9/10
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 8:30 AM, ranjit_...@yahoo.com <ranjit_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

On Feb 9, 9:10 am, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Bob T. <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote:

> > > Does your mind exist forever??
>
> > No, when my body dies my mind will die, too.
>
> Like I have explained elsewhere - Israel had two views of thinking about
> life or no life after death.  In the Bible they are called the Pharasees and
> the Saducees.  The Pharasees are the group that St. Paul was associated with
> and they believe in *far you see* as in life after death.  The Saducees *sad
> you see*

Saducees was Zadokim/ Tsedekim in Hebrew. Tsedekim had another
meaning; it also meant "righteous people".

The Bible says that the Saducees did not believe in life after death.
They may have had a *form of godliness* but without believing that there is life after death - they don't have anything to be *good for*.

> are the ones who didn't believe in life after death.
> This is probably why Israel as a whole did not accept their Messiah the Lord
> Jesus Christ.

Israel as a whole might not have heard of him. As for those who did
hear of him, especially those who heard him speak, a more likely
reason is that most of them heard him in sermons in which he didn't
mention that he was either Messiah or Lord, so his audiences in those
sermons had no way to conclude that he thought he was Messiah or Lord.

At the day of Pentecost there were 5,000 who heard Peter preach and received the *down-payment* of their inheritance as the *fire fell from heaven* like it had in the upper room.

> > > Is your Spirit part of your mind??
>
> > It's either part of my mind or non-existent, depending on how you
> > define "Spirit".
> > - Bob T
>
> The Bible says there will be a divide between the soul and the spirit.

Joe can have fun explaining where this spirit came from (since thus
far, he has only explained that we have immortal souls that were
created for us).

> Interesting!

Yes, it would be interesting to know what the author who said that
thought he was talking about.

There is a difference apparently between our soul and our spirits.   Is our spirit our mind or is our soul our mind?

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 9:52:21 AM2/9/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com
Yep, Satan really did a number on mankind, didn't he?

thea

<thea.nob4@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 9:54:15 AM2/9/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com
When the Bible is applied in exactly the same way as those old *fairy tales* - you can have the same results.  So, I believe the Bible is the only book of applied science that make us into a human being who can get to heaven.

Simon Ewins

<sjewins@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 10:07:21 AM2/9/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com
[thea]

> Sorry to burst your bubble - but, I believe that all of mankind will be
> saved!! from eternal damnation if they will but remember (if it be
> possible) to call out to Jesus in their time of need.

First invent the problem, then provide an equally invented solution.

--
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not sure about the universe." - Einstein

"The human mind is inspired enough when it comes to inventing horrors;
it is when it tries to invent a Heaven that it shows itself cloddish."
[Evelyn Waugh]

Neil Kelsey

<neil_kelsey@hotmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 10:08:37 AM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 9, 6:45 am, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

None.

> > > Sorry, I thought you might.
> > > You are saying that I will never be able to convince you of anything!
>
> > No I'm not. I'm saying that if you come up with convincing evidence
> > that God exists, then I will cease being an atheist. Metaphors about
> > things that exist - like dry land - are not evidence that other things
> > exist, like God.
>
> Seems to me we are now getting around to the nitty-gritty of the problem of
> how to convince a die-hard atheist thinker into believing that Jesus died in
> his place on Calvary.

Come up with valid evidence that God exists.

> Knowing that I cannot convince anyone of anything -- only Jesus can save us
> -- and HE convinces us when we feed on the Bible texts that tell of our
> freedom in Christ Jesus, this means that I will have to feed you the WORD of
> what Jesus says.

Using the Bible to prove that the Bible is true isn't valid evidence
that God exists. In fact, it a circular argument fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_argument

> Jesus said that if we come to HIM, HE will reward us

I don't see any evidence that Christians are rewarded. In fact, I
don't see any difference between their lives and my life, as
illustrated by the fact that I have a roof over my head, and heat,
just like a Christian does.

> -- and Paul says one of
> the rewards that we get is peace that passeth understanding - and Jesus said
> we would love our neighbors as ourself.

Using the Bible to prove that the Bible is true isn't valid evidence
that God exists. In fact, it a circular argument fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_argument

> > >  And
> > > so, *ta da* to me means, you said it - and you make it so.
>
> > I disagree that something is true just because someone says it. People
> > lie, people are delusionalp people are mentally ill, and people are
> > mistaken on a regular basis. People are wrong about a lot of things. I
> > see no evidence that any Christian is right about God.
>
> I have to agree with you for the most part.  Most Christians I know have
> been brainwashed to believe what their denominational church teaches - and
> they don't have an understanding that Jesus died for all of mankind.

I'd count you among the brainwashed.

> > the

> > > Yes, Jesus said that the rain would be on the just and the unjust.
>
> > The roof over my head that the carpenters built, and that the
> > architect designed, keeps the rain off.
>
> Yep, and God gave them the strength - to put that roof on --

Eating the food that they earn from their job as carpenters is what
gives them strength, in addition to the exercise they get from their
job. And there is a rational explanation for where their food came
from. It seems delusional to invoke a magic invisible man with
kitchenware to explain how I have a roof over my head, and heat..

> I am scared of
> heights and so would not make a good roofer!

I was scared of heights until I decided to conquer my irrational
fears, and climbed down the Suicide Cliffs on Mount Seymour (which is
one of the venues for these Winter Olympics). I'd rather conquer my
irrational fears than cling to them, which I guess is why you're a
Christian and I'm an atheist.

> read more »- Hide quoted text -

JFG

<thelemiccatholic@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 1:19:00 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 8, 6:29 pm, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 5:23 am, JFG <thelemiccatho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > First: no mental picture can possibly be adequate.
>
> So why do the faithful persist in representations of same?
>
> God is infinite,
>
> How do you personally know that?

God reveals it. But a little reflection on your own part will tell
you that a finite God is useless as a God. What would be the sense in
worshiping, for all eternity, something finite?

>If god is infinate and your
> conception of god is finite, how can you even begin to understand such
> a notion as being true?

I simply recognize that my conception of God is not God.

>If it is simply a falsity, based on a human
> conceptualisation and it's adherants subsequently decided to call it
> infinite, well that's just so very coincidental isn't it?

You sound suspicious.

> > and every concept is finite by virtue of it being a concept.
>
> > But, after that, we can observe that God has revealed Himself as
> > Father, and ask, why?  What is the difference between a Father and a
> > Mother?  Why would God, in the first place, want to manifest as a
> > Parent?
>
> > The word "matter" is close to the word "Mater," which means mother.
> > We know there is both spirit and matter, and we know that the
> > characteristics of each are different, and we know that as human
> > beings, we are comprised of both.  Historically, and conceptually, we
> > have always associated the feminine principle (Yin) with matter, and
> > the masculine principle (Yang) with spirit.  Biologically, this
> > relates to the fact that it is the mother who bears children in her
> > womb and nurtures them physically with her milk.  The traditional role
> > of the father is more to instruct and protect.  To relate these
> > concepts to God, then, it is God who instructs us with His Word and
> > protects us by His Providence, whereas it is Nature that nurtures us
> > and provides for our physical needs.  Thus we speak of "Mother
> > Nature," and also of "Mother Earth."
>
> > Lest anyone think these ideas are chauvinistic, we should note well
> > that any human being contains both, matter and spirit, Yin and Yang.
> > What we have called masculine and feminine attributes, any human male
> > and any human female possesses both.  But if we seek to assign gender
> > to God, it is more natural to assign Him masculinity, since the
> > feminine aspects of the requirements of our lives tend to be fulfilled
> > by Nature, rather than by God directly.  God, indeed, also contains
> > both, but towards His Creation, He is more properly a Father than a
> > Mother, having created Mother Nature (in an allegorical sense) as our
> > nurturer.  It would be far less proper to neutralize God and call Him
> > "it" rather than "He" or "She," since that would make God impersonal,
> > and He is Personal.  Since we are human beings, and the human race is
> > both male and female, we associate personhood with male or female, and
> > thus God, if He is Parent to us, must be either Father or Mother.
> > Since we have Nature for a Mother, we have God for a Father.
>
> > And finally, in the fullness of time, God came among us as Jesus, and
> > has Mary for a Mother, and subsequently gave us Mary for our Mother.
> > So now we have Mary for a Mother and God for a Father, just as God
> > Himself does, in Jesus.
>
> What utter balderdash. You people make this up as you go along I'm
> sure.

How can you be sure?

> > On Feb 8, 5:39 am, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
>
> > > Who figured that the christian god is a fella? Wouldn't this
> > > supernatural supervisor be a little more 'advanced' than that? No, not
> > > a woman, but, you know, sexless.
>
> > > Can the faithful fill me in please. Paint me a mental picture of this

Bob T.

<bob@synapse-cs.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 1:24:55 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 9, 6:54 am, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Bob T. <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote:
>
> > > The Bible says there will be a divide between the soul and the spirit.
> > > Interesting!
>
> > The Bible is an old book of fairy tales.  Interesting, yes, but
> > fictional.
>
> > - Bob T
>
> When the Bible is applied in exactly the same way as those old *fairy tales*
> - you can have the same results.

Yes, believing in the Bible is just like believing in Thor, Zeus, or
Kali.

> So, I believe the Bible is the only book
> of applied science that make us into a human being who can get to heaven.

But the Bible is not any kind of science book, it's a religious text.
If you read it literally as science, it's just plain wrong.

- Bob T

ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com

<ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 1:59:29 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Feb 9, 9:54 am, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Bob T. <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote:

> > The Bible is an old book of fairy tales.  Interesting, yes, but
> > fictional.

> When the Bible is applied in exactly the same way as those old *fairy tales*

> - you can have the same results.  So, I believe the Bible is the only book
> of applied science that make us into a human being who can get to heaven.

Then, since Jesus didn't give his audiences any book, he didn't want
them to get to heaven:-> Do literate people and societies have an
advantage in getting to heaven? (Illiterate people and societies don't
read books and when the whole world was illiterate, there were no
books)

ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com

<ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 2:22:29 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 9, 9:49 am, thea <thea.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 8:30 AM, ranjit_math...@yahoo.com <

What did he preach, that Jesus had not preached? Why should his
audience have assumed that he was getting this information from Jesus?

> and received
> the *down-payment* of their inheritance as the *fire fell from heaven* like
> it had in the upper room.

Peter's audience didn't see anything that happened in the upper room.

> > > The Bible says there will be a divide between the soul and the spirit.
>
> > Joe can have fun explaining where this spirit came from (since thus
> > far, he has only explained that we have immortal souls that were
> > created for us).
>
> > > Interesting!
>
> > Yes, it would be interesting to know what the author who said that
> > thought he was talking about.
>
> There is a difference apparently between our soul and our spirits.   Is our
> spirit our mind or is our soul our mind?
>

> > --

> > atheism-vs-christ...@googlegroups.com<atheism-vs-christianity%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Bill A

<williamangel999@hotmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 3:59:55 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Returning to Max's original question (smile).

Here is a selection from Psalm 146:9:

"The LORD protects the strangers;
He supports the fatherless and the widow,
But He thwarts the way of the wicked."
New American Standard Bible (©1995)

So I think that it's in the attributes or qualities associated with
God, rather than through some literal physical image, that God's
masculine characteristic is asserted. "Protecting the fatherless and
the widow"

Brock Organ

<brockorgan@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 4:00:11 PM2/9/10
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
> Oh, that's the part where Mary was raped by some divine thingy, yes? I
> mean, I don't recall reading anywhere where she consented to anything
> here.

"And Mary said, ... may it be done to me according to your word."

http://nasb.scripturetext.com/luke/1.htm

Regards,

Brock

Brock Organ

<brockorgan@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 4:03:43 PM2/9/10
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 9:16 AM, thea <thea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:32 AM, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
>>
>> No, you can thank the town planners and developers for developing the
>> land on which you reside, the builders for building your abode, the
>> electricians / plumbers for ensuring that your home is heated and lit
>> and you can also thank yours & our anticedents for the tireless work
>> over the years to invent, create, engineer, study, learn and master
>> many human endeavours, just to allow you to then say, the long
>> deceased unemployed carpenter is looking after you!
>
> God gave the ingenuity to the fellows who invented and made our way of
> living possible.
> Thanking Jesus for all of this means that I don't give human kind glory for
> being who they were with God's help.

Nicely put, thea. Humankind plants, but God brings the increase. :)

Regards,

Brock

Brock Organ

<brockorgan@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 4:05:30 PM2/9/10
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Bob T. <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote:

> Yes, believing in the Bible is just like believing in Thor, Zeus, or
> Kali.

Or alternatively, like believing in the existence of a continental
land mass south of Indonesia. :)

Regards,

Brock

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 9, 2010, 5:38:14 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Your god is also mans creation. Your god wasn't the first fallacy
created nor will it be the last.

> > <atheism-vs-christianity%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<atheism-vs-christianity%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

> > <y%252Buns...@googlegroups.com <y%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>

> > <y%252Buns...@googlegroups.com <y%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>

> >http://groups.google.com/group/atheism-vs-christianity?hl=en.-Hide

> > <atheism-vs-christianity%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<atheism-vs-christianity%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

> > <y%252Buns...@googlegroups.com <y%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>

> > <atheism-vs-christianity%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<atheism-vs-christianity%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 9, 2010, 5:43:07 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
I, like millions of others don't require a book to advise me on ethics
& morality. Are you saying that atheists are unable to act ethically
or morally?

On Feb 9, 10:36 pm, "ranjit_math...@yahoo.com"

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 9, 2010, 5:49:08 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 10, 2:19 am, JFG <thelemiccatho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 8, 6:29 pm, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 9, 5:23 am, JFG <thelemiccatho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > First: no mental picture can possibly be adequate.
>
> > So why do the faithful persist in representations of same?
>
> > God is infinite,
>
> > How do you personally know that?
>
> God reveals it.

How?

But a little reflection on your own part will tell
> you that a finite God is useless as a God.  What would be the sense in
> worshiping, for all eternity, something finite?

Why not? If this god is the representation of man (in my image etc)
then is this not a finite representation?

> >If god is infinate and your
> > conception of god is finite, how can you even begin to understand such
> > a notion as being true?
>
> I simply recognize that my conception of God is not God.

Or, in other words, you have no idea what your god is, isn't or
whether your god exists, doesn't or frankly, anything about this
notion of your god at all.

> >If it is simply a falsity, based on a human
> > conceptualisation and it's adherants subsequently decided to call it
> > infinite, well that's just so very coincidental isn't it?
>
> You sound suspicious.

You're right. I should just accept the god delusion without question.

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 9, 2010, 5:54:11 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
You're own source again

“The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and [the power of the Most High
will overshadow you]; and for that reason the holy Child shall be
called the Son of God.

She had no choice.

God the rapist

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 9, 2010, 5:55:21 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
No belief required. I'm here. Do you want pictures?

JFG

<thelemiccatholic@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 6:17:23 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 9, 5:49 pm, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
> On Feb 10, 2:19 am, JFG <thelemiccatho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > So why do the faithful persist in representations of same?
>
> > > God is infinite,
>
> > > How do you personally know that?
>
> > God reveals it.
>
> How?

In the Catholic Faith.

> But a little reflection on your own part will tell
>
> > you that a finite God is useless as a God.  What would be the sense in
> > worshiping, for all eternity, something finite?
>
> Why not?

Seriously? Suit yourself, I guess. I'll go for the Infinite.

>If this god is the representation of man (in my image etc)
> then is this not a finite representation?

Yes. Certainly, a finite 'god' would be finite. It just wouldn't be
God.

> > >If god is infinate and your
> > > conception of god is finite, how can you even begin to understand such
> > > a notion as being true?
>
> > I simply recognize that my conception of God is not God.
>
> Or, in other words, you have no idea what your god is, isn't or
> whether your god exists, doesn't or frankly, anything about this
> notion of your god at all.

Well, I didn't say any of that, nor imply it. You are free to think
what you like, but don't attribute your thoughts to my words.

> > >If it is simply a falsity, based on a human
> > > conceptualisation and it's adherants subsequently decided to call it
> > > infinite, well that's just so very coincidental isn't it?
>
> > You sound suspicious.
>
> You're right. I should just accept the god delusion without question.

Begging the question that it is a delusion at all, but, it is too late
for you to accept God without question. You've already questioned,
and I gave you an answer. I guess you didn't like my answer, but
whether or not you like it isn't up to me to decide.

And I've asked you a question. How can you be sure?

JFG

<thelemiccatholic@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 6:29:08 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
"38 And Mary said: Behold the handmaid of the Lord: be it done to me
according to your word. "

That was her consent. How could it be otherwise?

JFG

<thelemiccatholic@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 6:32:19 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Additionally, you might want to check a dictionary before you
embarrass yourself further.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rape

God did not have sex with Mary at all, let alone forcibly.

On Feb 9, 5:54 pm, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:

Steve in Virginia

<chandler2368@hotmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 7:19:23 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
You appear to have missed the point. Religions make extraordinary
claims about the cosmos, the origins of life, supernatural beings and
miraculous events. Despite the fact that these claims are recorded,
saved for posterity and embraced by thousands, if not millions of
people does not establish them as factual. They are anecdotal, or
hearsay. On a daily basis science continues to disproves them.

Demon possession is more succinctly explained by mental illness.
Geology, chemistry, physics and mathematics have proven far more
elegant and substantive in describing the origins of the universe, the
earth and the evolution of life on earth that divine sleight of
hand.

Greed, ignorance, war, cruelty, obsession with of power, selfishness,
inhumanity, lack of empathy and indifference are far more terrible
than some capering fork-tailed bugaboo, lurking under the bed, waiting
to drag some 12 year old boy to hell because he reading an illicit
copy of Playboy, by flash-light under the covers.

Cheers,

Steve

On Feb 8, 10:09 pm, gousaphe <peterd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> NoSteveyou do not have to but if you want to disprove us then this
> is the easier way... but I certainly do not wish to be disproved nor
> wishing you going up against the mean fella.
>
> On Feb 8, 7:50 pm,SteveinVirginia<chandler2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Actually, I DO  NOT have to prove that there is some brimstone-reeking
> > boogyman, with a pointy tail and a pitchfork.  The onus falls on the
> > true believers to establish the fact that devils, demons and other
> > monsters are lurking in the closets of humankind.  To loosely
> > paraphrase Carl Sagan, you make an extraordinary claim, you'd better
> > have extraordinary proof to back it up.  And I don't mean a bunch of
> > ancient Middle Eastern campfire tales, or quasi-hysterical anecdotal
> > evidence painting a variety of mental disorders as  "possession".
>
> > Cheers,
>
> >Steve

> > On Feb 8, 10:33 am, gousaphe <peterd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Our heavenly Father is in heaven.
> > > We are on earth , you are on earth. You atheists have not made any
> > > headway speculating heaven. Instead you should focus on here and now.
> > > Christians have stated that there are evils in this world and that the
> > > Devil is here and now on earth. If you want to disprove us, all you
> > > have to do is to disprove that this Devil existence. It would be
> > > easier wouldn't it?
> > > On the other hand, if you are truly open minded and curious and would
> > > like to do the world some good then by all means start finding out who
> > > this fella is.

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 9, 2010, 7:33:36 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
> And I've asked you a question.  How can you be sure?

I was using your statement i.e.

"First: no mental picture can possibly be adequate. God is infinite,

and every concept is finite by virtue of it being a concept."

& me, later: > > > and every concept is finite by virtue of it being a
concept.

So my question to you was & remains, whilst using your own premise,
how can you know your god, when your god is infinate, but mans concept
of god is finite. (Unless of course some men are divine themselves)

You make the claim, so how say you?

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 9, 2010, 7:38:39 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
No sorry, that's just biblical allegory. You can't take that part
about Mary's alleged consent in the bible as anything other than
metaphor. (I've learnt from many a god nutter, that one needs to
interpret these things to arrive at one's own position of belief). So
the bit about [the power of the Most High will overshadow you]; that's
rape as far as I can tell.

God's pimp (the angel) said it *will* happen & it did. Mary just did
as she was told.

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 9, 2010, 7:47:29 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Sorry, immaculate rape then.

gousaphe

<peterdaol@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 9:27:23 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
No Steve, I wasn't talk about demon and demon possession. No boggy man
with pony tail and pitchfork. But specific spiritual entity that is
referred to throughout the Bible such as in these passages:

Matthew 4.1"Then as Jesus led up of the spirit into the wilderness to
be tempted of the devil..." and "John 8.44"...he was a murderer from
the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth
in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks of his own: for he is a liar,
and the father of it."

Are they extraordinary claims about the cosmos or about the origins of
life?
I think they are rather claims to the origin of lies. And for the
devil being supernatural being?...He is not, he is just a spiritual
entity just as I am.

Now then to science' claims to elegance. Don't be so sure either.
Science has essentially claimed men to be no more different than
monkey then repulsed in horror when their learned subjects treated
each other like animals as we have seen during the Nazis years.

JFG

<thelemiccatholic@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 11:23:42 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 9, 7:33 pm, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
> > And I've asked you a question.  How can you be sure?
>
> I was using your statement i.e.
>
> "First: no mental picture can possibly be adequate.  God is infinite,
> and every concept is finite by virtue of it being a concept."
>
> & me, later: > > > and every concept is finite by virtue of it being a
> concept.
>
> So my question to you was & remains, whilst using your own premise,
> how can you know your god, when your god is infinate, but mans concept
> of god is finite. (Unless of course some men are divine themselves)
>
> You make the claim, so how say you?

I already answered you. God has revealed that He is Infinite. I
accept it on Faith. Faith, unbeknownst to those without it, does lead
to wisdom, knowledge, and understanding.

But you have failed to answer my question, and now have snipped it
away, so I'll restore it for you:

You wrote,

"You people make this up as you go along I'm sure."

To which I queried,

"How can you be sure?"

JFG

<thelemiccatholic@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 11:24:26 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
No sex -> no rape.

JFG

<thelemiccatholic@gmail.com>
Feb 9, 2010, 11:26:09 PM2/9/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 9, 7:38 pm, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
> No sorry, that's just biblical allegory. You can't take that part
> about Mary's alleged consent in the bible as anything other than
> metaphor. (I've learnt from many a god nutter, that one needs to
> interpret these things to arrive at one's own position of belief). So
> the bit about [the power of the Most High will overshadow you]; that's
> rape as far as I can tell.
>
> God's pimp (the angel) said it *will* happen & it did. Mary just did
> as she was told.

Ah. Obviously, you intend to think what you like, and do not need any
input from me. I wonder why you asked at all, but I don't actually
care whether or not you say why.

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 10, 2010, 12:15:56 AM2/10/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
No sex - no child

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 10, 2010, 12:19:29 AM2/10/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Oh I see, you can reach any convoluted and unprovable belief system
you so choose, amend it it at will, dependent on circumstances, but
not I, is that right? Only god nutters have the right to make things
up and expect that any belief that they utter is to be accepted
unchallenged at face value, yes?

JFG

<thelemiccatholic@gmail.com>
Feb 10, 2010, 12:29:37 AM2/10/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 10, 12:15 am, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
> No sex - no child

Except where "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and [the power of

JFG

<thelemiccatholic@gmail.com>
Feb 10, 2010, 12:30:39 AM2/10/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 10, 12:19 am, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
> Oh I see, you can reach any convoluted and unprovable belief system
> you so choose, amend it it at will, dependent on circumstances, but
> not I, is that right?

No. I don't do that.

> Only god nutters have the right to make things
> up and expect that any belief that they utter is to be accepted
> unchallenged at face value, yes?

No. I don't invent things about my religion.

JFG

<thelemiccatholic@gmail.com>
Feb 10, 2010, 12:41:02 AM2/10/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 9, 7:19 pm, Steve in Virginia <chandler2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> You appear to have missed the point.  Religions make extraordinary
> claims about the cosmos, the origins of life, supernatural beings and
> miraculous events.  Despite the fact that these claims are recorded,
> saved for posterity and embraced by thousands, if not millions of
> people does not establish them as factual.  They are anecdotal, or
> hearsay. On a daily basis science continues to disproves them.
>
> Demon possession is more succinctly  explained by mental illness.

Care to demonstrate that?

Let us take the case of a person hearing voices in their head, telling
them to do bad things. A theory of demon possession would explain
this as a spiritual entity, speaking to that person in their mind. A
theory of mental illness would explain it, how? Try to be succinct.

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 10, 2010, 12:49:21 AM2/10/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
My mistake, I thought your question referenced something else.
Notwithstanding that, if I may clarify for you further. (not that you
care of course, but then again, god nutters care for little other than
what's prescribed for them in their nutter books)

1. The rather lame etymological correlation between matter & mater as
the root derivation for both physical matter & spirit which you state
unequivically is known (i.e. "We know there is both spirit and
matter". There is no physical proof of 'spirit' (i.e. spirituality)
This is utter conjecture.

2. The social development of males & females to 'job descriptions' is
more about the evolution of the species, not as the result of
primitive men assigning tasks according to book of fairy tales.

3. "but towards His Creation, He is more properly a Father than a
Mother" Are you are literal creationist....you know Genesis along with
the Adam & Eve shit? Or is that just allegory too? If it's the former,
you are a first class nutter. If it's the latter, your a contemporary
religious pragmatist or hypocrite. One or the other.

4. "And finally, in the fullness of time, God came among us as Jesus,

and has Mary for a Mother, and subsequently gave us Mary for our
Mother. So now we have Mary for a Mother and God for a Father, just as

God Himself does, in Jesus." Fair enough, you didn't make it up. Some
chap 1900 years ago managed that and you sir, bought it!

You people (in the broadest sense) could be defined as including your
religious predecessors as well as you & your peers. It's your club
that's been going for centuries, so I concede that I cannot know that,
to which there is no proof, nor can I disprove that which has not
proof (Trying to disprove a negative does have its inherent problems
though) but being the fair chap that you are, neither can you. Which
is why you work on blind faith.

But conversely, can you be quite sure that the Flying Spaghetti
Monster and HIS adherants, the pastafarians have got it wrong as well.
What about the Scientologists.....are you damned sure these guys
haven't got it right either?

Well, being a betting man, my money is on; all religions are based on
unprovable beliefs, nothing else. Your beliefs are no different to any
contemporary nutters anywhere in the world. The ancients had an excuse
in that they were significantly hamstrung by not having the knowledge
we have of our universe today.

But you have no excuse, other than perhaps a well crafted program of
indoctrination.

So, in the final analysis, I'm
99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999% sure that you people make
this up as you go along. But if you didn't, who did?

Oh that's right, the supernatural supervisor told someone.

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 10, 2010, 12:50:44 AM2/10/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
That's what I said, immaculate rape

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Feb 10, 2010, 12:55:54 AM2/10/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Feb 10, 1:30 pm, JFG <thelemiccatho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 10, 12:19 am, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
>
> > Oh I see, you can reach any convoluted and unprovable belief system
> > you so choose, amend it it at will, dependent on circumstances, but
> > not I, is that right?
>
> No.  I don't do that.

You're a literalist then. You're a Catholic! Every bit of the bible is
to be taken literally, is that right?

> > Only god nutters have the right to make things
> > up and expect that any belief that they utter is to be accepted
> > unchallenged at face value, yes?
>
> No.  I don't invent things about my religion.

No, you're right. You're way too low on the food chain. The blokes in
the Vatican change the rules when it suits, not plebes like you.
Apologies

It is loading more messages.