Astrid 3.0 Beta

瀏覽次數:167 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Tim Su

未讀,
2009年9月13日 清晨5:25:332009/9/13
收件者:Astrid Power Users List
Some of you may be wondering why things have been so quiet with Astrid
lately. There are a lot of reasons, but here's one of them: Astrid
3.0! Today I'm ready to share some of my work with the world. If you're a
programmer, I'd like you to help vet the new plugin system by trying your
hand at writing a plugin. If you're not, and you're feeling brave, please use it and
report any bugs or improvements that can be made.

What is Astrid 3.0?

It's a re-write of several components of Astrid, especially the data layer (how data
is stored). The upshot is a more pluggable, (sometimes) faster Astrid. While it
currently doesn't have most of the features Astrid 2.x does, I am sure that
its abilities will eventually far surpass its predecessor.

What does it have right now?

Astrid 3.0, out of the box, supports task importance, urgency, and "hidden until"
settings. I've written one example plug-in for tags, and am working on one
for reminders. That means, as of right now, no notes, RTM sync, timing,
Google Calendar synchronization. It also can't import your tasks from Astrid
2.x yet (though it's a separate app so you can still access your old
tasks). Plus, it's not very polished. Yes, there is a lot of work left to be
done!

Plugins? What Plugins?

Astrid can now be enhanced by third-party apps. This means that a lot of
stuff that was a central part of Astrid has now come outside and is
optional / upgradable. If you don't use tags, you never have to see another tag.
If you like tags a lot, someone could make a better tag plugin that is cooler than
the built-in one. Yay choices.

I came up with the following list of plugin ideas. If you would like to try
making a plugin, please reply with what you're going to do.
It doesn't have
to be on this list at all! Feel free to e-mail me to discuss implementation and
give feedback. For some of these plugins, like RTM synchronization, most of
the hard work is done already and in Astrid 2.x.

  • Tagging - add tags to tasks, filter by tag
    • timsu: done with initial version!
  • Reminders - tasks send alerts when approaching due dates
    • timsu: in progress (plugins/reminders), doesn't work yet
  • Notes - add one or more notes to your tasks
  • Timer - time how long it takes to finish tasks
  • Repeats - create a new task when an old one is completed
  • GTD - categorize tasks into Next Action, Waiting For, or Someday/Maybe. @contexts.
  • Backup - dump tasks to SD card, restore
  • Remember The Milk Synchronization - 'nuff said!
  • Google Calendar Integration - add calendar entries pertaining to tasks
  • Photo Attachment - take a picture, attach it to a task
  • Link to Contact - add a contact to a task, call or send e-mail when you complete the task

Links:

Astrid 3.0 APK (use your phone to download & install):
http://cloud.github.com/downloads/timsu/astrid-3.0/astrid-3.0.apk

Astrid Tags Plugin (install to add tagging features):
http://cloud.github.com/downloads/timsu/astrid-3.0/astrid-plugin-tags.apk

Astrid 3.0 Source Code on Github:
http://github.com/timsu/astrid-3.0

API Overview and Instructions
http://groups.google.com/group/astrid-power/web/astrid-3-0-plugin-overview

Ok have fun, be safe, e-mail the list with your questions!

Tim

ps: trying out github. Let me know how you like it. Launchpad is really slow!

scoobie

未讀,
2009年9月13日 中午12:23:572009/9/13
收件者:Astrid Power Users
Congrads on the release Tim

On 13 Sep, 10:25, Tim Su <t...@todoroo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> the hard work is done already and in Astrid 2.x.Tagging - add tags to tasks, filter by tagtimsu: done with initial version!Reminders - tasks send alerts when approaching due datestimsu: in progress (plugins/reminders), doesn't work yetNotes - add one or more notes to your tasksTimer - time how long it takes to finish tasksRepeats - create a new task when an old one is completedGTD - categorize tasks into Next Action, Waiting For, or Someday/Maybe. @contexts.Backup - dump tasks to SD card, restoreRemember The Milk Synchronization - 'nuff said!Google Calendar Integration - add calendar entries pertaining to tasksPhoto Attachment - take a picture, attach it to a taskLink to Contact - add a contact to a task, call or send e-mail when you complete the taskLinks:Astrid 3.0 APK (use your phone to download & install):http://cloud.github.com/downloads/timsu/astrid-3.0/astrid-3.0.apkAstrid Tags Plugin (install to add tagging features):http://cloud.github.com/downloads/timsu/astrid-3.0/astrid-plugin-tags.apkAstrid 3.0 Source Code on Github:http://github.com/timsu/astrid-3.0API Overview and Instructionshttp://groups.google.com/group/astrid-power/web/astrid-3-0-plugin-overview

Mike

未讀,
2009年9月17日 下午2:03:162009/9/17
收件者:Astrid Power Users
Is the plugin framework written in such a way that plugin 'a' can
access the functionality of plugin 'b'?

On Sep 13, 2:25 am, Tim Su <t...@todoroo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> the hard work is done already and in Astrid 2.x.Tagging - add tags to tasks, filter by tagtimsu: done with initial version!Reminders - tasks send alerts when approaching due datestimsu: in progress (plugins/reminders), doesn't work yetNotes - add one or more notes to your tasksTimer - time how long it takes to finish tasksRepeats - create a new task when an old one is completedGTD - categorize tasks into Next Action, Waiting For, or Someday/Maybe. @contexts.Backup - dump tasks to SD card, restoreRemember The Milk Synchronization - 'nuff said!Google Calendar Integration - add calendar entries pertaining to tasksPhoto Attachment - take a picture, attach it to a taskLink to Contact - add a contact to a task, call or send e-mail when you complete the taskLinks:Astrid 3.0 APK (use your phone to download & install):http://cloud.github.com/downloads/timsu/astrid-3.0/astrid-3.0.apkAstrid Tags Plugin (install to add tagging features):http://cloud.github.com/downloads/timsu/astrid-3.0/astrid-plugin-tags.apkAstrid 3.0 Source Code on Github:http://github.com/timsu/astrid-3.0API Overview and Instructionshttp://groups.google.com/group/astrid-power/web/astrid-3-0-plugin-overview

Piligrim

未讀,
2009年9月17日 下午3:49:162009/9/17
收件者:Astrid Power Users
At task editing, due time always changes to current date/time and it
should be edited :(

Tim Su

未讀,
2009年9月17日 下午6:56:172009/9/17
收件者:astrid...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

Yes this will work. Plugins can store metadata associated with tasks. This metadata is stored within Astrid, and is exposed with a ContentProvider. If plugins want to store private data, though, they can also do that by having a local data store.

All metadata is namespaced, so in order to interact with plugins, you'll have to know the namespace of the plugin you want.

For example, the tags plugin stores metadata with namespace "tdr:tags" and key "tag". If you wanted to read a task's tags, you could do that if you knew those values.

Tim

Sieb

未讀,
2009年10月14日 凌晨3:02:032009/10/14
收件者:Astrid Power Users
Any news? It's been awkwardly quiet around the 3.0 release during the
past few weeks. I'm really looking for something better than OpenLoopz
in terms of GTD Capability but Astrid 2.xx is not up to the task.
Really looking forward to the 3.0.

On Sep 13, 6:25 pm, Tim Su <t...@todoroo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> the hard work is done already and in Astrid 2.x.Tagging - add tags to tasks, filter by tagtimsu: done with initial version!Reminders - tasks send alerts when approaching due datestimsu: in progress (plugins/reminders), doesn't work yetNotes - add one or more notes to your tasksTimer - time how long it takes to finish tasksRepeats - create a new task when an old one is completedGTD - categorize tasks into Next Action, Waiting For, or Someday/Maybe. @contexts.Backup - dump tasks to SD card, restoreRemember The Milk Synchronization - 'nuff said!Google Calendar Integration - add calendar entries pertaining to tasksPhoto Attachment - take a picture, attach it to a taskLink to Contact - add a contact to a task, call or send e-mail when you complete the taskLinks:Astrid 3.0 APK (use your phone to download & install):http://cloud.github.com/downloads/timsu/astrid-3.0/astrid-3.0.apkAstrid Tags Plugin (install to add tagging features):http://cloud.github.com/downloads/timsu/astrid-3.0/astrid-plugin-tags.apkAstrid 3.0 Source Code on Github:http://github.com/timsu/astrid-3.0API Overview and Instructionshttp://groups.google.com/group/astrid-power/web/astrid-3-0-plugin-overview

2009年10月18日 下午6:42:392009/10/18
收件者:astrid...@googlegroups.com
I hear ya, dude. I decided to go back to school to finish my MS degree, and, between that and my day job, and fixing some of the outstanding issues in Astrid 2.x, free time has been scarce.

I won't complain, though. I'm hoping there's only one more Astrid 2.x release left, and then I can focus all of my efforts on 3.0. Please be patient!

Tim
--
Tim Su
Lead Engineer, Astrid & Todoroo

takabanana

未讀,
2009年12月16日 清晨7:54:472009/12/16
收件者:Astrid Power Users
Any updates on Astrid 3.0?

Looking forward to GTD and Toodledo support!
Would love to help with development too...

-taka

Tim Su

未讀,
2009年12月17日 凌晨2:40:202009/12/17
收件者:astrid...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the inquiry! I'm still plugging away at 3.0 - writing unit tests and finishing up the core set of plugins necessary for an alpha release.

The plugin API is not complete yet - I was working on it, but I realized that I needed to release something, so I decided to hold off on a public API and get plugins working with the private API for now, and then worry about getting the public API ready. Ideally, I'd like for the public API to work like the private API, since I really like it :)

Help with development would be awesome! There's so much that would be awesome to see in this version. The core code is looking pretty stable :)

Tim

takabanana wrote:
Any updates on Astrid 3.0?

Looking forward to GTD and Toodledo support!
Would love to help with development too...

-taka

Piotr Krukowiecki

未讀,
2009年12月27日 下午4:39:362009/12/27
收件者:Astrid Power Users
Hi :)

I'm using Astrid 2.10 and it's a very nice app. It's missing some
features that seems to be available in hopefully-soon-to-be-3.0 (i.e.
multiple lists). Is there a way to try it before it's released?

My phone is not rooted so I can't install .apk AFAIK. Building&running
it from eclipse should be ok for me, I got the HelloAndroid working,
so if there was a Building Astrid Howto I could try it out.

On 17 Gru, 08:40, Tim Su <t...@todoroo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the inquiry! I'm still plugging away at 3.0 - writing unit tests and finishing up the core set of plugins necessary for an alpha release.

> The plugin API is not complete yet - I was working on it, but I realized that I needed to releasesomething, so I decided to hold off on a public API and get plugins working with the private API for now, and then worry about getting the public API ready. Ideally, I'd like for the public API to work like the private API, since I really like it :)

> Help with development would be awesome! There's so much that would be awesome to see in this version. The core code is looking pretty stable :)
> Tim

> takabanana wrote:Any updates on Astrid 3.0? Looking forward to GTD and Toodledo support! Would love to help with development too... -taka -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Astrid Power Users" group. To post to this group, send email toastri...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email toastrid-powe...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/astrid-power?hl=en.

Piotr Krukowiecki

未讀,
2009年12月27日 下午5:12:552009/12/27
收件者:Astrid Power Users
Hi,

I'm not sure if my previous mail was sent... in short I'm interested
in testing Astrid 3.0.

I got sources and compiled it in Eclipse and started in emulator. I'm
using Android 1.5 target (my cell phone has 1.5)

I have some questions:
- I'm mainly interested in multi-list feature. How to use it? I could
create a task but I've seen no "list" selection. Do I need to add a
plugin?
- I could not add a widget - another plugin needed?
- I've create a new task and selected "No 'Urgency", but when I
clicked Save it said "task due in 7 days". Is that correct?
- Can it be installed in real phone (from Eclipse build) if I have
Astrid 2.10 installed there?

On 17 Gru, 08:40, Tim Su <t...@todoroo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the inquiry! I'm still plugging away at 3.0 - writing unit tests and finishing up the core set of plugins necessary for an alpha release.

> The plugin API is not complete yet - I was working on it, but I realized that I needed to releasesomething, so I decided to hold off on a public API and get plugins working with the private API for now, and then worry about getting the public API ready. Ideally, I'd like for the public API to work like the private API, since I really like it :)

> Help with development would be awesome! There's so much that would be awesome to see in this version. The core code is looking pretty stable :)
> Tim

> takabanana wrote:Any updates on Astrid 3.0? Looking forward to GTD and Toodledo support! Would love to help with development too... -taka -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Astrid Power Users" group. To post to this group, send email toastri...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email toastrid-powe...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/astrid-power?hl=en.

Everett Guerny

未讀,
2009年12月27日 晚上10:49:552009/12/27
收件者:Astrid Power Users
You actually can install an apk file on a non-rooted device. You just
need to enable "Unknown sources" under Settings > Applications. The
package can then be installed using a file manager.

On Dec 27, 4:39 pm, Piotr Krukowiecki

Tim Su

未讀,
2009年12月28日 凌晨2:32:032009/12/28
收件者:astrid...@googlegroups.com
Piotr,

I'm currently working on the multiple list feature (I'm assuming you mean Remember the Milk lists), so it's on a local branch and doesn't quite work yet. To answer your other questions,
- there's no widget yet. Astrid 3 contains mostly new code and so I haven't ported the widget yet
- Urgency - sounds like a bug :P
- you should be able to install it as Everett said on your phone. Build an APK, put it on the web somewhere, and have your phone download it. Since the package name is different than Astrid 2, they are completely separate applications with no shared data and can coexist.

yeah, there are some issues with Astrid 3, it's not really where I want it to be for a first release yet - but feel free to play around with it. The RTM plugin is what I'm currently working on. It's going ok, slowly.

Tim

Piotr Krukowiecki wrote:

Piotr Krukowiecki

未讀,
2009年12月28日 下午4:42:192009/12/28
收件者:astrid...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys, I got it installed (using adb install - seems to be less problematic than putting apk on internet)

Tim, I didn't mean RTM lists, but just simple local lists. I don't use Remember the Milk.

I'm looking for a simple TODO/Wishlist/GTD app that supports following use cases/features:

1. "shopping list" / "next action" context
   * used to keep things to do now/today/tomorrow
   * widget to display the list on home screen
   * easy marking as "done"

2. time-based list
   * items are time-constrained, i.e. must be done by some time, or take place at certain time
   * calendar integration
   * widget and reminder - already provided by calendar?

3. other lists
   * different lists like "good ideas for presents for next Christmas", "ideas for improving Astrid" ;)
   * lists are not displayed in the home screen widget

Other features, in decreasing priority:
- adding new items quickly/easily (in case I need to note something / just got a good idea and don't want to forget it)
   * attaching/recording a voice message/picture would be nice
- sublist/projects/embedded lists (a list of Christmas presents for whole family - each family member gets his own item/action)
- "contact-type action" (idea from OpenLoopz or Shuffle) - easy access to a contact from an action

I've already tried several apps, like OpenLoopz and Shuffle, but Astrid 2.x seemed to be closest to my ideal so far. I can write what I liked/disliked in each app if anyone is interested.

Odin Omdal Hørthe

未讀,
2009年12月29日 清晨6:48:572009/12/29
收件者:astrid...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Piotr Krukowiecki
<piotr.kruko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a simple TODO/Wishlist/GTD app that supports following use
> cases/features:

Oi! This is just what I also want. Please elaborate what you
liked/disliked with the other apps. I haven't set out time to think
about a todo-list program, but have found the ones I could find didn't
totallt fit what I deep down inside knew I needed. Also, syncing
without unautonomous services would be rather swell (I could always
set up my own server for it, I just don't like using proprietary
systems (ohwell, I've got a gmail address, but email is distributed
and open - I could, and will, easily switch)). :-)

--
Beste helsing,
Odin Hørthe Omdal <odin....@gmail.com>

Jens

未讀,
2009年12月29日 凌晨1:08:572009/12/29
收件者:Astrid Power Users
Hi Piotr, hello all!

Perhaps you should consider to use a note-application also - for the
things that are not (time based) todos?!

I have used Evernote for my Christmas list this year (supporting
"attaching/recording a voice message/picture" already) and moved the
things over to Astrid if they became real tasks (buy XXX on
20.12.2009, 10:00...).
Of course your requests are useful - but from my point of view a TODO-
application is not a notepad.

Kind regards!

Jens

On Dec 28, 10:42 pm, Piotr Krukowiecki

> > Remember the Milk lists), so it's on a local branch and doesn't *quite*work yet. To answer your other questions,

> > On 17 Gru, 08:40, Tim Su <t...@todoroo.com> <t...@todoroo.com> wrote:
>
> >  Thanks for the inquiry! I'm still plugging away at 3.0 - writing unit tests and finishing up the core set of plugins necessary for an alpha release.
> > The plugin API is not complete yet - I was working on it, but I realized that I needed to releasesomething, so I decided to hold off on a public API and get plugins working with the private API for now, and then worry about getting the public API ready. Ideally, I'd like for the public API to work like the private API, since I really like it :)
> > Help with development would be awesome! There's so much that would be awesome to see in this version. The core code is looking pretty stable :)
> > Tim
> > takabanana wrote:Any updates on Astrid 3.0? Looking forward to GTD and Toodledo support! Would love to help with development too... -taka -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Astrid Power Users" group. To post to this group, send email toastri...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email toastrid-powe...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/astrid-power?hl=en.
>
> >  --

> > astrid-power...@googlegroups.com<astrid-power%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Piotr Krukowiecki

未讀,
2009年12月29日 下午4:10:142009/12/29
收件者:astrid...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Odin Omdal Hørthe
<odin....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Piotr Krukowiecki
> <piotr.kruko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm looking for a simple TODO/Wishlist/GTD app that supports following use
> > cases/features:
>
> Oi! This is just what I also want. Please elaborate what you
> liked/disliked with the other apps. I haven't set out time to think

Here's a quick list. I have used the applications for short time only,
so there might be some ways/workaround/misunderstandings in the list
below. Understanding some ideas like "context" or "next action" might
require knowledge of the application and/or GTD terminology.

Shuffle (1.3.1):
+ integration with calendar
+ open-source
- actions can have only one context
- action must be in some project to disappear from "inbox" (all new
actions go there).
- "next action" is not configurable - it always takes first action
from each project
- no widget

OpenLoopz (1.4.0.1):
+ action can have more than one context
+ subactions
+ priorities
+ special contexts: location (actions are displayed when close to
certain places), time (displayed on certain time), contact (connected
with a contact)
+ "next actions" configurable (it's just a context)
- no calendar integration
- no widget
- some other inconveniences connected with subactions
- not open-source
? "stale actions" - not sure is advantage or disadvantage...

Evernote (1.1.5.1)
- you need to register before first use...

From the list above I liked OpenLoopz the best - if only it was open-source...
Shuffle just didn't fit with me :/

Astrid is nice and has most of features I need. What I didn't like was
having only one list, so everything goes into the widget.

Tim Su

未讀,
2010年1月14日 凌晨1:13:172010/1/14
收件者:Astrid Power Users List、jafe...@gmail.com
Awesome! I will take a look. I've cc'd the Astrid list, so if other folks are interested, I can make an APK.

Don't worry about leaving the Astrid project for now. I still need to work on the API, I'll get everything onto the public API once it's ready. For now, just worry about functionality :)

Did you want to push this to github? Or do you want me to merge it into the Astrid 3 development branch for now? It's probably easier to do that as long as we're not breaking each other I would guess.

I just wrote a lightweight database service layer for RTM to store lists. Let me know if you want to take a look at it, it's really simple to use.

Tim

Javier Fenoll Rejas wrote:
Hi Tim and Taka,

After strugling with some things, I think I have a first beta version on a contexts plugin for astrid. It still need a lot of work, mainlly in styling, and providing map funtionality to the contexts with location.

I also need to make the code independent from the main astrid branch, but for the moment it is easier to develop it within the main branch.

But I think it worths sowing it to you so that I know if I am moving in the right direction.

So please find attached the whole eclipse project.

The functionality so far is:

1.- Contexts details on task
2.- Asociate contexts to tasks
3.- Create, edit and delete contexts
4.- Simple filters by context

So far, the mayor issue I have found is that I needed to create a new table, as ther is no API call to create tables, I do it everytime certain object is created within the plug in and do nothing if the table already exists,, wich works ok but may not be optimum.

Maybe whenever I try to create the plug in as and stand alone project I found more dificulties :)

I hope you like it.
Javier

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Javier Fenoll Rejas <jafe...@gmail.com> wrote:
ups I think I forgot to put Taka in copy in mi last email

Sorry :)

Javier