Abandoned?

Oct 15, 2011, 12:43:18 PM10/15/11
to ASIHTTPRequest
Is it true that ASIHTTPRequest has been abandoned?

I rely heavily on this library, which after updating to iOS 5 seems
not to be working properly.

Shai Mishali

Oct 18, 2011, 4:12:26 AM10/18/11
to asihttp...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it was abandoned and Ben recommended moving on to something else
such as AFNetwork or NSURLConnection.

Sent from my iPhone

Eko S.W.

Oct 18, 2011, 5:06:36 AM10/18/11
to asihttp...@googlegroups.com
woops, that is just too bad

2011/10/18 Shai Mishali <frea...@gmail.com>

--

Eko Wibowo
aboutme/ekowibowo

Joseph Heenan

Oct 18, 2011, 8:30:08 AM10/18/11
to asihttp...@googlegroups.com
See http://allseeing-i.com/%5Brequest_release%5D;

Note that it does work absolutely fine on iOS5 though - there are plenty
of us using it on iOS 5.

Joseph

Mike Mayo

Oct 18, 2011, 7:08:59 PM10/18/11
to ASIHTTPRequest
it has essentially been abandoned. i'm keeping an eye on it since ben
decided to stop working on it. some pull requests will be accepted
(whenever i can find time to go over them and make sure tests still
pass), so the project isn't entirely dead, but it's highly recommended
that you move on to modern options such as NSURLRequest/
NSURLConnection (which is quite nice in iOS 5) or other open source
projects such as AFNetworking.

Cheers,
Mike Mayo
@greenisus

Hal Mueller

Oct 18, 2011, 9:27:50 PM10/18/11
to asihttp...@googlegroups.com
I don't understand the basis for the recommendation. The existing features are quite sufficient for what I need. In particular, the ability to hang a userInfo dictionary on an ASIHTTPRequest doesn't seem to be present in the stock Cocoa libraries. I recognize that ASIHTTP is not suitable for further feature development.

What is broken in ASIHTTP right now?

Hal

Alex Heaton

Oct 19, 2011, 7:52:05 PM10/19/11
to ASIHTTPRequest
It might be a good idea to prominently mark the project as abandoned.
I've just spent the last few days learning and using it, and I had no
idea.

Mike Mayo

Oct 19, 2011, 8:56:02 PM10/19/11
to ASIHTTPRequest
I don't think there's anything wrong with continuing to use
ASIHTTPRequest. I'm still using it in many apps and I don't plan to
change that, however for new stuff I have switched to NSURLConnection.

I'm not sure of anything being broken actually; one big issue that is
that it's not easily usable for ARC-enabled projects (it is possible
though).