Park project at W&OD and Columbia Pike

Randy Swart

Apr 11, 2011, 10:43:18 AM4/11/11
to arling...@googlegroups.com
Our neighborhood is sponsoring a Neighborhood Conservation project to
upgrade the park along the W&OD on the north side of Columbia Pike.

You can see the current plan here:
http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/parksrecreation/documents/file81166.pdf

There are three features of interest to the BAC:

1. A new rest stop, located off the trail, with a water fountain.

2. A training loop trail off the main trail for parents who are
teaching a child how to ride on trails, with stop sign, etc.

3. A realignment of the W&OD at the Columbia Pike crossing, so that
the trail will lead squarely up to the crosswalk rather than
approaching it from a slant.

Other features of the park design are shown on the .pdf.

BAC member and Barcrofter Elizabeth Kiker is our Parks Committee
chair heading up the neighborhood's participation.

elizabe...@gmail.com

Either she or I will be glad to answer questions by email or at the
next BAC meeting.

Randy

_____________________________
ra...@helmets.org
Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute
Arlington, VA USA
http://www.helmets.org

Allan Reiter

Apr 11, 2011, 11:39:42 AM4/11/11
to arling...@googlegroups.com
Randy,

Thanks. Looks great, especially the water fountain.

May I suggest some thought for a possible sign pointing to and encouraging
bikers on the trail coming from the south side of CP to use the crossing
button and wait for the green pedestrian light. I often see impatient
bikers crossing CP when the light is still red while cars from S. Four Mile
Run drive (behind them) have a green light and are attempting to turn right
onto the Pike. Kind of scary. Maybe the sequence of light changes could be
simply adjusted to make this a non-issue. Installing the straightened
crossing might also help drivers realize when not to proceed with their
turn.

Allan

elizabe...@gmail.com

Randy

~
Groups "Arlington BAC" group.
arlington-ba...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/arlington-bac?hl=en

Randy Swart

Apr 11, 2011, 12:07:46 PM4/11/11
to arling...@googlegroups.com
At 4/11/2011, Allan Reiter wrote:
>May I suggest some thought for a possible sign pointing to and
>encouraging bikers on the trail coming from the south side of CP to
>use the crossing button and wait for the green pedestrian light.

For the list's info, I replied to Allan that the scope of the park
project is on the north side of the street, but forwarded the message
on to Bill Roberts, the County staffer for the street improvement
project now in progress for the stretch of the Pike from S. Wakefield
St to the bridge.

Ron Trueworthy

Apr 11, 2011, 1:13:14 PM4/11/11
to arling...@googlegroups.com, ra...@helmets.org
I wonder if there will be a pedestrian traffic light button more easily reachable by bicyclists than the current button.  I believe that cyclists might wait for the light to turn green if they felt they could easily push a button that affected the light.  [yes I know most such buttons only lengthen the time the light is green, not make it turn more quickly - but most folks seem to think that it makes the green come quicker ... and perception is everything!]

Apr 11, 2011, 2:05:07 PM4/11/11
to arling...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I completely agree.  I suspect many bikers coming from the south and new to the path simply do not notice the button and its function.  I believe it would be used routinely if it had been originally placed on the right side of the bike trail.