Archivematica 0.8 now available!

Evelyn McLellan

Feb 3, 2012, 5:28:52 PM2/3/12
to archivematica
We're happy to announce that the 0.8-alpha release of the free and
open-source Archivematica digital preservation software is now
available at http://archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=Install-0.8-alpha.

New features in the 0.8 release include: a separate transfer area to
facilitate organization of digital objects into SIPs; multiple
normalization workflows; web-based metadata entry templates; workflows
for ingesting digitized objects and access derivatives; ability to
ingest DSpace exports; enhancements to the dashboard, including home,
access and administration tabs; and numerous other enhancements and
bug fixes. For more details see http://archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=Archivematica_0.8_Release_Notes.

A wiki-based user manual complete with screenshots can be found at
http://www.archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=User_manual_0.8. A
screencast will be available soon.

We encourage active community collaboration and appreciate all feature
enhancement requests, bug reports, design recommendations, etc. from
all interested users. Please forward this announcement to your friends
and colleagues who may be interested to hear about the project.

Evelyn McLellan
Archivematica Community Manager
Message has been deleted

R Pearce-Moses

Feb 4, 2012, 4:40:18 PM2/4/12
to archivematica
The tutorial shows a different interface from what I see in the 0.8
download. It looks like the 0.7 interface. For example, no dropdown
box.

Also, the directory structure is different from the tutorial. The
tutorial makes reference to sampleData/SampleTransfers/, but the
actual filesystem is sampleData/StandardSips/.

Evelyn McLellan

Feb 4, 2012, 7:42:20 PM2/4/12
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

I'm a bit confused about whether you're saying the tutorial looks like
0.8 but your download looks like 0.7 or vice-versa. Are you using the
tutorial at http://www.archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=File:Tutorial-08.pdf?
Both the tutorial and the download should have
sampledata/SampleTransfers. Are you using the sampledata shortcut on
the left-hand panel of the file browser?

Evelyn

> --

Evelyn McLellan
Systems Archivist
Artefactual Systems Inc.
www.artefactual.com
604.527.2056

Evelyn McLellan

Feb 4, 2012, 8:20:44 PM2/4/12
to archivematica
Hi again,

I suspect you're using the tutorial in demo/Docs. My apologies, I
forgot to update that folder with the latest tutorial Please use the
user manual and tutorial for 0.8 available at

On Feb 4, 4:42 pm, Evelyn McLellan <eve...@artefactual.com> wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> I'm a bit confused about whether you're saying the tutorial looks like
> 0.8 but your download looks like 0.7 or vice-versa. Are you using the
> tutorial athttp://www.archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=File:Tutorial-08.pdf?
> Both the tutorial and the download should have
> sampledata/SampleTransfers. Are you using the sampledata shortcut on
> the left-hand panel of the file browser?
>
> Evelyn
>
> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM, R Pearce-Moses <rpearcemo...@clayton.edu> wrote:
> > The tutorial shows a different interface from what I see in the 0.8
> > download.  It looks like the 0.7 interface.  For example, no dropdown
> > box.
>
> > Also, the directory structure is different from  the tutorial. The
> > tutorial makes reference to sampleData/SampleTransfers/, but the
> > actual filesystem is sampleData/StandardSips/.

R Pearce-Moses

Feb 5, 2012, 11:57:22 AM2/5/12
to archivematica
I believe the acronym is PEBKC -- problem exists between keyboard and
chair. I am a lame user today, but at least I discovered why the
"0.8" interface looked so much like the 0.7 interface. Somehow I
built a new machine using the 0.7 disk instead of the 0.8 disk.

I shall now whack the keyboard vigorously against my forehead.

Apologies for any distress when y'all should be celebrating!

-- RPM

On Feb 4, 8:20 pm, Evelyn McLellan <epmclel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I suspect you're using the tutorial in demo/Docs. My apologies, I
> forgot to update that folder with the latest tutorial Please use the
> user manual and tutorial for 0.8 available athttp://www.archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=User_Manual.

Evelyn McLellan

Feb 5, 2012, 4:34:38 PM2/5/12
to archivematica
No worries! I get those PEBKC problems all the time.

Evelyn

Elinor Robinson

Feb 6, 2012, 7:37:54 AM2/6/12
to archivematica
Hi Evelyn,

I've installed the VirtualBox image this morning, but I'm having
trouble importing files using SFTP (I'm afraid the Guest Additions
instructions went over my head a little bit!). When I open up settings
from the Archivematica VM and go to the Network tab, I cannot click on
the Adapter 2 tab as it is greyed out, as are the other adapter tabs.
Any ideas where I'm going wrong? This functionality would be really
useful to me!

All best,

Elinor
Digital Archivist
London School of Economics

On Feb 3, 10:28 pm, Evelyn McLellan <epmclel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We're happy to announce that the 0.8-alpha release of the free and
> open-source Archivematica digital preservation software is now
> available athttp://archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=Install-0.8-alpha.
>
> New features in the 0.8 release include: a separate transfer area to
> facilitate organization of digital objects into SIPs; multiple
> normalization workflows; web-based metadata entry templates; workflows
> for ingesting digitized objects and access derivatives; ability to
> ingest DSpace exports; enhancements to the dashboard, including home,
> access and administration tabs; and numerous other enhancements and
> bug fixes. For more details seehttp://archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=Archivematica_0.8_Relea....
>
> A wiki-based user manual complete with screenshots can be found athttp://www.archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=User_manual_0.8. A

R Pearce-Moses

Feb 6, 2012, 9:25:03 AM2/6/12
to archivematica
Elinor,

Is your Archivematica VBox running when you try to change the network
settings? If so, shut it down and then try to configure the second
adapter. (You do have a second adapter, don't you? I keep forgetting
my desktop has only one. <g>)

If that doesn't work, you might try changing the setting for the
Network adapter from NAT (default) to bridged.

If those don't work, Evelyn will likely be of more assistance.

Finally, I'd be happy to help with Guest Additions if you'll let me
know what problems you're having. I've noticed that after some
updates, the Guest Additions quit working and you have to reinstall
them.

-- R

Elinor Robinson

Feb 6, 2012, 11:37:47 AM2/6/12
to archivematica
Hi,

Actually, it appeared to by a problem with my VBox install, am trying
again now and having more success! :)

Ellie

Courtney Mumma

Feb 6, 2012, 11:45:27 AM2/6/12
to archiv...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Elinor and Richard,

Elinor, glad to hear you've worked it out with more success. And Richard, thanks for your help. In the true spirit of an open-source community, you offered an answer to Ellie's question before I even woke up here on the west coast!

Ellie, let us know if you have more problems and one of the developers may be able to help.

Cheers,
Courtney
Artefactual Systems Archivist

R Pearce-Moses

Feb 6, 2012, 6:14:39 PM2/6/12
to archivematica
Yeah! More success is good!

I was able to play with my installation a bit. If you're not having
the sftp problem, then read no further . . .

If you want to access the Amatica VBox from your desktop client, be
sure the network adapter is set to bridged before starting the
machine.

When you start your VBox, open a terminal window. Type ifconfig and
you should see the machine's IP address. You should then be able to
use an sftp client to connect.

-- RPM

Elinor Robinson

Feb 7, 2012, 9:48:33 AM2/7/12
to archivematica
Thanks so much all... my initial issue with the Guest Additions was
really "what are Guest Additions?!" but did a bit of reading, powered
on through using Richard's instructions, and now I can see the whole
screen at once, very nice :)

I've also transferred files back and forth using FileZilla and that
worked too :)

Ellie