MUCH WASTE IS GENERATED BY OUR HASTE AND GREED

ramakrishna reddy

Oct 30, 2011, 6:32:24 PM10/30/11
to apenvc...@googlegroups.com
MUCH WASTE IS GENERATED BY OUR HASTE AND GREED

We are discarding several broken things as waste. Today rich and upper middle class people are not thinking to reduce waste, which comes from domestic or industrial or agricultural or commercial activities. They want to dispose waste quickly instead of reusing the things or recycle them properly. We create tons of waste in the name of religion and blame government for the ill effects of pollution. Lacs of coconuts are broken and thrown on the streets. Several business people throw thread of lemons and chillies on the roads.  We can reduce waste by applying our own rationality to save nature for the better future.  I fear we will face food shortage in the near future if we continue to dump waste in the green fields and spoil thousands of acres every year.  That land can never be used for agriculture.  I suggest following little things can reduce waste at various sectors.

1. AT THE DOMESTIC FRONT:  We can carry some cotton or jute bags wherever we go for shopping and keep some bags in our vehicle. Apply 4 R’s if environment viz., Refuse, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.  High class people never felt ashamed in taking many polythene bags at free of cost with an intention to dispose their waste in those bags.  They think that they are saving lot of money on buying waste disposal bags.  They argue and quarrel with anybody who ever suggests them that polythene bags are non-biodegradable and harmful to environment.  As a responsible citizen we must eco friendly items made with wood, bamboo, stainless steel, brass or copper metals in the place of plastic things.  We must keep separate bins for paper, solid things and all biodegradable things. Our Kitchen waste can be converted into manure for kitchen garden.

2. AT THE COMMERCIAL FRONT: Shops and Restaurants can use Jute bags for their bulk purchases. They can use cotton bags for small quantity.  They can use metal Containers for liquid items like oil and ghee. Left out food can be given to needy people instead of throwing it in the Municipal Van. Butcheries have to plan themselves to dispose their waste instead of dumping it on the roadside at the night time. Many Hospitals should dispose their waste responsibly and avoid easy method of burning waste at night.

3. AT THE INDUSTRIAL FRONT: Many factories are following easy methods of waste disposal to save money and to harm others.  Liquid waste of several factories is pumped into the ground water or to the nearby ponds and rivers instead of treating it.  Many stone crushing units in our state are dumping their waste on the roadside or at nearby forest which causes water pollution.  Thermal power plants are also not caring while disposing their fly ash.  Very nominal portion of fly ash used to make bricks. Many factory owners feel that it is their right to dump their waste in the rivers.

4. AT THE AGRICULTURAL FRONT: Farmers can use organic fertilizers which leaves no waste. We can use natural pesticides made with animal urine and neem seeds. Chemical pesticides will enter human body and spoil mother’s milk.  Package materials of chemical pesticides can be sent for recycling instead of throwing them in the fields.

5. AT THE FUNCTIONS AND AGITATIONS: Functions and festivals leave tons of waste.  Every one of us knew that 10K Run of 2009 left huge waste. Plastic sheets, Flex Boards, Plastic glasses, cups, bottles and plates are used in many functions. Gifts are given in plastic bag. Temples distribute prasadam in plastic bags. We have alternatives for all these, but we go for cheap things which will damage environment. All of us know that recent agitations left broken glass windows of several vehicles and offices. Several plastic chairs are broken in many meetings. Did anybody think the consequences of all this waste?  It cannot be digested by earth easily. Many political parties use plastic flags and decorative items did not care to remove them after their meeting is over. Municipal Workers find it difficult to clean the roads after every function and festival. Every educated person is interested in filling road with waste.  We do not apply our mind regarding waste reduction. Many of water tanks are giving bad smell with polluted water. Instead of cleaning them we add pollution by immersing huge idols made with Plaster of Paris. Many of us are ignoring important point – Mother Earth is also goddess and we should respect her laws to avoid her anger.

            Now tell me what stopped you in avoiding plastic water bottles, polythene bags, plastic chairs, cups, glasses, spoons and many more. Our greediness and haste will add more and more pollution. If we are honest we can reduce waste and educate others. Your bit of action will reduce and increase pollution.  Finally I feel – IF I WANT KINDNESS FROM NATURE, I MUST BE KIND TOWARDS NATURE.

B. RAMAKRISHNA REDDY
HYDERABAD
POSTER.jpg

Nemani Chandrasekhar

Nov 3, 2011, 5:01:42 AM11/3/11
to apenvc...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ramakrishna sir,

Well written, Sir, After reading your mail, I agree. Thank you for such a well thought out method of informational writing.

Thanking you and warm regards,

Nemani...

Chandrasekhar, Nemani
Program Officer (Information)
Watershed Support Services and Activities Network (WASSAN)
# 12-13-452, Street No. 1, Tarnaka, Secunderabad - 500 017, India

Facebook Blog RSS
Contact me: Google Talk chandrasekharnemani Skype chandrasekharnemani

Chandrasekhar, Nemani
Program Officer (Information)
Watershed Support Services and Activities Network (WASSAN)
# 12-13-452, Street No. 1, Tarnaka, Secunderabad - 500 017, India

Facebook Blog RSS
Contact me: Google Talk chandrasekharnemani Skype chandrasekharnemani

rkreddy

Nov 5, 2011, 10:54:18 PM11/5/11
to APEC

We may keep silent now. But the growing dump yards of waste with so
much plastics do not keep silent. They will continue to spoil
beautiful parks; fields, streams and mountains. They will go on giving
diseases with their new microorganisms and spread epidemics. Public
are throwing unused packed hotel food in the dump yard. Pests like
rats and mosquitoes breed on them and give hazardous diseases. Our
roads will become narrow due to dumping of waste. Water will get
polluted due to overflow of rain water of these waste yards to the
nearing rivers. Drains will get blocked. Ground water will get
polluted under these waste yards. This will continue for centuries
together. Effect of Radiations emitted by atom bombs in Japan is still
causing chromosomal defects on the new born children. In my opinion
the ill effects of waste dump yards with so much plastic will cause
more dangerous diseases than atom bomb. Hence say NO TO PLASTIC AND
YES TO BIODEGRADABLE ITEMS.