Animal bone

1 view

Chris Puttick

Jan 28, 2009, 11:21:52 AM1/28/09
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Any interest in collaborating on the development of an animal bone
recording/reporting system? Preferably web frontend and spatially
enabled database at the back and open source, of course. Or is there
one available already?

Chris

--
My employers website: http://thehumanjourney.net - opinions in this
email are however very much my own and may not reflect that of my

Documents attached to this email may be in ISO 26300 format:
http://iso26300.info

ce...@uchicago.edu

Jan 28, 2009, 12:56:32 PM1/28/09
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Is there anything along these lines going on at BoneCommons
(http://www.alexandriaarchive.org/icaz/icazForum/index.php)?

-Chuck-

eka...@alexandriaarchive.org

Jan 28, 2009, 1:52:18 PM1/28/09
to anti...@googlegroups.com, ska...@alexandriaarchive.org
Bonecommons is just a forum. One of our experiences with it is that
the web resources have to be tightly tied to the very active zooarch
list to get much use. The main activity seen by Bonecommons comes from
the fact that the zooarch list does not allow attachments. When people
have bone id questions, they post a picture on the forum, and alert
people on the list.

That said, we'd love to work with some other folks in having a more
ideal application along the lines suggested by Chris. Bonecommons is
pretty active, and it would be a great complementary service.
-Eric
--
---------------------------------
Eric C. Kansa, PhD.

MAY, Keith

Jan 28, 2009, 1:57:36 PM1/28/09
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

perhaps not exactly what you had in mind, but worth checking out for different aspects of recording.

Best wishes
Keith

Jan 28, 2009, 4:50:12 PM1/28/09
to anti...@googlegroups.com, Ian Johnson

You might want to build it in a Heurist instance (HeuristScholar.org) -
already spatially enabled, soft-coded record types, bibliographic data,
typed relationships between any two records, integrated blog and rich
text, enumerated fields (a bit weak for now on more sophistircated
classification, but if someone wants ot work on that we're happy to
collaborate), attached files and images, XML output rendered through
Cocoon, workgroups etc. All 'out of the box'. It is free but not (yet)
O/S, but will be released as O/S this year (yes, we do want to do some
work on it before we release our most embarassing bits of code ...!).

Ian

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Chris Puttick wrote:

> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:21:52 +0000
> From: Chris Puttick <cput...@gmail.com>
> To: anti...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: [Antiquist] Animal bone

Ian Johnson

[joh...@acl.arts.usyd.edu.au]
Director, Archaeological Computing Laboratory
Deputy Director, Digital Innovation Unit
Senior Research Fellow, Archaeology

Australia:

Archaeological Computing Laboratory
http://acl.arts.usyd.edu.au/

Digital Innovation Unit in the Humanities and Social Sciences
http://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/digitalinnovation

Room 310 - 314, F09 Madsen Building, University of Sydney, NSW 2006
+61 (0)2 9351 2552 (direct) ..3142, ..8981 (msg) 3644 (fax)
+61 (0)402 389 190 mobile

France:

Esparoutis, St Cybranet 24250
+33 (0)5 53 28 39 24 fixed
+33 (0)6 37 18 93 42 mobile
Email: joh...@acl.arts.usyd.edu.au

Project URLS:

Rethinking Timelines: http://acl.arts.usyd.edu.au/timelines
TimeMap: http://www.TimeMap.net
Associate of the Electronic Cultural Atlas Initiative http://www.ecai.org

Brian

Jan 29, 2009, 6:10:01 AM1/29/09
to Antiquist
Chris,
Have you come across this one? Possibly (probably) not spatially
enabled, but it is published..

http://intarch.ac.uk/journal/issue13/harland_index.html

Brian

On Jan 28, 4:21 pm, Chris Puttick <cputt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any interest in collaborating on the development of an animal bone
> recording/reporting system? Preferably web frontend and spatially
> enabled database at the back and open source, of course. Or is there
> one available already?
>
> Chris
>
> --
> My employers website:http://thehumanjourney.net- opinions in this

Chris Puttick

Jan 29, 2009, 6:36:07 AM1/29/09
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that Brian. The York system has been pointed out to me and
I hope will make an excellent starting point, but as it is the
underlying technology is significantly limited at least for our
interests at OA:

(a) spatially enabled is potentially very useful;
(b) we want to scale up so the system would hold multiple sites to
facilitate/enable new research questions;
(c) we want people to be able to use it without any
restrictions/prerequisites beyond access to a computer;
(d) the negative feedback around the York system (I'm told) is
directed primarily at the interface and its recording agenda - we
would want to separate data and interfaces so that multiple interfaces
could be used depending on need/research agenda, and the parameters of
that interface stored along with the inputted data so that future
researchers would (following one of Lief's homilies) know what data
had *not* been recorded/required.

I've had some off-list feedback as well, suggesting that this would
really be something of interest to the wider archeology community.
Next steps? Maybe a name and a Launchpad site to start gathering
input. Any takers?

Chris

2009/1/29 Brian <bria...@gmail.com>:
My employers website: http://thehumanjourney.net - opinions in this

Chris Puttick

Jan 29, 2009, 7:52:47 AM1/29/09
to anti...@googlegroups.com
And now have clearance from and support of the original York system
developer to update and improve their system. All volunteers form an
orderly line...

Chris Puttick

Mar 20, 2009, 11:59:21 AM3/20/09
to anti...@googlegroups.com
For those awaiting news of this development and wondering what on
earth has happened, it is a sad but simple tale. As this will be an
open source project (with already a broad spread of people interested
in being involved) it will be developed in the open, using Launchpad
and the Open Archaeology umbrella project
(http://launchpad.net/openarchaeology). But to do this we have
register a project, which needs a name. And we can't come up with a
good one :(

Note we would hope that the project would have use outside of English
speaking countries, so ideally the name should be not dependent on
English. On the other had we are limited to the Latin alphabet for
various reasons. I thought something like the Latin phrase for "animal
bones analysis" or similar, or maybe the Greek-based equivalent. But
there my ideas stalled as I speak/write neither language.

Suggestions please...

Chris

2009/1/29 Chris Puttick <cput...@gmail.com>:

Ottevanger, Jeremy

Mar 20, 2009, 12:01:14 PM3/20/09
to anti...@googlegroups.com
zooos

Jeremy Ottevanger
Web Developer, Museum Systems Team
Museum of London
46 Eagle Wharf Road
London. N1 7ED
Tel: 020 7410 2207
Fax: 020 7600 1058
Email: jotte...@museumoflondon.org.uk
www.museumoflondon.org.uk
Museum of London is changing. Visit www.museumoflondon.org.uk to find out more.
Explore how the Great Fire shaped the city www.museumoflondon.org.uk/londonsburning
Before printing, please think about the environment

Neven Jovanovic

Mar 21, 2009, 7:00:20 PM3/21/09
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

Latin for "animal bones" would be "ossa animalium" ("os animalis" in
singular). Its Greek equivalent would be "osta zoon" or "osta therion"
(it is possible also to have "ostea zoon" etc). If you are interested
(and if your mail reader displays Greek), I can provide the Greek
expressions in alphabet, uppercase or lowercase.

Yours,

Neven

Neven Jovanovic
Zagreb
Hrvatska / Croatia

Chris Puttick

Mar 22, 2009, 2:28:49 AM3/22/09
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Would there be a way in either language to express/imply small
animals? And an appropriate word that would mean "system for
recording" or similar?

Chris

Chris Puttick

Mar 22, 2009, 2:32:49 AM3/22/09
to anti...@googlegroups.com
See, I quite like that, partly because it is "sayable"; but what does
the final "os" stand for? Operating system? Ontology system? Or
something (sic) else?

Chris

Ottevanger, Jeremy

Mar 22, 2009, 7:09:03 AM3/22/09
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Luckily Neven answered that for me: bone, as in "os animalis". Short and sweet! And maybe the extra "o" makes it more memorable in a way.
Then again, it could just be frivolos :-)
Jeremy

From: anti...@googlegroups.com on behalf of Chris Puttick
My employers website: http://thehumanjourney.net <http://thehumanjourney.net/> - opinions in this
email are however very much my own and may not reflect that of my
current employer, past employers, associates, friends, family, pets etc..

Documents attached to this email may be in ISO 26300 format:
http://iso26300.info <http://iso26300.info/>

winmail.dat