Corupt data

BillW...@wilcox53.freeserve.co.uk

Nov 26, 2008, 2:25:09 PM11/26/08
to Antiquist
Hi,

I’m currently trying to obtain some public geospatial data, with which
to teach Open Source GIS with. Consequently, I recently downloaded
some OpenStreetMap data in vector format from the Geofabric website.

http://www.geofabrik.de/data/download.html

After unzipping, it appears to be all there and displays perfectly.
However, each time I try to re-project this data into British National
Grid; I keep losing about 75% of it in the process! So far I have
tried ArcGIS and MapWindow GIS, both of which keep telling me that the
data is corrupt! Is anyone else having similar problems with this
data?

Bill Wilcox

Andrew Larcombe

Nov 26, 2008, 3:03:56 PM11/26/08
to anti...@googlegroups.com

On 26 Nov 2008, at 19:25, BillW...@Wilcox53.Freeserve.co.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m currently trying to obtain some public geospatial data, with which
> to teach Open Source GIS with. Consequently, I recently downloaded
> some OpenStreetMap data in vector format from the Geofabric website.
>
> http://www.geofabrik.de/data/download.html

I downloaded the wiltshire county shapefiles (zipped) and converted
it using the command line ogr2ogr tools (scary *nix command line
coming up now):

find . -iname '*.shp' -exec ogr2ogr -t_srs epsg:27700 -f "ESRI
Shapefile" 27700/{} {} \;

all seemed to work ok. Which file/files were you having probs with?

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Larcombe
Freelance Geospatial, Database & Web Programming

web: http://www.andrewlarcombe.co.uk : http://blog.andrewl.net
email: and...@andrewlarcombe.co.uk
mob: +44 (7760) 258623
icq: 306690163

BillW...@wilcox53.freeserve.co.uk

Nov 26, 2008, 5:03:05 PM11/26/08
to Antiquist
Hi,

I'm having problems with Norfolk county shapefiles (roads, rail,
etc).
That is one very scary command line that I have not got a clue what to
do with!
I was hoping to re-project the shapefiles using a 'standard
programme'.

Thanks

Bill

On Nov 26, 8:03 pm, Andrew Larcombe <and...@andrewlarcombe.co.uk>

Crispin Flower

Nov 26, 2008, 5:51:21 PM11/26/08
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill
The scary-sounding (but very useful) tool mentioned by Andrew can also be run on Windows and is not that scary really. More info and downloads at
http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ <http://www.gdal.org/ogr/>
Andrew's command is using ogr2ogr to convert the shapefile to EPSG:27700 (aka GB national grid). It'll look a little different in Win variant, but use it just like any other command-line thingy, and there's plenty of help available on the parameters.
have fun
Crispin

________________________________

Andrew Larcombe

Nov 26, 2008, 6:01:24 PM11/26/08
to anti...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes most of the scariness was in the find command which errr finds
files and does something with them. Give gdal/ogr a whirl - shout if
you get stuck, but it's usually just a case of entering this at the
command line:

ogr2ogr -t_srs epsg:27700 -f "ESRI Shapefile" output.shp input.shp

to convert input.shp to output.shp formatting output.shp as a
shapefile (-f "ESRI Shapefile") and translating to epsg:27700 -
national grid (-t_srs epsg:27700)

Cheers,

> <winmail.dat>

Kai-Christian Bruhn

Nov 27, 2008, 7:27:29 AM11/27/08
to Antiquist
Hi Bill,

I just did what you are planning, taking German OSM-Data to play
around with. They perfectly worked in QGIS 0.11.0 also with on the fly
projection. To re-project via a GUI you'd need to start the grass
plugins in QGIS, shuffling the vectors into a grass layer and change
projection there. It's all about v.in.ogr and v.proj modules. There's
plenty of good documentation online.
We also looked at ogr2ogr. The easiest way seems to install fwtools.
In windows environment you'll find a fwtools shell in the start menu
after installation. Going that way, the path variable is set, so the
ogr2ogr and gdal commands are available also from "remote" places in
your file-system, i.e. where your .shp's are around ;-)

Cheers,

Kai

On Nov 27, 12:01 am, Andrew Larcombe <and...@andrewlarcombe.co.uk>