android x86 virtualization in potrait mode

Elnews

Jan 18, 2011, 8:50:08 PM1/18/11
to Android-x86
I am a developer. Recently i found that android-x86 can be used to
debug program which is extremely fast compared to the normal emulator.
the only downside though
is it's by default in landscape mode. Is there anyway that we can
rotate the screen so that it appears as potrait?

i am using QEMU and VirtualBox.

The debugging appears to be lighting fast. I think this can be used to
replace the default Emulator and should be developed
further to have the capabilities to act as a replacement.

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 18, 2011, 9:01:03 PM1/18/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
There is a post in the forum some days ago
that said how to customize the resolution of vbox.
I didn't try myself, but it seems to be promising.

2011/1/19 Elnews <eln...@gmail.com>:

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Tom Li

Jan 18, 2011, 9:05:07 PM1/18/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I am also quite interested in this. Have you been able to work out the actual emulator with android-x86? The original emulator gives a lot of functionalities like call emulation and so forth.

Elnews

Jan 19, 2011, 3:19:51 AM1/19/11
to Android-x86
Hi Tom,

No, i haven't got any idea how to simulate a ddms feature but i
think it should be possible.
However, i am only an apps developer so it will proof to be too
challenging for me to create those.
Maybe the android-x86 members here who have such knowledge can help
create one.
> > .

Elnews

Jan 19, 2011, 3:24:20 AM1/19/11
to Android-x86
Hi Wei Huang,

i did try that out but it didn't work out. plus, i am not too sure
how the android-x86 can be configured to run in potrait mode
since the default is in landscape. do we need to recompile the code
for it to work in landscape mode? if yes, may i know where
can i change it ?

Suman Saraf

Jan 19, 2011, 4:46:49 AM1/19/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
VirtualBox allows you to specify custom video modes in the BIOS. Search for CustomVideoMode in the virtual box user manual.

So you basically need to add custom video modes (for portrait resolutions).Once you set up custom video mode(s), you can append vga=ask at the end of the kernel command line for grub when booting android. It will list all available modes including the ones you added. Select one of them and android should show up in portrait mode. Once you are happy with the resolution, just change append vga=NNN(whatever the mode number is) to your grub configuration on disk to make that persistent.

Suman

F.Y

Feb 4, 2011, 3:59:58 PM2/4/11
to Android-x86
I confirm this portrait mode works with android-x86-2.2-generic.iso
with virtualbox 3.2.8 in
ubuntu x86 10.10.ch

However, I found that when in portrait mode, the emulator runs much
slower. It's almost as slow as google's emulator.

I reported a issue for this.

http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/issues/detail?id=237&can=5

On 1月19日, 下午5时46分, Suman Saraf <saraf_su...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> VirtualBox allows you to specify custom video modes in the BIOS. Search for CustomVideoMode in the virtual box user manual.
>
> So you basically need to add custom video modes (for portrait resolutions).Once you set up custom video mode(s), you can append vga=ask at the end of the kernel command line for grub when booting android. It will list all available modes including the ones you added. Select one of them and android should show up in portrait mode. Once you are happy with the resolution, just change append vga=NNN(whatever the mode number is) to your grub configuration on disk to make that persistent.
> http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#id382118 should help you get started.
>
> Suman

Suman Saraf

Feb 5, 2011, 8:38:33 AM2/5/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Yes I had noticed this in the early days of Froyo. I was running Android in Virtualbox in landscape mode, but some applications would start in portrait and they were horribly slow. Then I just hacked it to make all applications run in landscape forcibly and the peformance was much better. Note - this is obviously without hardware acceleration.

MR4Y

Jun 15, 2012, 2:15:58 PM6/15/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if it works on all versions, but F9 to F12 rotate the screen, as if you had a accelerometer.