Two news about Intel

Chih-Wei Huang

Dec 6, 2011, 1:43:46 AM12/6/11
to Android-x86
Hi,
I have two news about Intel.
One is bad, another is good.

The bad one is, one Intel spokesman criticized
the project, Android-x86.org publicly.
(thanks to the guy who notified us)

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4231083/Intel--Google-not-supportive-of-AMD-s-attempt-to-port-Android-to-PCs

"Huang’s non-authorized version has not been submitted to
Google for integration into the wider Android open source effort,
which has raised concern that it could cause fragmentation."
The truth is we have worked for x86 porting much earlier
than Intel involved the game.The truth is we have worked hard to push
our effort into
the Android open source project, dominated by Google.At least 30
patches we submitted have been merged to AOSP,though more are just
ignored due to different reasons.
Another fact is Intel submitted some buggy patches
to AOSP, but Google accepted them carelessly.
I need to submit another patches to correct them,
and Google accepted my patches undoubtedly.

How can a spokesman say such words full prejudice?

If I reveal all the facts that Intel had done to us,
that would embarrass Intel very much!

I do think the spokesman needs to correct his words
and say sorry to all of us publicly.

On the other hand, the good news is,
we have fixed the display issue of Intel video chipset.
The source has been pushed to ics-x86 branch.
Though there are still some issues in video playback.

Thanks to the great work of Chia-I Wu.
I'll prepare testing iso later when I've spare time.
Enjoy it.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

mariuz

Dec 6, 2011, 4:24:59 AM12/6/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I almost fell off the chair of laugh when i read that "Huang’s non-authorized version "
In open source there is no central authority to authorize source code modifications and building :) like cyanogen , android-x86 ... linux, kernel ,firefox , chrome
Talk and cheap PR is well cheap
real cool developers talk and do the patches and submit code working on real world hw : intel or amd or arm ...

These are trolls , don't feed them ;)

another good joke
“At this point, who knows whether Android will ever end up on a PC or not"

I can build and test generic build on my pc today , yes it's an intel cpu :) on a white box pc

Alexandru Stoian

Dec 6, 2011, 5:09:26 AM12/6/11
to Android-x86
Intel is one of the worst companies out there. I always avoided
getting any products from them. They have shown over and over again
how incompetent they are and how they can fail even the open source
projects they start ( moblin meego anyone? ). Their product support
is abysmal.
Message has been deleted

John Kang

Dec 6, 2011, 6:53:05 AM12/6/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
Because, Intel, a huge company, losts their Meego.
But,Android - x86 Organization, an OpenSource Group, makes Android-X86 works.
That is the reason why their spokesman said so.
Good Job! Guys.
Thanks and Best Regards,
John Kang.

2011/12/6 tabletsx86 <rbg.tab...@gmail.com>:
> "....has raised concern that it could cause fragmentation"
>
> LOL...is that like the "fragmentation" you have been getting from
> ARM processors in the phone/tablet markets for the last 3-5 years
> Intel????
>
> A truly smart manager would have said "how can we capitalize
> on this Chih-Wei's work" and then gone on to support the effort from
> the beginning in 2009...and by now Intel would be reaping the rewards
> instead of trying to black-ball them and make your measly efforts look
> good in the press...

> On Dec 6, 1:43 am, Chih-Wei Huang <cwhu...@android-x86.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have two news about Intel.
>> One is bad, another is good.
>>
>> The bad one is, one Intel spokesman criticized
>> the project, Android-x86.org publicly.
>> (thanks to the guy who notified us)
>>

>> http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4231083/Intel--Google-not-sup...

Matt Purland

Dec 6, 2011, 8:53:17 AM12/6/11
to Android-x86
"On the other hand, the good news is, we have fixed the display issue
of Intel video chipset. The source has been pushed to ics-x86
branch. Though there are still some issues in video playback."
Please excuse my n00bish question, but would that mean ICS-x86 will
run on the GMA500 chipset?

Thanks,
Matt

On Dec 6, 6:43 am, Chih-Wei Huang <cwhu...@android-x86.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have two news about Intel.
> One is bad, another is good.
>
> The bad one is, one Intel spokesman criticized
> the project, Android-x86.org publicly.
> (thanks to the guy who notified us)
>

> http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4231083/Intel--Google-not-sup...

Phil Osoph

Dec 6, 2011, 6:11:01 AM12/6/11
to Android-x86
Can i build an image for intel x86 yet??? Which target should i use
for?
Message has been deleted

Bzbit

Dec 6, 2011, 11:41:10 AM12/6/11
to Android-x86
I have pulled the tree and built for eeepc & generic x86, from the GFX
point of view -

1 - the eeepc is working - Android will boot and the UI will work very
nicely.
2 - the generic x86 build (running on dell-E6410 using i915) will
still have "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped." massage box will
popup every few seconds, after boot.

On Dec 6, 6:27 pm, tabletsx86 <rbg.tablets...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86/browse_thread/thread/27148...
>
> On Dec 6, 6:11 am, Phil Osoph <philipp.b.muel...@googlemail.com>

> wrote:
>

> > Can i build an image for intel x86 yet??? Which target should i use

> > for?- Hide quoted text -

Phil Osoph

Dec 6, 2011, 12:02:45 PM12/6/11
to Android-x86
try to type in the command line "pm disable com.android.systemui"...
this will eliminating the ui-message and you can use the system...

Lee Fisher

Dec 6, 2011, 12:31:32 PM12/6/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
> Because, Intel, a huge company, losts their Meego.

I am suprised that Intel is not supporting the Android-x86 project.

Is Intel an OHA member?

How is this helping their Atom-based netbok/tablet OEMs?

Does Intel think that Windows, Tizen, and Yocto are the only options?

I'll be recommending AMD over Intel for mobile chips, because of
Chih-Wei's experiences with Intel.

I expect they're waiting for this project to do all of their work for
them, then they'll fork it, and have a tightly-controlled Android-Atom
project. :-)

mariuz

Dec 6, 2011, 4:04:35 PM12/6/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Message has been deleted

Yi Sun

Dec 6, 2011, 6:25:55 PM12/6/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I will have to give credit to one of the Intel engineer. He was the
first guy who posted the first instruction about howto build an android
x86 image that can run on a VMware VM. His name is Yang Chen. And his
works (instructions, patches) were the part of the starting point of
this project.

Yi

On 12/06/2011 03:12 PM, tabletsx86 wrote:
> think you'll find they already have forked it...as someone
> mentioned in these forums before, Intel had submitted code to
> Goggle AOSP from this repository as their own....nothing new
> there...Unless you�ve got a better answer, you copy...and
> wasn't Steve Jobs famous for saying "great artist ship"...haven't
> seen Intel making avaiable(ship)any Android iso/img for the
> general public have we.............

Message has been deleted

Ollie

Dec 6, 2011, 7:34:41 PM12/6/11
to Android-x86
Can't wait to hear it!!

On Dec 6, 11:36 pm, tabletsx86 <rbg.tablets...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Android ICS up and running on Viewsonic VPAD10....
>
> Wifi works, touch works....
>
> Chih-Wei will provide you with more detailed info later....

> On Dec 6, 1:43 am, Chih-Wei Huang <cwhu...@android-x86.org> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > I have two news about Intel.
> > One is bad, another is good.
>
> > The bad one is, one Intel spokesman criticized
> > the project, Android-x86.org publicly.
> > (thanks to the guy who notified us)
>

> >http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4231083/Intel--Google-not-sup...

Message has been deleted

Bzbit

Dec 7, 2011, 6:56:20 AM12/7/11
to Android-x86
Thx for you replay Phil Osoph, I have try the "pm disable
com.android.systemui", but still there is the "Unfortunately, System
UI has stopped." massage box.
Any ideas?

Thx for your help

On Dec 6, 7:02 pm, Phil Osoph <philipp.b.muel...@googlemail.com>

Allan Salvati

Dec 7, 2011, 7:08:34 AM12/7/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Sometimes you'll need to do "pm disable com.android.systemui" more than 1 time then hit ok on message box.
You can kill the systemui process before disable.

This workaround works for me every time.

Bzbit

Dec 7, 2011, 7:58:44 AM12/7/11
to Android-x86
I'm unable to switch to console (with alt+F1 ...) the GIU will "flip"
every few seconds, when I press alt+F1/F2 I can see the prompt but I
cant realy type anything.

The only way is to - boot in debug and befor typing exit the second
time I do the "pm disable com.android.systemui" and then after typing
exit the giu will come up.

Can you please describe how do you do this? I may have meessd somthig
here.

Thx you guys for you help in this

Allan Salvati

Dec 7, 2011, 8:07:37 AM12/7/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
When i boot, in debug or any mode, i type "pm disable.." without change to console.

Try to type the command when message box appear.
You'll see that there's a "console" behind GUI.

At least this happens on my notebook and dekstop.

Dmitry Golubovsky

Dec 7, 2011, 8:56:00 AM12/7/11
to Android-x86
On Dec 7, 8:07 am, Allan Salvati <allsalv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When i boot, in debug or any mode, i type "pm disable.." without change to
> console.
>
> Try to type the command when message box appear.
> You'll see that there's a "console" behind GUI.

Interestingly, I observed the same in ICS (impossible to switch to the
next console because GUI restores itself, and echoing console input
behind the graphics) on the user-mode kernel 2.6.29 and thought it was
something wrong with the kernel being too old.

Is the same behavior observed with 3.0.x kernel as well? Honeycomb at
least never did this.

Would it be reasonable to include something like stty noecho in the
boot script at least when DEBUG is not set?

Bzbit

Dec 7, 2011, 10:08:18 AM12/7/11
to Android-x86
thanks for the tip, it helps to get read of the massage box. but the
giu is not realy usable. it will flip and distorted.

This is the case on my dell-e6410, that has the same i915 as the eeePc
(on the eeePc the GUI is working nicely). now I have added
"BOARD_GPU_DRIVERS := i915 " to BoardConfig.mk under the generic_x86
folder and rebuilt, now the all I can see is a black screen:-(, the
giu will not com up,

any ideas

Swifty

Dec 7, 2011, 10:54:50 AM12/7/11
to Android-x86
You took the words out of my mouth there Matt :)

I am eagerly hoping for a solution for the GMA500 - I have been
planning to try Kernel 3.0 with the new built in GMA500 driver but
haven't had time yet.

Chih-Wei Huang

Dec 7, 2011, 12:46:24 PM12/7/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Have you did this before building?

repo sync external/mesa

Phil Osoph

Dec 7, 2011, 4:16:25 PM12/7/11
to Android-x86
Could anyone please upload an working tegav2 image??? or any other
intel device^^

i've tried to build it for eeepc and tegav2... eeepc built completely,
but won't run... says "can't boot or install on /dev/sda" or something
else(the hdd was formated)... the tegav2 build can't finish... slowly,
i'm going crazy ;-)

On 7 Dez., 18:46, Chih-Wei Huang <cwhu...@android-x86.org> wrote:
> Have you did this before building?
>
> repo sync external/mesa

Ikem Krueger

Dec 7, 2011, 7:31:41 PM12/7/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
> 2011/12/7 Phil Osoph <philipp....@googlemail.com>:

> Could anyone please upload an working tegav2 image?

> Or any other intel device? ^^

Tegra 2 is ARM, not Intel.

Message has been deleted

Bzbit

Dec 8, 2011, 2:53:17 AM12/8/11
to Android-x86
Hi Huang

Yes I have synced all the tree,
1 - I have run - make clean
2 - repo sync
3 - Add "BOARD_GPU_DRIVERS := i915 " to BoardConfig.mk ( befor "ifneq
($(strip $(BOARD_GPU_DRIVERS)),)" )
4 -
4.1 "lunch generic_x86-eng" and - make iso_img
4.2 "lunch eeepc-eng" and - make iso_img

Now - on the eeePc the GUI is working nicely, on the dell-e6410 I get
a black screen.

On Dec 7, 7:46 pm, Chih-Wei Huang <cwhu...@android-x86.org> wrote:
> Have you did this before building?
>
> repo sync external/mesa

> >http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

Chih-Wei Huang

Dec 8, 2011, 4:10:08 AM12/8/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
2011/12/8 Bzbit <benz...@gmail.com>:

> 3 - Add "BOARD_GPU_DRIVERS := i915 " to BoardConfig.mk (  befor "ifneq
> ($(strip $(BOARD_GPU_DRIVERS)),)"  )

??
You should create your BoardConfig.mk,
not modify the generic one.

> 4 -
>     4.1 "lunch generic_x86-eng" and - make iso_img
>     4.2 "lunch eeepc-eng" and - make iso_img
> Now - on the eeePc the GUI is working nicely, on the dell-e6410 I get
> a black screen.

generic_x86 doesn't support hardware acceleration.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Bzbit

Dec 8, 2011, 4:32:11 AM12/8/11
to Android-x86
Ok - So I will need to create a new mk, please excuse the question -

But In the sake for trying - what is the difference, I like to build a
generic that will suitable for my dell, and if all will go well I
will do this properly?
In any case when criating a mk I will include "include $
(GENERIC_X86_CONFIG_MK)" so its like editing the generic mk, right?

Thx for your help

On Dec 8, 11:10 am, Chih-Wei Huang <cwhu...@android-x86.org> wrote:

droidand

Feb 27, 2012, 3:34:19 PM2/27/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello Phil Osoph,

On Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:32:45 PM UTC+5:30, Phil Osoph wrote:
try to type in the command line "pm disable com.android.systemui"...
this will eliminating the ui-message and you can use the system...

I tried booting the tablet PC on debug mode, keyed in ""pm disable com.android.systemui", then exit to boot, the same error appeared. Is there something else that I must say somewhere to save this command in the init settings? Could you give step by step instructions?

Thank you