Android-x86 4.0-RC1 Grub (40_custom)

Richard S.

Feb 27, 2012, 1:15:51 PM2/27/12
to Android-x86
hello

thanxs for the good work
i have testet on a dell duo the 4.0 rc1 tegav2.iso and it works fine
now i have installed on sdb7

what cames in the /etc/grub.d/40_custom to can boot android?

sorry my english is not the best and i'm not very good at linux

thanxs for help.

Marek

Feb 27, 2012, 9:11:59 PM2/27/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Richard,

You need to use "android-4.0-RC1" - here are more details..

In my case I installed Android-x86-4.0-RC1 (eeepc version) on a /dev/sda3
partition. My system is "dual-boot" with /dev/sda and /dev/sdb partitions used
by "normal linux" install.

So, when installing android, I selected "/dev/sda3" as the destination disk, and
chose NOT to update grub automatically. Then, after android install was done, I
booted into my "normal linux" and updated grub as follows:

1. modify /etc/grub.d/40_custom (see the example below)
2. grub-mkconfig (this updates /boot/grub/grub.cfg)
3. update-grub
4. grub-install /dev/sda

note: (hd0,msdos3) means 3rd partition used, modify accordingly
note: use "androidboot.hardware, NOT "androidboot_hardware" (otherwise eeepc, or
whichever option you specify, will not take effect).

Hope this helps,
Marek

/etc/grub.d/40_custom:
------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the #
menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change # the
'exec tail' line above.
menuentry "Android-4.0-RC1" {
set root='(hd0,msdos3)'
linux /android-4.0-RC1/kernel quiet root=/dev/ram0 \
androidboot.hardware=eeepc \
acpi_sleep=s3_bios,s3_mode \
SRC=/android-4.0-RC1 \
SDCARD=/data/sdcard.img
initrd /android-4.0-RC1/initrd.img
}
------------------------------------

Richard S.

Feb 28, 2012, 1:08:06 PM2/28/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
hy thanxs

but now i have this and on my dell duo the grafics now only scratches... (the usb live works fine)

menuentry "AndroidX86 ICS 4.0 RC1" {
     set root=(hd0,7)
linux /android-4.0-RC1/kernel quiet root=/dev/ram0 \
androidboot.hardware=tegav2. \
acpi_sleep=s3_bios,s3_mode \
SRC=/android-4.0-RC1 \
SDCARD=/data/sdcard.img
initrd /android-4.0-RC1/initrd.img
}

please help me thanxs

Chih-Wei Huang

Feb 28, 2012, 10:06:17 PM2/28/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
2012/2/29 Richard S. <multime...@gmail.com>:

> hy thanxs
> but now i have this and on my dell duo the grafics now only scratches...
> (the usb live works fine)
>
> menuentry "AndroidX86 ICS 4.0 RC1" {
>      set root=(hd0,7)
> linux /android-4.0-RC1/kernel quiet root=/dev/ram0 \
> androidboot.hardware=tegav2. \
> acpi_sleep=s3_bios,s3_mode \
> SRC=/android-4.0-RC1 \
> SDCARD=/data/sdcard.img
> initrd /android-4.0-RC1/initrd.img
> }

Did you have a typo? This line is incorrect:

androidboot.hardware=tegav2. \

You added an extra period (.) behind tegav2.
That must be removed.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Ralf ranfyy

Jan 5, 2013, 2:31:35 AM1/5/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, January 5, 2013 2:22:28 AM UTC+1, Sebastian Villarreal wrote:

Hello,

i have the same issue with my Dell Inspiron Duo.
Im running Android 4.2.
when i run it from the USB works great but after i install it and made the modification to GRUB, its start but looks like the screen is kind of twisted, like scratched.

Im using:

menuentry "Android-x86  4.2 (hdpi) " {
>      set root=(hd0,1)
> linux /android-4.2-20121205/kernel quiet root=/dev/ram0 \
> androidboot.hardware=generic_x86

I tjink the line above is wrong. Boot from USB and look at the parameters in GRUB (Tab key).
IIRC it is:
  androidboot.hardware=android_x86

> acpi_sleep=s3_bios, s3_mode \
> SRC=/android-4.2-20121205  DATA=DPI=240
> initrd /android-4.2-20121205/initrd.img

Chih-Wei Huang

Feb 19, 2013, 1:55:06 AM2/19/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
2013/2/19 Steven Kim <kjhs...@gmail.com>:

> I've been trying to find a way to install 4.2 as well, and I noticed that,
> so far, when I try anything other than androidboot.hardware=android_x86, the
> OS will start from Grub 2, but will get stuck on a (very) slanted android
> logo. (The one with the grayish word "android.") How can I figure out what
> to type in after androidboot.hardware= for my computer?

For jb-x86, androidboot.hardware=android_x86
is the only valid setting.

The issue you said should already been fixed
in the latest code.

Steven Kim

Feb 19, 2013, 8:36:38 AM2/19/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your quick reply! However, I was trying to look for another android.hardware because android_x86 kept crashing on my computer... Maybe it's the file system? I noticed that when I installed it on ntfs, Android x86 won't load at all, and I barely got it working on ext3 (which, I guess, is why I've been getting the weird screen issues along with the people above) but whenever I start Google Play or go into Settings, the screen turns black after a minute or so. What can I do to fix this?
Thanks!

P.S. Also, I am "triple" booting (I don't know the actual term) Windows 8 and Linux Mint 14. Would that cause any conflicts? Also, I think you are doing a spectacular job with the Android-x86 Project and I hope I'm not too much of a bother.