Video playback on ICS! +quick market guide

Andrew Trimble

Mar 12, 2012, 12:11:53 PM3/12/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hey all, was browsing the net trying to find an AVI player for ICS as I wasn't having much joy with dolphin-player x86, and came across MoboPlayer.

They have released a beta version for the x86 platform on the market, and best of all it's free!
Market Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.clov4r.android.nil.x86

So far I have tested a few tv episodes (avi, mp4 and mkv) and a mp4 that was recorded on my galaxy s (720p mp4)
AVI playback seems perfect, played some mythbusters. I was able to seek quickly and easily and couldn't notice any lag.
MP4 playback was rather impressive, i watched the first half of alcatraz (720x404) and appart from a few hiccups at the very start, playback seemed smooth and in sync. seeking also worked nicely.
MKV playback was a bit choppy, but I used a 1024x576 file.
Also has some neat finger-swipe actions for things like volume.

testing was done on a ZOTAC nm10itx D510 (i915) using a slightly modified eeepc build (only to support my touchscreen)

And if you really want to pimp out your library, grab MovieBrowser HD for Tablet
Market Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adree.moviebrowser
It's a movie manager that works for movies and tv shows. Kinda like what MediaBrowser is to WMC

And for anyone having trouble accessing the market:
1. Download latest GoogleApps from here
2. Extract the system folder from the archive onto the root of a USB drive (so it looks like X:\system)
3. Boot into android, press ALT+F1 to get a console and type:
cd /mnt/USB/system
cp -R * /system/app/
chown system.root /system/app/*
chmod 644 /system/app/*
4. Press ALT+F7 to switch back to android
5. Profit?

Notes:
You need to be able to write to /system to make this worth while
I am not sure if you need to chmod/chown the apks, but it makes me feel better lol
Google Account setup only worked on wifi.
Market will let you browse on ethernet, but seems to only download when wifi is connected
Gallery View: GalleryGoogle.apk is the same as Gallery2.apk but with google stuffs
Google Quick Search Bar: GoogleQuickSearch.apk seems to outrank QuickSearch.apk

Christopher Hrabia

Mar 12, 2012, 3:48:46 PM3/12/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing! I will try it!

2012/3/12 Andrew Trimble <twi...@gmail.com>

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christopher Hrabia

Andrew Trimble

Mar 13, 2012, 7:55:22 AM3/13/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
So it turns out that MovieBrowser doesn't seem to like large collections, and spends alot of time "Loading Videos".

Did find an alternative, Mizuu. Seems to need an internet connection to update it's library (and some patience if you have a large collection) but once done it is very fast to load/reload, and even comes with some cool widgets.