Success: ICS on IBM Thinkpad X41t

StefanS

Jan 27, 2012, 6:14:52 PM1/27/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Dear group,

I'm extremely happy to announce that I've managed to compile a version of Android-x86 4.0.3 (IML74K) that works reasonably well on this little old convertible.

Working:
 - WiFi, Bluetooth
 - H/W accel (using Gallium)
 - Wacom Pen input
 - Screen brightness settings(!), see below
Not Working:
 - stagefright (videos) due to illegal opcodes
 - audio (still waiting for the solution that Chi-Wei found)
 - suspend/resume (still waiting for the solution that René found)

This version also contains the Google Apps (Market, GMail, etc.) for ICS.
You can find the device tree on github: https://github.com/seidler2547/android-x86-ibm-thinkpad-x41t/tree/x86/ics-x86

Please note that you can NOT build the hybrid ISO/USB image using only the device tree, since
 a) the Google Apps were added manually
 b) the prebuilt toolchain was not used, but the toolchain was compiled afresh without the silly Intel patches which forced SSE3 and Atom optimizations

I want to especially draw your attention to the liblights implementation (screen brightness control), which is pretty generic for x86 and should work for every laptop/computer that has the two files "brightness" and "max_brightness" somewhere in the /sys tree. For this Thinkpad I have set these two properties in system.prop:
 - backlight.brightness_file=/sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen/brightness
 - backlight.max_brightness_file=/sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen/max_brightness

I'm distributing the file as DHT torrent, which means you will need a reasonably new torrent client to download it. The magnet link is magnet:?xt=urn:btih:8acca6ea972eff9192950ca5e7b77b25c43fdd6d and the torrent file is attached.

This image should in theory work on all Laptops with Pentium M processors and Intel 915 series graphics chips.

Stefan
thinkpad_x41t-4.0.3-20120127.iso.torrent

Hasan KÖSE

Jan 28, 2012, 9:38:39 AM1/28/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
please tell us how can we do that job.

i have asus R2E (umpc) which have pentium M processor and i915 gp.
and your iso is just ok, boots an run smoothly...
just wireless and touch screen not working?

how to add them to this build?

thanks any way.

> --

Hasan KÖSE

rvdb

Jan 28, 2012, 10:45:04 AM1/28/12
to Android-x86
Hi,

>  - audio (still waiting for the solution that Chi-Wei found)
Alsa is working, a few day's ago libaudio was pushed by Chih-Wei.

>  - suspend/resume (still waiting for the solution that René found)
In ICS I am stuck :-(
resume will return to vt1, not the graphics screen
ctrl-alt-f7 also doesn't worrk
Are they related ???

> I want to especially draw your attention to the liblights implementation
> (screen brightness control), which is pretty generic for x86 and should
> work for every laptop/computer that has the two files "brightness" and
> "max_brightness" somewhere in the /sys tree. For this Thinkpad I have set
> these two properties in system.prop:
>  -
> backlight.brightness_file=/sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen/brightness                                                                                                very nice,I hardcoded 15 for the wetab.

Greetings Rene

aae_nsk

Jan 28, 2012, 11:01:20 AM1/28/12
to Android-x86
Wow! We have a hope for asus umpc android! I believe my asus R2H has
the same hardware internals as R2E besides proc type and ram size.

On 28 янв, 21:38, Hasan KÖSE <hasan.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> please tell us how can we do that job.
>
> i have asus R2E (umpc) which have pentium M processor and i915 gp.
> and your iso is just ok, boots an run smoothly...
> just wireless and touch screen not working?
>
> how to add them to this build?
>
> thanks any way.
>

> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 1:14 AM, StefanS <andr...@stefanseidel.info> wrote:
> > Dear group,
>
> > I'm extremely happy to announce that I've managed to compile a version of
> > Android-x86 4.0.3 (IML74K) that works reasonably well on this little old
> > convertible.
>
> > Working:
> >  - WiFi, Bluetooth
> >  - H/W accel (using Gallium)
> >  - Wacom Pen input
> >  - Screen brightness settings(!), see below
> > Not Working:
> >  - stagefright (videos) due to illegal opcodes
> >  - audio (still waiting for the solution that Chi-Wei found)
> >  - suspend/resume (still waiting for the solution that René found)
>
> > This version also contains the Google Apps (Market, GMail, etc.) for ICS.
> > You can find the device tree on github:
> >https://github.com/seidler2547/android-x86-ibm-thinkpad-x41t/tree/x86...

StefanS

Jan 28, 2012, 4:25:43 PM1/28/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, January 28, 2012 3:38:39 PM UTC+1, trycatch wrote:
please tell us how can we do that job.
I'm working on getting all the steps necessary written down somehow ;)

i have asus R2E (umpc) which have pentium M processor and i915 gp.
and your iso is just ok, boots an run smoothly...
just wireless and touch screen not working?

For wireless it should be easy, just need to add the driver module. I can do it. I think the touchscreen is an eGalax, it should be possible to make it work, but I don't know how.

Stefan

StefanS

Jan 29, 2012, 3:05:38 PM1/29/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:45:04 PM UTC+1, rvdb wrote:
Hi,

>  - audio (still waiting for the solution that Chi-Wei found)
Alsa is working, a few day's ago libaudio was pushed by Chih-Wei.
Thanks for the hint, repo sync did that for me :)

>  - suspend/resume (still waiting for the solution that René found)
In ICS I am stuck :-(
resume will return to vt1, not the graphics screen
ctrl-alt-f7 also doesn't worrk
Are they related ???
I think it's just that the kernel shuts down the graphics, and when the device resumes it does so at VT1 (always I think). The console isn't working because it's disabled in init.rc (one line reads stop console).
I just think the device goes to sleep again after wakeup that the graphics doesn't have a chance to come up - at least it's like that for me.

very nice,I hardcoded 15 for the wetab.
I'll soon push a version where you can just use the property backlight.brightness_max to force a maximum brightness. I think there'll be a good chance that it will be accepted as the "general" liblights implementation.

Stefan

StefanS

Jan 29, 2012, 3:39:09 PM1/29/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Dear group,

here is an updated version.
 - sound works
 - added more Wifi drivers (Asus R2E could work)
 - added more touchscreen drivers (but not sure if it works out of the box)
 - SD card (real SD card slot on the Thinkpad) works

The new magnet link is magnet:?xt=urn:btih:75742a7f44599aad7364188811c69166e1206ddb

Have fun!

Stefan
P.S.: Next on the agenda is the accelerometer (hdaps) for automatic rotation (and games ;)).
thinkpad_x41t-4.0.3-20120129.iso.torrent

Hasan KÖSE

Jan 29, 2012, 6:13:13 PM1/29/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
wow, wow, wow!

i dont believe it. i just download and test your new build in asus r2e and yes,
as you say
* sound works,
* wifi works and
** touchscreen almost work
how almost: when i touch the CENTER of screen touch is OK,
but then when i move my hand from center to RIGHT, system understand is as DOWN,
when i move my hand left, system respond as UP etc...

Dear Stefan,
in your next build, it is posible to apply a patch
meintoined here:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86/browse_thread/thread/f2e5660a25496e84/2acb3a0496733d82?lnk=gst

i think this patch should address this issue and
then out asus r2E/H family umpc will get new life i think...

actually even it does not work, i think your build is enough to use in
asus r2e already.

thank you so much...

> --
> "Android-x86" group.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-x86/-/jRnFkIcRJSMJ.

aae_nsk

Jan 30, 2012, 1:35:12 AM1/30/12
to Android-x86
Unbeleivable!!!! I'll test it in a few days on R2H

rvdb

Jan 30, 2012, 4:31:34 AM1/30/12
to Android-x86
On Jan 29, 9:05 pm, StefanS <andr...@stefanseidel.info> wrote:

> I think it's just that the kernel shuts down the graphics, and when the
> device resumes it does so at VT1 (always I think). The console isn't
> working because it's disabled in init.rc (one line reads stop console).
> I just think the device goes to sleep again after wakeup that the graphics
> doesn't have a chance to come up - at least it's like that for me.
The device goes to sleep again because android doesn't know its
waken up.
This can be fixed by writing a POWER key on resume.
The real key is eaten by the ACPI.
I did a dirty fix in powerbtnd, to emulate a power key.
The device will wake, but still on vt1.

Rene

StefanS

Jan 30, 2012, 4:37:25 AM1/30/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hasan,

On Monday, January 30, 2012 12:13:13 AM UTC+1, trycatch wrote:
wow, wow, wow!

i dont believe it. i just download and test your new build in asus r2e and yes,
as you say
* sound works,
* wifi works and
** touchscreen almost work
how almost: when i touch the CENTER of screen touch is OK,
but then when i move my hand from center to RIGHT, system understand is as DOWN,
when i move my hand left, system respond as UP etc...

Try adding "usbtouchscreen.swap_xy=1" to the kernel command line (in grub).

Stefan

StefanS

Jan 30, 2012, 5:15:09 AM1/30/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi René,

if you want to, you can try the new version of the liblights (https://github.com/seidler2547/android-x86-ibm-thinkpad-x41t/commit/e4b429cdbad314d5031c2b592f35b9d70cc949c1)
If this works for you (setting system property "backlight.max_brightness" instead of using max_brightness file, I would then ask Chih-Wei to include this in the "big" project.

Stefan

rvdb

Jan 30, 2012, 6:14:27 AM1/30/12
to Android-x86
On Jan 30, 11:15 am, StefanS <andr...@stefanseidel.info> wrote:
> Hi René,
>
> if you want to, you can try the new version of the liblights
> (https://github.com/seidler2547/android-x86-ibm-thinkpad-x41t/commit/e...)
> If this works for you (setting system property "backlight.max_brightness"
> instead of using max_brightness file, I would then ask Chih-Wei to include
> this in the "big" project.

Stefan,

I tested both:
using brightness file as well as brightness level (15).
Both are working oke.
N.B. they are located at /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0

Greetings Rene

aae_nsk

Jan 30, 2012, 1:59:02 PM1/30/12
to Android-x86
Awesome!!! It works on ASUS R2H UMPC as well on ASUS R2E!
First of all, great thanks to Stefan!

Touch screen ok
SD-card ok
USB stick ok (but cannot be read if SD card already inserted)
Internal mouse ok
Usb keyboard ok
Wi-Fi WPA2/PSK ok (Wi-Fi led is always on)
BT ok (didn't test file transfer or smthng else, just search BT
devices. BT led is on, even BT is off in control panel)
GPS was not tested today

Some questions for now.

Touch screen is quite good, but position is incorrect a little if far
from screen center.
How to calibrate or tweak in config?

How to turn on screen keyboard? When I remove usb keyboard and reboot,
no screen keyboard appears when cursor is in the text field. I think
it happens due to embedded keyboard arrow keys on the tablet's front
panel? It may be recognised as hardware keybord and softkeyboard is
disabled automatically. Thus, we need to force enable softkeyboard,
but how?

How to turn on BACK, HOME and Task Manager screen buttons?
If it's impossible, how can I navigate to Home screen directly by
using keyboard?
What is the periodically flashing red frame around the screen? How to
disable it?
Unfortunately, I didn't find the way to play videos (AVI, MPG).
YouTube didn't work.
Gallery shuts up when I try to open jpg.
Music don't plays?
When I installed ICS to HDD, I was asked about to create some space
for user data (I think it's emulate SD card). I agreed, and installer
has created 1Gb disk space. But now all apps (like gallery) say that
"NO external storage available" untill I've inserted SD-card.

Sleep mode is irrevocable.

aae_nsk

Jan 31, 2012, 11:59:18 AM1/31/12
to Android-x86
Hello, world!

Hasan has written above:

as you say
* sound works

about X41t ICS release on his Asus R2E.

I've installed to my Asus R2H and sound doesn't work..
Any suggestions?
Youtube doesn't work too. May be some hardw accel error?

No matter what, many thanks to author!

Brian Raker

Jan 31, 2012, 12:40:15 AM1/31/12
to Android-x86
Using a Thinkpad X41 tablet, model 1866-6SU. Intel WiFi 2915ABG and
HonHai modem/BT combo card.

I cannot get the WiFi to work on my install (IML74K eng.stefan.
29129127.223757). Same with Bluetooth. When I move the slider over
to [ \ ON ] it sits there for a moment, then the slider goes back to
[ OFF \ ].

Everything else seems to be working A-OK, with exception to the known
sleep mode issue.

Thank you for your help and let me know if I need to provide any debug
output. Guide me please, I am new to this but excited to help.

Thank you again!

-Brian

Brian Raker

Jan 31, 2012, 3:20:07 AM1/31/12
to Android-x86
I am trying this on an X41t (1866-6SU). So far it looks beautiful!
Congratulations Stefan!

One thing I might be missing is that I cannot seem to enable WiFi from
within ICS. The Bluetooth light is lit and can see devices, but when
I try to enable WiFi I keep on getting the following in dmesg:

ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.2.2kq
ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
ipw2200 0000:04:02.0 PCI INT A -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 21
ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection
ipw2200: Detected geography ZZA (11 802.11g channels, 13 802.11a
channels)
(40-70 seconds later)
ipw2200 0000:04:02.0 PCI INT A disabled

Eventually, the slider for WiFi On/Off becomes disabled.

Any pointers?

Cheers and thanks!

-Brian

aae_nsk

Jan 31, 2012, 8:48:04 PM1/31/12
to Android-x86
Hello group!

Please advice, how can I use onscreen controls such as HOME/BACK
buttons and how to enable softkeyboard in this release?

Thanks in advance

aae_nsk

Jan 31, 2012, 10:36:59 PM1/31/12
to Android-x86
I have desktop las shown on a photo. Do you have the same? ) Where are
onscreen navigation butttons? Heh.. Thanks

http://s59.radikal.ru/i163/1202/5e/4af634b1ed6f.jpg

StefanS

Feb 1, 2012, 3:53:41 AM2/1/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

the dmesg output looks normal. I've noticed that sometimes the wireless switch (Fn+F5 I believe) can trigger the wireless/bluetooth off in a way that prevents Linux from using it. Try enabling both during the grub screen (before Android is started).

Stefan

Hasan KÖSE

Feb 1, 2012, 4:41:49 AM2/1/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
nice desktop :)

do you enabled touchscreen (swap xy etc)

we also need to map some onboard buttons to act as menu, escape/backspace etc...

how to learn scancode of those buttons...

after we learn scancodes...

setkeycodes SCANCODE KEYCODE

we can map these buttons for navigation buttons...

Marek Wojtaszek

Feb 1, 2012, 5:05:07 AM2/1/12
to Android-x86
will it work on x61t?

On 1 Lut, 10:41, Hasan KÖSE <hasan.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> nice desktop :)
>
> do you enabled touchscreen (swap xy etc)
>
> we also need to map some onboard buttons to act as menu, escape/backspace etc...
>
> how to learn scancode of those buttons...
>
> after we learn scancodes...
>
> setkeycodes SCANCODE KEYCODE
>
> we can map these buttons for navigation buttons...

Stefan Seidel

Feb 1, 2012, 5:11:29 AM2/1/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:05, Marek Wojtaszek <woo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> will it work on x61t?

Someone with a x61t will need to try ;)

Stefan

tintar

Feb 1, 2012, 7:31:31 AM2/1/12
to Android-x86
hi Stefan - great work!

I did try your update version (20120129) on x61t and it worked in
general but seemed very slow compared to official builds (I generally
use asus_laptop)

also the wacom input did not work (which surprised me). I did not test
sound or wireless, but I can try it again to see.

looking forward to description of the steps you used to produce this
build - I have the whole environment installed and custom kernel built
and the iso image is currently building - hopefully an x61t specific
build can be produced.

tintar

Feb 1, 2012, 8:27:25 AM2/1/12
to Android-x86
ah I think I see - I bet my dmi product name wasn't matching any
conditions and so BOARD_USES_TSLIB was not being set? so looks like I
need to create new device specific config (again, my lazy self would
much appreciate seeing what yours are Stefan ;-)

thanks!

Marek Wojtaszek

Feb 1, 2012, 8:29:20 AM2/1/12
to Android-x86
Same here. I tried thinkpad_x41t-4.0.3-20120129.iso and it is
veeeeeeeery slooooooow.

No sound, can't enable wifi, digitizer works but overall performance
is to slow for test.

Marek

tintar

Feb 1, 2012, 8:38:41 AM2/1/12
to Android-x86
aaaaand ok - now I see your config files from 29 March 2011, so I will
start with those! (but if you have newer/improvements... please!)

tschau

tintar

Feb 1, 2012, 8:43:40 AM2/1/12
to Android-x86
Marek, I think the reason it is slow is that only 915 fb is enabled
and not 965. also probably missing wireless drivers (looking at Stefan
config files (granted they are from last year) only 915 graphics and
ipw2200 net are enabled)

good to know the pen input worked for you, maybe it was just so slow
that I was impatient? ha.

Marek Wojtaszek

Feb 1, 2012, 10:15:17 AM2/1/12
to Android-x86
I decided to sell x61 in last week, now I'll wait for the progress.
It's perfect device for ICS

Stefan Seidel

Feb 1, 2012, 10:28:48 AM2/1/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I think you're looking at the wrong files. Check
https://github.com/seidler2547/android-x86-ibm-thinkpad-x41t/tree/x86/ics-x86

Stefan

aae_nsk

Feb 1, 2012, 10:35:01 AM2/1/12
to Android-x86
Hello, Hasan! Glad to hear from you!

Yes, desktop is nice and it gets cold in here ))
I do nothing with touchscreen! It works as is! I don't know why. But
sound doesn't work. But you wrote that sound is ok? Isn't it?

You can go to Settings->Developer options->Show touches (and Pointer
location)
and you will see an actual position of your clicks at the screen.

Also I've found mapping of "HOME" key at h/w keyboard, it's WinKey
+ESC.
For "BACK" I'm using ESC.

But I won't use h/w keyboard at all, I just want use standard ICS
onscreen controls
like on the screenshot
http://s018.radikal.ru/i518/1202/5e/090ca62afc23.png

But I can't understand what I need to do?

tintar

Feb 1, 2012, 11:13:38 AM2/1/12
to Android-x86
thanks again Stefan - downloaded those and will use as the base for
modifications for x61t

On Feb 1, 10:28 am, Stefan Seidel <andr...@stefanseidel.info> wrote:
> I think you're looking at the wrong files. Checkhttps://github.com/seidler2547/android-x86-ibm-thinkpad-x41t/tree/x86...

aae_nsk

Feb 1, 2012, 11:25:26 AM2/1/12
to Android-x86
addition:
as in Windows OS
ALT-TAB is Recently Apps List

aae_nsk

Feb 1, 2012, 11:59:04 AM2/1/12
to Android-x86
Dear X41 tablet users! Can you use onscreen android keyboard and
onscreen controls like home/back/recent apps, if you close the tablets
screen lid and use only touch screen?

Thanks in advance!

Stefan Seidel

Feb 1, 2012, 12:10:25 PM2/1/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the onscreen controls are there. Probably because we have
1024x768 resolution?
But I have also mapped the hardware buttons on the screen bezel, check
the latest init.thinkpad_x41t.rc in github! But I also noticed that
for example in the browser, the back key (mapped to code 1 (ESC))
won't work - but I don't know why.

Stefan

aae_nsk

Feb 1, 2012, 12:39:43 PM2/1/12
to Android-x86
Yes, maybe because low res 800x480, but there are sufficient space at
screen bottom for onscreen controls, or at the top edge (where the
status bar located and always on top)...

And where is android softkeyboard? Why I can't choose it as
preferrable input method in settings (Location and input)? Selector is
always greyed.

Stefan Seidel

Feb 1, 2012, 12:54:21 PM2/1/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 18:39, aae_nsk <eisenb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And where is android softkeyboard? Why I can't choose it as
> preferrable input method in settings (Location and input)? Selector is
> always greyed.

When I go to keyboard settings or when I'm in an input field, in the
notification bar there is a keyboard symbol and there comes an option
switch "use physical keyboard". Probably for a "proper" device tree
for your tab there should be an option that the device doesn't have a
physical keyboard.

Stefan

Brian Raker

Feb 1, 2012, 2:26:50 PM2/1/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for helping, Stefan.

I've tried Fn + F5, and it turns on the bluetooth (can link to my cellphone OK), it just doesn't want to allow my ipw2915 to scan or associate.

I'll wipe it tonight and reload with a fresh image download and see if that helps any.

-Brian

aae_nsk

Feb 1, 2012, 9:03:41 PM2/1/12
to Android-x86
On 2 фев, 00:54, Stefan Seidel <pri...@stefanseidel.info> wrote:
> When I go to keyboard settings or when I'm in an input field, in the
> notification bar there is a keyboard symbol and there comes an option
> switch "use physical keyboard". Probably for a "proper" device tree
> for your tab there should be an option that the device doesn't have a
> physical keyboard.

Thanks, Stefan.
Yes, there is a keyboard notification symbol in the left upper corner,
when I'm in an input field. Option switch contains the next selector:

Google speech-to-text
English (USA) (Android keyboard)
Russian (Android keyboard)

If I select any, I see a red frame blink on the screen and nothing
happens (What is this red blinking frame?).

With a hope for a decision. Thanks for yor release.

StefanS

Feb 2, 2012, 4:00:36 AM2/2/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com, rene.van....@gmail.com
Ok, René, I see your point now. Here is how I did some PM debugging:
- enabled some pm debugging flags in the kernel (not necessary but nice)
- boot with cmdline "... debug DEBUG=1" (no "quiet" on the cmdline)
- when the UI has started, open terminal emulator, do "su" and "start console"
- start debugging suspend/resume

I have also mapped a key to code 116 (KEY_POWER) using "setkeycodes xx 116", so that I can simulate a power key without using the real key.
What I saw in logcat is that surfaceflinger doesn't seem to try to re-create the EGL context, it just tries to reconnect and finally says something like "about to give up surface". So I think that after the resume, the graphics really doesn't come up anymore, but I don't know why. I might try with the classic i915 driver and see if it's only an issue with Gallium.

Stefan

On Monday, January 30, 2012 10:31:34 AM UTC+1, rvdb wrote:
On Jan 29, 9:05 pm, StefanS <andr...@stefanseidel.info> wrote:

> I think it's just that the kernel shuts down the graphics, and when the
> device resumes it does so at VT1 (always I think). The console isn't
> working because it's disabled in init.rc (one line reads stop console).
> I just think the device goes to sleep again after wakeup that the graphics
> doesn't have a chance to come up - at least it's like that for me.
The device goes to sleep again because android doesn't know its
waken up.
This can be fixed by writing a POWER key on resume.
The real key is eaten by the ACPI.
I did a dirty fix in powerbtnd, to emulate a power key.
The device will wake, but still on vt1.

Rene

Chih-Wei Huang

Feb 2, 2012, 11:42:09 AM2/2/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
If you have res 800x480, try set dpi=120
to get tablet mode UI.
(though the font may be very small)

2012/2/2 aae_nsk <eisenb...@gmail.com>:

> Yes, maybe because low res 800x480, but there are sufficient space at
> screen bottom for onscreen controls, or at the top edge (where the
> status bar located and always on top)...

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org

aae_nsk

Feb 2, 2012, 10:43:24 PM2/2/12
to Android-x86
On 2 фев, 23:42, Chih-Wei Huang <cwhu...@android-x86.org> wrote:
> If you have res 800x480, try set dpi=120
> to get tablet mode UI.
> (though the font may be very small)

Thank you, Chih-Wei!
It may helps! I have to make own build or can change param in GRUB
befor loading android? Or can change it in control panel? Sorry for my
lack of knowledge. Why other users prefer phone mode UI on larger
screens? Tablet mode is more suitable, imho, than phone UI in
landscape mode. Some of the cheapest android tablets have 800x480 res
on 7 inch screen and it seems quite comfortable for use. What do you
think about it?

I saw dpi variable in:

android-x86-ibm-thinkpad-x41t / system.prop
# system.prop for x41t
ro.sf.lcd_density=160

Is it right place?

Thanks.

Chih-Wei Huang

Feb 3, 2012, 2:45:08 AM2/3/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
2012/2/3 aae_nsk <eisenb...@gmail.com>:

> It may helps! I have to make own build or can change param in GRUB
> befor loading android? Or can change it in control panel? Sorry for my
> lack of knowledge. Why other users prefer phone mode UI on larger
> screens? Tablet  mode is more suitable, imho, than phone UI in
> landscape mode. Some of the cheapest android tablets have 800x480 res
> on 7 inch screen and it seems quite comfortable for use. What do you
> think about it?

Google determines ICS UI according to
resolution and dpi. That's not defined by us.
I think from the viewpoint of Google, 800x480
is a phone resolution.

> I saw dpi variable in:
> android-x86-ibm-thinkpad-x41t / system.prop
> # system.prop for x41t
> ro.sf.lcd_density=160
> Is it right place?

Yes, you can change it, or set DPI=120 in cmdline.

aae_nsk

Feb 3, 2012, 10:00:24 AM2/3/12
to Android-x86
Thanks, I'll try..

Command "set DPI=120" in console have no any effect. Another way is to
edit system.prop on system volume. But system volume has RO attribute.
And I can't remount it to RW by any way.

Stefan Seidel

Feb 3, 2012, 10:03:59 AM2/3/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
It's kernel ... DPI=120 in grub, before Android is booted!

Stefan

topmahof

Feb 3, 2012, 12:02:25 PM2/3/12
to Android-x86
Hi Stefan,

I think it's really great what you did here for the X41t. I have
three of these little notebooks. Your build will give these machines
a new lease on life.
I ran it live from usb and on one of the machines I installed it on a
small partition. It works great. I ran both your builds. I ran it
live on a machine with bluetooth and on one without.
I'm having a problem turning the WIFI on. All these machines have the
2200bg cards. In grub debug, it correctly detects the network
connection and the card.
Within Android, bluetooth is on by default, but moving the WIFI slider
to on makes Android try to turn it on. Wireless light on display
bezel blinks once every three seconds for about a minute and then the
slider within Android slides to off, but Android still says it is
turning the wireless on. The bluetooth light on the bezel is on. I can
pair with a Rocketfish mouse. I saw your post above where you said to
turn it on in grub. Exactly how is that done? Please forgive the
noobish question, but as I can see it in debug mode it seems to be
enabled.
The issue is the same on the partition as well as running it live
using unetbootin, Lili USB creator, on both of your image builds. As
far as I can see, I tried it every way there was for the install, but
the wireless attributes are the same for every install.
This is a very usable build. I'd sure like to get wireless working. I
have my own router and I have a repeater that connects to various
unsecured networks in the neighborhood and I can connect to those
networks with all of my machines.

Thanks for your consideration, this is great what you're doing.

Dave

aae_nsk

Feb 4, 2012, 1:02:45 PM2/4/12
to Android-x86
Many thanks, Stefan and Chih-Wei! It really works. Now I have tablet
desktop layout and onscreen controls. Do I need to create own build
for applying permanent DPI setting?

And finally, how can I force android to popup keyboard? What are
Google and ICS thinking about it? Why android keyboard is greyed in
control panel?

Marek Wojtaszek

Feb 8, 2012, 5:37:47 AM2/8/12
to Android-x86
How to enable screen bezel buttons in x61t? Accelerometer does not
work in my x61t so I would like change screen orientation with proper
button.

Duarte Velez Grilo

Feb 8, 2012, 5:45:31 AM2/8/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

the same functionality would be appreciated for the eeepc t101mt and
t91. This pages may be useful:

- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/T101MT
- http://www.maxerist.net/main/soft-for-win/tabletgohome

-- Duarte

2012/2/8 Marek Wojtaszek <woo...@gmail.com>:

> How to enable screen bezel buttons in x61t? Accelerometer does not
> work in my x61t so I would like change screen orientation with proper
> button.

Stefan Seidel

Feb 8, 2012, 9:48:28 AM2/8/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:37, Marek Wojtaszek <woo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How to enable screen bezel buttons in x61t?
See my init.thinkpad_x41t.rc for an example (setkeycode). The dmesg
will print the keycode in plain txt if you press the button.

> Accelerometer does not
> work in my x61t

You mean your hardware is broken? Or just you don't have the
libsensors in your build?

> so I would like change screen orientation with proper
> button.

Use the kdbsensor libsensors, it uses keyboard shortcuts for rotation.

Stefan

Marek Wojtaszek

Feb 9, 2012, 5:18:58 AM2/9/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
> How to enable screen bezel buttons in x61t?
See my init.thinkpad_x41t.rc for an example (setkeycode). The dmesg will print the keycode in plain txt if you press the button.

I'm just user, not have knowledge for compile something or change kernel etc.

> Accelerometer does not work in my x61t
You mean your hardware is broken? Or just you don't have the libsensors in your build?

How to check this "libsensors"?

> so I would like change screen orientation with proper button.
Use the kdbsensor libsensors, it uses keyboard shortcuts for rotation.

How?

Marek

StefanS

Feb 9, 2012, 5:40:55 AM2/9/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:18, Marek Wojtaszek <woo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > How to enable screen bezel buttons in x61t?
>> See my init.thinkpad_x41t.rc for an example (setkeycode). The dmesg will
>> print the keycode in plain txt if you press the button.
>

> I'm just user, not have knowledge for compile something or change kernel
> etc.

You have two option:
a) find someone who is willing+able to do it
b) read and learn and do it yourself, and contribute it back ;)

Unfortunately, that's the way it works for "users". Either you live
with what you get, or you become a "developer" :) (It's not that
hard.)

Stefan

Message has been deleted

Marek Wojtaszek

Feb 9, 2012, 8:01:14 AM2/9/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I've done some research and now I know that 0x6c is the button for screen orientation and there is no keycode for screen orientation change in key layout file.

kbdsensor could do the job, but is too complicated for me :(

StefanS

Feb 9, 2012, 6:49:28 PM2/9/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com

james...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2012, 6:25:44 PM2/11/12
to Android-x86
I would really like to try this out on my x41t but there doesn't seem
to be anyone seeding this. Can it be hosted somewhere, maybe on the
x86 android site?

Thanks

On Jan 29, 8:39 pm, StefanS <andr...@stefanseidel.info> wrote:
> Dear group,
>
> here is an updated version.
>  - sound works
>  - added more Wifi drivers (Asus R2E could work)
>  - added more touchscreen drivers (but not sure if it works out of the box)
>  - SD card (real SD card slot on the Thinkpad) works
>
> The new magnet link is
> magnet:?xt=urn:btih:75742a7f44599aad7364188811c69166e1206ddb
>
> Have fun!
>
> Stefan
> P.S.: Next on the agenda is the accelerometer (hdaps) for automatic
> rotation (and games ;)).
>
>  thinkpad_x41t-4.0.3-20120129.iso.torrent
> 31KViewDownload

topmahof

Feb 11, 2012, 7:31:16 PM2/11/12
to Android-x86
I'm seeding the two latest versions with utorrent. I'll leave them
seed for 5 hours from now and I'll let them seed tomorrow most of the
day.

On Feb 11, 6:25 pm, "JamesBew...@gmail.com" <jamesbew...@gmail.com>

Stefan Seidel

Feb 12, 2012, 1:27:41 AM2/12/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com, James...@gmail.com

There's a more recent version available, try this.

Stefan

Dimitar Ganchev

Feb 18, 2012, 3:48:20 AM2/18/12
to Android-x86
I have managed to install thinkpad_x41t-4.0.3-20120209.iso on a small
partition of the harddisk of Asus R2H. It took me about a day or so,
but I have finally found the keycodes of the special keys of R2H:

Wireless: 238
Left menu key: 226
Right menu key: 240

Put the following in /system/usr/keylayouts/Generic.kl:

key 238 MENU
key 240 HOME
key 226 ESCAPE

and comment or remove this line:

#key 226 HEADSETHOOK

This way the original "phone" layout (800x480) is usable. Be careful -
the "Wireless" button (now "Menu") is very close to the "Login"
button, which sends ctrl-alt-del and instantly reboots your device!

Problem: soft keyboard not working in "phone" layout.

In my opinion, Android thinks there is a physical keyboard (even if
there isn't, because there are few physical keys anyway).
Unfortunately in "phone" layout there is no option to turn off the
external keyboard. You can change the keyboard application, but the is
no option "Use physical keyboard ON/OFF". There is such an option in
the "tablet" layout and the soft keyboard then works. However, the
"tablet" layout has two drawbacks: first I need a physical keyboard to
edit the GRUB command line (adding DPI=120) each time I reboot the
device and the font is too small. Even if you increase the font size
in the browser, all icons and pictures are not resized and the pages
become ugly. It would be nice if Google makes this option to zoom the
whole page, not only the font, as it is with Chrome for PC.

As there is no grub in the Android image, does anyone know an easy way
to edit the missing /boot/grub/menu.lst?

Next problem: audio not working

Alsa is loaded, modules for Intel audio (snd_hda_codec, snd_hda_intel)
are loaded, however snd_hda_intel is not used (lsmod shows
snd_hda_indel 18061 0).
alsa_ctl init says: Unknown hardware "HDA-Intel", however the hardware
seems to be initialized.
The alsa mixer has only one control: "Master". No "PCM". The volume
control of Android has no effect on the Master control (changing the
volume from Android does not change the value of this control),
however alsa_amixer does.

Next problem: touchscreen is not calibrated.

The clickable area is about 5% smaller than the visible one. This
means that the pointer is about 20 pixels away from where you click
when you are close to screen edges - it is 20 pixels on the right when
you click close to the left edge of the screen, 20 pixels upper when
you click close to the bottom, etc. This is very annoying when you use
soft keyboard, because it is (obviously) located very close to the
bottom edge of the screen - you have to be sure to click the lower
half of the buttons. It is very difficult, almost impossible, to click
on the "keyboard" icon on the status bar. Use the hardware pointer
(the "mouse") for fine navigation.

Regards,
Dimitar

On Feb 1, 11:41 am, Hasan KÖSE <hasan.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> nice desktop :)
>
> do you enabled touchscreen (swap xy etc)
>
> we also need to map some onboard buttons to act as menu, escape/backspace etc...
>
> how to learn scancode of those buttons...
>
> after we learn scancodes...
>
> setkeycodes SCANCODE KEYCODE
>
> we can map these buttons for navigation buttons...
>
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:36 AM, aae_nsk <eisenberg....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have desktop las shown on a photo. Do you have the same? ) Where are
> > onscreen navigation butttons? Heh.. Thanks
>
> >http://s59.radikal.ru/i163/1202/5e/4af634b1ed6f.jpg
>
> > --
>
> --
> Hasan KÖSE

topmahof

Mar 3, 2012, 5:55:21 PM3/3/12
to Android-x86
Hi Stefan,

YES, this works on my old x41t. This is a very usable build. It'll
give these tablets a new lease on life.

Thank you, thank you,

Dave

On Feb 1, 5:11 am, Stefan Seidel <andr...@stefanseidel.info> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:05, Marek Wojtaszek <woom...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > will it work on x61t?
>
> Someone with a x61t will need to try ;)
>
> Stefan

manav prajapati

Mar 16, 2012, 1:21:24 AM3/16/12
to Android-x86
Dear stefan,
I installed it on my x41 tablet(whithout bluetooth).
every thing seems good except WIFI.
When i slide the wifi to on.it says "Turning WI-FI on"bt the wifi
doesn't start..
plz reply....

StefanS

Mar 16, 2012, 11:30:41 AM3/16/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Please use the newest build, this issue is fixed a long time ago. See
http://stefanseidel.info/index.php?view=article&id=6:android-x86-progress

Stefan

manav prajapati

Mar 16, 2012, 12:03:41 PM3/16/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
thanx very much.....

aae_nsk

Aug 7, 2012, 5:05:30 PM8/7/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello! I hope it helps you to have permanent DPI=120 setting. I've done it.
http://www.borncity.com/blog/2011/12/13/running-honeycomb-on-a-eee-pc-701g/

Many thanks to Stefan for the awesome experience!

I have Asus R2H.
Last build "thinkpad_universal-4.0.3-20120307.iso" works fine and we can switch off physical keyboard, if your device in a "DPI=120" mode.

But some issues.
Audio still doesn't work... (

Wifi works, but sometimes doesn't connect to network after boot-up or after wake-up. Network is marked as "Saved", but manual connection has no result. I have to on/off airplane mode to make it work again.

The problem with clickable area still remains. Accidentally, I've seen the system info like "vga=800 height=444" within a file that I can't find for now. It was not build.prop, but I didn't write its name. Which file it can be?