Patch for virtualbox support

Daniel FAGES

Jan 25, 2012, 8:44:30 AM1/25/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com, Chih-Wei Huang
Hi,
here's my proposition for VirtualBox support in android-x86 ICS.

You'll find attached 2 files :
- A .tar containing the device/vm/vm/ files
- A patch for "battery poll" support

What's working :
- Graphics, obviously :-)
- Mouse (was already OK)
- Audio (at least AC97 and Intel HDA shoud be supported)
- Ethernet DHCP-only with no config (waiting for the ethernet patch to be added to the git)

What's not working :
- Camera (as for other builds)
- Screen timeout make the UI hangs - that's why I've changed the default screen timeout from 1 min to 30 mins

Some comments :
- VirtualBox ACPI implementation don't seem to send ACPI events on battery level changes and charger plug/unplug ; I had to implement a "battery polling" mechanism to have correct battery information. This polling mechanism is activated by the setting the status.battery.polling property to 1, the polling frequency being set with the status.battery.polling_freq property (nb secs between 2 polling) with 30 secs default.
- The 3D acceleration is disabled through the "debug.egl.hw=0" property (in system.prop)
- Audio : I had to set the "PCM" control on in init.sh to have sound working
- Ethernet is enable through the overlays/framework/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml

This image might be working for VMWare and even on generic x86 but I've not tested.

You can download a test ISO from here : http://www.buildroid.org/Download/android-x86-vm-20120125.iso.gz

Comments welcome,
Dan.
device_vm_vm_20120125.tar
patch_battery_poll

Ron M

Jan 26, 2012, 9:40:19 AM1/26/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Daniel,

I did not look at the files yet, but can you please elaborate more
about the motivation/purpose of the patches?

From what my experience with android-x86 ICS over VBOX the Graphics
and Ethernet are working fine - and the Screen timeout has not been
fixed (I haven't been able to fix that yet - it's not related to the
Screen Lock itself (KeyGuard something, dont' recall at the moment) -
neither is it related to the wake lock (I made PM aquire the lock, but
somehow once VBOX focus is lost - the problems return.

What do you need the "battery poll" feature for? Is there any
"operational need" from your side? just being curious.

Fixing the "Hanging UI" would be, in my opinion, the best enhancment
to the current VBOX part, along with
enabling virtual terminal switching (ctrl+F1 / ctrl+F7) which no
longer works on ICS.
I would be glad to participate/discuss/contribute further, but I
haven't dealt with it for a couple of weeks.

Ron

Daniel Fages

Jan 26, 2012, 9:50:11 AM1/26/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron,
I didn't find any "target" for vm in android-x86 ICS, that's why I've created one (using the previous vm/vm in gingerbread).
Isn't it interesting to have a "vm" target in android-x86 ICS, as in older versions ?
This will allow, after this basic things, to support more specific things as "VirtualBox Guest Additions" that would allow file sharing between guest and host (this is already working on my AOSP local tree, I have to make sure it's also working on android-x86) and OpenGL hardware acceleration (working on that...).

According to the tests I've done few weeks ago, the SystemUI package was continuously crashing - the solution I've found is to set the debug.egl.hw to 0 in ordre to disable 3D Hardware acceleration - maybe it has been corrected while I was working on it on my side but I didn't notice.

As you said, Ethernet was already working but setting the config.xml as in my vm/vm/... allowed to automatically turn DHCP on and set the DNS correctly (net.dnsX) without any other patch [waiting for the 'official' ethernet patch to be integrated into android-x86).

The "battery poll" feature as you probably noticed allow to have the battery info (level, charger) to be updated while VirtualBox don't send ACPI events. There's no real "operational need" behind that - just the objective to have things working :-)

I've begun working on the "Hanging UI" bug and will make the group informed as things progress.

Regards,
Dan.

Robill Tian Supatrio

Jan 26, 2012, 10:17:10 AM1/26/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

are you familiar with the ARM emulator inside vbox build (also inside the default AOSP android emulator)?
Is there a way to make it a standalone module? My intention is to allow ARM emulator to be enabled/disabled
on demand, e.g. if you have an apk that is implemented only for ARM. Basically you have a native build like
eeepc/asus/tegav2, but with an extra option to enable/disable ARM emulator. Is that possible?

Just thinking aloud here.

best regards,

Robill

Ron M

Jan 26, 2012, 10:18:02 AM1/26/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply.
I just used the "generic_x86" target for that.
As for the ethernet stuff, I added an "exec netcfg dhcp" on the
init.rc variant.
Wasn't aware of that XML, but I actually never got to do things in a
non-quick-and-dirty way. Yet.

Ron

Daniel Fages

Jan 26, 2012, 10:19:38 AM1/26/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
And you probably also add to do a "setprop net.dns1 x.y.z.t" to have DNS (because if I remember correctly only the net.eth.dns1 would be set this way), aren't you ?

Robill Tian Supatrio

Jan 26, 2012, 10:35:34 AM1/26/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Dan,
regarding ethernet, have you looked at:

there is a patch for ICS. Let us know whether it works for you.

Robill

Ron M

Jan 26, 2012, 11:21:42 AM1/26/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Yes Dan, I have.
If I am not mistaken, net.eth.dns is obsolete and was used in the
versions prior to Gingerbread.

I apologize for being lazy about the syntaxes - I'm just shooting off
my head. Haven't worked on it for a while (business before pleasure...
:( )

Daniel Fages

Jan 26, 2012, 11:22:06 AM1/26/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
yes I saw this thread but hadn't tested it yet.
I've just done the test.
Results :
- The default Ethernet interface was not the good one (sit0 instead of eth0), not a real problem ; I didn't look into the code, is there a way to configure the default interface ?
- More important, as told by others, the DNS server is not set correctly and set to 8.8.8.8

Regards,
Dan.

Daniel Fages

Jan 26, 2012, 11:23:18 AM1/26/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Oh yes, one other thing : I still have "No Internet connection" in the status bar (even when I set the correct DNS server using "setprop net.dns1 x.y.z.t".

Dan.

Ron M

Jan 26, 2012, 11:39:47 AM1/26/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Daniel, netcfg eth0 dhcp did the trick for me as for as I recall.

Daniel Fages

Jan 27, 2012, 11:26:27 AM1/27/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I was wrong when I wrote about "UI hangs bug".
Indeed, it's not a bug just a "configuration issue".
To wake up Android, you have to press a key which have the "WAKE_DROPPED" option in the .kl file you use.
By default (at least in the Generic.kl file used by default in my vbox build), only the "Windows menu" key (code 127) is configured with the WAKE_DROPPED option.
That means - when Android sleeps, you have to push the "Windows menu" key to wake it up.

I'll look how to have wake up just by moving the mouse - what would be more "user friendly" on PCs.

Dan.

2012/1/26 Daniel Fages <dfa...@gmail.com>
Hi Ron,

Paul Simon

Jan 27, 2012, 9:16:16 AM1/27/12
to Android-x86
your ISO works under vmware 8 and internet works battery shows 100
percent, however I get no sound but then
I get no sound with any of the other isos from 2.2,2.3 to 4.0 so Im
missing something?
its almost like its muted..
I tried all the other ICS builds on download page and they all crashed
with a error about setup and would go no further so you have fixed
something to make it work for me

Paul Simon

Jan 27, 2012, 8:33:10 PM1/27/12
to Android-x86
I tried your iso also today on VirtualBox 4.1
that also no sound. but runs internet all fine like VM8 did... may I
ask what VM
and version your using since you say sound worked for you. I really
wish
when they upgrade VM environments thay
they offer a tick to use legacy drivers/emulation only to keep things
compatible. e.g. in VM8 no option for machine to force to 6.0
emulation since
VM8 has a new codec i read else where
which is probably why no sound is working

On Jan 28, 3:16 am, Paul Simon <coolkiwim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> your ISO works undervmware8and internet works battery shows 100

Paul Simon

Jan 28, 2012, 12:46:26 AM1/28/12
to Android-x86
Ok I tried all this on another much older laptop however its duel core
and has HD audio hardware and installed older versions of Vmware 7.14
and also virtualbox 2.2 and
still no sound on either regardless of what I try or iso. and yes I
set sound blaster 16 for VB however host controller only gives null
audio driver or windows directsound. I did a check with dxdiag for the
sound and it all works and plays so if VB is interception the SB16
codes and transcoding it to directsound it should work right? now I
got a older laptop stil pre non core however I dont want to use it..
these isos should work on acer and hp laptops using VM .. so again
whats the trick to getting sound working in VMs?? with your ICS iso as
you state it works for you??

Daniel Fages

Jan 28, 2012, 5:47:53 AM1/28/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
if you use the ISO image I've shared, I advise to set the sound card to be emulated as "Intel AC97"  - I'm not sure I've included SB16 drivers.

Regarsd,
Dan.

Paul Simon

Jan 28, 2012, 10:23:19 AM1/28/12
to Android-x86
thanks that worked i did try Intel HD audio and it didnt work and
Sound B 16 but for some reason I missed your statement about ac97 and
read the howtos about using SB16
so confirmed this iso is working with sound in virtualbox 4.1

but I really want it working in vmplayer and vm8

what can I do to hard code AC97 for vmware 8? or even VM 7 is it like
adding virtual.dev="AC 97"

what about 2.2 isos whats the magic line
to get sound emulated in VM 8 and.or
VM 7.15
as I really want to run 2.2 or 2.3 if possible

Cheers

On Jan 28, 11:47 pm, Daniel Fages <dfa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> if you use the ISO image I've shared, I advise to set the sound card to be
> emulated as "Intel AC97"  - I'm not sure I've included SB16 drivers.
>
> Regarsd,
> Dan.

Paul Simon

Jan 28, 2012, 10:44:07 AM1/28/12
to Android-x86
ok i tried this in the vmware 8 config
file and no sound.. any solution for vmware?

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.allowGuestConnectionControl = "TRUE"

sound.virtualDev="es1371"

sound.fileName = "Speakers / HP (IDT High Definit"

sound.autodetect = "FALSE"

i see theres a extra line further down
talking about sound.PCI = "34"

also

Daniel Fages

Jan 28, 2012, 10:49:49 AM1/28/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Not sure drivers for vmware are compiled in my iso. I'll check that.

Dan.

Paul Simon

Jan 28, 2012, 8:41:41 PM1/28/12
to Android-x86
I was having a play on the other duel core laptop acer travelmate that
had virtualbox 2.2 installed

your iso works on that with AC97 sound set

i havent tested yet on my i7 klaptop 3 core that has latest virtualbox
4.1
to see if i have the same problems

but I get google to find andsmb.apk and
try to download it and it never downloads
the icon in tray always working and no progress, its like google see
web ok
but the downloader is separate and looking
at the wifi.. is that correct.

its ashame you dont have ANDSMB pre installed as with that you can
connect
to any windows share and NAS box and
download music video or backed up apps
to the sdcard so can install or play them

in fact non of the isos have such a great utility pre installed

without downloading apps like i can find no way to install any other
apps to play with it

even the andappstore wont work but works
on eepc 2.2 etc builds alas they have no vmware or Vbox sound

have you noticed the andappstore changed it.. and now
require you to install a app called soc.mail which then shows all the
apps can download which they dont have them all like google market but
andsmb is there its free app I wouldnt see why develop wouldnt mind it
preinstalled on isos as it gets him known or more business

a vital one to access windows shares

Perhaps someone needs to tell developers that so can fix and add a
section int he downloads with VM enabled isos would be

Paul Simon

Jan 29, 2012, 6:15:48 AM1/29/12
to Android-x86
Just letting you know since the above I found the internet wont work
in nat or bridge in vmw8 either although the iso loads same as in VBX4
(except no sound working) so you prob found that out too if
playing with it more since my requests

i see theres no ethernet listed in settings maybe that is now added in
with the talk of a new ethernet patch for ICS perhaps?

but I guess virtualbox 4 will do once you work out why the download
aps fails then once we got andsmb running (i found v1.4 works in 2.2
only too)
i can then connect and install my apps from NAS share.

at the moment i have everything working with a OLD iso I came across..
called 2.2-generic.. sounds works and enternet and got andsmb install
and no other apps

the only iso I found working with sb16 on VBOX was the oldest 1.6
android so looks like admin need to really update the help howtos here
and download page

Daniel Fages

Jan 29, 2012, 3:10:55 PM1/29/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Yep, I made some tests under vmware and saw Ethernet doesn't work. Corrected by adding the e1000 ethernet driver to the kernel.
Concerning audio in Vmware, I also had to add the es1371 driver - it's better now but I still have some problem ; I'm investigating that. As soon as this is solved, I'll share a new iso

Dan.

Paul Simon

Jan 30, 2012, 6:58:09 AM1/30/12
to Android-x86
thanks be interested in grabbing
they should add your VM isos to
the download section and with descript
what it works on and versions
perhaps you need to add some manual
stuff to the config file of vmw8 virtual.dev perhaps.. its silly they
dont have emulation options like VBOX
though.

remember add a file manager and andsmb
to the pre installed apps they are
really 2 must have.. its saves redownloading of the web and file
manager
makes it easier to install apps
else using terminal is a pain and slower
with su-ing then cp-ing the packages to
/data/app

i think someone got some vmtools for unix
going for vbox i read somewhere but not vmware

cheers

On Jan 30, 9:10 am, Daniel Fages <dfa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yep, I made some tests under vmware and saw Ethernet doesn't work.
> Corrected by adding the e1000 ethernet driver to the kernel.
> Concerning audio in Vmware, I also had to add the es1371 driver - it's
> better now but I still have some problem ; I'm investigating that. As soon
> as this is solved, I'll share a new iso
>
> Dan.

Daniel Fages

Jan 30, 2012, 7:07:37 AM1/30/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
you can find here a new ISO test : http://www.buildroid.org/Download/android-x86-vm-20120130.iso.gz

Differences :
- Support for e1000 Ethernet driver (for VMWare)
- Support for ENS1371 audio driver (for VMWare) with some tweaks in the audio HAL to make it work
- Ethernet patch from Robill applied with some personal patch to fix DHCP

So now it should work for VMWare (I've tested with VMWare Workstation 7.1.4).

One note on VirtualBox : the default Ethernet card is set to "sit0" so you have to go in Settings->Ethernet configuration and change it to "eth0" to have network working.

Regards,
Dan.

Paul Simon

Jan 30, 2012, 7:26:49 AM1/30/12
to Android-x86
ok i will check it out. but you wont have file manager and andsmb I
bet preinstalled :) i only have vm8
on this laptop but have another with older
i think one can choose when making a machine via custom which wmware
model to use like 6.5 or 6.7 (doesnt list 7 so I assume
is same as 6.7(

Paul Simon

Jan 30, 2012, 7:36:33 AM1/30/12
to Android-x86
ALSO
im using vmbox 4.1 and in settings
network.. even under advance theres
no sit or eth0 or do you been in the running iso? or perhaps its only
editable or only applies to older VBOXs??
anyhow better go and check it out and see if works and report back..

Paul Simon

Jan 30, 2012, 8:37:25 AM1/30/12
to Android-x86
ok I figured it out, you mean once
installed click android settings manager and under ethernet tab (which
is now there yippy) change sit to eth0

and yes it works well much better then last build of ICS for VM
machines

i first used google to fine the site
that had apk of andexploter and andsmb1,4
then I could install apps and download
mine from windows shares

odd thing my file manager and root exploter all gave startup errors
andexplorer was only one that worked

i did change vbox 4.1 network settings in advance to fastnet III from
intel 1000 and it works but not sure if I should of left on intel if
it mattered or not

also Live wallpapers dont work in this ICS iso just normal ones :
( also I see earth rotating globe that exists in the 2.2. generic is
missing which I love that one

right I will test in vmware 8 next or tomorrow its 3am already :(
and post back on that. tomorrow..

Paul Simon

Jan 30, 2012, 9:47:11 AM1/30/12
to Android-x86
Confirmed working with sound and ethernet
in vmware 8 once change eth0 in iso settings

as above in VBOX4.1 once download rotation locker (can force
landscape)
really works in ICS iso (think said fails
in 2.2 iso wrong hware) can find the
annoying portrait flip.. forces all apps
to landscape. really nice

also once got andsmb and andexplorer
made it a breeze to install apps from shares

all games work better then in 2.2/2.3
no screen corruption in space invader
on landscape

no weird crash outs

live wall papers dont work and CTL-F! keys dont work guess thats a fix
in next builds although can live without those

Paul Simon

Jan 31, 2012, 4:08:59 AM1/31/12
to Android-x86
a new problem has occurred
when it reboots the login screen is landscape but once its in its
portrait

i tried ro.sf.hwrotation=0 but that seems
to affect only the login screen direction
not the desktop

only way round is to enable the app
called roation locker.. however it has no
option to autorun at logon so rebooting
you have to start it again and
you get the weird mouse issue
when the screen rotates in Vbox and VMware

so things to do?

1) make sure its landscape on fresh reboot as some apps can change
orientation and wont switch back or stay there

2) live wallpapers

3) the weird mouse controls gone when
times out.. have to power off vm and reboot it

cheers

Paul Simon

Jan 31, 2012, 8:22:46 AM1/31/12
to Android-x86
i managed to get some live wall papers working

I googled and found live wallpaper picker.apk which says v2.1 and was
size 64kb from CM mod forum
its for CM6

anyhow it installed over top of existing one.

then I download earthrot 1.3.9 live wall paper. from googling i found
the apk
and installed that.

on selecting that one it came up
however it crashed twice in a row
returning to desktop

on 3rd try it stuck I assume it might
of create data in the sdcard

then I downloaded and install some other wallpapers like snowflakes
aquarium
again worked no crash outs and some didnt or partially worked.

maybe that help solve it.. seems the
default ones none of them work

Ron M

Jan 31, 2012, 9:26:55 AM1/31/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Daniel,
Where did you copy your device/ files from ?
Is it an asus_laptop configuration you started off, or the gingerbread
(if so, which one? AOSP or android-x86 ?) device tree?

I am actually asking because I used to build for "generic_x86" - and
try to make it work on some core-i 7desktop at the time of 4.01 - and
VBOX worked well for me, but ever since the 4.03 upgrade
-"generic_x86" kernel panics, whereas the ASUS configuration for
examlpe works well with VBOX.

I also saw your discussion about VMWare etc. - Are you guys talking
about a Hosted VMWare (That is linux host running VmWare running
Android-x86), or also about VMWare on a barebone HW?
Kind of a long shot, but does anyone here have any experience ramping
up those targets on a XEN ?

BTW,
I tested your iso and it's awesome for the moment. Kudos for the good
work, and the clear instructions (also on the other groups. I
appreciate your work!)

Ron.

Daniel Fages

Jan 31, 2012, 9:33:24 AM1/31/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron,
I actually work on 2 different builds :
- One from AOSP
- The other one from android-x86

For AOSP, I've created my /device/* files from scratch.
For Android-x86, I took the /device/vm/vm/* from android-x86 Gingerbread and adapted them.

Concerning VMWare, I don't really know what others do with my ISO :-) but on my side I test it using VMware Workstation (not on ESX/ESXi) ; anyway, I'm pretty sure it will also run on ESX/ESXi barebone hypervisor.

No recent experience on Xen but about one year ago I've run a Froyo android-x86 on Xen with VGA-Passthrough function so that Android directly access the VGA card for OpenGL - the result was quite impressive :-)

Regards,
Dan.

Ron M

Jan 31, 2012, 9:39:18 AM1/31/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Do you care explaining further about the AOSP configuration itself?
Do you have a patch for that too? Which kernel version do you work
with if you're doing the AOSP project - the notorious 2.6.29
"goldfish" one?

Thanks,
Ron

Daniel Fages

Jan 31, 2012, 10:09:14 AM1/31/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
You can find my "device/testing/vbox86" directory here : http://www.buildroid.org/Download/vbox86.4.0.3bd2.tgz
I used the 2.6.29 goldfish kernel.

Paul Simon

Feb 1, 2012, 6:38:49 AM2/1/12
to Android-x86
running vmware 8 on top of windows 7 32bit
and in that running the android iso

flies on i7 laptop.. full sound, full web
and live wallpaper working once fiddle with it.

i using bridge networking but I think
NAT will work also. bridged as it can
get its own IP and andSMB can connect to
it and it connect to any PC with shares on the lan. or wifi

airdriod also good for backuping up and installing apps

iso just need a few good utils like this preinstalled really
Message has been deleted

Ron M

Mar 5, 2012, 10:26:01 AM3/5/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
tabletsX86 :
Would the material in the proposed link work around the annoying issue
in google apps/setup screen, where WIFI must be present
in order to sign in to GoogleApps ?

Let me further clarify:
I am running my android-x86 target with google apps.

When I try to sign in to my account, the WifiPickerActivity is
selected. However, since my device has no WIFI, nor 3G, even when the
ethernet patch is working,
and internet works well (with "No Internet connection" on the status
bar) - I have no way to tell the initial setup screen, or any of the
google apps to
that a network connection is on, and that there is no really need in
such a thing.
I tried to advance the WifiStateMachine directly to the state where IP
is assigned, but that trick fails in the way.
I would be satisfied in somehow telling the Framework that the
ethernet is a 3G connection, as I believe the android emulator does in
AOSP, or any other idea that would
solve the connectivity issue - in terms of google apps/sign
in/whatever (I am not familiar enough with other applications that
need this kind of stuff, as the browser
works well with it).

Any idea to work around that?

Thanks,
Ron

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 1:12 AM, tabletsx86 <rbg.tab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> see here:
>
> https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/32890/1
>

> On Jan 26, 11:23 am, Daniel Fages <dfa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Oh yes, one other thing : I still have "No Internet connection" in the
>> status bar (even when I set the correct DNS server using "setprop net.dns1
>> x.y.z.t".

>> Dan.
>>
>> 2012/1/26 Daniel Fages <dfa...@gmail.com>
>>

>> > Hi,
>> > yes I saw this thread but hadn't tested it yet.
>> > I've just done the test.
>> > Results :
>> > - The default Ethernet interface was not the good one (sit0 instead of
>> > eth0), not a real problem ; I didn't look into the code, is there a way to
>> > configure the default interface ?
>> > - More important, as told by others, the DNS server is not set correctly
>> > and set to 8.8.8.8
>>
>> > Regards,
>> > Dan.

Ron M

Mar 6, 2012, 5:36:42 AM3/6/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
yet another git question for tabletsX86 or anyone else - can you
please git-advice how to merge this with the current android-x86
status?
cherry-picking introduces all the AOSP files, and removes the previous
ethernet patch I applied.

Thanks,
Ron

Message has been deleted

Ron M

Mar 6, 2012, 8:21:11 AM3/6/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I don't understand what would that give.
My machine DOES NOT have wifi, so it will be impossible to do so.

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM, tabletsx86 <rbg.tab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> connect to market with etnernet only, give wifi fake address
>
> you can try this...seen in another thread..have not tested!!
>
> netcfg wlan0 down
> netcfg wlan0 up
> busybox ifconfig wlan0 169.254.1.50 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
> 169.254.2.255
> netcfg eth0 up
> dhcpcd eth0
> setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8

> On Mar 5, 10:26 am, Ron M <ron...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> tabletsX86 :
>> Would the material in the proposed link work around the annoying issue
>> in google apps/setup screen, where WIFI must be present
>> in order to sign in to GoogleApps ?
>>
>> Let me further clarify:
>> I am running my android-x86 target with google apps.
>>
>> When I try to sign in to my account, the WifiPickerActivity  is
>> selected. However, since my device has no WIFI, nor 3G, even when the
>> ethernet patch is working,

>> and internet works well (with "No Internet connection" on thestatusbar) - I have no way to tell the initial setup screen, or any of the

>> google apps to
>> that a network connection is on, and that there is no really need in
>> such a thing.
>> I tried to advance the WifiStateMachine directly to the state where IP
>> is assigned, but that trick fails in the way.
>> I would be satisfied in somehow telling the Framework that the
>> ethernet is a 3G connection, as I believe the android emulator does in
>> AOSP, or any other idea that would
>> solve the connectivity issue - in terms of google apps/sign
>> in/whatever (I am not familiar enough with other applications that
>> need this kind of stuff, as the browser
>> works well with it).
>>
>> Any idea to work around that?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ron
>>

>> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 1:12 AM, tabletsx86 <rbg.tablets...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > see here:
>>
>> >https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/32890/1

>> read more »

Message has been deleted

Ron M

Mar 6, 2012, 7:23:38 PM3/6/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
This has nothing to do with what I asked. as I was talking about a
Connectivity awareness problem (i.e. for Download Provider, SystemUI's
Status bar, etc.) - but THANKS FOR THE LINK :-)

I combined the two patch sets of the android-x86 and the AOSP ethernet
patch you referred to earlier.
I can submit a combined patch if anyone is interested (still waiting
for some feedback whether this is acceptable, as "git format-patch"
would take away the credit
from those I used their patches ).
Everything is working great, on some false ethernet disconnection
detection on the UI bar, which is just a decoration IMHO.

Thanks,
Ron

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM, tabletsx86 <rbg.tab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> good point, remember I'd seen that a while ago and just looked it up
> for you, just assumed you had wifi also as I do...LOL
>
> anyway...checked out the issue and found this...haven't tried it but
> worth a go I guess..
> let us know...
>
> http://www.addictivetips.com/internet-tips/how-to-download-android-market-apps-to-your-computer-apk-downloader/

Message has been deleted

Billy

Mar 7, 2012, 8:19:53 AM3/7/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Any chance you could post an iso? A shrink-wrapped, Market-usable, VM-runnable image looks like the holy grail!
Thx

>> read more »

Ron M

Mar 7, 2012, 11:06:47 PM3/7/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com

I would be glad to do that.
Can you recommend me of an easy to use, free file storage website I can use?

As for the reviewed patch - I was talking about adding a patch immediately applicable to ics-x86, for those who want to explore, and not merge manually.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-x86/-/49flZYnfbH8J.