Motorola Milestone

michae...@googlemail.com

Jan 25, 2010, 7:41:40 AM1/25/10
to Android Wifi Tether
Hi,

I used wireless_tether_2_0_pre1-eclair.apk on Motorola Milestone (UMTS
version of Droid).

It said "No Netfilter" but that is not true, because when I started
tethering there were netfilter rules in filter and nat table -
verified with the iptables binary in the apk (/data/data...).

/data/data/android.tether/bin # ./iptables -L -n -v
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 7795 packets, 1033K bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source
destination

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source
destination
0 0 ACCEPT 0 -- * * 192.168.2.0/24
0.0.0.0/0
0 0 ACCEPT 0 -- * * 0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0 state RELATED,ESTABLISHED

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 896 packets, 64081 bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source
destination

/data/data/android.tether/bin # ./iptables -t nat -L -n -v
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 191 packets, 31519 bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source
destination

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 101 packets, 6201 bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source
destination
0 0 MASQUERADE 0 -- * * 192.168.2.0/24
0.0.0.0/0

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 101 packets, 6201 bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source
destination

But I was not able to connect to the phone with wlan - altough wlan
was switched to ad-hoc - verified with the /system/bin/wlan_cu tool on
the phone, but it said SSID <empty> - is this expected?

iwconfig agrees:

/data/data/android.tether/bin # ./iwconfig tiwlan0
tiwlan0 IEEE 802.11ABG ESSID:""
Mode:Ad-Hoc Frequency:6 kHz Cell: 02:00:00:64:7B:65
Tx-Power:-51 Sensitivity=-80 dBm
RTS thr=4096 B Fragment thr=4096 B
Encryption key:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

Maybe the tiwlan driver is missing some feature or is somehow
different then the ones where it works?

I think, cannot be much to get tethering working on milestone and I
(as well as much other milestone owners) would very much appreciate
your support in that.

Thanks!

Bye,

Michael

android-wifi-tether

Jan 25, 2010, 8:00:26 AM1/25/10
to michae...@googlemail.com, android-w...@googlegroups.com
We are currently working on droid-support. A new version of the app
will be available next days.

The reason why you get that "No Netfilter" message is because there is
no /proc/config.gz (which contains the kernel-configuration) available
on filesystem (seems to be disabled in the kernel that it dumps the
config to the filesystem).

Anyway ... stay tuned for the next pre-release (-pre2) - this will
support the droid/milestone.

Harry