How to upgrade your HTC Dream or Magic if you have Linux

Fabian Rodriguez

Jan 27, 2010, 11:41:04 AM1/27/10
to Android users in Canada
Most Linux users probably know this already by now but I had to
explain it to a friend earlier so I thought I'd document it
publically.

If you use Linux, you will need to call Rogers and tell them you have
"a computer that is not compatible with their upgrade". That's how
they refer to Windows 7 and Mac users, and we fall under that category
too.

They then proposed 2 options:
- Send an SD card with the required file on it to upgrade
- Give me a direct link to the file

I chose both (as they offered it), as I didn't want to erase my card
(I had 3 partitions on it, Cyanogen stuff and more).

The direct link to the file I got is:
http://downloads.rogers.com/wireless/hardware/andy/stuff/HTC_Dream_Update.zip

The MD5 checksum is: 25bfcc329679e4869b3d65f673e463ac

If you have an HTC Magic I can almost guarantee that file won't work
and will probably irreversibly damage it or brick it. DON'T USE IT!
You should get a link to the appropriate file. Ask your friendly
Rogers rep.

Once you get that ZIP file, inside is DREAIMG.nbh. I asked the rep if
the file would have instructions. I was assured yes... guess what... I
had to search on the web and this is what worked for me.

I filmed my upgrade process for the HTC Dream from Rogers. This may be
similar for the MAGIC, try at your own risk!

I followed these steps:
- Put the DREAIMG.nbh file on a FAT-32 formatted SD card
- Turn the phone off
- Turn it on while holding the camera button
- Once booted, you should see a file check and the DREAIMG.nbh file
will be found. Press ACTION (the roller ball) to accept, and wait.

This video illustrates this process:
http://en.theorasea.org/story.php?title=HTC-Dream-911-firmware-upgrade-1

The official word from Rogers is they won't enable 3G access unless
you upgrade. The "please network refresh my phone" will work (if at
all) for only a few hours. They do periodic scans of versions and if
you don't have this one, you're out of 3G.

I hate Rogers.

Leslie Anne Chatterton

Jan 28, 2010, 2:13:48 PM1/28/10
to android-use...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fabian,

I have just followed your instructions and successfully updated my "old" Rogers Dream to the new ROM. Unfortunately it doesn't have that nice "Sense" update, just the same old Rogers desktops.

One interesting point - my SD card had been formatted as FAT and it didn't see the new img file nor would it update. I had not realized that the exact format was such a critical issue! Once I copied all the files off, formatted FAT-32 and began again it worked just beautifully. I wonder why they offered a free exchange to the Magic when the Dream was still quite usable.

When I was offered a brand new "Magic" model free I eagerly took them up on it since it has twice the ROM storage space and 50% more RAM. I can now install at least 50% more apps without running short of space. When I got the Dream last June I wasn't clear just how much difference there was and it turned out it was a lot.

They didn't ask for the Dream back so I still have it as a WiFi only phone to experiment with.

Possibly others are in the same position, or at least have some ideas to contribute - my question is, are there any limits to what I can do with the "old" Dream? As far as I can see I could buy a SIM card from any other provider and use it. I know it was unlocked by the little card I bought from eBay for under $10 since I used it on a recent vacation. Does anyone think Rogers will catch me and make waves over my continuing to use the Dream? If there is any market for it I'd even consider selling it. In the mean time I'm probably going to try out one of the Cyanogen modded ROMs.

Leslie Anne

F. Rodriguez

Jan 29, 2010, 2:23:27 PM1/29/10
to android-use...@googlegroups.com

I have since learned if you do the update you won't be able to root your phone and/or install custom ROMs.

So essentially the Rogers update AFAIK is also a trick to lock down their devices :(

The Sense UI is only for Magic owners.

There is a way to get Rogers to reinstate your Internet access, by calling them and pretending you upgraded. You will need to know what version #s to tell and social-enginerr your way through it. Other forums detail this.

I hopen another Cyanogen release will come up for people like me who trusted Rogers yet again, and fucked yet again.

Until then I am stcuk in 2008 :(

On Jan 28, 2010 2:13 PM, "Leslie Anne Chatterton" <lahc...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Fabian Rodriguez <magi...@gmail.com> wrote: > > Most Linux use...

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android users in Cana...

Leslie Anne Chatterton

Jan 29, 2010, 3:06:10 PM1/29/10
to android-use...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure the loopholes they have closed will be opened up in a new and better way by some of our brainy devs! For myself I'm still not prepared to risk the ultimate disaster on my main phone. And here's why...

A couple of improvements after the upgrade that weren't advertised...

First, multi-touch now works in the browser and photo gallery. I can really enlarge or shrink the screen with the 2 finger gestures just like on the iPhone.

Second, when playing videos a box pops up asking if I want to use UTube or HTC flash. The latter works, and as far as I can tell HTC have quietly made their own alternative to the Adobe Flash.

Rogers may be too restrictive but they do have some nice goodies for us now and then.

Leslie Anne

F. Rodriguez

Jan 29, 2010, 4:34:37 PM1/29/10
to android-use...@googlegroups.com
Just FYI those changes are part of the Magic ROM, not the Dream one.

Those and many more improvements are part of Cyanogen for as long as I
can remember. Really, Rogers is not doing us any favro with this
crappy update.

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre

Jan 29, 2010, 5:25:11 PM1/29/10
to android-use...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 4:34 PM, F. Rodriguez >

> Those and many more improvements are part of Cyanogen for as long as I
> can remember. Really, Rogers is not doing us any favro with this
> crappy update.

Just curious, where or what indicated that it was no longer possible
to update/root the Magic following Rogers' update?

I'm curious to know if, for example, downgrading the HBOOT image and
upgrading the actual OS and other firmware versions to make it work.

As for calling Rogers saying that the upgrade was done (mine was
anyway), I'm pretty sure it would be trivial to note the version
numbers from Phone Status and from fastboot and give them a call with
this data ;)

/ Matt

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre

Jan 29, 2010, 6:52:28 PM1/29/10
to android-use...@googlegroups.com
Looking through http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=622106&page=39

It seems like the CursorSense32A mod should still be working, and I'm
willing to try it. I'll first have to upgrade to an engineering SPL,
which I should be able to do shortly since I have a goldcard already
done and all... Then I'll try to put CursorSense, see how it goes, and
revert partially to Rogers' ROM if possible.

Starting this now, so I'll post instructions if I manage to get
something working.

If not well... I happen to have a backup phone available, let's just
hope I won't have to resort to it :D

/ Matt