A year ago ...

BogDan

Feb 20, 2011, 11:38:48 AM2/20/11
to android-qt
I had a dream that one day, I'll be able to deploy existing Qt
software on any Android platform.
I had a dream that one day, all Qt applications will use system wide
shared Qt libraries.
I had a dream that one day, all Qt applications once compiled and
deployed to one android platform, will run on any other newer android
platform and will last for years without any recompilation.
I had a dream that one day, I'll be able to create, manage, compile
debug and deploy Qt apps using a first class citizen IDE.

Now, those dreams become reality.

Ladies and Gentlemen I have the honor and the privilege to announce
the immediate availability of *NECESSITAS* suite.

What does „ncecessitas” mean and what is it?

Necessitas is a latin word (Roman goddess of necessity) and it means:
necessity. It has more profound and powerful meanings, please check:
http://www.whiterosesgarden.com/deities/DTY_Roman/necessitas.htm and
you'll understand what I mean :). Why don’t I use "Qt" and/or
"Android" words? Because Nokia "recommended" me NOT to use "Qt",
because more than 4 weeks ago I sent a mail to Google about "android"
word and I get didn’t get an answer until now. Why latin? I don't
know, maybe because I'm a latin :)

I also bought a domain name for this project it's called
"licentia.eu", yes another latin word :) (http://
catholic.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookit.pl?latin=licentia), it means
freedom, liberty. I choosed licentia.eu as domain name and necessitas
as a subdomain because I don't want to stop here :).

Necessitas is a Qt suite for Android platform containing the following
components:
- Ministro (http://www.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookit.pl?
latin=ministro) is a system wide qt libraries installer/provider (you
can download the latest version from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ministro.necessitas.p/files).
- Qt framework.
- Qt Creator for Android. (you cand download the package from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/necessitas/files). For a seamless
debugging exepience I recommend you to replace official gdb with a
newer one from: http://code.google.com/p/android-lighthouse/downloads/detail?name=gdb.tar.bz2&can=2&q=

Thanks to Damien Buhl, you can find high quality documentation at
http://sourceforge.net/p/necessitas/wiki/Home/. Thank you again
fellow, without your help this release would not have been possible.

Before we get further I want to be crystal clear: This is an ALPHA
release! Is not meant to be used in production, PLEASE don't deploy
apps on Android Market because THE API IS NOT STABLE, please wait
until Nokia (or us) will ship at least a beta version! I deployed a qt
example (Animatedtiles) to Android Market ONLY to test Ministro
package promise, but it will be removed soon.
So, why this release is that important?
IMHO, for this project, this is the MOST important release ever, why?
Because now I'll put in your hands all the tools you need to begin
hacking on this project, and also to begin working on your apps,
because now, I hope, all the skeptic folks out there, will see the
potential of this project and will join us. Because Qt API is not
frozen yet, and if we need to add some API to Qt framework, now we
have a good chance to push them to upstream Qt.

Also I want to make clear one more thing, this project is community
work, Nokia and/or Google are not involved directly (yet, I hope :P )!
Also, I'm very grateful to Google because they made a wonderful truly
*free* O.S., I'm very grateful to Google because they have open minds
and they allowed this to happen, I'm very grateful to Trolltech and
Nokia because they made the best C++ framework ever: Qt framework, I'm
very grateful to Trolltech and Nokia because they made a first class
IDE for that framework.

Now the boring technical part:

What is done:

Ministro:
It was the most critical missing piece of this project, without it
this project is almost worthless, this installer/provider is the
guarantee that all your apps will run on ALL android platforms WITHOUT
any modification! (ok, you also can compile qt statically (or worst
put all qt libs into your apk) but your application will target only
one andriod platform).

How it works:
- when your application starts, it searches for Ministro service, if
the service is not installed, your applications will open the android
market and request user to install it (it also starts the search for
the user).
- (after the service is installed) the application connects to
Ministro service, it gives a list of qtmodules and waits
(patiently :) ) for Ministro's callback.
- Ministro downloads all necessary libraries (only if they are
missing), and callbacks the application and gives it a list with all
necessary libraries to run.
- the application loads all libraries provided by Ministro service
and finally it starts.

Known issues:
Sometime it receives corrupt data from the server (I didn't had enough
time to investigate this problem, I just try to download it again).

Qt Framework:
- Most of Qt framework is ported or in progress. This relase is
shipped only with "sw" platform plugin.
"sw" - comes from SingleWindow, this plugin uses only one Android
native window to draw all qt top level windows (IT DOESN'T mean you
can't have more then one top level window in Qt, like dialogs, menus,
combo-boxes, etc. ). Actually this plugins uses Nokia's framebuffer
implementation (IMHO this is very good because we don't need to
maintain our own plugin), I only made simple connections between
Nokia's plugin and android system. The ONLY problem this plugin has,
is that it doesn't support hardware acceleration so no OpenGL. For
OpenGL I need to resurrect "mw" plugins, I'll do it after sw plugin
will be production stable.

- The java part is cleanup and it provides only necessary
implementation for sw plugin.
"eu.licentia.necessitas.industius" (http://catholic.archives.nd.edu/
cgi-bin/lookit.pl?latin=industius) is the package name for qt
framework java part and probably
"eu.licentia.necessitas.mobile" (http://catholic.archives.nd.edu/cgi-
bin/lookit.pl?latin=mobile) will be for QtMobility part.

(A lot of :) ) Known issues:
http://code.google.com/p/android-lighthouse/issues/list?can=2&q=&sort=priority&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Milestone%20Owner%20Summary

Qt Creator for Android:
I think the following five words will discribes perfectly what is it:
Create, Manage, Compile, Deploy, Debug.
There are a lot of things to tell you about Qt framework <--> Qt
Creator integration, sadly my English is not good enough to do it, so
I'll let this images to speak for me: http://blip.tv/file/4790125 or
if you prefere youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMXUsfqUgYM
(youtube video was speedup al little bit to fit in 15 minutes youtube
restriction).

Known issues:
Sometime it hangs big time, it seems I've done something wrong
there :)

Necessitas SDK.
Known issues:
You must install it into /opt/necessitas folder.
For some misterious reason, the uninstaller, doesn't remove the icon
from your desktop.

Todo list for all projects: http://sourceforge.net/p/necessitas/wiki/Todo

Before I end this announce I'd like to thanks you all for your support
and consideration. Also, I want to apologizes, because it took such a
long time to release this SDK, but please understand that is very hard
to do everything almost alone (and don't forget, I had to do it only
in my free time, it doesn't mean I hate my job, I'm happy with my
current job, with what I'm doing every day (even if is not directly
related with qt, but keeps my brain in good shape), I'm proud to be
part of a great top developers team). It is extremely hard to think to
big things and also to be very carefull to the details, that’s why
you'll probably find a lot of stupid bugs, I also apologize for that
too. Also, I want to thank to all pure souls, who helped me with this
release.

I have a dream today, I have a dream that now, you'll be convinced by
this project’s potential and you'll join us in this beautiful journey,
and together, will finish this wonderful project. (Now it’s time for
you to say: keep on dreaming, sonny, keep on dreaming :) )

Seriously, now you have to decide what you want to do: you want to buy
Elot Savior bullshit about WP Nokia phones, and start learning a new
language made in Micro$oft labs, and silly-light (oh, sorry, shitty-
light, sorry again, one more try: silverlight, whew, is hard ..)API,
with, God knows how many, hidden patents which they will use them to
sue you, when they'll go down (see what happened with Google when they
tried to used java)? Or you want to stay with the most advanced and
free language and with the most advanced c++ framework and (soon) to
target millions of real phones (this phones are in peoples hands, now,
not in the Elot's dreams!), with the most used mobile O.S out there?
It's your choice!

The most immportant links:
New project page: http://sourceforge.net/p/necessitas/home/
Necessitas SDK: http://sourceforge.net/projects/necessitas/files/
For a seamless debugging exepience don't forget to replace official
gdb with a newer one from: http://code.google.com/p/android-lighthouse/downloads/detail?name=gdb.tar.bz2&can=2&q=
Thanks to Damien Buhl, you can join the documentation at
http://sourceforge.net/p/necessitas/wiki/Home/
A small screencast showing you what we accomplished until now:
http://blip.tv/file/4790125 or if you prefer youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMXUsfqUgYM
Todo list for all projects: http://sourceforge.net/p/necessitas/wiki/Todo

I'd like to end this announce with some quotes (which I like very
much):

Albert Einstein: "Only a life lived for others is a life worth while"
A pure soul on the net added to that: "Happiness is nothing unless you
have someone to share it with. Those who only live and care for
themselves end up miserable and lonely"

Linus tolvalds: "Software is like sex; it's better when it's free."

Thank you for your patience, support and consideration.

Yours sincerely,
BogDan Vatra.

P.S. With your permission I would like to dedicate (only :P ) this
release version to my son Radu, I had to sacrifice some of our free
time to make this happen, so, this is how I can thank him !

Damian Mazurkiewicz

Feb 20, 2011, 11:48:27 AM2/20/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com, BogDan
This is awesome! You made my day better as I was very bored and angry working on some of my projects whereas now I can play and start making something good, finally for Android! I will check out code and everything else in just few minutes and maybe try to make Arch Linux package. Thanks again! :)

Gour

Feb 20, 2011, 11:59:07 AM2/20/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 08:38:48 -0800 (PST)
BogDan <taipan...@gmail.com> wrote:

THANK YOU!!!

> Seriously, now you have to decide what you want to do: you want to buy
> Elot Savior bullshit about WP Nokia phones, and start learning a new
> language made in Micro$oft labs, and silly-light (oh, sorry, shitty-
> light, sorry again, one more try: silverlight, whew, is hard ..)API,
> with, God knows how many, hidden patents which they will use them to
> sue you, when they'll go down (see what happened with Google when they
> tried to used java)?

No, thanks.

> Or you want to stay with the most advanced and free language and
> with the most advanced c++ framework and (soon) to target millions
> of real phones (this phones are in peoples hands, now, not in the
> Elot's dreams!), with the most used mobile O.S out there? It's your
> choice!

I had short excursion into webOS world, but HP does not like to have
devs from Croatia...:-(

Now I just wonder of Necessitas will allow me to use D considering
there will be ready QtD port?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
“In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are
all mental speculations…” (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: CDBF17CA

signature.asc

Pradeepto Bhattacharya

Feb 20, 2011, 11:59:47 AM2/20/11
On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM, BogDan <taipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had a dream that one day, I'll be able to deploy existing Qt
> software on any Android platform.
> I had a dream that one day, all Qt applications will use system wide
> shared Qt libraries.
> I had a dream that one day, all Qt applications once compiled and
> deployed to one android platform, will run on any other newer android
> platform and will last for years without any recompilation.
> I had a dream that one day, I'll be able to create, manage, compile
> debug and deploy Qt apps using a first class citizen IDE.

Thank you for your dream. And letting us be a part of it.

Awesome work!

Cheers!

Pradeepto
--
Pradeepto Kumar Bhattacharya
A *Proud* Member of The KDE Project.

Friedger Müffke

Feb 20, 2011, 12:22:05 PM2/20/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Bogdan,

That is great! Thank you for your continued effort and working on your dream!
Honestly high regards,
Friedger

Nikos Chantziaras

Feb 20, 2011, 3:27:48 PM2/20/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On 02/20/2011 06:38 PM, BogDan wrote:
>[...]
> What does �ncecessitas� mean and what is it?

It means you've done extremely well and it means a lot of people are
going to be using your work ;-)

Thank you!

Damian Mazurkiewicz

Feb 20, 2011, 10:21:56 PM2/20/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com

I have question, again, about qt libs on sd card. I installed your demo and after checking it I moved qt libs and demo to sd card by using some button in settings. It works! Does it mean that libs are on sd card now or just sinistry(?) application? Thanks.

On Feb 20, 2011 8:27 PM, "Nikos Chantziaras" <rea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/20/2011 06:38 PM, BogDan wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>

>> What does „ncecessitas” mean and what is it?

BogDan Vatra

Feb 20, 2011, 10:34:38 PM2/20/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Damian,

It's strange, very strange, I can't do it on my HTC Desire HD :)
Can you tell me what rom version do you use ?

BogDan.

Damian Mazurkiewicz

Feb 20, 2011, 10:43:44 PM2/20/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com

I am on htc desire with stock rom called amethyst. :-)

BogDan Vatra

Feb 20, 2011, 10:56:05 PM2/20/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
May I know the exact version (e.g. 2.2.x or 2.3.x) ?

Damian Mazurkiewicz

Feb 20, 2011, 10:58:09 PM2/20/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Oh sorry. This is gingerbread 2.3.2 based on 2.6.37 kernel. Thanks.

İsmail Dönmez

Feb 21, 2011, 2:57:50 AM2/21/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com, BogDan
Hi;

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 6:38 PM, BogDan <taipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
I had a dream that one day, I'll be able to deploy existing Qt
software on any Android platform.
I had a dream that one day, all Qt applications will use system wide
shared Qt libraries.
I had a dream that one day, all Qt applications once compiled and
deployed to one android platform, will run on any other newer android
platform and will last for years without any recompilation.
I had a dream that one day, I'll be able to create, manage, compile
debug and deploy Qt apps using a first class citizen IDE.

Now, those dreams become reality.

Ladies and Gentlemen I have the honor and the privilege to announce
the immediate availability of *NECESSITAS* suite.

Thanks for the update! But please update examples too :-)

Regards,
ismail

BogDan

Feb 21, 2011, 3:15:28 AM2/21/11
to android-qt
Hi İsmail,

Which one should I update ? Now you don't need to do anything special
to your qt application, just open it with QtCreator and follow the
steps.

BogDan.

İsmail Dönmez

Feb 21, 2011, 3:20:43 AM2/21/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com, BogDan
Hi BogDan;

I'd like to build without Qt Creator also, updating the QtAnimatedTiles example would be a great start :-)

(Also note that there is still examples/android and examples/android_sw confusion).

Regards,
ismail

Dio

Feb 21, 2011, 3:56:35 AM2/21/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Nice, I wish I could help for the Mac OS X port. Go Qt! :-) -- How about the QML thingy?

BogDan Vatra

Feb 21, 2011, 4:56:48 AM2/21/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
QML is working well. I didn't find any major issues.
BogDan.
Sent from my HTC Desire HD.

Feb 21, 2011, 10:36:32 AM2/21/11
to android-qt
I am just "installing" clean archlinux install to start some android
development as I can't really do this on my netbook and I have
question, do I need android-ndk or just android-sdk package? Also if
there are people who would be interested in more "real" way of talking
then maybe we should go to some IRC channel? #qt-android on
freenode.net is almost empty. Thanks.

Damien Buhl

Feb 21, 2011, 11:35:18 AM2/21/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mazur,

You need both android sdk & ndk, like explained in the documentation there:
http://sourceforge.net/p/necessitas/wiki/Setup%20QtCreator/

Note that only last versions of the sdk and ndk are usable.

I will come on the IRC channel tomorrow and I will be there for 2 weeks,
I hope I'll be able to help you.

Kindest regards,

daminetreg

Damian Mazurkiewicz

Feb 21, 2011, 11:47:29 AM2/21/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thank You! I managed it to work, well almost! The only problem I have is "Ant location" - I cannot find anything like this anywhere. Which package should provide it?

Mazur

Feb 21, 2011, 12:36:22 PM2/21/11
to android-qt
All right, just nevermind. I got it "working". Now my problem is
permissions. I have android-sdk, android-ndk installed in /opt/ and
even if I install this SDK in /opt/ as root or even in /home/Mazur/
Desktop as normal user then I cannot make this step "Jump back to the
Qt4 tab, select the version of Qt you added previously and build the
gdb helpers, so that your debugging output will be clean and easily
readable for Qt specific constructs." and here is why. When I am in
root I cannot run qtcreator because of:

"** GLib-GIO:ERROR:gdbusconnection.c:2270:initable_init: assertion
failed: (connection->initialization_error == NULL) Aborted"

.. this error whereas when I am running qtcreator as normal user then
I am getting this error:

"Error running '/usr/bin/make' in /home/Mazur/Desktop/Necessitas/
Android/4.7.60/qtc-debugging-helper/: The process returned exit code
2:
/opt/android-ndk/toolchains/arm-linux-androideabi-4.4.3/prebuilt/linux-
x86/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-g++ -c -Wno-psabi -march=armv5te -
mtune=xscale -msoft-float -fpic -mthumb -ffunction-sections -funwind-
tables -fstack-protector -fno-short-enums -DANDROID -D__ARM_ARCH_5__ -
D__ARM_ARCH_5T__ -D__ARM_ARCH_5E__ -D__ARM_ARCH_5TE__ -Wa,--
noexecstack -DQT_NO_QWS_TRANSFORMED -Os -g -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-
strict-aliasing -finline-limit=64 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -
DQT_NO_CORESERVICES -DUSE_QT_GUI=1 -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -
DQT_CORE_LIB -I../mkspecs/android-g++ -I. -I/opt/necessitas/Android/
4.7.60/include/QtCore -I/opt/necessitas/Android/4.7.60/include/QtGui -
I/opt/necessitas/Android/4.7.60/include -I.moc/release-shared -I/opt/
android-ndk/platforms/android-4/arch-arm/usr/include -I/opt/android-
ndk/sources/cxx-stl/gnu-libstdc++/include -I/opt/android-ndk/sources/
cxx-stl/gnu-libstdc++/libs/armeabi/include -o .obj/release-shared/
gdbmacros.o gdbmacros.cpp
make: execvp: /opt/android-ndk/toolchains/arm-linux-androideabi-4.4.3/
prebuilt/linux-x86/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-g++: Permission denied
make: *** [.obj/release-shared/gdbmacros.o] Error 127"

Any ideas what should I do?

Marius Bugge Monsen

Feb 21, 2011, 9:30:31 AM2/21/11
to android-qt
Fantastic work BogDan! Thank you!

- Former Troll of 8 years

Damian Mazurkiewicz

Feb 21, 2011, 1:51:09 PM2/21/11
to android-qt
Hi,

Sorry for spamming this mailing list today but I finally get it working! I just was angry so I made the whole android-ndk chmoded 777 :3. After that I had problem with stupid ant package which was broken under arch linux. Now it's working and my application is already done and debugging! I love you people :D!

Thank You,
Mazur

Sergey A. Galin

Feb 21, 2011, 2:05:33 PM2/21/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi BogDan,

My congratulations!

Will test it on a number of devices as soon as time permits (this week
is going to be hard).

--
Best regards,
Sergey A.Galin

Alessandro Portale

Feb 21, 2011, 4:30:21 PM2/21/11
to android-qt
Hi BogDan,

my congratulations to your vision and endurance to stem this amazing
project. I am impressed of how you managed to create this complete
solution for development and deployment of Qt apps for the (now) most
popular mobile platform. Kudos to the contributers, too!
I am so happy to see QML applications running on my Android based
media player. With Necessitas&Ministro, you made me an Android
developer although I do not have any clue about Android development.

- Current troll with painful Qt-to-mobile-platform-porting experience

BogDan

Feb 21, 2011, 10:27:04 PM2/21/11
to android-qt
Hi Sergey,

Thank you very much Sergey.

Please let me know if you find something wrong.
I deployed to Android Market a qt demo (Animatedtiles) please use that
application to test Ministro on any device (starting with
android-4(1.6) ending with android-10 (2.3.3), be aware honeycomb is
not yet supported, it should be based on android-9 but I didn't had
enough time to test it).

Cheers,
BogDan.

Lúcio Corrêa

Feb 21, 2011, 10:41:43 PM2/21/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
2011/2/22 Lúcio Corrêa <lucio....@gmail.com>:

> The project was slashdotted!
> http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/11/02/22/0119247/First-Alpha-of-Qt-For-Android-Released?from=twitter
>
> --
> Lúcio Flávio Corrêa
> (+55) (87) 9127-9487
> @luciofcorrea

Btw, the video was removed "For nudity or sexual content". WTF?

--
Lúcio Flávio Corrêa
(+55) (87) 9127-9487

Lúcio Corrêa

Feb 21, 2011, 11:10:10 PM2/21/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:45 AM, BogDan Vatra <taipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Lúcio,
>
> I see that, unbelievable !
>
> I sent a mail to youtube asking for answers.
>
> BogDan.

It looks like it's the wallpaper...

BogDan Vatra

Lúcio Corrêa

Feb 21, 2011, 10:40:01 PM2/21/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 1:38 PM, BogDan <taipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMXUsfqUgYM
> Todo list for all projects: http://sourceforge.net/p/necessitas/wiki/Todo
>
> I'd like to end this announce with some quotes (which I like very
> much):
>
> Albert Einstein: "Only a life lived for others is a life worth while"
> A pure soul on the net added to that: "Happiness is nothing unless you
> have someone to share it with. Those who only live and care for
> themselves end up miserable and lonely"
>
> Linus tolvalds: "Software is like sex; it's better when it's free."
>

> Thank you for your patience, support and consideration.
>
> Yours sincerely,
> BogDan Vatra.
>
> P.S. With your permission I would like to dedicate (only :P ) this
> release version to my son Radu, I had to sacrifice some of our free
> time to make this happen, so, this is how I can thank him !

BogDan

Feb 21, 2011, 10:30:18 PM2/21/11
to android-qt
Thank you very much !
Your feedback is priceless for me !

On Feb 20, 4:59 pm, Pradeepto Bhattacharya <pradeep...@gmail.com>
wrote:
[...]
> Thank you for your dream. And letting us be a part of it.
>
> Awesome work!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Pradeepto
> --
> Pradeepto Kumar Bhattacharya
> A *Proud* Member of The KDE Project.
> The KDE Project :http://www.kde.org
On Feb 21, 2:30 pm, Marius Bugge Monsen
<marius.bugge.mon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fantastic work BogDan! Thank you!
>
> - Former Troll of 8 years

On Feb 21, 9:30 pm, Alessandro Portale

BogDan

Feb 21, 2011, 10:16:40 PM2/21/11
to android-qt
Hi Damian,

Depends by your distribution, for debian/ubuntu you need to run: sudo
apt-get install ant

BogDan.

On Feb 21, 4:47 pm, Damian Mazurkiewicz

Luke

Feb 22, 2011, 1:56:12 AM2/22/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
No, its the incredible software :)
Its pornography for android programmers.
Great work BogDan!

BogDan

Feb 21, 2011, 11:12:56 PM2/21/11
to android-qt
Hi,

It seem the reason is my background picture (
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Leaves+of+Roses?content=76295 )
and they are stupid enough to confuse art with pornography. Please use
http://blip.tv/file/4790125 video.

Cheers,
BogDan.

On Feb 22, 3:41 am, Lúcio Corrêa <lucio.cor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/2/22 Lúcio Corrêa <lucio.cor...@gmail.com>:
>
> > The project was slashdotted!
> >http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/11/02/22/0119247/First-Alpha-of-Qt-F...

Ashwin Kumar

Feb 22, 2011, 2:25:42 AM2/22/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Goooooogle needs reasons to block out something very useful for the world.
 * Google is scared *

I love your work BogDan.
--
-- Ashwin Kumar
+91-974-054-7793

BogDan Vatra

Feb 22, 2011, 3:04:14 AM2/22/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

It's only my fault, and I apologies for that inconvenient, I simply
didn't see it, probably somebody fond that picture disturbing, I
promise I'll be more careful next time.

Sorry,
BogDan.

mariuz

Feb 22, 2011, 7:58:15 AM2/22/11
to android-qt

On Feb 22, 10:04 am, BogDan Vatra <taipanroma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> It's only my fault, and I apologies for that inconvenient, I simply
> didn't see it, probably somebody fond that picture disturbing, I
> promise I'll be more careful next time.

news hit the slashdot

http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/11/02/22/0119247/First-Alpha-of-Qt-For-Android-Released#comments

and reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/fpkjj/necessitas_is_a_qt_suite_for_android_platform_i/

Gordon Schumacher

Feb 22, 2011, 9:52:57 AM2/22/11
to android-qt
On Feb 20, 9:38 am, BogDan <taipanroma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had a dream that one day, I'll be able to deploy existing Qt
> software on any Android platform.
> I had a dream that one day, all Qt applications will use system wide
> shared Qt libraries.
> I had a dream that one day, all Qt applications once compiled and
> deployed to one android platform, will run on any other newer android
> platform and will last for years without any recompilation.
> I had a dream that one day, I'll be able to create, manage, compile
> debug and deploy Qt apps using a first class citizen IDE.
>
> Now, those dreams become reality.

Well done indeed! Getting past the static-linkage issue is huge -
that makes it truly usable.

> Why don’t I use "Qt" and/or
> "Android" words? Because Nokia "recommended" me NOT to use "Qt",
> because more than 4 weeks ago I sent a mail to Google about "android"
> word and I get didn’t get an answer until now.

You mean, because of trademarks?? That seems a little odd to me - it
*is* the Qt code, and it *is* running on a platform called
"Android"...
Well, I don't know who you talked to, but if it was Cristy, I
certainly trust her judgement in this.

> Why latin? I don't know, maybe because I'm a latin :)

I have to admit, I've for a while been trying to figure out where you
were from based on your name.

> Before we get further I want to be crystal clear: This is an ALPHA
> release! Is not meant to be used in production, PLEASE don't deploy
> apps on Android Market because THE API IS NOT STABLE, please wait
> until Nokia (or us) will ship at least a beta version! I deployed a qt
> example (Animatedtiles) to Android Market ONLY to test Ministro
> package promise, but it will be removed soon.

That said, I would guess that it's fine to deploy the apps "by hand"
to friends for testing :)

> Because Qt API is not
> frozen yet, and if we need to add some API to Qt framework, now we
> have a good chance to push them to upstream Qt.

Hmm... depends on what you mean by that.
Not just the API - but also the ABI - of the public-facing interfaces
cannot be changed. Additional things may be added, but only with that
limitation. Though, I am sure you already know this. :)
So I guess I am trying to figure out what sort of thing you mean by
this - do you mean whole new sections of API?

> Also I want to make clear one more thing, this project is community
> work, Nokia and/or Google are not involved directly (yet, I hope :P )!
> Also, I'm very grateful to Google because they made a wonderful truly
> *free* O.S., I'm very grateful to Google because they have open minds
> and they allowed this to happen, I'm very grateful to Trolltech and
> Nokia because they made the best C++ framework ever: Qt framework, I'm
> very grateful to Trolltech and Nokia because they made a first class
> IDE for that framework.

I thought I'd heard something, at some point, which suggested that
Google frowned upon this sort of thing - not to the extent of, say,
Apple - but rather that there wasn't a way to install new system
libraries, to get around the whole static-linkage hack. I'm glad to
hear that this is not the case!

> (and don't forget, I had to do it only
> in my free time, it doesn't mean I hate my job, I'm happy with my
> current job, with what I'm doing every day (even if is not directly
> related with qt, but keeps my brain in good shape), I'm proud to be
> part of a great top developers team). It is extremely hard to think to
> big things and also to be very carefull to the details, that’s why
> you'll probably find a lot of stupid bugs, I also apologize for that
> too. Also, I want to thank to all pure souls, who helped me with this
> release.

Don't I understand that! It's amazing how much one can get done when
free of time constraints... :-P

> I have a dream today, I have a dream that now, you'll be convinced by
> this project’s potential and you'll join us in this beautiful journey,
> and together, will finish this wonderful project. (Now it’s time for
> you to say: keep on dreaming, sonny, keep on dreaming :) )

Keep on dreaming, only because you used the word "finish". A software
project is never truly "finished"...

> [...] with the most used mobile O.S out there? It's your choice!

A quibble: that's still Symbian. :)

An additional aside...
As a consumer, I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to have a phone
which runs Windows (and even less desire for one running iOS). But as
a developer, I want to see "Qt Everywhere" taken to heart to its
fullest extent. (Apparently five years ago, I was both behind the
times and ahead of my time with the partial port of Qt to DOS, which I
just discovered I still have sitting on my web server at
http://www.valleyhold.org/~gordons/Qt if anyone actually cares!) What
I'm saying, though, is that was great to be able to write an
application and, with a minimum of fuss, get it to run on all the
major desktop OSes. It's awesome that I can now write an application
and get it to run both on desktop and some mobile platforms, albeit
with the changes that one would expect to the UI, but probably not too
much more than that. But... that left me targeting WinCE (yes I know
it's not called that anymore) prior to version 7, Symbian, Maemo, and
"mobile Linux platform NOS" which explicitly did not include Android.
That left out two, possibly three, major targets: iOS, Android, and
recent Windows alphabet soup.

There's an iOS port out there in progress; I have no idea whether
Apple will ever give into pressure enough to allow it, but I can
hope. Likewise with Microsoft, though I don't hold out too much hope
on that one. When the Winkia deal was still but rumour, more
optimistic souls than I were theorizing that perhaps Nokia would get
special permission to install a Qt port; while I concede that Satan
was sweeping snow off his front walk a couple of years ago (http://
lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/20/167), I was pretty sure that wouldn't happen.
On the other hand, maybe someone will write a QML engine for
Silverlight...? :-D

> P.S. With your permission I would like to dedicate (only :P ) this
> release version to my son Radu, I had to sacrifice some of our free
> time to make this happen, so, this is how I can thank him !

I applaud your work on this, and have been wishing I had the time to
contribute... right now, the top project clamoring for my attention is
budgeting some time for sleep...!

Guilo

Feb 22, 2011, 10:01:58 AM2/22/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
THANKS a lot !

It finally comes true ! It was long awaited. Now, we need qt-mobility to be ported, openGL and iPhone version and we will have the perfect SDK for smarthpones, regardless the target device.

Hope this will be become supported by Nokia although they might work on version for Windows Phone 7 now...

Thanks for your great work !

Guilo

Feb 22, 2011, 10:10:18 AM2/22/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the double post (I didn't know it was impossible to edit post on Google Groups) but I have a question.

What happens to this project here on Google Code ? Is it synchronized with Necessitas on SourceForge ? How do they interact ?

Thanks again

Damien Buhl

Feb 22, 2011, 10:26:56 AM2/22/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guilo,

Currently we are using both, but they aren't interacting. BogDan choosed
the sourceforge infrastructure, because he didn't got enough space on
google code to host the precompiled necessitas sdk.

We are using git repositories of gitorious and using google code for the
mailing list.

This isn't really a choice I think, it's historical. ;) I don't know if
BogDan wants to unify and move everything to sourceforge or to something
else.

Cheers,
--
daminetreg

geno

Feb 22, 2011, 10:40:00 AM2/22/11
to android-qt
I had the same permission issue and just ran
chmod -R 755 /usr/local/android-ndk-r5/
and it took care of this issue and compiled the gdb helper just fine

Francisco Dalla Rosa Soares

Feb 22, 2011, 6:04:02 PM2/22/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Dont have the link here but it's also on (YCombinator's) Hacker News

2011/02/22 21:58 "mariuz" <map...@gmail.com>:

On Feb 22, 10:04 am, BogDan Vatra <taipanroma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> It's only...

matrixx

Feb 24, 2011, 4:51:59 PM2/24/11
to android-qt
Thanks for the great effort! I got my first Qt game running on
HoneyComb AVD (I don't own a real device).
Now I'm trying a bit more complicated setup: QML/Qt -app.
I didn't get the Ministro to download any Qt libs so I checked the
"use local qt libs" option.
Now I can see this line in compile log:

push: /tmp/
android_qt_libs_eu.licentia.necessitas.industrius.example.mash/lib/
libQtDeclarative.so -> /data/local/qt/lib/libQtDeclarative.so

So it clearly pushed QtDeclarative module to the AVD. Then it starts
the app and dies to this one:

I/Qt JAVA (17486): java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Cannot load
library: link_image[1966]: 31 could not load needed library
'libQtDeclarative.so' for 'libmash.so' (load_library[1108]: Library
'libQtDeclarative.so' not found)

Any ideas what might be wrong/missing?

Also I need help with Ministro, why it doesn't download the libs for
me? It just shows the spinner a while and says it's checking the libs,
but afterwards, my app fails to start with the same error than with
the local pushed qt libs :((

Thanks for the help in advance, I'm sure that I've just missed
something obvious from my setup.

- additional info:
linux86 sdk installed from binaries
android 3.0 - level 11 target
android sdk and ndk are installed
and 1.8.2

On Feb 20, 6:38 pm, BogDan <taipanroma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Necessitas SDK:http://sourceforge.net/projects/necessitas/files/
> For a seamless debugging exepience don't forget to replace official
> gdb with a newer one from:http://code.google.com/p/android-lighthouse/downloads/detail?name=gdb...
> Thanks to Damien Buhl, you can join the documentation athttp://sourceforge.net/p/necessitas/wiki/Home/
> A small screencast showing you what we accomplished until now:http://blip.tv/file/4790125or if you prefer youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMXUsfqUgYM
> Todo list for all projects:http://sourceforge.net/p/necessitas/wiki/Todo
>
> I'd like to end this announce with some quotes (which I like very
> much):
>
> Albert Einstein: "Only a life lived for others is a life worth while"
> A pure soul on the net added to that: "Happiness is nothing unless you
> have someone to share it with. Those ...

Amos

Feb 24, 2011, 7:46:47 PM2/24/11
to android-qt
Thank you so much for releasing this, I think you've made my year (and
we're only in February)

I've successfully downloaded AnimatedTiles from the Market and ran it.
It asked to download Ministro from the Market, installed it and then
eventually downloaded the Qt libraries and installed them.
AnimatedTiles then ran flawlessly on my HTC Desire HD running 2.2 from
Orange in the UK.

Thanks again.

Amos

Radu - Ionut Kurta

Feb 26, 2011, 2:21:35 PM2/26/11
to android-qt
Dude this is so cool I am a fan of both android and qt i will look
around your page to see if there is any way to contribute to your
project.