Preloaded Ministro

Ole-Johan

Feb 28, 2011, 9:25:02 AM2/28/11
to android-qt
Hi.

I would be interrested in a scenario where we can pre-load Minstro
together with our app so that the user does not have to download the
libraries. I guess we could deploy the libs ourselves like we have
done up until now, but I can also see the upside of still using
Ministro, e.g. if a newer version of the Qt libs are available, or if
we make a version of our app where even more libs are required. Then
our app would remain small but Ministro would download what's
necessary. So I would prefer our app to be part of the Ministro
deployment mechanism, just with the opportunity of preloading the libs
when practical.

Any thoughts of a "pre-loaded" Ministro apk or something like that?
Obviously, it does not make that much sence putting such a thing on
marked, because then you'd need to download it anyway. So it would be
for "mass-deployment" purposes.

Best regards,
Ole-Johan

PS! BogDan, I'm really excited about Necessitas and Ministro. It has
been fun to use this port for some time and witness the speed of
maturity! Cudos to you!!

BogDan Vatra

Feb 28, 2011, 10:50:02 PM2/28/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ole,

2011/2/28 Ole-Johan <ole-...@ellingsen.net>:

> Hi.
>
> I would be interrested in a scenario where we can pre-load Minstro
> together with our app so that the user does not have to download the
> libraries. I guess we could deploy the libs ourselves like we have
> done up until now, but I can also see the upside of still using
> Ministro, e.g. if a newer version of the Qt libs are available, or if
> we make a version of our app where even more libs are required. Then
> our app would remain small but Ministro would download what's
> necessary. So I would prefer our app to be part of the Ministro
> deployment mechanism, just with the opportunity of preloading the libs
> when practical.

I added support for prebundle libs, BUT I do NOT recommend to
prebundle any qt libs with your application(s).
IMHO Using Ministro service is the best way to deploy Qt apps on
Android platform, you don't have to worry about anything: if is a bug
in Qt libraries, Ministro will take care about it (it will upgrade qt
libraries, the size will not increase when you upgrade qt libraries
because it will keep only the new ones), also, if the device system is
upgraded Ministro will download qt libraries for that android version,
so I don't see any inconvenient for you to not use Ministro service.

> Any thoughts of a "pre-loaded" Ministro apk or something like that?
> Obviously, it does not make that much sence putting such a thing on
> marked, because then you'd need to download it anyway. So it would be
> for "mass-deployment" purposes.

Ministro service is shared by all Qt Apps on that device, I don't
think is a good idea to ship Ministro with all Qt Apps. Also, I don't
find very hard the installation procedure of Ministro service for a
normal user.

> Best regards,
> Ole-Johan
>
> PS! BogDan, I'm really excited about Necessitas and Ministro. It has
> been fun to use this port for some time and witness the speed of
> maturity! Cudos to you!!

Thank you very much.
BogDan.

Ole-Johan

Mar 1, 2011, 3:42:07 AM3/1/11
to android-qt
Yes, I agree with all you say, as I tried to post initially aswell. I
want to use Ministro as the library manager!! :)

Let me clarify with an example: We have a spesific app for the
enterprise segment, not consumer, and when we sell this we also often
sell the device aswell. We even have a case where we get the app
preloaded from the phone distributor. In either case, someone on "our"
side installs the app on a "clean" device, i.e. the device will not
have Ministro from other Qt apps. Say that we sell 1000 devices to one
single customer (this is not hypothetical :) ), where the customer
wants us to set everything up. Then it would be great to be able to
install both our app, Ministro and the libs we need without having to
connect to marked. In fact, that would be a significant inconvenience.

Again, I totally understand the concept of Ministro and as i stated in
my first post, I want the features it gives regarding updating libs
and adding libs if our app needs more libs some day. And I see that
for the typical consumer user, who finds his app on market,
downloading Ministro and the libs too makes perfect sense. It's just
that in our case, we need to install our app and related libs on 1000
units to the lowest cost. :)

In this regard, enterprise apps have slightly different needs than
consumer apps regarding deployment.

I hope this makes more sense now. :)

Best regards, Ole-Johan

On Mar 1, 4:50 am, BogDan Vatra <taipanroma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ole,

BogDan Vatra

Mar 1, 2011, 10:13:03 PM3/1/11
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

2011/3/1 Ole-Johan <ole-...@ellingsen.net>:

> Yes, I agree with all you say, as I tried to post initially aswell. I
> want to use Ministro as the library manager!! :)
>
> Let me clarify with an example: We have a spesific app for the
> enterprise segment, not consumer, and when we sell this we also often
> sell the device aswell. We even have a case where we get the app
> preloaded from the phone distributor. In either case, someone on "our"
> side installs the app on a "clean" device, i.e. the device will not
> have Ministro from other Qt apps. Say that we sell 1000 devices to one
> single customer (this is not hypothetical :) ), where the customer
> wants us to set everything up. Then it would be great to be able to
> install both our app, Ministro and the libs we need without having to
> connect to marked. In fact, that would be a significant inconvenience.

Cristal clear ! :).

> Again, I totally understand the concept of Ministro and as i stated in
> my first post, I want the features it gives regarding updating libs
> and adding libs if our app needs more libs some day. And I see that
> for the typical consumer user, who finds his app on market,
> downloading Ministro and the libs too makes perfect sense. It's just
> that in our case, we need to install our app and related libs on 1000
> units to the lowest cost. :)

You can download Ministro package from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ministro.necessitas.p/files/ and
install it manually, but ... you have to let Ministro to download Qt
libraries/plugins :), I don't recommend you to do it for Ministro,
because if you'll make one mistake (e.g. set wrong rights to qt
libraries) Ministro will not be able to server your applications or to
upgrade qt libraries.

Please open an issue on abut it, and I'll try to find a better
solution for this problem (also if you have an idea I'm open for
suggestions) .

> In this regard, enterprise apps have slightly different needs than
> consumer apps regarding deployment.
>
> I hope this makes more sense now. :)
>
> Best regards, Ole-Johan

Cheers,
BogDan.

Ole-Johan

Mar 4, 2011, 6:54:12 AM3/4/11
to android-qt
OK, great. We don't need it right away, so let's think about it and
try to find a generic solution. I'll create an issue. :)

Best regards, Ole-Johan